ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: What is Jim Delany's Big Ten legacy? #B1G

What is Jim Delany's legacy?

• Adopting instant replay (Joe's idea)

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Expanding B1G to 14 schools (Joe's idea)

• Creating B1G CCG (Joe's idea)

• Fining PSU $13 million; stripping JVP name from B1G COY award

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • Turning blind eye to MSU/Klages/Larry Nassar

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • Turning blind eye to OSU/Richard Strauss

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • Turning blind eye to Minnesota/Blowjob hockey coach

Votes: 23 42.6%
  • Turning blind eye to UM/Schembechler/Canham/Anderson

Votes: 24 44.4%
  • Stopping NCAA investigation in exchange for services of Ole Miss co-ed

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • Paying himself a $20 million bonus just because

Votes: 24 44.4%

• Total voters

ChiTownLion

May 29, 2001
As Jim Delany's contract with the Big Ten is set to expire (conflicting reports about Jan 1 vs June 1), let us review Jim Delany's legacy.

As always, feel free to nominate other noteworthy accomplishments.

Eh, who cares ?
The one and only reason we have ever been in this stinking conference is money.

Reactions: odshowtime
I voted for all of the ‘turned a blind eye’ to OSU, MSU, Michigan choices at the same time.

His legacy will always be hypocrisy.

From turning a blind eye to the old guard big ten schools, suddenly changing his absolute insistence that ‘conference champs should be in the playoffs’ once PSU took the championship over OSU (and then pushed for not only OSU but Michigan over big ten champ Penn St), his rush to public comments and fining PSU over C/S/S but total silence on Lou Anna Simon and MSU, insisting high academic standing was absolutely necessary to join the conference and then taking Nebraska, etc.

Of course the disaster of pushing the addition of Rutgers to the conference is in there as well. ;)

Last edited:
Just for the sake of debate.....suppose Delaney, with the benefit of hindsight, regrets his actions regarding PSU? It is hard for me to believe that after the revelations at OSU, MSU and now UM, any rational person would not want to "reset." Wouldn't today's "litigious" culture prevent him from addressing this? We've read the carefully worded document signed by Dambly in reference to the Paterno Family. Is it possible today for anyone to be truthful and candid?

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
Just for the sake of debate.....suppose Delaney, with the benefit of hindsight, regrets his actions regarding PSU? It is hard for me to believe that after the revelations at OSU, MSU and now UM, any rational person would not want to "reset." Wouldn't today's "litigious" culture prevent him from addressing this? We've read the carefully worded document signed by Dambly in reference to the Paterno Family. Is it possible today for anyone to be truthful and candid?

And how about Emmert?? We haven't heard squat out of that weasel. After Sandusky, Emmert never passed up an opportunity to speak about how bad the Penn State culture was and how we all needed time (probation) to find our collective soul. Nevermind the fact no Penn State employee was given a first hand account of sexual assault. The reports which were received were passed along to others outside the university. I know those facts have been beaten to death but they always bear repeating.

Ohio State, Michigan State, and Michigan?? Employees/coaches were given first hand accounts of sexual assaults. They did nothing. As far as Emmert is concerned, there's nothing the NCAA can do.

Delany is gone. Emmert isn't. I'm still waiting for an official NCAA statement on OSU/MSU/UM.

And how about Emmert?? We haven't heard squat out of that weasel. After Sandusky, Emmert never passed up an opportunity to speak about how bad the Penn State culture was and how we all needed time (probation) to find our collective soul. Nevermind the fact no Penn State employee was given a first hand account of sexual assault. The reports which were received were passed along to others outside the university. I know those facts have been beaten to death but they always bear repeating.

Ohio State, Michigan State, and Michigan?? Employees/coaches were given first hand accounts of sexual assaults. They did nothing. As far as Emmert is concerned, there's nothing the NCAA can do.

Delany is gone. Emmert isn't. I'm still waiting for an official NCAA statement on OSU/MSU/UM.
The same question would apply to Emmert. What can he say without opening himself/NCAA to litigation? That was my question.

Reactions: NittPicker
Thanks Rod.

"Take the name off the building or we will." :mad:
This is the key to why PSU was torched and the others will not/have not been. As a judge asked,"who hires an investigator/lawyer to blow their own brains out?"
Everyone here can be outraged....but all the other universities have Trustees and Administrators that are "protecting" their institutions, not THEMSELVES. If we are waiting for any of these scandals to gain the notoriety of the Second Mile Sandusky Scandal.....hell will freeze over first.
Those to blame are not Delaney or Emmert (as much as I detest them).
John Surma, Tom Corbett, Kenny Frazier, Ron Tomalis, Paul Suhey and company handed Delaney and Emmert a weapon, locked and loaded.

When I hear Delaney I can either be picture that miserable, desiccated turd from New Jersey OR picture Dana Delaney. I prefer the second choice for numerous and obvious reasons.

JImmy boy, BIg 10 lackey will probably have something named for him, I suggest the MSU-PSU trophy. The Land Grant - Jim Delaney See No Evil, Speak No Evil but Do Evil all the day long. He can retire to Peru, if we are lucky.

This is the key to why PSU was torched and the others will not/have not been. As a judge asked,"who hires an investigator/lawyer to blow their own brains out?"
Everyone here can be outraged....but all the other universities have Trustees and Administrators that are "protecting" their institutions, not THEMSELVES. If we are waiting for any of these scandals to gain the notoriety of the Second Mile Sandusky Scandal.....hell will freeze over first.
Those to blame are not Delaney or Emmert (as much as I detest them).
John Surma, Tom Corbett, Kenny Frazier, Ron Tomalis, Paul Suhey and company handed Delaney and Emmert a weapon, locked and loaded.
On the whole, it’s hard to disagree. But it wasn’t just a weapon that was handed over, it was also a signed blank check for funds drawn from the account of a then-hero turned pariah. It was like opening a barn to 4 packs of hungry wolves and expecting the chickens and cows to be protected and handled with discretion.

I didn’t even know how to respond to the claim of those who didn’t settle with OSU because they wanted PSU-type money. He may be more entitled to that type of settlement than others and I feel for any victim, but PSU wrote the book on how not to handle this situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comedian, Masterbator
A classic!
jimdelanymasturbator_large.jpg

Simple rule: people do what’s in their interest. If it’s not in their interest, don't expect people just do the right thing. In the settlement where they removed the sanctions and re-rewrote the record books, they required a statement by PSU that the NCAA acted in good faith. I’m not questioning the decision by those at PSU under the circumstances as I wasn’t involved and don’t know what went into the settlement decision. But at this point, I don't see it being in anyone’s interest to say they erred anytime soon. The less they have to think or talk about it, the better for them. “Let’s stop talking about it” is the recurring theme.

As Jim Delany's contract with the Big Ten is set to expire (conflicting reports about Jan 1 vs June 1), let us review Jim Delany's legacy.

As always, feel free to nominate other noteworthy accomplishments.

If your Michigan and or Ohio State I’m sure you loved him and MSU probably likes that he didn’t get involved in their sexual coverups so I’m sure they like him as well. I will give him credit for the BTN. He was ahead of the curve on that.

#BoomerRemover.

Freeh, Emmett. Erickson, Delaney, Surma, Corbett, Frazier, Tomalis, Suhey, Lubert, Fina, Baldwin, Peetz, Cotner, Dambley, Masser, Eckel, and a bunch of others.

Please and thank you. The world would absolutely be better off without.

The differences in the way these sex assault scandals were handled by the conference and the ncaa is a gaping, bleeding wound that will never heal.

My cynicism and hatred will never stop burning. I have hatred for the employees, alumni and fans of these schools that will never go away. My bitterness is a cross that I have to bear because people are selfish lying cheating trash. An apology might help but there will never be one.

I hope that asshole has a short retirement. How about getting booed at our Big Ten Championship game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT