ADVERTISEMENT

Possible good medical news in New Jersey

whart

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2004
Fort Worth TX
Just had a brief chat with a family member who is a Doctor at Virtua Hospital NJ. They told me that as of today they only have 1 Covid case that is admitted. Ironically....where they are extremely busy is a Very large volume of existing conditions ( surgery....treatments etc) that were delayed due to the earlier pandemic. Hopefully, this Covid trend continues and folks stop delaying procedures/ tests, that are needed to maintain ongoing health.

COVID hasn't been a threat in NJ for at least a couple of months, and I'm glad to see more people realizing that fact. Hospitalizations went from over 2,000 at the beginning of June to under 500 now. New deaths went from over 100 a day at the beginning of June to under 10 per day since the beginning of August.

Just had a brief chat with a family member who is a Doctor at Virtua Hospital NJ. They told me that as of today they only have 1 Covid case that is admitted. Ironically....where they are extremely busy is a Very large volume of existing conditions ( surgery....treatments etc) that were delayed due to the earlier pandemic. Hopefully, this Covid trend continues and folks stop delaying procedures/ tests, that are needed to maintain ongoing health.
I follow Alex Berenson, who is a former NYT writer who appears on the Fox weeknight shows often, on Twitter. He provides very detailed daily stats regarding Covid 19. He believes that some herd immunity already has happened in certain parts of this country.

One other thing that may be having an impact is the increased public level of mask wearing. I know this is a sore subject with a lot of people on this board who claim they are medically unable to wear masks.
Data is piling up that while wearing most masks you aren’t protected from getting exposed to SARS CoV - 2, but you are far more likely to develop an asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic infection. Why is this ? It has everything to do with the viral dose to which you are exposed. If you get a big slug of this virus, you are starting off from a bad disadvantage with your immune system trying to play catch up from the beginning. This makes you more likely to develop the immune overcompensation that results in the inflammation cascade that precedes severe COVID.
So if more people are exposed and develop immunity without even knowing it, population level resistance to this virus is steadily building without being realized. This is why we need a widely available, rapid and accurate test to quantify what is actually going on with herd immunity.

Last edited:
One other thing that may be having an impact is the increased public level of mask wearing. I know this is a sore subject with a lot of people on this board who claim they are medically unable to wear masks.
Data is piling up that while wearing most masks you aren’t protected from getting exposed to SARS CoV - 2, but you are far more likely to develop an asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic infection. Why is this ? It has everything to do with the viral dose to which you are exposed. If you get a big slug of this virus, you are starting off from a bad disadvantage with your immune system trying to play catch up from the beginning. This makes you more likely to develop the immune over compensation that results in the inflammation cascade that precedes severe COVID.
So if more people are exposed and develop immunity without even knowing it, population level resistance to this virus is steadily building without being realized. This is why we need a widely available, rapid and accurate test to quantify what is actually going on with herd immunity.

Very good news. Numbers here in the Lehigh Valley are very low as well, like less than 25 people hospitalized.

NJ needs to allow indoor dining already!

COVID hasn't been a threat in NJ for at least a couple of months, and I'm glad to see more people realizing that fact. Hospitalizations went from over 2,000 at the beginning of June to under 500 now. New deaths went from over 100 a day at the beginning of June to under 10 per day since the beginning of August.

That would have been great news back when we were trying to flatten the curve and those were the goalposts. Now, the focus is on active cases and we must stay shut down until we have a vaccine, don't you know?

Good to see NJ is where most of the rest of the country has been for weeks.

Well here in Lycoming county our Hospitals never got above 4 patients until about 2 weeks ago. When a nursing home in Milton had an outbreak of over 100. They split the patients among a number of hospitals. Oh and that nursing home is state run!

Reactions: MtNittany
Well here in Lycoming county our Hospitals never got above 4 patients until about 2 weeks ago. When a nursing home in Milton had an outbreak of over 100. They split the patients among a number of hospitals. Oh and that nursing home is state run!
Probably bussing in the nearly dead in an effort to up the county's numbers. Is Milton even in Lyco County?

It's privately owned.

ADVERTISEMENT