ADVERTISEMENT

Post your coaching qualifications here

I am an avid reader and curious.

tenor.gif

I played Madden back in the 90s and won my fantasy football league two years ago with a strong defense. I was once upgraded to first class on a flight I shared with Rahne (he was in coach) a few years ago out of Portland after elite 11 at Nike hq. I think he was trying to figure out who the guy in the psu gear in first class was as he walked by so that counts for something.

I sat beside Walker Gilette once on a flight and hold the record for longest completion in Rich Stadium parking lot history.

I will play :rolleyes:

2 years Coconut Creek High School, Broward County 1998-1999 seasons
Linebackers and Corners two different seasons. HC Grantis Bell flirted with NFL--Major Harris's #1 WR caught TD vs. ND in 90' game.

Attended 2 coaching clinics back then (before YouTube and Madden ;)
U of F when Stoops was DC and ran the clinic and PSU...wont say who was running that ;( I say this cause back then it was classroom and field experience...not like it is now lol.

Had an oppty to be Asst S&C at U of Miami for Butch and Tom Moffit--current LSU head S&C-you are the get back coach on gameday....$18K a year back then....should of coulda my only fork in the road in life...yes would have had either a ring with Coker--or went to Cleveland with Butch or went to LSU with Moffitt (still at LSU) when Saban took that job....I was seriously wanting to go to next level-wish I did...Moffitt gave me a tour of their weight room--and introduced me to an underclassmen there wearing a white cut off t-shirt doing preacher curls-Ed Reed.

We won county in 98', so we were the coaching staff for the Miami-Dade Broward All Star game. Wow lot of talent on the field....Asante Samuels, Bryant McFadden, Erasmus James, there's more....forget been awhile...

Also coached Tyrone Moss RB as a freshman-started varsity---transferred to Ely following year...big head didn't listen. Took him to his first college football game PSU vs. Miami 99'. Tyrone recently passed away at 34.

I coached Darryl McClover 5* back then SuperPrep 25 kid--stud 4.4 40 6'3" 225LBs (7yrs NFL Bears/Jets)...went to UoM told him not to go-lol. He asked why? I said cuz we play you at DE and they have Dan Morgan and just recruited Jonathan Vilma and this kid from Cali named DJ Williams...Darryl couldn't cover...

Michael Timpson asked me to coach with him at Westminster Academy few yrs later....

2009-2017 Pop Warner for Parkland Rangers-of those years only coached my sons teams 4 yrs--other years had the older teams prep'em for HS.

Our HC for 3 of those seasons was John Bock 92' Louisville team that beat Alabama w/Schnellenberger-NFL-6yrs Dolphins (was in Monday night miracle comeback), Jets, Bills. I was DC and we also had Steve Shine NW 94' draft--Bengals picked Kijana then Steve with their next pick-he was my DLine coach...also had 95' Butkus award candidate Tyrus McCloud played NFL for few years back up to Ray Leiws lol.

Coached with a lot of alpha males and saw a lot of stuff....I will go right to the tape and dry erase board with almost anyone...talk the talk no my $#@! and can get the Airborne Infantry message across to a kid-who I would earn their respect even though I didn't play college...

img

Circa 2013 vs. Ft. Pierce Tuesday night game 80 miles away--we won 14-9. After game pic-John Bock on left, my son William in middle and I am on right...those weren't my 9 points--safety and INT TD ;)

Reactions: Fac and Nitt1300
I played my high school ball in the late 60's at Southern Columbia. One my coaches there was Joe Sarra. He was a major influence on my life for more than 40 years.
I was recruited to Mansfield University by Rod Kelchner....who gained such acclaim for landing me that they elevated him to college president (humor).
Among the coaches I played for a MSU were Gibby Romaine and Penn State's own Bernie Sabol.(Bernie was quite the character.)
Romaine went on to coach at Maryland and his prize pupil there was Hall of Famer and Cowboy Randy White. Once over a few drinks, years later, Gibby, an East Stroudsburg HOFer assured me that I was his greatest coaching success (humor).
I spent a year working as an assistant with Bob "Geech" Gutshall (an Altoona legend and good friend) at Southern and then moved to Marlboro High School in New York for 37 years. I was an assistant FB coach for 2 years and Head FB Coach for 13 years.
While active, I was one of the founders of the Mid-Hudson Football Camp along with my friend Dave Gettleman (current GM of the NY Giants).
While I considered my self a brilliant tactician, I began my career (first two seasons) with a 3-15 record. Football had little traction at Marlboro and a winning tradition in baseball and basketball only.
My final 11 season were somewhat more successful as we finished up I believe, 86-34.
NY did not have state championships at that time. We did win 5 league titles and 2 "super six" championships during that time.
In 1986 I retired from football coaching to assume the full time duties of director of athletics. A position I held until I retired from the district in 2009.
One of the things I am most proud of is that when I left.....the superintendent of schools, the assistant superintendent, the director of buildings and grounds and 3 school board members, were all former players of mine. In addition, a Pop Warner organization was initiated in the community and the president was also a former player.
In the final year of my employment, we were engaged in a new field/stadium project. I was honored to have that athletic field bear my name. But life doesn't always end in accolades......the field dedication took place exactly two weeks to the day after I lost my wife to cancer. It was truly a bitter sweet occasion and a day she should have been able to take center stage and be recognized. She was truly a wonderful coaches wife. She would host impromptu "victory" parties in our home for coaching staff and friends. Week after week. Even though "the coach" forbid her from preparing ahead of time (superstition).
After my wife's death, I decided to go back to work and I currently act as Coordinator of a 17 team public school athletic league here in NY. I also work as a negotiator of contracts with sport officials and chair that committee with the NYSPHSAA.

Last edited:
I played my high school ball in the late 60's at Southern Columbia. One my coaches there was Joe Sarra. He was a major influence on my life for more than 40 years.
I was recruited to Mansfield University by Rod Kelchner....who gained such acclaim for landing me that they elevated him to college president (humor).
Among the coaches I played for a MSU were Gibby Romaine and Penn State's own Bernie Sabol.(Bernie was quite the character.)
Romaine went on to coach at Maryland and his prize pupil there was Hall of Famer and Cowboy Randy White. Once over a few drinks, years later, Gibby, an East Stroudsburg HOFer assured me that I was his greatest coaching success (humor).
I spent a year working as an assistant with Bob "Geech" Gutshall (an Altoona legend and good friend) at Southern and then moved to Marlboro High School in New York for 37 years. I was an assistant FB coach for 2 years and Head FB Coach for 13 years.
While active, I was one of the founders of the Mid-Hudson Football Camp along with my friend Dave Gettleman (current GM of the NY Giants).
While I considered my self a brilliant tactician, I began my career (first two seasons) with a 2-14 record. Football had little traction at Marlboro and a winning tradition in baseball and basketball only.
My final 11 season were somewhat more successful as we finished up I believe, 86-34.
NY did not have state championships at that time. We did win 5 league titles and 2 "super six" championships during that time.
In 1986 I retired from football coaching to assume the full time duties of director of athletics. A position I held until I retired from the district in 2009.
One of the things I am most proud of is that when I left.....the superintendent of schools, the assistant superintendent, the director of buildings and grounds and 3 school board members, were all former players of mine. In addition, a Pop Warner organization was initiated in the community and the president was also a former player.
In the final year of my employment, we were engaged in a new field/stadium project. I was honored to have that athletic field bear my name. But life doesn't always end in accolades......the field dedication took place exactly two weeks to the day after I lost my wife to cancer. It was truly a bitter sweet occasion and a day she should have been able to take center stage and be recognized. She was truly a wonderful coaches wife. She would host impromptu "victory" parties in our home for coaching staff and friends. Week after week. Even though "the coach" forbid her from preparing ahead of time (superstition).
After my wife's death, I decided to go back to work and I currently act as Coordinator of a 17 team public school athletic league here in NY. I also work as a negotiator of contracts with sport officials and chair that committee with the NYSPHSAA.
good job!! Gib Romaine is a good man, last I knew AD at Hood College in Fredrick MD. It was an all girls school, until they had to admit men.
Besides Randy White he coached Mark Duda as well, among many others.

good job!! Gib Romaine is a good man, last I knew AD at Hood College in Fredrick MD. It was an all girls school, until they had to admit men.
Besides Randy White he coached Mark Duda as well, among many others.
I last spoke to Gib around 2005. I had lost contact with him but got his phone number from Bobby Ross when he was coaching at Army. I believe he retired around 2013. A good guy. One thing I forgot to add.....Gib coached defense at MSU and it hurt me when he left. I was undersized and tried to play a corner in a 5-4 (now 3-4) his D. When they brought Bernie Sabol in he played PSU's D, which was a split 4. with 3 deep. I was not suited to play any of the 3 deep positions on the D.

Last edited:
Try running 50 restaurants or owning one. Everyone is a critic! Everyone can do it better.

Especially with social media. It is tough!!

Reactions: BBrown
Try running 50 restaurants or owning one. Everyone is a critic! Everyone can do it better.

Especially with social media. It is tough!!
My advice.....I used to tell this to my young coaches......don't be concerned with criticism, unless its legitimate.

Never worried about criticism. After 35 years.in the restaurant industry I’m used to it.

But coaches should learn from it as we do as to how to make the program better. Everyone can’t be wrong and the coach or manager isn’t always right.

Some of my best recipes or remodels have come from guests giving advice. Are they a chef? No. Do they have the right amount of restaurant experience to give real advice ? Absolutely not. But perhaps it could open a doorway to cause a light bulb to go off that you would never have expected.

Now the guests or board members that get crazy and curse etc need to dial it down and ask if they would want it done at their business.

I bet that some of franklins plays or advice has come from comments by people. He would never in a million years tell us though.

Never worried about criticism. After 35 years.in the restaurant industry I’m used to it.

But coaches should learn from it as we do as to how to make the program better. Everyone can’t be wrong and the coach or manager isn’t always right.

Some of my best recipes or remodels have come from guests giving advice. Are they a chef? No. Do they have the right amount of restaurant experience to give real advice ? Absolutely not. But perhaps it could open a doorway to cause a light bulb to go off that you would never have expected.

Now the guests or board members that get crazy and curse etc need to dial it down and ask if they would want it done at their business.

I bet that some of franklins plays or advice has come from comments by people. He would never in a million years tell us though.

I would tend to disagree on your last paragraph. I doubt that "plays" or schemes come from fans.
The common theme may be that good food attracts patrons. Winning games puts fannies in the seats.

The guest will never give a recipe start to finish per hcaap guidelines same as a scheme. But they will give suggestions as people do that to coaches. It is then their job to come up with the scheme just like someone in my profession putting something on a menu.

Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful.... you get the idea. A successful, productive, meaningful experience for both athlete and coach or any other human relationship, must begin with trust.

Reactions: ftlpsu
Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful.... you get the idea. A successful, productive, meaningful experience for both athlete and coach or any other human relationship, must begin with trust.
Even high school coaches have to recruit. Not illegally, but in the hallways and lower grades of your district. A coach needs to paint a portrait of what it is he wishes to accomplish and put that youngster in the landscape so that he can "buy in" and share the coaches vision for the program.
Off season weight and conditioning sessions are also essential in HS. Not just for the measurable gains.....but for the opportunity to forge a different kind of relationship with your players. Being less buttoned down and having a wide range of conversations with each individual.IMO, this creates strong roots that can pay dividends during the stress of in season competition.

Reactions: bison13
Have @SJLuvsLions on speed dial.

OK I'll bite LOL

1 - Coached high school for 40 years
2- Co-Offensive Coordinator with the Head Coach for about 35 years
3- Have no idea whatsoever what my won-loss record is, but I do have 10 New Jersey State Championships

I guess this ranks me just a notch above Spyker in knowledge but somewhere below @WTNuke as a Defensive Genius. :cool:

I would tend to disagree on your last paragraph. I doubt that "plays" or schemes come from fans.
The common theme may be that good food attracts patrons. Winning games puts fannies in the seats.

Wasn't there some promo a few years ago where if you won you got to call a play in the Superbowl? I seem to remember something like that although it might not have been as big a game as the Superbowl.
I wonder how it worked out?

So can I add something? Can I see just a little pre-snap motion once and a while? ;)

Coached a Strat-O-Matic baseball team one summer around 1973.
Organized daily kick ball games with the neighbor kids back in the late 60's.

Wasn't there some promo a few years ago where if you won you got to call a play in the Superbowl? I seem to remember something like that although it might not have been as big a game as the Superbowl.
I wonder how it worked out?

So can I add something? Can I see just a little pre-snap motion once and a while? ;)

Like Freiermuth motioning across the LOS to Trap Block the DE or to release on a Flat Route? THAT kinda motion? ;)

Reactions: ftlpsu and BBrown
I have done tequila shots with the current head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles, Doug Pedersen. Since I am not an NFL fan or an Eagles fanboy, I think he actually appreciated talking about something other then the NFL. This was before he drafted some PSU players this year, so I did talk about Penn State a bit. He knows Franklin of course, and said that PSU was one of the college stadiums he wants to see some time.

But, I do think he was impressed in how I moved my lime and salt around while doing tequila shots. Like I was a natural offensive coordinator diagramming plays or something.

I see Comcast and NFL films dude Greg Cosell every now and then at the gym. We have a nodding acquaintance - I think that is enough to qualify me as an NFL commentator/knowledgeable person.

I played golf at a couple of courses owned by Ron Jaworski. I used to also deliver his newspaper as a kid.

Reactions: marshall23
Your an expert in my book!!

My sister ‘gave a handy’ to Mike Ditka and then came home and rolled some pasta for me (sans washing hands). I like to think I shared some genetic material with Ditka.

Last edited:
Reactions: stormingnorm
Went to two national championship bowls w/PSU - one of which we won! Then again, I was in the Blue Band.

Reactions: RU31trap
ADVERTISEMENT