ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Acquisitions

steelhead52

Oct 18, 2012
You win some, you lose some, but overall I think the staff did an amazing job of recruiting and filling holes through the portal this year. Obviously AK, but many of these kids have filled important spots either starting or supplying depth. I'm excited to see more of Lovett especially on the outside zone reads. I wish we could have gotten some QB depth through the portal but we all knew that was unlikely. But overall I continue to be impressed with this staff's ability to identify talent and how they made the portal work for us this year.

I also think the defensive tackle who transferred to Florida was good thing for team chemistry
Antonio Shelton. I didn’t see he play one down for FL. Maybe he’s hurt, pr riding the pines. I think we won the portal-shuffle this year

Reactions: TheGLOV
I'm trying to understand the class standing of some players on our roster. (Lovett?)

What does SR+ mean? Is this Lovett's last year of eligibility?

You win some, you lose some, but overall I think the staff did an amazing job of recruiting and filling holes through the portal this year. Obviously AK, but many of these kids have filled important spots either starting or supplying depth. I'm excited to see more of Lovett especially on the outside zone reads. I wish we could have gotten some QB depth through the portal but we all knew that was unlikely. But overall I continue to be impressed with this staff's ability to identify talent and how they made the portal work for us this year.
Let's hope for lots of PT for Roberson vs Villanova. Not just 4th qtr handoffs.

Let's hope for lots of PT for Roberson vs Villanova. Not just 4th qtr handoffs.
In fact, I hope to see only a quarter or two of playing tine for all the starters and get some good practice time for the backups.

Antonio Shelton. I didn’t see he play one down for FL. Maybe he’s hurt, pr riding the pines. I think we won the portal-shuffle this year
He played alot. He changed his last name to Victorino and still wears #55, even @ UF. Why the change of last name, not sure?

Lovett in very limited time looks like potentially our best HR threat. Not sure if he is back 100% after camp injury. Phil mentioned on his show that Lovett had been "dinged up" in camp. He may become an important cog on this team.

AK and Tangelo have been very good pickups.

Not getting a QB to plug the loss of Levis kind of hurt. With Levis on the bench there was at least an understanding that there was a QB who could come in and perform. Now we cannot really run the QB much, so the OFF changes, and the DEF knows it. Our current backup QBs are unknowns, and the DEF knows we cannot depend on them.

Lovett in very limited time looks like potentially our best HR threat. Not sure if he is back 100% after camp injury. Phil mentioned on his show that Lovett had been "dinged up" in camp. He may become an important cog on this team.

AK and Tangelo have been very good pickups.

Not getting a QB to plug the loss of Levis kind of hurt. With Levis on the bench there was at least an understanding that there was a QB who could come in and perform. Now we cannot really run the QB much, so the OFF changes, and the DEF knows it. Our current backup QBs are unknowns, and the DEF knows we cannot depend on them.
Personally, I’m happier with us not running the QB much.

He played alot. He changed his last name to Victorino and still wears #55, even @ UF. Why the change of last name, not sure?

Antonio would have provided extra depth at DT with a ton of starting experience had he stayed, but we likely
don't take Tangelo without his departure. Tangelo has quietly played better and zero outside issues.

+2 to me

Personally, I’m happier with us not running the QB much.
One of the issues Texas has had recently is an over reliance on running their plucky QBs a lot (e.g. Sam Ehlinger) rather than feeding their 4-5 star true running backs. Running against Bastrop, Hutto and San Marcos High Schools is a little easier than running against OU.

Sometimes they act like it’s still 1969 when their heroes were dudes with names like Cotton Speyer

Reactions: TheGLOV and CVLion
One of the issues Texas has had recently is an over reliance on running their plucky QBs a lot (e.g. Sam Ehlinger) rather than feeding their 4-5 star true running backs. Running against Bastrop, Hutto and San Marcos High Schools is a little easier than running against OU.

Sometimes they act like it’s still 1969 when their heroes were dudes with names like Cotton Speyer
Or Happy Feller!

It was #54 Tangelo that had a potentially game saving tackle well downfield along the sideline in the 4th quarter; I believe it was the same play that the Auburn runner hurdled the attempted tackle of Porter Jr.

In fact, I hope to see only a quarter or two of playing tine for all the starters and get some good practice time for the backups.
Me too but I doubt it. Most blowouts have the starters play the first series of the second half.

It was #54 Tangelo that had a potentially game saving tackle well downfield along the sideline in the 4th quarter; I believe it was the same play that the Auburn runner hurdled the attempted tackle of Porter Jr.
It was, I was impressed with his hustle, a DT running down the play from behind. Brisker probably would’ve kept him out of the end zone but Tangelo definitely saved some yardage. Really impressive. He also showed good motor on his fumble recovery in the 3rd.

Reactions: Shadow99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT