ADVERTISEMENT

Powerade seeds released

Feldman isn't human, 2 TDs in 18 seconds and a pin in less than a minute in his semi.
True, should also note that Banco was by far the worst of the 4 semifinalists. Last year he DNQ for states, got pinned 7x, 5x in the first period including once in 0:09 (!) and another in 0:25. This match was always going to be a TF or pin.

md or Pin-

Feldman is on a different planet. So is
Meyer Shapiro
There's a lot of guys who have put their name in the conversation for OW. Both Bouzakis, Shapiro, Shaw, Wask, obviously Feldman. Watters has pinned everyone other than Solomon from Franklin Regional, but he wrestles Shapiro. If he beats Shapiro he locks it up IMO. Mullen beating Feldman would make a strong case for it as well. I'm excited to see some of these consi semis, and of course every final will be fun to watch.

There's a lot of guys who have put their name in the conversation for OW. Both Bouzakis, Shapiro, Shaw, Wask, obviously Feldman. Watters has pinned everyone other than Solomon from Franklin Regional, but he wrestles Shapiro. If he beats Shapiro he locks it up IMO. Mullen beating Feldman would make a strong case for it as well. I'm excited to see some of these consi semis, and of course every final will be fun to watch.
Pitzer has four first period pins.

Pitzer has four first period pins.
If Pitzer beats Stewart he's definitely one of the front runners. I still think if Watters beats Shapiro its his. He was unseeded.

Arnold loses to Welsh in consi semis 4-3. Couldn't escape to go to ultimate ride out. That's 2 matches in a row he has failed to escape to either keep the match going or win. Granted, his semi final match he had the escape, but failed to keep wrestling allowing Wask to dive back in (reaction time). When he failed to escape against Welsh, he was on his feet for probably 11 seconds without a return attempt and only got one stall call. Arnold is no doubt a top notch talent, his bottom work obviously needs work, but what worries me is his lack to open up a match. He's lightning quick, and seems strong as an ox. I haven't seen a ton of his matches, so maybe there's just something off with him this weekend, but in my opinion, definitely needs a higher number of attacks.

Reactions: fronk71
If you could pick 3 kids from this tournament to wrestle for PSU who would they be?
Mine would be-
1)Meyer Shapiro
2) Nick Feldman
3)Joe Sealy or Bouzakis but I puke a little in my mouth having 2 tOSU commits on my list so I lean Sealy. I think I might be higher on him then most but damn is he good and only a sophomore.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
If Pitzer beats Stewart he's definitely one of the front runners. I still think if Watters beats Shapiro its his. He was unseeded.

Arnold loses to Welsh in consi semis 4-3. Couldn't escape to go to ultimate ride out. That's 2 matches in a row he has failed to escape to either keep the match going or win. Granted, his semi final match he had the escape, but failed to keep wrestling allowing Wask to dive back in (reaction time). When he failed to escape against Welsh, he was on his feet for probably 11 seconds without a return attempt and only got one stall call. Arnold is no doubt a top notch talent, his bottom work obviously needs work, but what worries me is his lack to open up a match. He's lightning quick, and seems strong as an ox. I haven't seen a ton of his matches, so maybe there's just something off with him this weekend, but in my opinion, definitely needs a higher number of attacks.
From the matches I’ve seen that is just how Arnold wrestles. His defense is so good but I wish he would open up a bit more. The double he hit on Welsh was absolutely beautiful. He just doesn’t pull the trigger as often as he should. Top notch talent though and would love him at PSU. Any idea where he leans for college?

If you could pick 3 kids from this tournament to wrestle for PSU who would they be?
Mine would be-
1)Meyer Shapiro
2) Nick Feldman
3)Joe Sealy or Bouzakis but I puke a little in my mouth having 2 tOSU commits on my list so I lean Sealy. I think I might be higher on him then most but damn is he good and only a sophomore.
Man that's a tough question. You have your upperclassmen like Shapiro Feldman, Bouzakis, Arnold and Arrington (still trying to find out why he defaulted out). Then you have the younger corp with Shaw, Bouzakis, Perry, Sealey.

Since you already picked those 3, I'll choose 3 different ones.
1. Arrington
2. Stout
3. Shaw or Perry

From the matches I’ve seen that is just how Arnold wrestles. His defense is so good but I wish he would open up a bit more. The double he hit on Welsh was absolutely beautiful. He just doesn’t pull the trigger as often as he should. Top notch talent though and would love him at PSU. Any idea where he leans for college?
I agree with you on his defense, pulling the trigger, and obviously having him here. No clue where he is a lean. It seems Tj Stewart is trying hard to team up with him at VT.

Reactions: zzs006
Man that's a tough question. You have your upperclassmen like Shapiro Feldman, Bouzakis, Arnold and Arrington (still trying to find out why he defaulted out). Then you have the younger corp with Shaw, Bouzakis, Perry, Sealey.

Since you already picked those 3, I'll choose 3 different ones.
1. Arrington
2. Stout
3. Shaw or Perry

I agree with you on his defense, pulling the trigger, and obviously having him here. No clue where he is a lean. It seems Tj Stewart is trying hard to team up with him at VT.
Good list. Arrington was number 4 for me. Was really looking forward to him and Sealy meeting up today. Wish Arrington didn’t have to default.
If Arnold ends up at VT I will be doubly sad because I really really wanted TJ Stewart here as well. VT is damn good and has some great kids coming in as well

Hopefully both Shapiro and Mullen will be wrestling for Cael in college. Feldman is a freak. We’ll see what happens.
Be highly unlikely anyone pulls him away from Mark Manning. Manning followed him to Budapest for Worlds and the two talk daily.

Be highly unlikely anyone pulls him away from Mark Manning. Manning followed him to Budapest for Worlds and the two talk daily.
Oh, please. Just stop. 3 Cadet World team members committed since Budapest, exactly zero to Manning.

Manning talked to Jordan Conaway too -- right up until Cael called.

For that matter, in Cael's entire tenure he has not lost one priority recruit to Nebraska.

This is like the annual panic "OMG (fill in the blank) was at Manning's summer freestyle camp!" Then the commitments start coming in, and Manning gets a couple but doesn't exactly clean up.

Last edited:
Oh, please. Just stop. 3 Cadet World team members committed since Budapest, exactly zero to Manning.

Manning talked to Jordan Conaway too -- right up until Cael called.
Shapiro isn’t just a team member he’s a world Champ 😉 Nobody wants him to not land him worse than me I assure you. Lol.

Cause he hasn’t coached a 5x and reigning world champ before or anything. Lol.
Neither of whom were at that level when recruited (plus for coaching), and neither of whom are still on campus (negative for recruiting).

Of course, who knows if he would've landed Burroughs if Cael were at PSU at the time. PSU recruited him, but Sanderland couldn't close the deal.

Reactions: Kidwicked
Neither of whom were at that level when recruited (plus for coaching), and neither of whom are still on campus (negative for recruiting).

Of course, who knows if he would've landed Burroughs if Cael were at PSU at the time. PSU recruited him, but Sanderland couldn't close the deal.
No doubt that JB got better after college, but it’s still a card Manning can, and does have to play.

I think in the recent past, We as PSU fans always thought Cael was untouchable at recruiting and literally got every single kid he wanted. He’s obviously very good at it and as the best coach in College wrestling he makes the most of all his recruits. However this year showed us that landing top 3 P4P guys isn’t a forgone conclusion.

No doubt that JB got better after college, but it’s still a card Manning can, and does have to play.

I think in the recent past, We as PSU fans always thought Cael was untouchable at recruiting and literally got every single kid he wanted. He’s obviously very good at it and as the best coach in College wrestling he makes the most of all his recruits. However this year showed us that landing top 3 P4P guys isn’t a forgone conclusion.
I don't think many people think Cael is untouchable at recruiting -- if anything, when someone commits elsewhere, the responses are generally split between sigh can't get them all vs. that's OK he'll get the next one. Occasionally some joker will say Cael is losing his touch.

Cael will definitely have to work to get Shapiro. That said, if I'm looking to land a Top 5 guy, many other coaches I'd worry about before Manning: Brands, Tan Tom, Smith, Bormet, Zeke, Koll, Grey, Reina. At least. Even Eggum.

Manning is great at landing guys a level or two below that, and compiling a very good if not top team.

Reactions: crockster
How was the younger bouzakis not seeded? He's clearly a top ten kid in his weight class.

To add some data -- below are the # of Top 5 recruits landed since 2015 (results may vary a little depending on choice of recruiting rankings):
8 - PSU, Ohio State
5 - Arizona State
4 - OKST
3 - Michigan, Minnesota
2 - Cornell, Iowa
1 - Iowa State, Lehigh, Missouri, Oklahoma, Penn, Stanford, Wisconsin

Top 10 in that period for Nebraska: Red. (Berger was also Top 10, but before 2015, so I can't easily find class rankings.)

Top 20 in that period for Nebraska: Breske, Labriola, Serrano, maybe Hardy?

So, yeah, I'm really not worried about Manning recruiting Shapiro or Mullen or anyone else Cael might consider a priority recruit. I'm sure he'll try, but there's no evidence to believe he'll succeed.

Reactions: backdrft76
Maybe because he's a freshman with zero varsity matches before the tourney started.
That's a good reason. Do the private schools not wrestle until late December or was he not getting matches at Sem yet?

That's a good reason. Do the private schools not wrestle until late December or was he not getting matches at Sem yet?
Their schedule so far:
- dual on 12/4
- Ironman on 12/10-11
- 2 concurrent tourneys (Beast and X-Calibur) on 12/18-19

I'm not sure why he had no matches until Powerade, though Seminary has had at least 1 other starter missing from all of those events.

Sealy is a beast and wrestles a super high pace. A pleasure to watch. He also does the Nolf treatment with his anklebands. Would love to watch the Wyoming Sem practices and see him and Shapiro get after it! Shapiro looked incredible in his final as well. That is the kid I hope PSU gets above all others. His style fits so well!

I don't think many people think Cael is untouchable at recruiting -- if anything, when someone commits elsewhere, the responses are generally split between sigh can't get them all vs. that's OK he'll get the next one. Occasionally some joker will say Cael is losing his touch.

Cael will definitely have to work to get Shapiro. That said, if I'm looking to land a Top 5 guy, many other coaches I'd worry about before Manning: Brands, Tan Tom, Smith, Bormet, Zeke, Koll, Grey, Reina. At least. Even Eggum.

Manning is great at landing guys a level or two below that, and compiling a very good if not top team.
There are always kids who beat to a different drum, who choose schools that shocks everyone. Not saying Shapiro to Nebraska will be that, but I’m pretty certain Manning is selling the farm trying.

ADVERTISEMENT