• down 5 - 9.9%

Votes: 44 21.5%
  • down 10 - 15%

Votes: 16 7.8%
  • down >15%

Votes: 10 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Was in pretty decent shape at about 215, doing 20-25 mile bike rides every day or a 8-10 mile jog. May 13, was riding a bike trail and was going around a teenager walking in my direction. yelled "on your left" as I was approaching, but he didn't hear me with his earbuds. As I was going around, it startled him and he jumped left, and I swerved right and down I went. My right foot didn't come unclipped from the pedal and that was all she wrote. Spiral fracture of the fibula and broken tibia. Had to ride home the last 5 miles on one leg. ER was empty so was in and out in under an hour. 10 days later surgery (had to do the COVID test and got results back in 2 hours). Metal strap and 9 screws on the fibula. Screw on the tibia, and a lateral across to hold it all together.

Knew that I couldn't continue my standard eating habits, so gave up refined sugar and wheat. Took about a week to get over the hunger pains. Breakfast is yogurt with fruit and honey. Lunch is a big salad. Dinner is standard stuff but no refined sugar or bread. Now at 181 lbs and 8.1% body fat. I cheat with small portions of bread 1-2 times a week. Was released from Orthopedic Surgeon 8 weeks after surgery. Will go back middle of September to get the lateral screw removed because it limits my right foot flexing a small bit

Had physical 2 weeks ago ago and totally off blood pressure and triglyceride medicine. Down to a baby aspirin a day only

Been on a Wahoo bike trainer since June 20 and using Zwift app. Lots of fun. Been putting in 250 miles a week in now and it was great rehab (started riding 4 weeks after surgery). Feel great. Going to take it to 175 and hold there.

Hope all is OK with your bike accident and you are all mended. I love riding outside, but with traffic the way it is in Austin, and even with huge shoulders on the road, you have to have your head on a swivel all time.
Man er experience sounds like mine except no surgery. Got needlessly hit by a pecker for a displaced fracture of ulna. He came back the other direction and flipped me the bird.
Out of the splint and going to test it on some short rides next week. Had been doing about 150/week on the road with 100 per weekend. Disappointing. Was down to 173.

Reactions: CentexLion
Was in pretty decent shape at about 215, doing 20-25 mile bike rides every day or a 8-10 mile jog. May 13, was riding a bike trail and was going around a teenager walking in my direction. yelled "on your left" as I was approaching, but he didn't hear me with his earbuds. As I was going around, it startled him and he jumped left, and I swerved right and down I went. My right foot didn't come unclipped from the pedal and that was all she wrote. Spiral fracture of the fibula and broken tibia. Had to ride home the last 5 miles on one leg. ER was empty so was in and out in under an hour. 10 days later surgery (had to do the COVID test and got results back in 2 hours). Metal strap and 9 screws on the fibula. Screw on the tibia, and a lateral across to hold it all together.

Knew that I couldn't continue my standard eating habits, so gave up refined sugar and wheat. Took about a week to get over the hunger pains. Breakfast is yogurt with fruit and honey. Lunch is a big salad. Dinner is standard stuff but no refined sugar or bread. Now at 181 lbs and 8.1% body fat. I cheat with small portions of bread 1-2 times a week. Was released from Orthopedic Surgeon 8 weeks after surgery. Will go back middle of September to get the lateral screw removed because it limits my right foot flexing a small bit

Had physical 2 weeks ago ago and totally off blood pressure and triglyceride medicine. Down to a baby aspirin a day only

Been on a Wahoo bike trainer since June 20 and using Zwift app. Lots of fun. Been putting in 250 miles a week in now and it was great rehab (started riding 4 weeks after surgery). Feel great. Going to take it to 175 and hold there.

Hope all is OK with your bike accident and you are all mended. I love riding outside, but with traffic the way it is in Austin, and even with huge shoulders on the road, you have to have your head on a swivel all time.
Fortuitously Santa treated me to a wahoo KICKR for Christmas. I too ride nearly every day. Currently in a 25 mile per day mode.
I love The New France routes only Zwift. I’ve droppWe about 15 pounds. I love riding.

This is confusing. We can’t go out due to the PANDEMIC. :eek: , so we just sit around and eat and become fatter asses. But if we can’t go out due to the PANDEMIC. :eek: , we can’t buy food, so we don’t eat and we become lesser fat asses. I doubt everyone has stocks for months on end, and how often can you really Doordash?

So which is it? Gorging or starving?

Within 5% of pre Covid. Actually down a few pounds. But I think it’s due mostly to muscle loss as I am not lifting just doing some walking and some swimming. Just picked up a bicycle.so more cardio.

Been doing low carb cooking for a while so that.helps
What type a bike did you pick up?

I too lost about 40 pounds during chemo (colon cancer), which ended for me in the middle of May. In addition to not feeling much like eating, I found that food just doesn't taste right (or at all) when you're going through it. Since then though, I've started to gain it back - not quite where I was but on my way there!

Good luck to you!
Very sorry to hear what you and Chandler are going through. My Ultimate respect.
Thomas

Man er experience sounds like mine except no surgery. Got needlessly hit by a pecker for a displaced fracture of ulna. He came back the other direction and flipped me the bird.
Out of the splint and going to test it on some short rides next week. Had been doing about 150/week on the road with 100 per weekend. Disappointing. Was down to 173.
Hope you return to normal. Broken foot was probably the best thing that could have happened to me. I was riding and running a lot, but my eating habits were not the best. Not terrible, but needed attention and discipline. When you are young, you easily exercise the calories off with a high metabolism. But once you hit 40, weight loss is 25% exercise and 75% eating habit (not diet). I'm back above prior on my VO2Max, and the little I ride outside now, those extra 34 pounds are a blessing that they are gone, especially for the hills. Pick up two 20 lb dumbbells, and that is want I'll have lost. Crazy to think the punishment that extra weight does to the body.

Good luck to you. I got a pretty quick temper around idiots, which is a bad thing when you are on a bike and the other guy is in a car. I actually try to obey all traffic/stop signs (maybe a slow roll through when nobody is around). Don't ride on sidewalks. But there have been a couple times when I confronted the car at a traffic light when I could. Once, their kid threw a slushie out at me and hit me. She had to stop at a traffic light and I got in front of her with my hand held bike pump and wailed on the hood telling her that the kids could have killed me. Adrenaline and no brains on my part.

Reactions: LionJim
Fortuitously Santa treated me to a wahoo KICKR for Christmas. I too ride nearly every day. Currently in a 25 mile per day mode.
I love The New France routes only Zwift. I’ve droppWe about 15 pounds. I love riding.
Wife got me a KICKR Core for my birthday, but I couldn't use it right away. 4 weeks after surgery, started soft peddling on it (sneaker on repaired foot with no shoelaces) and really built up range of motion. I really think it quickened my recover. No PT was schedule by the doc because all was better than prior.

I've been addicted to Zwift with the KICKR. I got 258.1 miles this week with tomorrow to go. Did Ventoux twice (13 miles and 5033 foot climb). Brutal. I have 6 Watovia courses to complete (Did the Alpe de Zwift 2X as well). Tomorrow will do the Pretzel (45.1 miles at 4000 feet) and Monday will do the Three Sisters ride (29.8 miles and 3000 feet as the 4th leg of the MAAP Ride series). I also did the three Specialized series (my road bike is a Specialized Allez M2 Sport which I love). Problem is that I start these group rides, and they turn into races and I just can't sit there. Hurts for the 1-2 hours, but feels great later.

Best thing I did was mount a Lasko fan right in front of me. I was dripping sweat like never before with the fan behind me, but this helps a lot. Biggest issue is that I'm doing 2-3X the laundry now.

Ride On friend. This is a great way to exercise, as you are actually riding your avatar in the on screen video against everyone else. So cool

Reactions: AvgUser
Well I'm retired, thus walk 2 miles at least 4X/week and lift every 4 days, so no change. This despite two egg Mcmuffs for $2. My wife does eat one of them. I keep forgetting to give them the coupon. The drive thru so busy they don't even notice!

Neat-o side effect of covid... my "wounds" heal very slowly. Throughout my life, cuts, punctures, surgical incisions etc all healed rapidly. First 2 encoutners with those things since covid have not gone so well. Read last night that wounds can heal more slowly after covid. Apparently so.

The gift that keeps giving :confused:

Wife got me a KICKR Core for my birthday, but I couldn't use it right away. 4 weeks after surgery, started soft peddling on it (sneaker on repaired foot with no shoelaces) and really built up range of motion. I really think it quickened my recover. No PT was schedule by the doc because all was better than prior.

I've been addicted to Zwift with the KICKR. I got 258.1 miles this week with tomorrow to go. Did Ventoux twice (13 miles and 5033 foot climb). Brutal. I have 6 Watovia courses to complete (Did the Alpe de Zwift 2X as well). Tomorrow will do the Pretzel (45.1 miles at 4000 feet) and Monday will do the Three Sisters ride (29.8 miles and 3000 feet as the 4th leg of the MAAP Ride series). I also did the three Specialized series (my road bike is a Specialized Allez M2 Sport which I love). Problem is that I start these group rides, and they turn into races and I just can't sit there. Hurts for the 1-2 hours, but feels great later.

Best thing I did was mount a Lasko fan right in front of me. I was dripping sweat like never before with the fan behind me, but this helps a lot. Biggest issue is that I'm doing 2-3X the laundry now.

Ride On friend. This is a great way to exercise, as you are actually riding your avatar in the on screen video against everyone else. So cool
Wow. 250 a week. I wish I could get there.
You are a madman. I have not tried any of the lonnnnnnggggg climbs. I like when Innsbruck shows up. That’s long and steep enough but it feels good when you reach the top. I did the Watopia climb (2600 ft-ish; Muir and the mountain). That was my hardest. I keep trying to psych myself to try something harder. Have fun. Ride on

I lost 10 lbs from jan-mar, but gained it all back in quarantine stuck next to the fridge 24x7. So technically i gained 10 during the pandemic but overall it's a wash.

Just switched up the calorie intake last week, starting the process all over again. Want to get from 225 to 205 and maintain, it's doable.

Reactions: psuro
Down about 8-10 pounds since March, but in much better shape. I’ve been doing boot camp type workouts at home 5 days a week (burpees, squat jumps, push ups, planks etc.) and have been supplementing that with kettlebell and light dumbbell world. I can see my abs for the first time in years.

Down about 8-10 pounds since March, but in much better shape. I’ve been doing boot camp type workouts at home 5 days a week (burpees, squat jumps, push ups, planks etc.) and have been supplementing that with kettlebell and light dumbbell world. I can see my abs for the first time in years.
I never had a 6 pack even when I was sub-6 body fat. That structure just doesn’t exist in my DNA.

ADVERTISEMENT