ADVERTISEMENT

Positively hysterical how many posing supposed-fan trolls are marketing "10-2 [and a NY6 Bowl] makes 'us' a second tier program".....

CJFisJoePaII

Sep 6, 2019
It's their latest hysterical mantra after all their bullshit about how we'd be lucky to win 7 games coming into the season [insert eyeroll]. So let me get this straight, after telling us repeatedly that the ceiling for this team in a clear rebuilding year was 8-4 or 9-3, but more likely 7-5, 6-6 or worse, accomplishing something that they said couldn't be done (10-2 and a NY6 Bowl) should be considered a clear sign of failure.... - well done dipshits - nobody saw this one coming...... LMFAO.

I'm starting to have a hard time telling the difference between true trolls, people who just like to be negative and people who truly lack any perspective on the state of CFB in general (and how freaking hard it is to have a double digit win season).

There are definitely some folks in each group, but the latter group (actual PSU fans who truly think this team isn't any good) is the most frustrating to me.

I'm starting to have a hard time telling the difference between true trolls, people who just like to be negative and people who truly lack any perspective on the state of CFB in general (and how freaking hard it is to have a double digit win season).

There are definitely some folks in each group, but the latter group (actual PSU fans who truly think this team isn't any good) is the most frustrating to me.

In regards to your last paragraph, I just can't buy that a true PSU fan lacks so much perspective that they would claim that 10-2 and a NY6 Bowl in a clear rebuilding year demonstrates failure (especially when these same posters were claiming that we had no shot of doing better than 8-4 or 9-3 and would more likely go 7-5, 6-6 or worse....) now if we do better than they said was possible in a clear rebuilding year, they change the narrative to continue to spin PSU's season in a negative fashion... They aren't true PSU fans with bullshit like that.

In regards to your last paragraph, I just can't buy that a true PSU fan lacks so much perspective that they would claim that 10-2 and a NY6 Bowl in a clear rebuilding year demonstrates failure (especially when these same posters were claiming that we had no shot of doing better than 8-4 or 9-3 and would more likely go 7-5, 6-6 or worse....) now if we do better than they said was possible in a clear rebuilding year, they change the narrative to continue to spin PSU's season in a negative fashion... They aren't true PSU fans with bullshit like that.
They either aren't true fans or literally have zero historical perspective.

I'm shocked how many "fans" have that "If you're not first, you're last" Ricky Bobby mentality.
they complain that 10-2 and a NY6 bowl is like a participation trophy but thats what they grew up getting, participation trophies.

In actuality PSU is tier 2, but tier 1 is only 4 or 5 schools (Bama, OSU, UGA, etc) so even tier 2 is the top 10%

Im sorry, is the season over and we went 10-2? If so, im pleased with that result and won't denigrate it in the least.

Reactions: mcpat
Im sorry, is the season over and we went 10-2? If so, im pleased with that result and won't denigrate it in the least.
If you promise you won't complain if the team wins 10 games, I will admit it is possible (but unlikely) that PSU won't win out.

I think it was, relative to pre-season expectations, a good year.

I also think that Michigan and OSU might have separated themselves from PSU (who has pretty much separated themselves from MSU and Iowa).

Those who think it is OK that it is starting to look like:

OSU/Michigan
PSU
MSU/Iowa
Everyone else

Are OK with it.

I just want us to be with OSU/Michigan. Can't beat them every year, just don't want to be second fiddle.

It's their latest hysterical mantra after all their bullshit about how we'd be lucky to win 7 games coming into the season [insert eyeroll]. So let me get this straight, after telling us repeatedly that the ceiling for this team in a clear rebuilding year was 8-4 or 9-3, but more likely 7-5, 6-6 or worse, accomplishing something that they said couldn't be done (10-2 and a NY6 Bowl) should be considered a clear sign of failure.... - well done dipshits - nobody saw this one coming...... LMFAO.

Not everyone realizes that less and less attention is being paid to non-championship bowl games. A close look at the tv ratings and attendance serves as a reminder. For a program as prestigious as Penn State, the goal should always be a national title run or bust.

Reactions: MacNit07 and SLion
They either aren't true fans or literally have zero historical perspective.
A significant percentage of the country has zero memory and critical thinking skills. A year ago administration officials were telling us inflation was transitory while they passed several trillion dollar bills. This year they say they haven't contributed to inflation, it just happened. It's like they think we don't recall a year's worth of telling us something that wasn't true.

Same thing here. There are some that actually said we'd have a losing season and 8 wins was the ceiling and then think we'll forget that as they now say 10 wins would be unacceptable. Worse there are some that told us Purdue, Auburn, and Minnesota were all juggernauts until we beat them, at which point they became poor teams.

So one of 3 things is happening. Either a significant percentage of people really are that dumb that they can be gaslit so easily. Or people no longer care about being honest. Or both.

I think much of the true fan is about frustration over the lack of a big win against a big opponent over an extended timeframe....with the added pain of leading many of those games into the half or final quarter. Many who followed the program for years are used to, and often complained, about the 3-5 year cycle of having a truly special team. Right now the cycle seems to be on the cusp and falling short, never getting over the hump. Personally, at this point, I realize OSU is on a recruiting/development high for WRs, and had been for DL-both of which were game changers is this and many recent games. UofM seems to be consistent in the DL/OL, and compensates with RBs and takes advantage of our lack of quality and depth up the middle and scarcity of game changers on defense (Jacobs had a return for TD against UofM but) and the same for our O line. Football always has and probably will be one of matchups. It also seems, like many sports, to bring out haters that are not in the fanbase-sometimes hard to distinguish. I remember being at Penn State in the early 80s with the Phillies in the World Series and eastern Pennyslvanians cheering and the those from the opposite end of the state screaming for the former to be quiet. I remember the Collegian running a cute cartoon on this dynamci.

Reactions: Cowbell Man
If you promise you won't complain if the team wins 10 games, I will admit it is possible (but unlikely) that PSU won't win out.
I thought 9 wins was the ceiling and and have been on record saying I would be pleased with that season(with much argument from others that "penn state should never accept such a record). You have my word, 10 wins....I can make the case that is a damn good season. Now, it sort of reminds me of 2018(?) when Franklin kept promoting how this would be the first time in history Penn State had 4 seasons collectively with 10 wins or more(never mind the fact we used to play less games so it's dumb on its face) then we got beat by MSU at home when half their team was injured and lost the bowl game to kentucky, we ended at 9 wins that year. Franklin broke on big trend this year, and he deserves credit(trend 2 below). If they go 4-0 he will have broken another major trend of the last several years:

1. Play a really sound/prepared football game out of a bye week(FAIL, Michigan game was embarrassing).
2. Play really well and with a lot of energy after a loss(SUCCESS, we looked great against Minnesota.)
3. Yet to be determined this year: Don't drop a game you really shouldn't lose. Whether its a "game you are the favorite" or just one where we know we are superior to the opposing team. Take a Michigan State or an Illinois last year.

I didn't say they already went 10-2 genius. It's your buddies who are already preemptively claiming that 10-2 and a NY6 Bowl is a failing season now that they see it is a very real possibility and far better than what they'd been spewing before the season started (IOW, change the narrative).

I didn't say they already went 10-2 genius. It's your buddies who are already preemptively claiming that 10-2 and a NY6 Bowl is a failing season now that they see it is a very real possibility and far better than what they'd been spewing before the season started (IOW, change the narrative).

My buddies? Again, I am on record saying 9-10 wins is a great season and perfectly acceptable to even the most audacious fan.

I’m thrilled if we go 10 and 2. Honestly that’s a great season for any rational fan. BUT, there remains a perception problem in who we lost to. If we continue to lose to OSU and UM yet win 10 other games it’s like we’re on treadmill not making any progress. That leads to frustration even among loyal fans.

It amazing how many supposedly die hard football fans think these ten wins represent anything special. 10 wins against garbage competition. If half these teams had a pulse a Franklin led PennState would have at least 5 loses.

Reactions: Cowbell Man
Not everyone realizes that less and less attention is being paid to non-championship bowl games. A close look at the tv ratings and attendance serves as a reminder. For a program as prestigious as Penn State, the goal should always be a national title run or bust.
Don't state truth. We are only top 7 in all time wins. Going to Cotton bowl is now ceiling for program. Why should we ever exceed expectations under Franklin? Next year, it will be 'what did you expect (losing to OSU and UM) with new QB and soph RBs?. We are young afterall'..meanwhile UM,MSU, ND, UW, CINCY, FSU, OREGON have all made 1 appearance. TN might this year.

Last edited:
I think it was, relative to pre-season expectations, a good year.

I also think that Michigan and OSU might have separated themselves from PSU (who has pretty much separated themselves from MSU and Iowa).

Those who think it is OK that it is starting to look like:

OSU/Michigan
PSU
MSU/Iowa
Everyone else

Are OK with it.

I just want us to be with OSU/Michigan. Can't beat them every year, just don't want to be second fiddle.
This--until we're on the level of Michigan/Ohio State we shouldn't be "happy" with how the season played out. The goal hasn't been achieved.

Reactions: MacNit07
The Vegas over under was 8.5 wins out of 12 for this season. Anything over that amount is exceeding expectations. Most fans go into new seasons optimistic, so 9 or 10 wins was probably the most popular prediction.

The Vegas over under was 8.5 wins out of 12 for this season. Anything over that amount is exceeding expectations. Most fans go into new seasons optimistic, so 9 or 10 wins was probably the most popular prediction.
Vegas doesn't set the expectations. Vegas is about how to split money nationally and your win total will always be low because people don't respect Franklin not because of our talent.

Reactions: manilion
Vegas doesn't set the expectations. Vegas is about how to split money nationally and your win total will always be low because people don't respect Franklin not because of our talent.

If your win total is always going to be low, you should bet the house every year on the over. Considering the vig, you will win about 48% of the time.

Why do you say OSU/Michigan is 1 tier? Michigan has 1 win over OSU in 10 years (2 in 20) and now they're equals? Auburn beats Alabama more often than that. PSU recruits equal to or slightly better than UM so no reason for PSU to be losing to UM on a consistent basis.

So every season since 94 has been a bust….damn, I wish I had known that so I could have saved a lot of time.

It amazing how many supposedly die hard football fans think these ten wins represent anything special. 10 wins against garbage competition. If half these teams had a pulse a Franklin led PennState would have at least 5 loses.
LOL at garbage competition.

Have you seen the ACC?

Have you seen the ACC?

Or the B12? B12's flagship program, OU, began the season ranked in T10 and rose as high as 5th before completely shitting the bed (currently 5-3 and unranked). Texas also rose into T10 before showing us precisely who they are (also 5-3).

Reactions: gptakba and PSU2UNC

Have you seen the ACC?
Several ACC teams would only lose to OSU and UM. Much better conference lately then the Big 10. Your speaking out your Axx by saying anything different. Clemson, UNC, Wake, NC state, Cuse, possibly duke. We are not even mentioning FSU and UM that are better then to big west. Bottom dwellers in the ACC are better then bottom Big with Pitt, Louie, and GT.

• Haha
Reactions: john4psu
Several ACC teams would only lose to OSU and UM. Much better conference lately then the Big 10. Your speaking out your Axx by saying anything different. Clemson, UNC, Wake, NC state, Cuse, possibly duke. We are not even mentioning FSU and UM that are better then to big west. Bottom dwellers in the ACC are better then bottom Big with Pitt, Louie, and GT.
Several? Several means three.

Clemson would lose to OSU and UM and have a 50-50 shot at beating PSU.
UNC (I am UNC alum and fan) loses four or five games (no defense).

Who else? Wake?? (nah) Pitt?? LMFAO.

I would wager I watch way more ACC football than you do.

Anybody out there that speaks moron and can translate this for me?

• Haha
Reactions: mcpat

Funny. Only a moron would think Franklin is a good coach.

He’s trying to say the ACC is a better football conference than the Big Ten.

In actuality, the ACC has the 3rd most players in the NFL right now, but the Big Ten has 24% more.

Lol. Take off the Big Glasses and you would see the ACC is better team by team then the Big10. Franklin should be glad he avoids Illinois this year. His best win this season is against garbage 5 win Purdue whose best win is Maryland.

• Haha
Reactions: john4psu
Going 10-2 every year in the nation’s 2nd best conference makes you a top 10, maybe top 6-8 program. I’ll love it if that is achieved every year. I’ll wish for the occasional 11-1 and 12-0, but 10-2 is a lot more fun than 7-5 or 8-4.

JoePa won a heck of alot of games in the 70s playing no one. I’m sorry, but beating Big Ten also-rans is a lot tougher than alot of those independent schedules we had pre Big Ten.

Curious why you post. Just to spew negativity? Is that fun?

This moron is clearly an ASWPer posing-troll -- what does it tell you about a supposed-adult who falsely claims he's a PSU fan on a PSU-dedicated board for the purpose of spewing his moronic bullshit?

• Love
Reactions: Westcoast24
Going 10-2 every year in the nation’s 2nd best conference makes you a top 10, maybe top 6-8 program. I’ll love it if that is achieved every year. I’ll wish for the occasional 11-1 and 12-0, but 10-2 is a lot more fun than 7-5 or 8-4.

JoePa won a heck of alot of games in the 70s playing no one. I’m sorry, but beating Big Ten also-rans is a lot tougher than alot of those independent schedules we had pre Big Ten.
Unfortunately the second best conference is closer to the third then the first.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT