ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Would a visor need to be taken off your head for the national anthem?

Would a visor need to be removed for the national anthem?

• Yes

Votes: 154 96.9%
  • No

Votes: 5 3.1%

• Total voters

john4psu

Sep 7, 2003
Before yesterday’s national anthem when we were asked to stand and gentlemen please remove your hats the young man next to me was wearing a visor and did take it off and I was glad to see that.

I wondered though, would a visor be exempt from that? It’s not covering your head.

Before yesterday’s national anthem when we were asked to stand and gentlemen please remove your hats the young man next to me was wearing a visor and did take it off and I was glad to see that.

I wondered though, would a visor be exempt from that? It’s not covering your head.

Any headgear should be removed IMO.

...at the Phillies game they asked men to remove their hats and then asked veterans to salute...
...that's a mistake...
...if you have a hat (lid) on outside you do not remove it (uncover) and then salute... you leave it on and salute...
...or you remove your hat and hold it over your heart...

...at the Phillies game they asked men to remove their hats and then asked veterans to salute...
...that's a mistake...
...if you have a hat (lid) on outside you do not remove it (uncover) and then salute... you leave it on and salute...
...or you remove your hat and hold it over your heart...

Not necessarily - you're not required to have a cover on to salute. And when it comes to vets at sporting events, there aren't any hard and fast rules (or any AM's that govern veteran behavior at civilian events) save a law passed in 2009 (see below) that 'authorizes' vets the right to render a hand salute to both the raising, lowering, or passing of the flag as well as the playing of the national anthem. It would only be appropriate to keep head gear on if what you're wearing is considered 'organizational head gear' for your respective veteran group. The hat is a bit of a grey area IMO - but I wouldn't salute if wearing a Phillies hat or something; I would remove and then salute.

SEC. 595. MILITARY SALUTE FOR THE FLAG DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM BY MEMBERS OF THE ARMED FORCES NOT IN UNIFORM AND BY VETERANS.

Section 301(b)(1) of title 36, United States Code, is amended by striking subparagraphs (A) through (C) and inserting the following new subparagraphs: ``(A) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; ``(B) members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute in the manner provided for individuals in uniform; and ``(C) all other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, and men not in uniform, if applicable, should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart;

Note: Part (C) applies to those not in the military and non-veterans. The phrase "men not in uniform" refers to civil service uniforms like police, fire fighters, and letter carriers - non-veteran civil servants who might normally render a salute while in uniform.

Not necessarily - you're not required to have a cover on to salute

I used to run baseball tournaments for OH HS. The announcement given to me by a Veteran in charge of his local American Legion was....
Please stand, gentlemen remove your hats, Veterans you may salute coveted or uncovered, and join in singing as we play our National Anthem.
Then we played the Gaithers singing at the Lincoln Center. Awesome version.

OL

Visor off. Yes. I think “young man” was all I needed to see. Total lack of respect for anything. A shame.

I was going to post a picture of Morgana “the Kissing Bandit” wearing a visor and asking if you would ask her to remove her....”visor”.

I decided not to since it turns out she’s a fan of .......Ohio State. :mad:

I would say yes, but I would add an editorial comment that I object to their being a guidance for us to placing our hands over our hearts. Micromanaging respect is not what we are paying those bozos in DC to do.
I agree, but it is a representative government, and plenty of folks just in this thread are VERY concerned about some flag rules (standing). Some folks overlook other violations (flag displayed or carried horizontally) occurring in the same time and place.

Their bossiness about these rules is a form of virtue signalling. For some flag rules sticklers, virtue signalling is a bad thing when done by those with whom they disagree. Same with political correctness.

Last edited:

I mean... the visor should be removed, yes. And then thrown into the trash.

LdN

Reactions: 91Joe95

Yes. You remove it. Shows respect.

Reactions: psu00
Let’s just go to the king of the visors to see the protocol- ;)

sep-2001-florida-head-coach-steve-spurrier-during-the-national-anthem-picture-id527465

Wait - but women don't remove their hats or visors, do they? I have been to plenty of sporting events where everyone stands, men take off their hats/visors, etc but not women. They keep theirs on.

Also, in the colder months/games, when a lot of people are wearing knit caps for warmth, I don't see people taking them off during the National Anthem.

Wait - but women don't remove their hats or visors, do they? I have been to plenty of sporting events where everyone stands, men take off their hats/visors, etc but not women. They keep theirs on.

Also, in the colder months/games, when a lot of people are wearing knit caps for warmth, I don't see people taking them off during the National Anthem.
The important thing, when engaged in virtue signalling activities, is not the logic, nor the actual adherence to the actual rules as written, but the volume of your complaints about those who have not technically complied. That is, except for horizontal displays of the flag. That is always ok, even though the rules forbid it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

People should remove their tops in reverence whenever the anthem is played*

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq

Relieved to know this guy, by removing his visor, allowed you to enjoy the playing of the Anthem...

The important thing, when engaged in virtue signalling activities is not the logic, nor the actual adherence to the actual rules as written, but the volume of your complaints about those who have not technically complied. That is, except for horizontal displays of the flag. That is always ok, even though the rules forbid it. :rolleyes:

Flags aren't supposed to go on sports uniforms either, but you know, whatever.

Reactions: demlion
Just to be safe, the entire head should be removed.

That's just the start, for any true 'Murican. I punch a hole straight through my ribs and place my hand directly on my beating heart. Ain't nobody gonna be more reverent than me.

And, of course, at the conclusion of the best song ever created, I start the "USA USA USA" "Commies suck" and "Hiro-shima dun dun dun-dun-dun Naga-saki dun dun dun-dun-dun" chants.

Last edited:
Why does it show respect? Not trolling, and agree that the hat should be removed by all 37 genders out there, but honest question here - at what point in history did removing your hat become a sign of respect?
I would imagine it's the same reason people who attend Christian houses of worship remove their hats when entering church?

Why does it show respect? Not trolling, and agree that the hat should be removed by all 37 genders out there, but honest question here - at what point in history did removing your hat become a sign of respect?

Why does it show respect? Because I said so, that's why! Honestly, that's the only reason at this point.

Once upon a time knights would flip up their visors to show their face, and use their right hand to do so - this was typically their weapon hand, so showing their face and using their weapon hand was a sign of peace and/or submission. Our military decided to keep head coverings on and salute, instead.

But now it's just some silly thing that we decided will be, because it will be. We could decide tomorrow that doing the chicken dance was respectful, and removing your hat was the most disrespectful thing you could do, and it would have just as much validity as removing your hat to show respect.

Note that women don't have to remove their hats ... and even in church, they don't have to ... in fact, some argue that women should be required to wear a hat to church.

It's all a bunch of ritualistic nonsense.

ADVERTISEMENT