4. Calvin College
  5. U.S. Air Force Academy
  6. Gordon College
  7. Thomas Aquinas College
  8. Grove City College
  9. City University of New York – Baruch College
  10. City University of New York – Hunter College
Link: https://www.princetonreview.com/college-rankings?rankings=party-schools

I'm surprised to find West Virginia on this list of party schools. After all, why rank a professional with amateurs?

BTW, my daughter almost went to Lehigh. When my wife learned of their party reputation that did not happen. I think the two hung over students hosting the tour during our visit had something to do with that. She loves UCLA, but dad misses her terribly. Thanks Lehigh.

Props to Delaware coming out on top in a very competitive poll.

Last edited:
Whatever happened to Dear Old State? I guess we should blame the bot and barren for this too.

:eek:

Reactions: Bob78
Surprised Liberty isn't on the sober list. A buddy of mine's sister got expelled from school for getting caught drinking a beer. Of course this was many years ago.

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
I don’t put much stock in that report. I can find you a party on any campus and also find you a bible study meeting on the same campus. Depends on what your son or daughter is looking for. Me, I always looked and found a party. Plenty of time for bible study after graduation.

Time out, a Baptist school makes a list of top 20 party schools? Things sure have changed.

I can vouch for grove city as a former young lass I knew transferred after 1 year due to the lack of party atmosphere

Reactions: TheGLOV
Looks like Penn State and UF have lost their mojo. I went to UD about 25 years ago on a football weekend and it was not even close to PSU with regard to the party scene at that time. I guess times have changed.

PC (Providence College) made this list?? That's a joke. I moved near that campus after graduating from PSU a handful of years ago. The bars in my area where "PC bars". Absolutely NOTHING compared to State College.

The school definitely cracked down after we got the #1 party ranking in 2009, combined with the recent frat issues and well there you have it.

2009? We were number 1 for years during 70s and 80s and beyond. When I got to PSU in 76, Playboy was doing an annual list. They started at # 2, because Penn State was so far ahead of everyone else they didn't think it was fair to lump us in with the rest.

2009? We were number 1 for years during 70s and 80s and beyond. When I got to PSU in 76, Playboy was doing an annual list. They started at # 2, because Penn State was so far ahead of everyone else they didn't think it was fair to lump us in with the rest.
Snopes

Snopes? I was there. Saw it in Playboy. Known fact by students at that time.
I don't care. I had heard the same story elsewhere. Regardless, you and Snopes have different definitions of "facts". Take it up with them.

I don't care. I had heard the same story elsewhere. Regardless, you and Snopes have different definitions of "facts". Take it up with them.

If you don't care, why bring it up then? I just looked some stuff up and nothing goes back that far.
Just curious, where were you 40 years ago when I was at PSU?

If you don't care, why bring it up then? I just looked some stuff up and nothing goes back that far.
Just curious, where were you 40 years ago when I was at PSU?
Penn State. I heard the same legend. Snopes says that Playboy didn't start their ranking until '87. I thought that I'd clear it up but you want to double down so go for it.

Reactions: wbcincy

Other schools have made the same/similar claim.

https://madison.com/wsj/news/local/...cle_6db1290c-4f26-11df-bc1a-001cc4c03286.html

"I wrote a column recalling a well-known bit of Madison lore - that sometime in the 1960s, Playboy had released a ranking of party colleges. UW-Madison didn't make the list. Instead, a note with an asterisk explained that UW-Madison wasn't included because the magazine chose not to rank "professionals with amateurs.""

http://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=24562.0;wap

"They actaully weren't ranked # 1, but with the disclaimor that Arkansas was not ranked because they don't rank professionals with amateurs. I remember reading it."

https://www.redandblack.com/news/pa...cle_004e6631-9365-518f-aca7-23a250baf95f.html

“We no longer rank UGA as it is unfair to put professionals on a list of amateurs,” the story stated.

Last edited:
I'm surprised to find West Virginia on this list of party schools. After all, why rank a professional with amateurs?

BTW, my daughter almost went to Lehigh. When my wife learned of their party reputation that did not happen. I think the two hung over students hosting the tour during our visit had something to do with that. She loves UCLA, but dad misses her terribly. Thanks Lehigh.

Props to Delaware coming out on top in a very competitive poll.
Lehigh was always,known as a party school.my son and middle daughter went there years ago. My son is a Pediatric Orthopedist and my daughter is a high profile tria lawyer. Guess it didn’t hurt them any

I live in Newark and Uber around here part time ... they party ... but there's zero chance they should be anywhere near #1. That being said they like to THINK they're a party school ... which is probably why they are ranked where they are.

Funny btw whenever they ask and find out im from PSU ... they're usually say they have friends up in State College and nvm thats the real party school lol. Apparently we still have the reputation even though we're not "ranked."

P.S. There are a total of I think 6 bars in "downtown" Newark. But yea huge party place :rolleyes:

Favorite UD party story. About 6-7 yrs ago a video from St. Pattys Day when viral of two students having sex in a parking lot outside a bar in the middle of the day. People in Newark when crazy and heavily criticized the students/univ. In the end, it turned out that both students were from PSU and visiting for the w/e.

The school definitely cracked down after we got the #1 party ranking in 2009, combined with the recent frat issues and well there you have it.

The crackdown actually started summer of 76, when a kid chugged a bottle of Southern Comfort and went into an alcohol induced coma. That led to major changes of how partying in the dorms was handled. No more kegs out in open, for example. It's been downhill ever since.

Reactions: PSUfiji
The crackdown actually started summer of 76, when a kid chugged a bottle of Southern Comfort and went into an alcohol induced coma. That led to major changes of how partying in the dorms was handled. No more kegs out in open, for example. It's been downhill ever since.

Hard to say its been downhill ever since 76 if the #1 ranking was achieved in 09. Ironic that they'd ban kegs in response to chugging a bottle of soco. If student had been chugging beer they probably would have just passed out and pissed themself. They tried to ban the logo fromm shot glasses after 09 as if that would change anything. https://www.collegian.psu.edu/archives/article_6aa31ea7-f2fd-52d1-a72f-6285a318487f.html

Lehigh was always,known as a party school.my son and middle daughter went there years ago. My son is a Pediatric Orthopedist and my daughter is a high profile tria lawyer. Guess it didn’t hurt them any
I dunno. Maybe your daughter would have done something useful if she wasn't such a party girl in college.

Hard to say its been downhill ever since 76 if the #1 ranking was achieved in 09. Ironic that they'd ban kegs in response to chugging a bottle of soco. If student had been chugging beer they probably would have just passed out and pissed themself. They tried to ban the logo fromm shot glasses after 09 as if that would change anything. https://www.collegian.psu.edu/archives/article_6aa31ea7-f2fd-52d1-a72f-6285a318487f.html

Downhill in respect to what is allowed. For example, the ban on kegs at tailgates
The kid drank Soco and that caused policy changes at PSU just when I got there. It wasn't what he drank, it was the amount and what followed.

ADVERTISEMENT