ADVERTISEMENT

Problems with the Run Game: Film Study

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
PSU RUN GAME FILM STUDY

One aspect that I didn't consider -- but that the video brings to light -- is that Yurcich's tempo might sacrifice scheme for the sake of going fast. I'd also like to see way less of the 2 TE and 3 TE packages. Not sure what having Theo, Strange and Warren on the field at the same time brings to the table. It almost feels like they're playing in a phone booth, and if one guy screws up there's not room for the RB to improv because there's just so much humanity in a small space. It felt like Yurcich's Okla State run game used a lot of 20 personnel with wider splits from the receivers.

Wider spilts of WR don’t matter when guys miss assignments. That is what is happening.
One guy causes the breakdown. It is a work in progress. Second OC in 2 years and schemes are different also. They will get there and as video indicated, it is tweaking the blocking assignments so folks know who to hit. A difference seen from this video is that Lovett has more awareness of where to go when things are clogged vs Lee.

As great as our pass blocking has been, it doesn't hurt my feelings that the run blocking is a little behind. Look at last year's pass blocking and you can tell that it's been the primary focus. I've not had time to watch this video yet. It's usually good stuff.

This piss poor run blocking has been going on for years. 2017 against OSU at the Shoe. We had first down at the 7 YL thanks to a to IIRC. We could have put the game away with a TD. Three RPO's later we were still on the 7 YL; we did not gain a freaking inch. Kicked FG, up by 10 and lost the game with 6 minutes left.

SB and McSorley had great games running thanks to there ability, but overall we have be stuffed at the LOS for too many years. The first play against Wisky with Cain be dumped for a 2 yard loss was a signal of our OL run blocking this year!

A lot has been made of the complexity of our sets and motions. There is a lot to digest, as a player, pre-snap. So missed assignments are the downside. Other coaches, JoMo, coached a more simplified method where the sets and motions are more standardized to keep the kids from having to think pre-snap so they can concentrate on the task at hand. Its a balance. Einstein said, "everything should be as simple as possible, but no simpler". Which is really a great line.

I didn't watch the entire film but you can see Lovett miss the hole when the targeted LB dove inside and Lovett went with him instead of kicking it outside. The one where a M-linebacker nails SC it is just a great play. I disagree with the announcer who says the WR should have cracked back on the linebacker and he surely would have brought the S with him. The linebacker makes a great, quick read and blows up the play. As OC, you fake that RPO and flood that vacated area with a TE or RB to keep the LB from crashing in which then opens the RPO run back up the next play.

CJF said that he is not upset about the running game as our four opponents keyed to stop the run which has made us pass happy. The inference is that as teams move to respect the pass, the running game will get better.

Finally, we are playing some young TEs who are really great but don't have a ton of game experience (a full year as a starter) and with a new OC. So it isn't bad news since we are 4-0 but will need to get better as we go into the meat of the B1G schedule.

This piss poor run blocking has been going on for years. 2017 against OSU at the Shoe. We had first down at the 7 YL thanks to a to IIRC. We could have put the game away with a TD. Three RPO's later we were still on the 7 YL; we did not gain a freaking inch. Kicked FG, up by 10 and lost the game with 6 minutes left.

SB and McSorley had great games running thanks to there ability, but overall we have be stuffed at the LOS for too many years. The first play against Wisky with Cain be dumped for a 2 yard loss was a signal of our OL run blocking this year!
If you want to have a good running game, you have to have a commitment to it. That means probably having a fullback and not abandoning it just because it may get stuffed in the first quarter. However, current football, both college and pro, emphasizes one running back and four receivers.

If you want to watch how to play football with an effective running game, watch the 1980s PSU games that the Big 10 Network shows. It's a beautiful thing to watch. However, our passing game back then was below average. Therefore, if you commit to the running game, the passing game probably won't be as effective. Obviously, the majority of coaches believe that the passing game is the way to go these days.

Finally, ND, which has produced a lot of good o-linemen recently, just rushed for a total of 3 yards against Wisconsin. Think about that. Very few teams run the ball well these days because it's just not emphasized anymore.

If you want to have a good running game, you have to have a commitment to it. That means probably having a fullback and not abandoning it just because it may get stuffed in the first quarter. However, current football, both college and pro, emphasizes one running back and four receivers.

If you want to watch how to play football with an effective running game, watch the 1980s PSU games that the Big 10 Network shows. It's a beautiful thing to watch. However, our passing game back then was below average. Therefore, if you commit to the running game, the passing game probably won't be as effective. Obviously, the majority of coaches believe that the passing game is the way to go these days.

Finally, ND, which has produced a lot of good o-linemen recently, just rushed for a total of 3 yards against Wisconsin. Think about that. Very few teams run the ball well these days because it's just not emphasized anymore.
yeah....we've played against two very good defenses in Wisconsin and Auburn.

I believe offenses today are situational in the run/pass balance. More and more teams just take what the defense is giving them. PSU is blessed to have a very balanced offense and a QB, who may not be the most gifted physically, making good decisions. The offense, after the first half against Wisconsin, has played really well overall.

yeah....we've played against two very good defenses in Wisconsin and Auburn.

I believe offenses today are situational in the run/pass balance. More and more teams just take what the defense is giving them. PSU is blessed to have a very balanced offense and a QB, who may not be the most gifted physically, making good decisions. The offense, after the first half against Wisconsin, has played really well overall.
I agree with your point about the run defenses of Wisconsin and Auburn, and especially Wisconsin. It doesn't seem like anybody is going to be able to run against them this season; I'll be interested to see how Michigan runs against them this weekend. However, I expected much more from the running game against Villanova; I actually thought that we would use that game as a glorified scrimmage to work on the running game, but it just never materialized.

I also am beginning to think that our running backs corp is pretty average; none of them have any burst right now. Lee looked much better last season than he has this season, and they just refuse to use Cain as a workhorse for whatever reason; he does seem to be hurt constantly.

Last edited:
First, our plays take too long. The back often don’t move for while the others take two steps. Then on these read options, it gives the backers and DBs time to come up to stop the run. It is also a reason the pass plays work......the DBs are looking the backfield and anxious to come up. So while there are benefits to the read option we should also mix in some quick hitting dives that hit the holes quickly.

On that last play, two linemen missed their blocks on backers. Seem seeems thye need to work on downfield blocking. In games things move much faster than practice so these guys just whiffed on the blocks as the misjudged the speed.

Expecting the runs to improve. Just takes time.

I think "WE" have the problem identified and we can only hope the coaches are listening:
The Problem is:
1. Coaching: Little to no difference between Trautwein and Limegrover.
2. Scheme: Formations, alignment and blocking rules
3. Personnel: We haven't had a road grader since the 90's
4. Running Backs: They pretty much suck

While I am not among the more than "two dozen accomplished coaches and former coaches" that frequent here...
let me offer this; Very few OC's and programs have an offensive philosophy of "imposing their will" on a defense.
The modern games offensively seems to be centered around "having the numbers advantage" and 'taking what the defense gives you."
Running the ball will be important at some point, but as long as PSU can get explosive plays in the passing game and short passes on the perimeter (just like a running game), I think the angst is overdone and perhaps rooted in the game that no longer exists.

It aint the 80's and you dont need a FB for a good running game.

Guys, I think they are hiding a ton of stuff for Iowa and OSU.

True, but that doesn't cover the two major issues: Missed blocking assignments and an inability to get short yardage push.

In an FCS game you learn little about what you do well, but a lot about what you do not do well.

Reactions: scrivener
It aint the 80's and you dont need a FB for a good running game.
Not sure what game, but think I saw the TE serve as lead blocker on a few plays. It was effective. Hopefully, they will develop that element down the line.

Wider spilts of WR don’t matter when guys miss assignments. That is what is happening.
One guy causes the breakdown. It is a work in progress. Second OC in 2 years and schemes are different also. They will get there and as video indicated, it is tweaking the blocking assignments so folks know who to hit. A difference seen from this video is that Lovett has more awareness of where to go when things are clogged vs Lee.
Totally agree w/this, at least from the small sample shown in the video. As other posters have said in this and other threads, I do think MY is playing it somewhat close the vest and saving some things for Iowa and OSU. After Indinia is taken care of I suppose we'll see...

Does the guy that does the videos coach anywhere. I enjoy his breakdowns and thinks he makes some really great points on things.

I don’t care how well a team runs the ball, a great defensive team will usually take away the run. I want my team to be able to move the chains by having the ability to run in short yardage situations. In spite of our very ordinary run stats, this team has shown the ability to do that, especially when we don’t get too cute with the play calling. The two most important touchdowns this year were scored by running the ball in.

Video is great. Makes it clear that the problems are new scheme, young TE's. WR's and TE's missing blocking assignments on zone read.
MY and position coaches have probably spent a lot more time working on the passing game with those guys (WR and TE) than the blocking assignments.
None of the problems seemed to be due to our OL being weak or not physical. OL are clearly physical enough, you don't pass block well against great pass rushing fronts (Wisky and Auburn) without being plenty physical.
Again the video is great. Funny that a lot of posts here seem to be from folks who haven't yet watched it!

Reactions: BlueLion
Totally agree w/this, at least from the small sample shown in the video. As other posters have said in this and other threads, I do think MY is playing it somewhat close the vest and saving some things for Iowa and OSU. After Indinia is taken care of I suppose we'll see...
Seriously doubt MY is holding anything back against Wisky or Auburn. This is just a work in progress with a new scheme and mostly the position players who haven't yet learned all of their blocking assignments. The blocking scheme as well as the whole offense is new. Looks like the OL knows it but TE's and WR's are still figuring it out.

Reactions: PSUSignore
Our passing game is 5 Star along with our defense, but I believe we have to get the running game going to beat OSU, UM, and MSU.

Did anyone notice how fast that kid Jackson from Villanova hit the hole and gained about 12 yards? Our RB's do not run like that for some reason. The two RB's from Auburn did the same all game, they hit the holes big time, and the one kid Hunter is only a freshman, 3 star.

Does the guy that does the videos coach anywhere. I enjoy his breakdowns and thinks he makes some really great points on things.

From his website:
Coach Codutti is currently serving as the Offensive Coordinator, Assistant Head Coach, and Strength Coordinator at Tomball High School, in Tomball TX.

In the offseason Coach Codutti works with Texas based Glazier clinics and travels around the country sharing his knowledge and wisdom of the game and the culture of high school coaching.

Prior to taking the position at Tomball he served as Offensive Coordinator and Strength and Recruiting Coordinator at West Brook High in Beaumont. Coach Codutti comes to Texas after serving as Head Football Coach and Assistant Athletic Director at Marshfield High in Missouri where he also spent time as the Offensive Line Coach/Defensive Coordinator at Glendale High in Springfield.

Reactions: paddoce
Our passing game is 5 Star along with our defense, but I believe we have to get the running game going to beat OSU, UM, and MSU.

Did anyone notice how fast that kid Jackson from Villanova hit the hole and gained about 12 yards? Our RB's do not run like that for some reason. The two RB's from Auburn did the same all game, they hit the holes big time, and the one kid Hunter is only a freshman, 3 star.
Our RB's are plenty quick. They just haven't all learned the new scheme yet. Did you watch the video?

Reactions: BBrown
Not sure what game, but think I saw the TE serve as lead blocker on a few plays. It was effective. Hopefully, they will develop that element down the line.
The "for the blogy" guy even referred to a TE as a FB in one of his videos.

That’s what I posted. Our plays are slow to develop because they are read plays. It is a scheme/design issue....in my very humble opinion. We need to mix in some quick dives and hit the holes immediately.

ADVERTISEMENT