ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty Good 'Lengthy' Kickoff Article for NCAA Wrestling

GogglesPaizano

Feb 6, 2018
Appologies if posted elsewhere, but a good read with a fair amount of accurate content. A bit unfair to Beard who in my mind despite Dean's presence 'could' still win the slot.

Last edited:
Questch for any of you who regularly consume basch or matscout or other news/rumors shows: has anyone heard or read or watched anybody suggest Michael Beard might have some kind of surgery THIS year?

Eligibility summaries reminder:

Beard:
2018: HSSR
2019: Greyshirt NLWC, Opens only, 12-0
2020: NCAA Redshirting (Re-available via: NCAA Free Year Covid) / Opens only, 13-3
2021: TRFR, 10-6, 7th
Remaining: 4yrs to compete 3 seasons

Max Dean
2016: HSSR
2017: Greyshirt / FLWC, 24-6
2018: TRFR, 32-6, 8th
2019: TRSO, 25-6, 2nd
2020: FLWC / NCAA Free Year Covid / Opens only, 10-0
2021: NCAA Redshirt(? is this available to him again?) / Ivies prohibited competition, 0-0
Remaining: 3yrs (?) to compete 2 seasons

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Questch for any of you who regularly consume basch or matscout or other news/rumors shows: has anyone heard or read or watched anybody suggest Michael Beard might have some kind of surgery THIS year?

Eligibility summaries reminder:

Beard:
2018: HSSR
2019: Greyshirt NLWC, Opens only, 12-0
2020: NCAA Redshirting (Re-available via: NCAA Free Year Covid) / Opens only, 13-3
2021: TRFR, 10-6, 7th
Remaining: 4yrs to compete 3 seasons

Max Dean
2016: HSSR
2017: Greyshirt / FLWC, 24-6
2018: TRFR, 32-6, 8th
2019: TRSO, 25-6, 2nd
2020: FLWC / NCAA Free Year Covid / Opens only, 10-0
2021: NCAA Redshirt(? is this available to him again?) / Ivies prohibited competition, 0-0
Remaining: 3yrs (?) to compete 2 seasons

2020 was an ORS for Dean; 2021 was the Ivy cancellation year. He probably turns 24 this academic year. His ORS doesn't count towards a redshirt year (I guess). No idea about the Ivy cancellation year, but I also guess that doesn't count, either.

Reactions: jtothemfp
2020 was an ORS for Dean; 2021 was the Ivy cancellation year. He probably turns 24 this academic year. His ORS doesn't count towards a redshirt year (I guess). No idea about the Ivy cancellation year, but I also guess that doesn't count, either.
I think all that sounds right, thanks!

The way I'm currently reading it, is that both wrestlers *could still use an NCAA Redshirt if they choose; anybody disagree?

I think all that sounds right, thanks!

The way I'm currently reading it, is that both wrestlers *could still use an NCAA Redshirt if they choose; anybody disagree?
According to the NCAA rules:

"You are not eligible if five calendar years have passed from the date you first registered as a full-time student at a collegiate institution and attended your first day of classes for that term, except for time spent in the armed services, on official religious missions or with recognized international aid services of the U.S. government and extensions that have been approved in accordance with NCAA legislation."

Dean has used up four of those calendar years as of now. I don't think that the free COVID year applies, as Dean was not enrolled that year. So, it certainly isn't clear to me if he qualifies for the "four in six" rule that seems to be the current rule.

Reactions: jtothemfp
According to the NCAA rules:

"You are not eligible if five calendar years have passed from the date you first registered as a full-time student at a collegiate institution and attended your first day of classes for that term, except for time spent in the armed services, on official religious missions or with recognized international aid services of the U.S. government and extensions that have been approved in accordance with NCAA legislation."

Dean has used up four of those calendar years as of now. I don't think that the free COVID year applies, as Dean was not enrolled that year. So, it certainly isn't clear to me if he qualifies for the "four in six" rule that seems to be the current rule.

Excellent internetting, thank you!

ADVERTISEMENT