ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Would a visor need to be taken off your head for the national anthem?

Would a visor need to be removed for the national anthem?

• Yes

Votes: 154 96.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 3.1%

• Total voters
faux patriotism has been in vogue since 2001, it's time for a new fad

let's stop playing the anthem at sporting events where half the fans are drunk anyway
That ship has sailed. I'm agnostic on it, but one should recognize that, political opportunism being what it is, trying to change this would result in just another distraction from more pressing problems. It can be amusing, though, in this age of instant video, to see that some of the more militant voices on this issue actually don't know the God damn words.

That ship has sailed. I'm agnostic on it, but one should recognize that, political opportunism being what it is, trying to change this would result in just another distraction from more pressing problems. It can be amusing, though, in this age of instant video, to see that some of the more militant voices on this issue actually don't know the God damn words.
or have ever left the country except on vacation

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Before yesterday’s national anthem when we were asked to stand and gentlemen please remove your hats the young man next to me was wearing a visor and did take it off and I was glad to see that.

I wondered though, would a visor be exempt from that? It’s not covering your head.
This is not a matter where lawyers distinctions are worth a damn.

Wait - but women don't remove their hats or visors, do they? I have been to plenty of sporting events where everyone stands, men take off their hats/visors, etc but not women. They keep theirs on.

Wasn't it some sort of huge faux-paus for a woman to be seen outside of the home without a hat on, or some sort of head covering, basically going out and presenting herself as a trollop to the public and bringing great shame upon her family?

Also, when the tradition of playing the anthem at sports started, womens head-wear as a complicated matter with multiple pins and clips used to keep the hat attached to her hair, so it would be not really feasible for her to remove her hat when out in public, and then put it back on again.

Funny, I was just having this conversation with my daughter a month ago. She plays for her high school softball team and I told her to start taking her visor off for the anthem. I guess she is right, they typically don't ask women to take their hats/visors off. Damn, I hate when kids are right.

Unless the visor is part of an official uniform it should be removed. I know my Son is instructed to keep his scout hat on when he is in full uniform and he salutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT