ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Who will be starting for PSU at 157 at NCAA Tournament time next season?

Who will be starting for PSU at 157 at NCAA Tournament time next season?

• Levi Haines

Votes: 103 67.3%
  • Terrell Barraclough

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Tony Negron

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • Transfer yet to be determined

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Joe Lee

Votes: 16 10.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters

NittanyChris

Dec 3, 2001
We all know whoever is starting in December may likely not be starting at NCAA Tournament time. So who do you think it will be?
I'll start...I think Cael's preference would be to redshirt Levi, but barring any incoming transfers, if the kid wants to go, he won't be able to keep him off the mat.

Barraclough was right there by dual season with some AA's (Lewan, Robb) Obviously that only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades but definitely not going to sell him short.

That being said, Levi looked very good in his greyshirting year.

Reactions: NittanyChris
True freshmen starting at PSU have worked out well, but red-shirting on the average has worked out better. Mark Hall is an extraordinary talent and his true freshman NC wasn't a fluke ... I'm just a believer that it takes a year not just for the wrestling part, but the academic and social aspects of college life too. If needed to win in the eyes of the coaches, then it changes everything.

I’m guessing that the coaches would prefer that Levi stack bodies like Carter did during his RS campaign.

I think it will depend on RBY coming back or not, and results at 125, 141, 149 and 165 early on. If Facundo makes hay and we look good at one or two other of those weights, Haines stays in RS, I think.

Just an FYI. Of course we know that Wrestlestat rankings can be silly, but it's still a starting point. This is the top 12 at 157 for next season. Remember Levi easily handled #12 Cerniglia. Looking at this list, I like his chances to finish top 5 as a true Freshman.
1. David Carr
2. Austin O'Connor
3. Peyton Robb
4. Jacori Teemer
5. Quincy Monday
6. Josh Humphreys
7. Ed Scott
8. Will Lewan
9. Jared Franek
10. Hunter Willits
11. Brayton Lee
12. Andrew Cerniglia

Last edited:
Reactions: Zukovski
True freshmen starting at PSU have worked out well, but red-shirting on the average has worked out better. Mark Hall is an extraordinary talent and his true freshman NC wasn't a fluke ... I'm just a believer that it takes a year not just for the wrestling part, but the academic and social aspects of college life too. If needed to win in the eyes of the coaches, then it changes everything.

Correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't Levi been in the room already?

If so, his path would closer resemble Nick Lee's rather than that of the average true Fr.

Reactions: nitlion6
Just an FYI. Of course we know that Wrestlestat rankings can be silly, but it's still a starting point. This is the top 12 at 157 for next season. Remember Levi easily handled #12 Cerniglia. Looking at this list, I like his chances to finish top 5 as a true Freshman.
1. David Carr
2. Austin O'Connor
3. Peyton Robb
4. Jacori Teemer
5. Quincy Monday
6. Josh Humphreys
7. Ed Scott
8. Will Lewan
9. Jared Franek
10. Hunter Willits
11. Brayton Lee
12. Andrew Cerniglia
I don't. It's possible but a lot would have to go right for him. And I think a ton of Levi.

Brayton Lee, 6th at 2021 nationals, at 11 is laughable. He's 3rd in that list after the 2 returning champs. That means Levi would need to pull an upset to finish top 3 at B10s -- so he's probably looking at an NCAA Round 2 matchup vs Carr or O'Connor, or maybe Lee or Robb.

BTW, Cerniglia went 0-2 at nationals, losing in consis to the 31 seed. He no longer bolsters Levi's case.

Correct me if I'm wrong, hasn't Levi been in the room already?

If so, his path would closer resemble Nick Lee's rather than that of the average true Fr.
He can practice with the NLWC, as he has, as he meets the criteria. When it's just the PSU guys, he's not there.

To me, it's about the process. Every wrestler is different, so saying he's on someone else's "path" has always sounded strange to me. I believe that his unique path is up to him. The coaches will provide the environment and the opportunity, which is huge, but a good bit will fall on young Haines. I'm a patient sort, so whenever the coaches and Haines decide he's ready, that's a-ok with me. It's not always about today, sometimes it is about tomorrow (5 years to wrestle 4, except for the COVID exception), if that makes sense.

He can practice with the NLWC, as he has, as he meets the criteria. When it's just the PSU guys, he's not there.

To me, it's about the process. Every wrestler is different, so saying he's on someone else's "path" has always sounded strange to me. I believe that his unique path is up to him. The coaches will provide the environment and the opportunity, which is huge, but a good bit will fall on young Haines. I'm a patient sort, so whenever the coaches and Haines decide he's ready, that's a-ok with me. It's not always about today, sometimes it is about tomorrow (5 years to wrestle 4, except for the COVID exception), if that makes sense.
When he isn't in Lorenzo it isn't uncommon to find him going at it in groups at M2.

1. David Carr
2. Austin O'Connor
3. Peyton Robb
4. Jacori Teemer
5. Quincy Monday
6. Josh Humphreys
7. Ed Scott
8. Will Lewan
9. Jared Franek
10. Hunter Willits
11. Brayton Lee
12. Andrew Cerniglia
Lookout for Peyton Robb. Frankly I think he's gonna win it all next season if he stays healthy.

I think I read here he’s young for his grade. May only be 17 when he graduates.
Yeah, from the York Daily Record

Many collegiate wrestlers redshirt at some point in their careers, and Haines said that's a possibility for him since he's young for his grade. He's still 16 and will graduate high school at 17.

I know this won't make me a popular person on this board, but you can be very condescending at times.

I can be patient too and your words "whenever the coaches and Haines decide he's ready, that's a-ok with me" could just as easily come from my mouth.

In my post, I was simply 'trying' to point out that Haines' situation is more similar to Lee's than it is to Mark Hall or other true Fr who have come into the program. Of course, whether or not he continues on Nick Lee's 'path' will be up to him and the coaches ... I didn't intend to hint that he was locked in.

But, you are closer to the program and know better than me. In the future, I will choose my words more carefully so as not to say anything that might sound 'strange' to you.

Last edited:
I know this won't make me a popular person on this board, but you can be very condescending at times.

I can be patient too and your words "whenever the coaches and Haines decide he's ready, that's a-ok with me" could just as easily come from my mouth.

In my post, I was simply 'trying' to point out that Haines' situation is more similar to Lee's than it is to Mark Hall or other true Fr who have come into the program. Of course, whether or not he continues on Nick Lee's 'path' will be up to him and the coaches ... I didn't intend to hint that he was locked in.

But, you are closer to the program and know better than me. In the future, I will choose my words more carefully so as not to say anything that might sound 'strange' to you.
Jack66: Don't let it bother you. RL1 likes to let people know from time to time what they should be thinking. If you deviate in any way from his way of thinking, he will show you the error of your ways by being condescending toward you or your thoughts. He may even start to accuse you of trying to drag this forum into Cesspool ll territory. One tip though, if you respond to one of his poison pen letters more than once, he will stalk you around this board and try to engage you in a monumental pissing contest. There was not a damn thing wrong with your question and thought. Roar just wants to spin some of his folksy wisdom for you. Don't let this deter you from posting further musings as you see fit.

Reactions: Rick Sanchez
One thing I hate about wrestling is redshirting the best guy. It’s horrible. Having said that I don’t think Haines wrestles simply because Cael doesn’t need him to in order to win another title. If that changes for whatever reason then he probably wrestles.
Plus it helps space him and Facundo out a year.

can be very condescending at times

Don't let it bother you.
Honestly, I believe I've felt similarly on occasion.

When I do I take time to think to myself whether I truly believe a poster intended to condescend or maybe could just benefit from increased self-awareness.

This little time of reflection usually leads me to question my self-awareness as to why I might perceive condescension directed at me and more importantly why it might bother me.

Shortly thereafter any bother is gone.

Sorry if this comes across condescending 😉.

Last edited:
Assuming Levi's the best in the room at 157lb, I think whether Levi wrestles in March depends primarily on the combination of three factors:

1) whether the coaching staff thinks there is a pretty good chance that the team needs the extra points they'd expect from Levi to win the national championship

2) whether Levi wants to finish college in 4 years

3) whether Levi has and values a personal goal of winning 4 individual national championships and the coaches and Levi are aligned that a RS year materially improves the chance he'll reach that goal.

If I just guess to myself what the answers might be, my head tells me we won't see Levi this year. But I voted with my heart, so there's that.

A difference between Nick Lee and Levi's trajectory could lie in factor 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: creamery freak

My apologies. Honestly.

The interesting question here is Joe Lee. If they don’t get a transfer at 157 and they want to shirt Levi, can Joe Lee make the necessary growth to become a factor? We know the kid is talented. I could be wrong, but it seemed the biggest improvement he needed to make was mentally. Can he get there?

The interesting question here is Joe Lee. If they don’t get a transfer at 157 and they want to shirt Levi, can Joe Lee make the necessary growth to become a factor? We know the kid is talented. I could be wrong, but it seemed the biggest improvement he needed to make was mentally. Can he get there?
Why not? I think a cursory check on The Tanks freshman record vs his senior record shows that under the greatest coach in the sport, that kind of development is possible. But it starts next year when the rubber meets the road: first step is the Mean Dean Heil school of just getting your Hand raised, then the sky is the limit after that

I feel the cut to 157 was very tough for Joe. Barraclough will go early at 157 IMO. Maybe if Joe and Matt don’t want to butt heads then Joe will go down but he struggled at 157 last year.

Maybe Nick Lee could man 149?

What you think Hoosier?
giphy.gif

Thanks, and I think I overreacted a bit.
I'm betting this never happens on hr I'm happy I'm part of a board where civility and rational thinking rules the day. At least for the most part. I think a board should be judged on how often the word troll is used in an average thread. There should be a trophy for that. Nobody would ever beat Iowa lmfao.

1. David Carr
2. Austin O'Connor
3. Peyton Robb
4. Jacori Teemer
5. Quincy Monday
6. Josh Humphreys
7. Ed Scott
8. Will Lewan
9. Jared Franek
10. Hunter Willits
11. Brayton Lee
12. Andrew Cerniglia
you acknowledge that wrestlestat rankings don't really work, but used them anyway? wouldn't happen to be because cerniglia is ranked way higher there than in flo's would it? he's ranked 19th by flo and went 0-2 at ncaa's.

just busting your chops a bit lol i'm high on haines.

you acknowledge that wrestlestat rankings don't really work, but used them anyway? wouldn't happen to be because cerniglia is ranked way higher there than in flo's would it? he's ranked 19th by flo and went 0-2 at ncaa's.

👀

I would feel pretty good about using Haines as a true freshman. I do think his results as a high school senior is very encouraging (he did well on the mats and didn't lose to any college kids, not much you can ask for) but obviously there's a long way to go before declaring him ready to score at NCAAs, that obviously is contingent on him continuing to progress at his rapid rate.

There's always a true freshman or two ready to make noise at NCAAs. This year was Hamiti and it would have been Drake Ayala if he was healthy. Next year I think Feldman would be a safe bet to make noise, I think Casey Swiderski can make noise with how open 141 is and I think Haines can be one.

My thoughts on the matter is this. If we see Levi next year it's because Cael believes he has a chance to be a national champion

Reactions: nitlion6
Don't shoot me for lack of knowledge but doesn't Berge actually get one more year if he wants it? I think he could finally get that AA with one final push. Is that completely ruled out? I would prefer BB to any other option if he felt the need to roll it out there one more time.

Don't shoot me for lack of knowledge but doesn't Berge actually get one more year if he wants it? I think he could finally get that AA with one final push. Is that completely ruled out? I would prefer BB to any other option if he felt the need to roll it out there one more time.
He would be our best option (especially with a full season wrestling 157) and he has another year but he committed to return to his coaching role at SDSU. Brady won't go back on his word after Damion Hahn let him pursue this (losing a coach and letting another team gain a good 157 pounder) His younger brother is starting school at SDSU also and I imagine he wants to be with him.

He definitely has another year if he wants it and could even apply for a hardship (or whatever it is called these days) because he was hurt for almost all of his RS Soph year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT