ADVERTISEMENT

Powerade seeds released

Did Cael and psu recruit O’toole hard? I know his connections to Mizzou but he seems like the exact kind of kid you’re used to seeing at psu. Plus he’s in a weight range that psu needs. Just curious.
Don't recall but gut feel is PSU never had a chance anyway. O'Toole went to the same HS as the Askrens and trained with them, and committed to Missouri in the summer before his JR year.

Iowa is redshirting Kennedy and Ayala. Kennedy might be the best wrestler on Redshirt anywhere and Ayala was as high a recruit as there was. That's two very high end replacements i know about and I'm not even that familiar with their bench.
In the end, it's a downgrade from Marinelli and Spencer Lee - significantly so, even with Marinelli's disappointing NCAA finishes.

I beg to differ. The good guys have 2 on redshirt that are the best anywhere.
I have no doubt that the good guys will end up on the right ride of it, but Kennedy did beat Facundo at WNO in 2019 (noting that Kennedy was a year senior to Facundo).

Kennedy took Marinelli to the brink a few weeks ago, losing 3-2 on a TD at the edge with 30 secs to wrestle in the 3rd.

I think we’re kidding ourselves to think he’s not going to be special with 4 years left to wrestle when Marinelli graduates.

As for Ayala… he beat Figueroa at WNO this past year and later captured his second junior national freestyle championship.

Again - I was responding to a comment that Iowa didn’t have high level recruits in waiting. Clearly they do.

Don't recall but gut feel is PSU never had a chance anyway. O'Toole went to the same HS as the Askrens and trained with them, and committed to Missouri in the summer before his JR year.
Ok thanks. Yeah I knew he was an Askren boy. I didn’t know he committed before his junior year. Not sure if he had really blown up as a recruit by then. Thanks for the answer. He wrestles like some of the psu greats tho. Fun to watch.

In the end, it's a downgrade from Marinelli and Spencer Lee - significantly so, even with Marinelli's disappointing NCAA finishes.
You might want to watch the Kennedy vs Marinelli match from a few weeks ago.

I have no doubt that the good guys will end up on the right ride of it, but Kennedy did beat Facundo at WNO in 2019 (noting that Kennedy was a year senior to Facundo).

Kennedy took Marinelli to the brink a few weeks ago, losing 3-2 on a TD at the edge with 30 secs to wrestle in the 3rd.

I think we’re kidding ourselves to think he’s not going to be special with 4 years left to wrestle when Marinelli graduates.

As for Ayala… he beat Figueroa at WNO this past year and later captured his second junior national freestyle championship.

Again - I was responding to a comment that Iowa didn’t have high level recruits in waiting. Clearly they do.
Isn’t Kennedy a third year RS freshman? For some reason I thought he’d only have three years to wrestle but the free year messes me up from time to time lol. Tournament wise I’m not sure there is any drop off with Kennedy. Ayala on the other hand will be a pretty significant drop off. Not saying he isn’t great but he’s following a guy that’s impossible to follow lol.

Reactions: mcpat
Isn’t Kennedy a third year RS freshman? For some reason I thought he’d only have three years to wrestle but the free year messes me up from time to time lol. Tournament wise I’m not sure there is any drop off with Kennedy. Ayala on the other hand will be a pretty significant drop off. Not saying he isn’t great but he’s following a guy that’s impossible to follow lol.
Yes - he is. :)

edit: sorry; 2nd year. He wrestled a few matches last year in the year that time forgot and is redshirting this year.

Last edited:
For Iowa, I think it’s less about the studs they have in the wings and more about the ones they don’t. Gonna lose points at 133, 141, 174 next year and later 197 and 285, unless I’m forgetting about some recruits.

For Iowa, I think it’s less about the studs they have in the wings and more about the ones they don’t. Gonna lose points at 133, 141, 174 next year and later 197 and 285, unless I’m forgetting about some recruits.
Did you intentionally leave 157 off?

Kinda. Young isn’t really in the same tier as ADS, Eirerman, and Kemm, but Indunno who they have that can live up to his points either. I’m sure they will be watching the portal though.
No way in hell Kennedy goes down for a year,right?

Are you in NEPA? I live in Forty Fort and I know of at least one other regular poster that lives in Harveys Lake. I believe there is someone else that posts kind of regular that I think might be a lawyer in WB.
Was out your way not that long ago. Was on way back from my brothers house in Honesdale and did some sight seeing through there.

Those two are very good then will eventually have Jesuroga coming in as well. Ayala and Jesuroga will be your typical tough Iowa 125/133 combo. Wyatt Henson I’m thinking will be their 141. Hes tough as well but I’m thinking he’s gonna be more of a Max Murin type but with a couple low AA finishes. Cody Siebrecht eventually at 149? I don’t know but he’s looked good as a young guy. I don’t see a high AA type but he’s solid. 157 not sure who they have or are bringing in. 165 is of course Kennedy. 174 and 184 they have nothing that special in the pipeline in my opinion but JS seems to be really high on Assad. I’m not. At 197 and eventually replacing Warner, i don’t see anyone that scares me although Iowa fans seem to be more enamored with Kolby Franklin than I am. They just recruited their next Heavy, name escapes me but to me he doesn’t seem to be better than a lot of heavy’s coming out next few years and I certainly don’t think he will give them what Cass has given them. I did this all just off top of my head and can’t remember who all they have in that big class they just racked up but none jumped out at me other than Jesuroga. I’d have to dig in more to see if I’m missing anything with them.

Reactions: nerfstate
Those two are very good then will eventually have Jesuroga coming in as well. Ayala and Jesuroga will be your typical tough Iowa 125/133 combo. Wyatt Henson I’m thinking will be their 141. Hes tough as well but I’m thinking he’s gonna be more of a Max Murin type but with a couple low AA finishes. Cody Siebrecht eventually at 149? I don’t know but he’s looked good as a young guy. I don’t see a high AA type but he’s solid. 157 not sure who they have or are bringing in. 165 is of course Kennedy. 174 and 184 they have nothing that special in the pipeline in my opinion but JS seems to be really high on Assad. I’m not. At 197 and eventually replacing Warner, i don’t see anyone that scares me although Iowa fans seem to be more enamored with Kolby Franklin than I am. They just recruited their next Heavy, name escapes me but to me he doesn’t seem to be better than a lot of heavy’s coming out next few years and I certainly don’t think he will give them what Cass has given them. I did this all just off top of my head and can’t remember who all they have in that big class they just racked up but none jumped out at me other than Jesuroga. I’d have to dig in more to see if I’m missing anything with them.
I’ll also say this, Iowa DID NOT parlay the “Spencer Lee effect” into great things like their fans promised us for the past 5 years. Those who visit HR knows how they insisted having Spencer on their roster will help them kill everyone else on the recruiting trail. They were certain that Spencer Lee blew the PA pipeline wide freaking open but it’s now obvious they overestimated that a bit considering Henson is pretty much the only PA guy to go out there in recent years. Well, unless you add in Franklin who I don’t think will ever come close to matching what Warner has done there. Time will tell though. Maybe I’m way wrong…

I personally feel Kennedy has a better career than the Bull. And judging by their match earlier this season, they are pretty much even right now.
I still wouldnt bet against Bull in a dual, his problem was the 3 day grind. Who knows if Kennedy can hold up either? One on one, one match, pretty damn close,but 3 days in March are all anyone remembers.

I still wouldnt bet against Bull in a dual, his problem was the 3 day grind. Who knows if Kennedy can hold up either? One on one, one match, pretty damn close,but 3 days in March are all anyone remembers.
Oh I’m not even counting Alex out in this years tournament. This could be his year he puts it together…never know.

ADVERTISEMENT