ADVERTISEMENT

Proposed Changes after watching the tournament

Yes, to change rules, you would have to re-write existing rules. However, I stand by my claim that you haven't thought through your weigh-in proposal, as it's an absolute disaster as you proposed it.

I disagree. Have people weigh in their singlet with shoes, etc. and make the appropriate allowance for it.

I feel like there is (not always, I'll admit) great action on the edge! That scramble between Mark and Zahid was blisteringly hot.

Another rule I'd like to see (if only the nation's venues could accommodate) is 10' of unimpeded mat around the circle. Kuhn might have stuck Nato fer cryin' out loud!
I'm skeptical of the pushout. That said, I see no good reason that great action on the edge couldn't happen in the center of the mat instead.

And I absolutely agree with adding more out of bounds mat area. The Kuhn match is one thing. IMO it's more about safety. That time a couple years ago when Cox ran Wellington hard into the scorer's table, upside down, head first ... Wellington was lucky to not be paralyzed. That was ugly, and avoidable.

I'm skeptical of the pushout. That said, I see no good reason that great action on the edge couldn't happen in the center of the mat instead.

And I absolutely agree with adding more out of bounds mat area. The Kuhn match is one thing. IMO it's more about safety. That time a couple years ago when Cox ran Wellington hard into the scorer's table, upside down, head first ... Wellington was lucky to not be paralyzed. That was ugly, and avoidable.
Yeah yeah yeah, safety schmafety.... :p

With respect to no reason great action can't happen in the center--you're not wrong in theory, but there's something about the "edge" that great wrestlers seem to use to their advantage to create--that's my feeling anyway. I have nothing to back it up.

If we were able to get larger mats, I'd be open to the Freestyle "continuation" rule too.

I think one of the hard things here, is PSU wrestlers are almost always pushing action. My blue colored glasses really obscure the bigger picture around this specific issue. What we have now seems great to me....

Oh, and I feel the danger rule was a great step forward.

Reactions: El-Jefe
Going back to the original proposition, weighing right next to the mat isn't practical, simply because if someone doesn't quite make weight at that point they'd be out, when in reality, if you don't make it the first time, you get some time to try a second time, or so I understand.

Yeah yeah yeah, safety schmafety.... :p

With respect to no reason great action can't happen in the center--you're not wrong in theory, but there's something about the "edge" that great wrestlers seem to use to their advantage to create--that's my feeling anyway. I have nothing to back it up.

If we were able to get larger mats, I'd be open to the Freestyle "continuation" rule too.

I think one of the hard things here, is PSU wrestlers are almost always pushing action. My blue colored glasses really obscure the bigger picture around this specific issue. What we have now seems great to me....

Oh, and I feel the danger rule was a great step forward.

Yes, the danger rule worked out surprisingly well. Definitely a step in the right direction.

I don't like the arbitrary nature of the stalling for going out of bounds calls. I also don't like the pushout alternative. Just get rid of it and call stalling if it's stalling. Have seen too many head scratcher stall calls for someone going out of bounds where they clearly weren't stalling and if anything were just trying to speed up resetting the action in the center of the mat.

Finally, I like the idea of giving choice to your opponent if you lose a challenge just like they handle injury time.

So in summary:

1) 1-hour weigh-ins or some variation of it before a wrestler's first session of the day.
2) Keep the danger rule.
3) Lose the automatic stall calls for going out of bounds and just call stalling appropriately.
4) Opponent gets choice if you lose a challenge.
5) Cut the bonus points in half in the consolation bracket (or double them in the championship bracket for those who don't like adding decimals).

Again, I've thought it through. There are relatively simple solutions to every roadblock you've listed above. For example, keep the scales available for wrestlers to check their weight earlier. Keep the 1-hour weigh-in with skin check. I could go on but you get the idea. However, my proposed change would be that they have to meet weight (or any agreed upon allowance) right before they step on the mat.

Your idea would basically eliminate any weight cutting or only allow for very minimal weight cutting. In high school I only cut a maximum of 10 pounds for a season but even then I'm not really drinking any fluids or eating anything until after I weigh in. You're asking guys to step onto the mat potentially dehydrated and no food in their stomach.

Reactions: caelschin
Your idea would basically eliminate any weight cutting or only allow for very minimal weight cutting. In high school I only cut a maximum of 10 pounds for a season but even then I'm not really drinking any fluids or eating anything until after I weigh in. You're asking guys to step onto the mat potentially dehydrated and no food in their stomach.

Exactly. Or don't engage in unsafe practices. I went down 30 pounds from my football weight for wrestling my senior year of high school and made it a point to stay at least 3 pounds under during wrestling season. I never ate after weigh-ins and didn't have to worry about drinking water because I wasn't dehydrating. It can be done.

i enjoy mat wrestling, but they need to start hitting the top man for stalling more

when i guy rides completely behind his opponents hips the entire time, making no effort to turn his opponent, that is text book stalling (IE: Kyle Dake)

this is also a big problem at the youth level IMO, especially with the 1 minute periods

a kid on our team (probably our best young kid) was in a tough match, down a point to start the 3rd. got a reversal in about 10 seconds and then just held his guy with a tight waist and wrist for 50 seconds. im coaching him but thinking he has to get hit for stalling. never did
The parallel ride was considered stalling at one point and somewhere along the line it was reinterpreted. It is much easier to ride if you can stay back on the hips. I would like to see the parallel ride eliminated. The rule pushout rule is also being interpreted differently. When a wrestler refuses to allow a wrestler to come in bounds or pushes the opposition out just to get a stall call is stalling IMO.

If college wrestling ever went to push out points, I feel a Zone needs added to all mats, all mats need to be the same size and there needs to be a 2nd ref for all matches

Going back to the original proposition, weighing right next to the mat isn't practical, simply because if someone doesn't quite make weight at that point they'd be out, when in reality, if you don't make it the first time, you get some time to try a second time, or so I understand.

The proposal isn't practical, though not for the reason you listed.

In duals, the ref conducts weigh-ins by weight class. If a wrestler doesn't make weight, they get to step off, step back on, and are weighed again. They are limited to 3 attempts. Once all the wrestlers at that weight for both teams have been weighed in, then the weight class is closed, so if a wrestler missed weight they are out. That's why wrestlers will check their weight an hour or more before the weigh-in, and work out if they are over or just at the weight.

In tournaments, it's pretty much the same general process, with a minor tweak. They typically use multiple scales to move the process along. Weigh-ins are done by weight class. If a wrestler does not make weight on their initial weigh-in, then after all other wrestlers at that weight class have weighed in, that wrestler gets one attempt to qualify at each other scale used in the process. After these additional attempts are concluded, for all wrestlers that did not make weight on their 1st attempt, then that weight class is closed.

You're right. And this is generally wrong -- not the you're right part, but wrestlers using the edge to create.

I don't mind it so much when action starts closer to the center, and things just happen to get to the edge -- and the offensive guy finds a creative and/or athletic way to keep things in bounds.

I do mind it when action starts close to the edge, and especially when the defensive guy finds creative ways to force action out or at least force the offensive guy out to neutralize him.

One other thing about the edge rules: the rule change from a few years ago, allowing action and scoring with any part of either wrestler still in bounds, was an overwhelming success. The one drawback is guys doing absolutely nothing but stall riding, keeping one toe or one finger in bounds to kill clock. I think I saw a matches at nationals where the refs stopped action when that happened -- good.

What is the reasoning for the proposed matside weigh-ins? Who was wronged by the way it is today?

Yes, the danger rule worked out surprisingly well. Definitely a step in the right direction.

I don't like the arbitrary nature of the stalling for going out of bounds calls. I also don't like the pushout alternative. Just get rid of it and call stalling if it's stalling. Have seen too many head scratcher stall calls for someone going out of bounds where they clearly weren't stalling and if anything were just trying to speed up resetting the action in the center of the mat.

Finally, I like the idea of giving choice to your opponent if you lose a challenge just like they handle injury time.

So in summary:

1) 1-hour weigh-ins or some variation of it before a wrestler's first session of the day.
2) Keep the danger rule.
3) Lose the automatic stall calls for going out of bounds and just call stalling appropriately.
5) Cut the bonus points in half in the consolation bracket (or double them in the championship bracket for those who don't like adding decimals).
Like these, though "call stalling appropriately" unfortunately is akin to "tie Congressional salaries to the national debt." Doesn't mean we stop pressing for it, but good luck.

Yes, sort of. What it would eliminate is the massive, last minute, weight cutting. Essentially, if you showed up to the mat dehydrated you'd probably lose. Wrestlers would need to get their weight under control and maintain that weight, within a couple of pounds or so, all season long.

I can think of several other positive side effects and I can't think of a negative one.

Reactions: matter7172
If you are that deprived of nutrition and fluids, you need to be up at the next weight class. You shouldn't be.

Reactions: Agoodnap
I see lots of discussion over the push out. I'd like to propose that the top wrestler gets hit with stalling if he pushes the bottom wrestler out from behind. Watching a bottom guy fight to get to his feet only to have the top guy run him out of bounds without any attempt at a takedown is just boring and not wrestling, imo.
How does one run a bottom guy out of bounds? Is bottom not resisting when pressureis applied? Come on. Resist. If you were going to lose a point, you just might consider resisting.

You could also change riding time to it only accrues after a takedown or reversal.
never heard that one before... I don't have any problem w the riding time point as is and I think it adds some drama, but if riding for riding's sake is a real problem, this would be a decent compromise.

If moving forward was the criteria for aggressiveness, Sam Stoll would be the most watched wrestler at NCAAs for all the excitement he generates.
Like x 1000. This is why I am not crazy about a pushout point. Some wrestlers would do nothing except play defense and win by pushout. There would be no reason for a guy like Coon to even take a shot. Get an underhook and push forward. WOuldn't get called for stalling because he is so big and powerful that he doesn't have to back up. It would be sumo. Much smarter wrestling guys than me (including Byers) are in favor of the pushout point, so I am probably wrong, but I see downsides.

Reactions: psualt
Stuff like this cracks me up to no end. Cox added 23 lb in less than 18 hrs, then competed and won titles? Come on.

I'd love to see what happens when someone attempts to drink that much fluid in that little time. Too bad Jackass was canceled.
You don’t have to drink that much fluid to gain all of that weight, nor should you! Athletic trainer/team doctor can run IV’s of saline all day and that fluid goes directly back into the muscle and does not have to pass through the digestive system. It has been used for years in sports with weight classes like boxing, wrestling, and powerlifting. I have done it and have seen it done to break WR in powerlifting.

I see lots of discussion over the push out. I'd like to propose that the top wrestler gets hit with stalling if he pushes the bottom wrestler out from behind. Watching a bottom guy fight to get to his feet only to have the top guy run him out of bounds without any attempt at a takedown is just boring and not wrestling, imo.
pretty sure this is already a rule.

You don’t have to drink that much fluid to gain all of that weight, nor should you! Athletic trainer/team doctor can run IV’s of saline all day and that fluid goes directly back into the muscle and does not have to pass through the digestive system. It has been used for years in sports with weight classes like boxing, wrestling, and powerlifting. I have done it and have seen it done to break WR in powerlifting.
True, but you can't have an IV without a bandage, right? Where were the bandages or the tape jobs covering the bandages? If no bandages, wouldn't there likely be somebody bleeding (other than Meredith and Snyder from the forehead)?

True, but you can't have an IV without a bandage, right? Where were the bandages or the tape jobs covering the bandages? If no bandages, wouldn't there likely be somebody bleeding (other than Meredith and Snyder from the forehead)?
There are plenty of IV's going in the locker rooms at nationals.

There are plenty of IV's going in the locker rooms at nationals.
I don't doubt that. But I'm still asking: who were the guys getting IVs on Saturday to gain weight? How long did they have to be under the drip to gain that much weight? Where were the bandages, tape jobs, and blood?

As long as you have normal clotting factors without any medication thinners place and hold bandage on site for a few minutes and bleeding is done. There would be a mark and if done regularly, marks.

As long as you have normal clotting factors without any medication thinners place and hold bandage on site for a few minutes and bleeding is done. There would be a mark and if done regularly, marks.
True, and to some extent that would alleviate bandages and tape jobs ... except this is a very physical sport, old wounds open all the time -- see the Snyder-Coon matches. One would think some wound would've reopened in some match.

I'll back off this. Didn't mean to rabbit hole this thread.

Reactions: nitlion6

So in summary:

2) Keep the danger rule.

I like the stalling when backing off the mat rule. What I do not like is the inconsistency of the calls. A big reason I would hate to get rid of it and depend upon officials to just call stalling is when a direct objective is removed and replaced with subjectivity, call consistency completely disappears.

A call I would love to see implemented for mat wrestling as well as neutral offensive wrestling (scrambling) is once a singular wrestler stops working to improve his position call stalling.

True, and to some extent that would alleviate bandages and tape jobs ... except this is a very physical sport, old wounds open all the time -- see the Snyder-Coon matches. One would think some wound would've reopened in some match.

I'll back off this. Didn't mean to rabbit hole this thread.
Ok, we will let both of us with a stall warning.

Reactions: El-Jefe
The response to having NO bonus points will most likely result in a different kind of problem. If team P has and absolute stud wrestling.....and team O has a very weak wrestler at that weight. and team O is up by 2 points in the Championship......Team O decides the medically Forfeit so Team P only gets 1 point instead of a guaranteed 2 1/2 or 3. Do you think every team would refuse to take advantage of it? It could happen at any point in the competition. After checking the pairings you can use a medical forfeit to get the best match-up in the next round while giving your wrestler extra rest while also making certain the opposing team gets no bonus points.

I think a fair compromise would be to have the previously eliminated wrestler (from the previous championship or conso bracket) wrestle in place of the guy who med forfeited out. That wrestler could no longer earn team points but could advance their placement.

This way no one get a match off or free bonus points.

If a wrestler is on bottom and gets to the point where both wrestlers are on their feet with the bottom wrestler holding on to the controlling wrestler's elevated leg (hopping), an escape is awarded. In such a situation it is ludicrous that the wrestler doing the hop is still accruing riding time. Don't let the riding time clock continue to run on the chance of awarding a reversal. If there is a subsequent take down, award the two points. This would work nicely in conjunction with three points for a reversal.

I think a fair compromise would be to have the previously eliminated wrestler (from the previous championship or conso bracket) wrestle in place of the guy who med forfeited out. That wrestler could no longer earn team points but could advance their placement.

This way no one get a match off or free bonus points.
I think I like the idea in theory. There were a couple examples this year where it might apply -- in the final medal matches: 125 7th (Bresser over Moisey) and 174 5th (BoJo over Kutler).

If understand your idea correctly:
- 125: Moisey elimiinated LaMont. Therefore LaMont could wrestle in the 7th/8th match. Then two 8th place medals would be given (Moisey and the Bresser/LaMont loser). Right?
- 174: This one is a lot more complicated. Kutler beat Kocer in the consi quarters, then injury defaulted to Lewis in the consi semis. Therefore, Kocer would wrestle Jordan for 5th, and two 6th place medals would be given (Kutler and the Jordan/Kocer loser). Then Kocer would need to be replaced in the 7th place match -- we then promote Bernstein (who Kocer eliminated in the bloodround)?

Not sure I'd like this if I'm the wrestler who now has to face a resuscitated opponent. Generally more wrestling is good, and you have to beat the guy in front of you. However, I'd be pissed if I missed a medal because I lost to a guy who was already eliminated. Why does he get another chance and I don't?

I think I'd take it even worse if I got knocked out of the winners' bracket by a guy who already lost. And in that case, I don't know how to square team points -- can't award team points for his subsequent advancement, but what would he have earned in consis?

Slow the bailing out of getting taken down by leaping out of bounds.
Virtually no one leaps out of bounds anymore without getting called for stalling. IMO, it's more likely that a wrestler who sprawls effectively gets nailed for stalling on the edge if he doesn't immediately reengage.

If a wrestler is on bottom and gets to the point where both wrestlers are on their feet with the bottom wrestler holding on to the controlling wrestler's elevated leg (hopping), an escape is awarded. In such a situation it is ludicrous that the wrestler doing the hop is still accruing riding time. Don't let the riding time clock continue to run on the chance of awarding a reversal. If there is a subsequent take down, award the two points. This would work nicely in conjunction with three points for a reversal.
There are two fixes to this both which don't need a rule change. Finish the reversal or let him go.

Reactions: nitlion6
Sorry I confused you. I meant that they weigh-in RIGHT before they step on the mat to wrestle. This should eliminate serious cutting.
Wouldn’t that mean that they would cut weight right up until the match? How is that better?

Just curious after reading 117 posts...is college wrestling really in need of major rule changes? Current rules apply to all, so the playing field is level, imo.

Tweaking to add excitement as the sport tries to grow seems reasonable to me. Change for change sake is insanity, and modifying rules where no problem exists is a waste.

Reactions: psualt
Virtually no one leaps out of bounds anymore without getting called for stalling. IMO, it's more likely that a wrestler who sprawls effectively gets nailed for stalling on the edge if he doesn't immediately reengage.
Disagree. First, I should have said "hop" not "leap". Guy gets a single leg and they are both moving all over the mat. They get close to edge and defensive wrestler works his way out of bounds. Lurches out of bounds pulling offensive guy with him. Tug of war. It's wrestling, yes, but it is also a means to escape the takedown. Saw it many times at NCAAs. Do splits, etc.

Last edited:
yea, may be the one that needs fixed right away!! Solution, award the escape right away... if the wrestler turns it into a reversal then give him one more at that time. But the first escape is critical to stop the riding time clock when top man is not even close to being in control.

I want fleeing called more like international styles.
If a guy gets to a leg and you bail out of bounds, BAM... Ding 'em.
If you're on bottom and don't make every attempt to stay in bounds, BAM... Ding 'em.
If you're on top, bottom stands up, and you run them out of bounds, BAM... Ding 'em.

Too many guys look to the out of bounds as a way out or to a fresh start, and especially in folkstyle, where a fresh start can mean the world to a match, I want a guy dinged for willingly leaving the wrestling surface.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT