ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball PREVIEW/LIVE THREAD: Penn State Basketball versus No. 20 Illinois

I guess not a lot of interest in this game. We hung tough but once again cannot pull out a close win. Need to start getting more wins out of these close games next season.

Our offense is kinda non existent. Hard to win putting up 55 points. Glad the D is good.

Maryland will now get the 10 seed and we have to play on Wed. as the 11 seed. Probably the Huskers who are now suddenly hot.

It was my fault...followed score on gamecast while watching a show with my bride. Turned it on with about 4 minutes left...team shot 1-11 or so and did not go to the line. Only make a late 3 by Johnson. We should've watched another episode of Yellowstone...I jinxed us.

Team had plenty of good shots and all missed...Coach doesn't shoot the ball. The game plan was strong, grittiness apparent, but a loss is just that...and we've seen many just like it this year.

Would've been nice to earn the W in a tough environment. Hopefully they learn from the experience

Reactions: bison13
It was my fault...followed score on gamecast while watching a show with my bride. Turned it on with about 4 minutes left...team shot 1-11 or so and did not go to the line. Only make a late 3 by Johnson. We should've watched another episode of Yellowstone...I jinxed us.

Team had plenty of good shots and all missed...Coach doesn't shoot the ball. The game plan was strong, grittiness apparent, but a loss is just that...and we've seen many just like it this year.

Would've been nice to earn the W in a tough environment. Hopefully they learn from the experience
I did not see much of the game. Followed it off and on via gamecast then on and off in the last 10 minutes. Had the feeling we were not going to pull it out even when it was 49 all with about 6 and a half minutes left. We missed a wide open corner 3 to tie it with about 3 minutes left and that pretty much sealed it. Just cannot generate offense when we need it.

It would be nice to at least win a game in the BTT. Not sure we can though. Our fade here at the end let MD pass us. I guess in the grand scheme of things that does not matter much.

Offense was great for the first 34 minutes, then went ice cold over the last 6 minutes…lots of good looks that didn’t fall.

It would be nice to at least win a game in the BTT. Not sure we can though. Our fade here at the end let MD pass us. I guess in the grand scheme of things that does not matter much.
Unless we upset Rutgers on Sunday to avoid the first round, we’ll be about a 4.5 point favorite against Nebraska on Wednesday.

Unless we upset Rutgers on Sunday to avoid the first round, we’ll be about a 4.5 point favorite against Nebraska on Wednesday.
Maybe the revenge factor motivates us against Nebby. Not sure I would favor us by that many. If they maintain their torrid shooting we are doomed.

Or maybe we finally pull out a close win on the road against Rutgers on Sun. Always can hope!

Maybe the revenge factor motivates us against Nebby. Not sure I would favor us by that many. If they maintain their torrid shooting we are doomed.

Or maybe we finally pull out a close win on the road against Rutgers on Sun. Always can hope!
The perpetual hope can dim as a PSU hoops fan since the Frank Brikowski days. However, I do sense a level of professionalism and mettle with Coach Shrew that we haven't had since Parkhill in my opinion. For this reason I will choose to believe, eventhough most of my 45 years of rooting for the Lions tells me otherwise.

The perpetual hope can dim as a PSU hoops fan since the Frank Brikowski days. However, I do sense a level of professionalism and mettle with Coach Shrew that we haven't had since Parkhill in my opinion. For this reason I will choose to believe, eventhough most of my 45 years of rooting for the Lions tells me otherwise.
I suspect that five years from now, you'll be thinking the same thing about the next head coach of PSU basketball.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
I suspect that five years from now, you'll be thinking the same thing about the next head coach of PSU basketball.
Jerry Dunn got a lucky run to Sweet 16 or would've been gone earlier. He really hurt us long term when we had some steam.

Ed was an inside guy...Commonwealth Campus hoopster with some success at ETSU...but no Big 10 coach was intimidated by him and he couldn't recruit city kids. He's obviously a solid x and o guy and Navy sells itself. I'm glad for him that it worked out well. Annapolis is a great area to live and I'm sure the kids he coaches are super. But Patriot League is not Big 10.

Pat was a classic Delco hustler and schmoozer...full of both grit and shit. He got hustle from the team and came close to turning the corner but then blew a tire. I worked with a woman who is married to a close relative of his. They weren't on speaking terms. He may indeed be a hot head or "passionate"...depends on your perspective. It's ironic that his best year was his last and that a scrawny kid who he gave a D1 chance to got him fired and is now starting for a Top 4 seed. I rooted like hell for him but have now moved on...

Coach Shrew seems to be devoid of all of those weaknesses to this point. He can coach, it's just that the players can't close. All of those missed 3s last night weren't his doing. Make two of em and we win the game but we didn't. There are few direct finger pointing situations where he screwed the pooch this year- UMass preparation is one. He's got our arguably best recruiting class coming in...so we'll see where we "climb" to.

I enjoyed following the team this year and look forward to seeing where we go...but any betting man would bet the under because PSU hoops is a perennial underachiever. Fingers crossed that he leaves in 5 years for a better job b/c we were so amazing🤞

Jerry Dunn got a lucky run to Sweet 16 or would've been gone earlier. He really hurt us long term when we had some steam.

Ed was an inside guy...Commonwealth Campus hoopster with some success at ETSU...but no Big 10 coach was intimidated by him and he couldn't recruit city kids. He's obviously a solid x and o guy and Navy sells itself. I'm glad for him that it worked out well. Annapolis is a great area to live and I'm sure the kids he coaches are super. But Patriot League is not Big 10.

Pat was a classic Delco hustler and schmoozer...full of both grit and shit. He got hustle from the team and came close to turning the corner but then blew a tire. I worked with a woman who is married to a close relative of his. They weren't on speaking terms. He may indeed be a hot head or "passionate"...depends on your perspective. It's ironic that his best year was his last and that a scrawny kid who he gave a D1 chance to got him fired and is now starting for a Top 4 seed. I rooted like hell for him but have now moved on...

Coach Shrew seems to be devoid of all of those weaknesses to this point. He can coach, it's just that the players can't close. All of those missed 3s last night weren't his doing. Make two of em and we win the game but we didn't. There are few direct finger pointing situations where he screwed the pooch this year- UMass preparation is one. He's got our arguably best recruiting class coming in...so we'll see where we "climb" to.

I enjoyed following the team this year and look forward to seeing where we go...but any betting man would bet the under because PSU hoops is a perennial underachiever. Fingers crossed that he leaves in 5 years for a better job b/c we were so amazing🤞
"all those missed threes - " were agony to watch. Game was lying there for the taking.
Why do I watch PSU BB??

Yes I am very interested in seeing what Shrews can do. He has talent coming in but can he dig us out of this losing culture? We have never been able to close and always seem to lose close games. The outcome last night did not surprise me at all. We find ways to lose winnable games.

What a joke.
This is why so many of us have other college basketball teams that we root for. PSU and Villanova were the only schools I applied to so the Cats became my hoops squad. Had uncles who went there, had a close friend who was the first soccer scholarship there, and what's not to love about the Palestra?

Like many Philadephia folks I also rooted for The Big 5 against anyone. UPenn's run to Final 4 and St. Joe's upset of De Paul felt great (I was in high school then).

When my sister chose Wake that gave me an ACC team beyond UVA which happened to be near where I was born. The University of Delaware is 10 miles from our town and was a 50 cent ticket so I spent quite a few days there too for my Mid Major team experience.

I remember hoping that Dick Harter would change things @State and was a student when we had a pretty good A 10 run under Parkhill. A guy I knew started organizing the students to cheer in a more coordinated manner, and Parkhill used to come over before the games and shake his hand/ get the small group fired up.

I'd root for my Alma mater over anyone, but in order for March Madness to have meaning many of us we've had to adopt other allegiances. If Shrew can get us in the mix every 2 years for NIT and into NCAA every 5 I'll be happy.

My dad passed at 79....which means that I'd get 4 Dances....still weak but I'd take it.

I was born in 1965 so that paints a pretty ugly picture for sure. If we choose to recognize our 1994 and other undefeated football teams- which most do- then 2020 should be there too. Roughly once a decade of my existence...
They were on a horrible losing streak and were on the bubble. The 2020 team does not get the benefit of the doubt. 5 teams in 6 decades.

Pathetic

This is why so many of us have other college basketball teams that we root for. PSU and Villanova were the only schools I applied to so the Cats became my hoops squad. Had uncles who went there, had a close friend who was the first soccer scholarship there, and what's not to love about the Palestra?

Like many Philadephia folks I also rooted for The Big 5 against anyone. UPenn's run to Final 4 and St. Joe's upset of De Paul felt great (I was in high school then).

When my sister chose Wake that gave me an ACC team beyond UVA which happened to be near where I was born. The University of Delaware is 10 miles from our town and was a 50 cent ticket so I spent quite a few days there too for my Mid Major team experience.

I remember hoping that Dick Harter would change things @State and was a student when we had a pretty good A 10 run under Parkhill. A guy I knew started organizing the students to cheer in a more coordinated manner, and Parkhill used to come over before the games and shake his hand/ get the small group fired up.

I'd root for my Alma mater over anyone, but in order for March Madness to have meaning many of us we've had to adopt other allegiances. If Shrew can get us in the mix every 2 years for NIT and into NCAA every 5 I'll be happy.

My dad passed at 79....which means that I'd get 4 Dances....still weak but I'd take it.
Dick Harter DID change things. He didn't get along well with Tarman, and lost a power play in 82.

They were on a horrible losing streak and were on the bubble. The 2020 team does not get the benefit of the doubt.
They weren't anywhere near the bubble...they were on track to be about a 6 seed. But facts have never been something you've cared too much about, regardless of whether you were posting as MilesKaufman, 21Guns, Larryrise, or this new handle.

By the way, we're still waiting for Lonnie White's breakout game on the gridiron.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT