ADVERTISEMENT

Positives from the Purdue win that will impact the team going forward this season....

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
1. Wallace finally got benched, in favor of Effner. At least that's how I saw it at the time, but Franklin said after the game that they had planned to substitute on the OL. Wallace proved once again to everyone watching the game that he is not a B10 OT. Some say he would be a good Guard, but I don't see that either. But for the sake of this season Wallace needs to be replaced at Right OT. The options seem to be benching him in favor of Effner, or moving Tengwell out the Right OT and then letting Wallace try and find playing time at Guard competing against Wormley and Nourzad. Or is the true freshman Shelton good enough to get practicing full time at Right OT and then throw in at Right OR when he has reportedly been practicing as the back up at Left OT behind Fashanu?

** Could someone in the media have the stones to ask Franklin on Tuesday what he plans to do to fix the turnstile at Right OT????

2. The young players at Safety got a good taste of competing against a good team in a hostile environment and came away more ready to compete and make plays for the remainder of the season. Wheatley made a key play when he caused the fumble that was recovered by Porter, and seemed to get on the field regularly. Same for Reed at Safety.

3. The CB's all seemed to play pretty well. Hardy made some great plays but on the key play where he caught up to knock the ball away it was only because the Purdue WR's were pretty slow that allowed him to recover. He won't be able to do that against UM or oh-high-ya so there are lessons to learn from this game. Wish they would learn to eliminate the after the play showboating and let their play speak for itself......

4. The young DE's got plenty of playing time but had limited success in their pass rush which will get them more acclimated to what it takes to make plays in the B10. Chop played a ton and looked decent but didn't get a sack and had only 1 tackle according to the stats on my CBS Sports app. DDS got some snaps but didn't seem to make an impact. I thought Vanover #56? looked athletic and moved very well, more like a LB than a DE considering his listed size. Also great that Mustipher seemed to play pretty well in his return from injury.

5. Allar got his feet wet. If the team can get a comfortable lead this coming week he should get another couple of series of experience.

6. Both Singleton and Allen got their share of carries and should build on that going forward. After some initial spurts Singleton got tackled in the backfield too many times. The oline needs to step up and get better as this season moves along, but we have been hoping for that for too many years........ :(

7. Strange make a highlight play for his TD, and Warren played well as well. TE really should be a strength this season. But where was Johnson and is he hurt or just in the dog house? Another question for Tuesday.

8. Special teams performed very well. KO's were in the end zone for the most part by both kickers, the punting was pretty good, and the kick coverage looked pretty good as well.

I was hoping that a big positive would be that a couple of 2nd team WR's stepped up and made catches to show that PSU has great depth at WR, but I don't remember that happening. Wallace was targeted twice according to the game stats but didn't have a catch. Where were Meiga and Saunders, or Dottin? Great the KLS make a big play for a TD and we have to hope that is how he'll play going forward, as apposed to the 3 blatant drops that led to his 4 catches in 9 targets.

About the same for the LB's. Elsdon looked slow in coverage, Sutherland was all over the field but I can't remember him making any splash plays (he was credited with 2 tackles), and Jacobs was solid. A shame Carter got ejected but that's the new college football. I thought he led with his shoulder, but there was head to head contact and the whistle had blown even thought the Purdue player was scrambling to pick up the ball. Carter likely will get lots of PT this coming week and may grow into an impact player as the season goes along.

Anything to add??

Last edited:
1. Wallace finally got benched, in favor of Effner. Wallace proved once again to everyone watching the game that he is not a B10 OT. Some say he would be a good Guard, but I don't see that either. But for the sake of this season Wallace needs to be replaced at Right OT. The options seem to be benching him in favor of Effner, or moving Tengwell out the Right OT and then letting Wallace try and find playing time at Guard competing against Wormley and Nourzad. Or is Shelton good enough to throw in at Right Guard when he has reportedly been backing up at Left Guard? ** Could someone in the media have the stones to ask Franklin on Tuesday what he plans to do to fix the turnstile at Right OT????

2. The young players at Safety got a good taste of competing against a good team in a hostile environment and came away more ready to compete and make plays for the remainder of the season. Wheatley made a key play when he caused the fumble that was recovered by Porter, and seemed to get on the field regularly. Same for Reed at Safety.

3. The CB's all seemed to play pretty well. Hardy made some great plays but on the key play where he caught up to knock the ball away it was only because the Purdue WR's were pretty slow that allowed him to recover. He won't be able to do that against UM or oh-high-ya so there are lessons to learn from this game. Wish they would learn to eliminate the after the play showboating and let their play speak for itself......

4. The young DE's got plenty of playing time but had limited success in their pass rush which will get them more acclimated to what it takes to make plays in the B10. Chop played a ton and looked decent but didn't get a sack and had only 1 tackle. DDS got some snaps but didn't seem to make an impact. I thought Vanover #56? looked athletic and moved very well, more like a LB than a DE considering his listed size. Also great that Mustipher seemed to play pretty well in his return from injury.

5. Allar got his feet wet. If the team can get a comfortable lead this coming week he should get another couple of series of experience.

6. Both Singleton and Allen got their share of carries and should build on that going forward. After some initial spurts Singleton got tackled in the backfield too many times. The oline needs to step up and get better as this season moves along, but we have been hoping for that for too many years........ :(

7. Strange make a highlight play for his TD, and Warren played well as well. TE really should be a strength this season. But where was Johnson and is he hurt or just in the dog house? Another question for Tuesday.

8. Special teams performed very well. KO's were in the end zone for the most part by both kickers, the punting was pretty good, and the kick coverage looked pretty good as well.

I was hoping that a big positive would be that a couple of 2nd team WR's stepped up and made catches to show that PSU has great depth at WR, but I don't remember that happening. Wallace was targeted twice according to the game stats but didn't have a catch. Where were Meiga and Saunders, or Dottin? Great the KLS make a big play for a TD and we have to hope that is how he'll play going forward, as apposed to the 3 blatant drops that led to his 4 catches in 9 targets.

About the same for the LB's. Elsdon looked slow in coverage, Sutherland was all over the field but I can't remember him making any splash plays (he was credited with 2 tackles), and Jacobs was solid. A shame Carter got ejected but that's the new college football. I thought he led with his shoulder, but there was head to head contact and the whistle had blown even thought the Purdue player was scrambling to pick up the ball. Carter likely will get lots of PT this coming week and may grow into an impact player as the season goes along.

Anything to add??
CHOP Robinson did have a sack. The one that closed out the game on Perdue's final play. TEs other than Strange TD were OK. Warren dropped two catchable balls. Didn't notice their blocking to be anything that stood out.

Agree about MLB pass coverage. Not good. As you said, LB position is really thin. Need Carter on fast track.

Issac does seems small and weak. Have to give DEs a slight pass this game because O'Connell got rid of the ball so quickly which was expected.

Definitely concerned about RT. Wallace is not the answer. I would try Effner there and give Wallace a look @ guard and let him be 2nd string RT.

Young Safties learned alot last night. Great game for growth.

Allar and Veilleux need PT against Ohio and Central Michigan. Clifford is injury prone and we need two other game experienced QBs. Give Allar & Veilleux a couple series each with the first team.

1. Wallace finally got benched, in favor of Effner. Wallace proved once again to everyone watching the game that he is not a B10 OT. Some say he would be a good Guard, but I don't see that either. But for the sake of this season Wallace needs to be replaced at Right OT. The options seem to be benching him in favor of Effner, or moving Tengwell out the Right OT and then letting Wallace try and find playing time at Guard competing against Wormley and Nourzad. Or is Shelton good enough to throw in at Right Guard when he has reportedly been backing up at Left Guard? ** Could someone in the media have the stones to ask Franklin on Tuesday what he plans to do to fix the turnstile at Right OT????

4. The young DE's got plenty of playing time but had limited success in their pass rush which will get them more acclimated to what it takes to make plays in the B10. Chop played a ton and looked decent but didn't get a sack and had only 1 tackle. DDS got some snaps but didn't seem to make an impact. I thought Vanover #56? looked athletic and moved very well, more like a LB than a DE considering his listed size. Also great that Mustipher seemed to play pretty well in his return from injury.

I was hoping that a big positive would be that a couple of 2nd team WR's stepped up and made catches to show that PSU has great depth at WR, but I don't remember that happening. Wallace was targeted twice according to the game stats but didn't have a catch. Where were Meiga and Saunders, or Dottin? Great the KLS make a big play for a TD and we have to hope that is how he'll play going forward, as apposed to the 3 blatant drops that led to his 4 catches

Anything to add??
Although the young man is clearly an athlete, as evidenced by his terrific late game blitz take down, (#3) was getting beat like a drum for ball position against the Purdue wide receivers......and he was inexplicably celebrating/talking after the play was unsuccessful, although through no effect of his. ----Agree that overall the secondary performed very well (absent some dropped interceptions), and that this is likely the best passing/decision making QB they will see until they see OSU

Last edited:
Reactions: GregInPitt
1. I liked that we got several freshman experience. This will help develop good depth for the meat of the B1G schedule.

2. I am wondering if our pass rush was limited by how quickly the Purdue QB was getting rid of the ball.

3. Big mistake on punt coverage with the ball at the 1 yard line.

4. Run game: I was disappointed that Singleton only played one series the second half. It does look like he and Allen have an extra burst compared to Lee. I would like to see us get them the ball in space. The playcalling was frustrating in that we had to have run on first down about 80% of the time. Defenses are going to take advantage of this.

5. We did convert a couple of 3rd / 4th and shorts and used a little variety. I was very pleased to see that.

6. The WR's started of with the drops, but got back to form after a rough 1st quarter.

7. Allar - what an improvement since the Blue/White game!

8. Tackling needs to improve.

Amor averaged 46.9, put 2 punts inside the 10 and a 3rd should have been downed at the 2. Purdue had one punt return for zero yards. Punting looked better than pretty good to me.

Last edited:
I like that we have another 99 doing kick offs.....liked to see him lay out a return man like Joey "JJ" Julius....

Effner not the answer at OT in my opinion......perhaps Tengwell with Nouzard and Wormley starting at Guard.....or Wallace moving to guard.

Effner is a great try hard player.....but he got beaten on a continuous basis last year........

CHOP Robinson did have a sack. The one that closed out the game on Perdue's final play. TEs other than Strange TD were OK. Warren dropped two catchable balls. Didn't notice their blocking to be anything that stood out.

Agree about MLB pass coverage. Not good. As you said, LB position is really thin. Need Carter on fast track.

Issac does seems small and weak. Have to give DEs a slight pass this game because O'Connell got rid of the ball so quickly which was expected.

Definitely concerned about RT. Wallace is not the answer. I would try Effner there and give Wallace a look @ guard and let him be 2nd string RT.

Young Safties learned alot last night. Great game for growth.

Allar and Veilleux need PT against Ohio and Central Michigan. Clifford is injury prone and we need two other game experienced QBs. Give Allar & Veilleux a couple series each with the first team.
According to the summary I saw, as well as the link below, Sutherland and Dixon had the only sacks for PSU.

I just watched a highlight tape of the last 2 minutes of Penn State's final offensive drive. All of the play calls were well-planned and well-executed. Clifford did not hold the ball for too long on any of those plays. That final drive just looked very different than most of our previous drives. It made me think back to the days of McSorely and Moorhead running the offense. There's just something amiss with a number of our offensive plays these days and that they take too long to develop and Clifford holds on to the ball for too long.

4. The young DE's got plenty of playing time but had limited success in their pass rush which will get them more acclimated to what it takes to make plays in the B10. Chop played a ton and looked decent but didn't get a sack and had only 1 tackle according to the stats on my CBS Sports app. DDS got some snaps but didn't seem to make an impact. I thought Vanover #56? looked athletic and moved very well, more like a LB than a DE considering his listed size. Also great that Mustipher seemed to play pretty well in his return from injury.

Anything to add??
Watched most of it. Good game. By the end of next year, Allar will be the best QB in the B1G.

Anything to add??
Really? Wallace was benched? I thought that was him there in the 4th quarter giving up that sack with about 6 minutes to play. IF He was benched it was only for the last drive...unless I saw it wrong.

Really? Wallace was benched? I thought that was him there in the 4th quarter giving up that sack with about 6 minutes to play. IF He was benched it was only for the last drive...unless I saw it wrong.
It was early in the 3rd quarter when I noticed that $72 Effner was in the game. Didn't really focus on it after than so they could have been alternating series. If/when PSU puts out a participation summary maybe they'll show the number of snaps for Wallace and Effner.

I just watched a highlight tape of the last 2 minutes of Penn State's final offensive drive. All of the play calls were well-planned and well-executed. Clifford did not hold the ball for too long on any of those plays. That final drive just looked very different than most of our previous drives. It made me think back to the days of McSorely and Moorhead running the offense. There's just something amiss with a number of our offensive plays these days and that they take too long to develop and Clifford holds on to the ball for too long.
Yep, I just rewatched the last drive. On the Lee TD they were late to switch back from the replay to live action and they basically switched back as the ball was snapped. So I had to freeze it there and count the Purdue defenders that were lined up to rush Clifford. 7 of them. 4 DB's and 4 receivers (3 WR's and the TE Warren) going out for PSU. Pressure early on Clifford as Lee broke into the pattern and the Purdue LB that lined up to rush pretty quickly broke to cover Lee but he was just behind Lee and it looked like Lee was enough faster to create enough separation to catch it at the 4 and go in. Great play call and perfect execution.

Yep, I just rewatched the last drive. On the Lee TD they were late to switch back from the replay to live action and they basically switched back as the ball was snapped. So I had to freeze it there and count the Purdue defenders that were lined up to rush Clifford. 7 of them. 4 DB's and 4 receivers (3 WR's and the TE Warren) going out for PSU. Pressure early on Clifford as Lee broke into the pattern and the Purdue LB that lined up to rush pretty quickly broke to cover Lee but he was just behind Lee and it looked like Lee was enough faster to create enough separation to catch it at the 4 and go in. Great play call and perfect execution.

The had the same wheel route earlier in that series and the RB was wide open. Sean didn’t see it and I believe threw over the middle, might have been the completion to 44. I told my buddy I sure hope they come back to that wheel and they did for the TD.

Arguably OConnell is the second best QB in the Big Ten after Stroud and Clifford was able to best him on the road in front of a hostile crowd so there's that.
OConnell will put up lots of yards for the season and probably be 2nd team All B10 at season's end unless PSU has a great season on the back of a great season by Clifford or one of the Michigan QB breaks out. But I wasn't as impressed with him as I thought I'd be based upon the hype.

He seemed to get rattled in the 4th quarter when PSU finally turned up the pass rush. And some of his throws didn't have the zip on them that would be expected of an NFL caliber arm. Anyone know where he ranks as an NFL prospect?

OConnell will put up lots of yards for the season and probably be 2nd team All B10 at season's end unless PSU has a great season on the back of a great season by Clifford or one of the Michigan QB breaks out. But I wasn't as impressed with him as I thought I'd be based upon the hype.

He seemed to get rattled in the 4th quarter when PSU finally turned up the pass rush. And some of his throws didn't have the zip on them that would be expected of an NFL caliber arm. Anyone know where he ranks as an NFL prospect?
I read that he would have been a 5th - 6th rounder last year.....he wanted to come back to improve that rating. He is acurate, seems to read defenses well, anticipates well, but does not have the strength that the elite QBs have coming out.

Guys have really grown with one more year like Burrow, Pickett....so I think that he was hoping for a jump like those guys.

Heard one of the commentators say after the game that Penn State should use the hurry up offense like they did on the final drive more often. Clifford was his same exasperating self. Threw a terrible pick six (although there is no way he should not have been tackled before scoring) to put the team in a hole. However, they don't win last night's game without Clifford and the final drive he engineered. Glad to see Franklin play a lot of young players, including true freshman. He needs to continue to do that and, IMO, play Allar if the team gets a big lead and even a series or two in every game kind of like Michigan did last year (and I'm a one QB guy). Nail biter for sure, but given that it was an opening game on the road in front of a hostile crowd, on balance I think it was a good win.

Reactions: Jerry
Here's some big positives I saw:

First, this is the very type of game we have been consistently losing over the last 3 years. So finding a way to win, especially on the road in a difficult environment, when they could have packed it in after giving up a good size 1H lead, than losing the lead again late after a really bad, and catastrophic, Pick-6... is a huge positive and will help this team's confidence - especially that last drive.

The one thing about Franklin is that he rarely gets blown out and is almost always "in it" at the end. When CJF first took over, he won the vast majority of these tight games, then over the last 3 years, the diametric happened, PSU was consistently losing these really tight games. Winning this one, especially on the road (and the way they came through on their final drive) will translate as as the kids have faced the fire and earned a tough win by grinding and executing at the end.

Secondly, I think that last drive was humungous for Cliff - really don't think his head would have been in a good place had we lost that game on the back of his Pick-6 given how horrendous that pass was to a wide-open receiver.

Watched most of it. Good game. By the end of next year, Allar will be the best QB in the B1G.
That seems like a stretch. I want to see him get a quarter in the Ohio and Central Michigan games to get extended real game PT.

I like that we have another 99 doing kick offs.....liked to see him lay out a return man like Joey "JJ" Julius....
Nwosu’s gotta be the biggest kicker I’ve ever seen — 6’6” 276! Looks like a DE kicking off.

Arguably OConnell is the second best QB in the Big Ten after Stroud and Clifford was able to best him on the road in front of a hostile crowd so there's that.
Now there you go backing up your position with the facts. Don't you know that doesn't play here?
It's already been decided by the couch coaches that not only will Allar be PSU's best quarterback.....but the best in the Big Ten by the end of the season.
Cliff is just in the way. ;)

If those that watched the game hadn't read the hype on OConnell, what would our opinion be of him now?

For me, I didn't see an NFL arm from OConnell. Some of his throws were floating too long and allowed PSU DB's too much time to make up ground with the ball in the air. And his accuracy looks good when he's standing in a clean pocket, but wasn't nearly as good when he had to move around due to the pass rush. Physically he doesn't look very stout either. Did he just have a bad game (for him)?

I'm wrong a lot, but I don't see him making it in the NFL........... o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: marshall23
If those that watched the game hadn't read the hype on OConnell, what would our opinion be of him now?

For me, I didn't see an NFL arm from OConnell. Some of his throws were floating too long and allowed PSU DB's too much time to make up ground with the ball in the air. And his accuracy looks good when he's standing in a clean pocket, but wasn't nearly as good when he had to move around due to the pass rush. Physically he doesn't look very stout either. Did he jusk have a bad game (for him)?

I'm wrong a lot but I don't see him making it in the NFL........... o_O
“I am wrong a lot”......this is the internet. You could be banned for such outrageous statements!🤦🏻‍♀️

For me, I didn't see an NFL arm from OConnell. Some of his throws were floating too long and allowed PSU DB's too much time to make up ground with the ball in the air. And his accuracy looks good when he's standing in a clean pocket, but wasn't nearly as good when he had to move around due to the pass rush. Physically he doesn't look very stout either. Did he just have a bad game (for him)?

Supposedly the NFL scouts like him. PSU held him well below his normal completion percentage. He certainly gets the ball out quickly, so maybe it is his decision making ability they like. He does seem to have limitations with deep throws.

If the NFL liked him, he would be on a 53 man roster or signing to a practice squad. I don't know why the comment Klatt made about Clifford didn't apply to Aiden because it's exactly the same thing. If anything, the Purdue QB is in worse shape. 72% completion and 2nd team in conference and he didn't get go in last years nfl class (which sucked for QBs)?

He is who he is. Accurate passer, spot thrower, poor feet and mobility, average arm.

He had a below average game. Got very lucky on 3 passes that weren't picked off. Charlie Jones bailed him out for 3 quarters. He caught everything.

Some interesting stats in the linked article. Interesting that among the true freshmen, Evans played and Saunders did not at WR. Some of the other interesting notes:

7:
Number of Penn State true freshmen who played: QB Drew Allar, RBs Nicholas Singleton and Kaytron Allen, WR Omari Evans, LB Abdul Carter, DT Zane Durant and DE Dani Dennis-Sutton

16: Passes broken up by Penn State's defense (per updated box score released Saturday). It marked a school record and the most in an FBS game since 2018. Joey Porter Jr. also set a school record with 6

193: Yards after catch gained by Penn State receivers. Brenton Strange (56), KeAndre Lambert-Smith (45) and Mitchell Tinsley (41) led the group.

Last edited:
Reactions: royboy
Some interesting stats in the linked article. Interesting that Evan played and Saunders did not at WR. Some of them:

7:
Number of Penn State true freshmen who played: QB Drew Allar, RBs Nicholas Singleton and Kaytron Allen, WR Omari Evans, LB Abdul Carter, DT Zane Durant and DE Dani Dennis-Sutton

16: Passes broken up by Penn State's defense (per updated box score released Saturday). It marked a school record and the most in an FBS game since 2018. Joey Porter Jr. also set a school record with 6

193: Yards after catch gained by Penn State receivers. Brenton Strange (56), KeAndre Lambert-Smith (45) and Mitchell Tinsley (41) led the group.

The way PSU won is very positive for the future imho. PSU's defense played their best football in the 4th Qtr preserving PSU's opportunity for the win - and did it on the road with zero room for error. This is the diametric opposite of what's taken place the last 3 years resulting in close loss after close loss. Not this time, the defense stood tall in the 4th and the Offense executed on a drive they absolutely had to have.

ADVERTISEMENT