ADVERTISEMENT

Prediction thread. Sparty vs Lions. Last regular season game!

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
Wow, that went fast! Time to predict the game which is tomorrow.

Methinks we match up well. We have a great run d that should stop their run game. And their passing is suspect so I expect a couple picks....if we can hold onto the ball! On the other side, their pass protection is pretty weak so we should put up some points. And our run game has been improving as of late as Lee is now the lead dog and doing well.

Besides the X’s and O’s and the jimmys and joes is the emotional qualities of the game, which are often overloooked. And in college football the psyche of the team is very important. So Sparty is at home...plus for them. It’s their Senior Day...another plus for them. But they got gobsmacked last week in a huge game. They went in riding high after beating Mich, rated in Top Ten, and confident they were Big Time. Now they are in a state of shocked, embarrassed, and their confidence shook. Huge minus for them.

We, however, are in good shape mentally. We now have faith in a #2 QB if necessary. And watching the game last week it seemed like the joy in playing was back. The team was psyched and playin* with energy and abandon. Overcoming all the sickness and with CV struttin his stuff they looked like they enjoyed playing for the first time in weeks. You can say it was only Rutgers but the energuy on the sidelines was evident. Maybe it was just winning and scoring, maybe CV is a great leader for which the team has high respect.

Which leads to the big questions of the game. I have no doubt Clifford will start. He is a tough kid and will play through any pain he has. He may come in and light it up. But if he struggles early will Franklin take him out even if not injured? Will he wait too long and give Sparty a spark? Will Tengwell and a couple other guys play on the line? Or will Franklin be loyal to long time players?

So we need to get up on them early so they don’t regain confidence and still have that Buckeye stain on their hearts and souls. If we are up by two TDs at halftime it could become a route. If it is close at halftime, they will be in it and it will be a struggle to the end.

Predicting we score early, they fold late third quarter. Penn State wins 31-17. The joy is back!

Methinks we match up well. We have a great run d that should stop their run game. And their passing is suspect so I expect a couple picks....if we can hold onto the ball! On the other side, their pass protection is pretty weak so we should put up some points. And our run game has been improving as of late as Lee is now the lead dog and doing well.

Besides the X’s and O’s and the jimmys and joes is the emotional qualities of the game, which are often overloooked. And in college football the psyche of the team is very important. So Sparty is at home...plus for them. It’s their Senior Day...another plus for them. But they got gobsmacked last week in a huge game. They went in riding high after beating Mich, rated in Top Ten, and confident they were Big Time. Now they are in a state of shocked, embarrassed, and their confidence shook. Huge minus for them.

We, however, are in good shape mentally. We now have faith in a #2 QB if necessary. And watching the game last week it seemed like the joy in playing was back. The team was psyched and playin* with energy and abandon. Overcoming all the sickness and with CV struttin his stuff they looked like they enjoyed playing for the first time in weeks. You can say it was only Rutgers but the energuy on the sidelines was evident. Maybe it was just winning and scoring, maybe CV is a great leader for which the team has high respect.

Which leads to the big questions of the game. I have no doubt Clifford will start. He is a tough kid and will play through any pain he has. He may come in and light it up. But if he struggles early will Franklin take him out even if not injured? Will he wait too long and give Sparty a spark? Will Tengwell and a couple other guys play on the line? Or will Franklin be loyal to long time players?

So we need to get up on them early so they don’t regain confidence and still have that Buckeye stain on their hearts and souls. If we are up by two TDs at halftime it could become a route. If it is close at halftime, they will be in it and it will be a struggle to the end.

Predicting we score early, they fold late third quarter. Penn State wins 31-17. The joy is back!

Word is that Clifford will start.

The Spartans are dealing with some key injuries on offense.

This is a key game for us. Put the train back on track. Get a halfway decent bowl invitation.

I think our D outmatches their O and controls the game. Big question mark in my mind is Clifford. Since the injury his play has been uneven to put it mildly.

Still, I pretty much agree with your analysis and prediction. I see Penn State winning by 10-14 points.

Word is that Clifford will start.

The Spartans are dealing with some key injuries on offense.

This is a key game for us. Put the train back on track. Get a halfway decent bowl invitation.

I think our D outmatches their O and controls the game. Big question mark in my mind is Clifford. Since the injury his play has been uneven to put it mildly.

Still, I pretty much agree with your analysis and prediction. I see Penn State winning by 10-14 points.
I see PSU running them out of the stadium. PSU front 7 is as good as any in the country

• Haha
Reactions: psu00

I agree but the weather is rough. I see Wisconsin game repeated. We still can’t muster a running game but the D is tough.
PSU 17 Sparty 10

I agree but the weather is rough. I see Wisconsin game repeated. We still can’t muster a running game but the D is tough.
PSU 17 Sparty 10

Good point on the weather. Highs in the low 30's. 1-3 inches of snow during the afternoon. Yikes. Definitely a wild card.

Reactions: Obliviax
Will Walker play? Big question. He was the Heisman front runner until going out with injury against Ohio State. He is the key.

Will Walker play? Big question. He was the Heisman front runner until going out with injury against Ohio State. He is the key.

He was far from 100% against Ohio State. I doubt he'll be at 100% against us...even if he does play.

Reactions: BBrown
He was far from 100% against Ohio State. I doubt he'll be at 100% against us...even if he does play.
If Walker is not 100% then we most likely win by a TD or possibly 10-14. Their QB Thorne is a game manager not a guy who puts the team on his shoulders. With at least one but possibly two of their top WRs out they won't be able to mount much offense.

On offense we should be able to pass the ball and spread it around. They don't have a good pass rush and they also won't have their top corner on an already porous pass D. They do have a good run defense so per usual I do expect an anemic rush game from us.

Unless we turn the ball over or give them big plays we should be in control.

Weather being nasty will favor them as it will hinder our pass game some what.

Look for 24-14, 24-17, 17-10 type game to go our way.

Reactions: BBrown and Jerry
Rumors are Sparty has a big flu outbreak and may miss players

The betting line has moved by 2 points in favor of Penn State over the last 12 hours...so the books appear to be crediting those reports of a flu outbreak.

I mean, even without the flu, from the standpoint of injuries, Michigan State had some trouble on its hands.

Good point on the weather. Highs in the low 30's. 1-3 inches of snow during the afternoon. Yikes. Definitely a wild

PSU 17 Sparty 10
Bad weather in East lansing for MSU/PSU. What else is new? Seems to be a constant when the game is played there. HOPEFULLY the PSU staff has made contingency plans for weather unlike last time in East Lansing. Better have right equipment, heated seats, warm weather clothing (extra unis), good grip cleats and availability of food if there is a long delay. I recall the incredibly long lightning delay 2 years ago that PSU was not prepared for.

Reactions: Jerry
Bad weather in East lansing for MSU/PSU. What else is new? Seems to be a constant when the game is played there. HOPEFULLY the PSU staff has made contingency plans for weather unlike last time in East Lansing. Better have right equipment, heated seats, warm weather clothing (extra unis), good grip cleats and availability of food if there is a long delay. I recall the incredibly long lightning delay 2 years ago that PSU was not prepared for.
That delay was the only thing that kept us in the game. Disrupted all the momentum going into the break.

• Haha
Reactions: Lion8286
ADVERTISEMENT