ADVERTISEMENT

Proposed Riding Time rule change

Fleeing the mat doesn't exist in college anymore. I agree it "should" be stalling, but guys can probably make it look like they're not (see also: neutral out of bounds situations today).
Really, no more Fleeing the mat call?

It does still exist.

Art. 9. Stalling by Fleeing. Fleeing or attempting to flee the wrestling area as a means of avoiding being scored upon.
Art. 10. Stalling by Pushing or Pulling — Offensive or Defensive Position. Pushing or pulling the opponent out of bounds so as to force a restart.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
It does still exist.

Art. 9. Stalling by Fleeing. Fleeing or attempting to flee the wrestling area as a means of avoiding being scored upon.
Art. 10. Stalling by Pushing or Pulling — Offensive or Defensive Position. Pushing or pulling the opponent out of bounds so as to force a restart.

Yeah it's basically just stalling. No automatic point.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
It does still exist.

May be in the rulebook, but if it is never called...., than the poster is correct, it doesn't really exist. I've seen multiple matches where the top wrestler has dragged the bottom wrestler OB while walking backwards - no call of any kind and accumulated riding time the entire time and was given a restart on top to accumulate more riding time by just hanging on and doing absolutely nothing offensively. The rules clearly say the top wrestler shall be called for stalling if he runs the bottom wrestler off the mat by either pushing into him or pulling him (i.e., walking backwards and pulling bottom wrestler forcing him to also walk backwards) - but I've seen top wrestlers run the bottom wrestler off the mat via pushing or pulling so many times with zero calls it's ridiculous. If the Refs collectively refuse to enforce the clearly written rule, than it "in effect" does not exist, just as the OP stated. The notion that it's the bottom wrestler is the one "fleeing the mat" is ridiculous - the bottom wrestler holds a huge advantage on a top wrestler who is struggling to return them to the mat, the bottom wrestler would NEVER be looking for a restart in these circumstances (the Ref is to call stalling on top wrestler if they are unable to return bottom wrestler to mat for a prolonged period of time, so there is no way it's the bottom wrestler who is looking for a restart.). An OB restart benefits a top wrestler exclusively in this situation (i.e., top wrestler struggling to return bottom wrestler to mat from a standing position), but you never see stalling called on top wrestler even when the bottom wrestler stands up again right after restart and top wrestler takes him OB again and again to get a restart and continue building RT.

So my wife gave me the look again and asked what I was reading on the wrestling thread. I retorted we are discussing changing the riding time for wrestling. She responded with maybe you should be discussing changing your riding time in the bedroom big boy wtf with women already

ADVERTISEMENT