ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Penn State's best year: 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

Which year will be Penn State's best?

Votes: 23 25.6%

Votes: 23 25.6%

Votes: 36 40.0%

Votes: 8 8.9%

• Total voters
2018 has a schedule set up for them nicely to get to a great bowl game again and win the BIG....2019 breaking in a new qb may be challenging but from 2020 on I think you're going to be looking at an Alabama type run if the recruiting keeps up this pace.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
2020 is the obvious choice IMO. I think 2018 is optimistic. 2019 might be a bit of a rebuild but 2020 should set up perfectly. Only question being breaking in a new QB if Tommy starts in 2019

2020 is the obvious choice IMO. I think 2018 is optimistic. 2019 might be a bit of a rebuild but 2020 should set up perfectly. Only question being breaking in a new QB if Tommy starts in 2019
Curious as to why you think 2019 is a rebuild year. Are we losing anyone of significance aside from Trace?

Hard to argue against 2018. The overall talent level might be higher in 2019 and onwards, but 2018 is the only season where we know that we have one of the best quarterbacks in the country taking snaps for us at the most important position on the field.

Reactions: 81b&w
Curious as to why you think 2019 is a rebuild year. Are we losing anyone of significance aside from Trace?

It depends on a couple things. How many of the underclassmen go pro (some are locks like Juwan) and the development of the DL/OL. I think we're going to be very young in 2019--though if you think most of the underclassmen will stick around then you'll have a different outlook. Of course, I also don't believe 10 wins in the regular season is a lock for 2018

I expect 2019. I think we are weak on defense next year...hope to be wrong on that. And 2019 is predicated on Stevens staying.

Not enough information about 21 and beyond. Who will play QB? Have no idea, but we should be solid everywhere else.

I think 18 will be the toughest. We did lose some really quality players, and someone who is in my opinion the most dynamic player I’ve ever seen at the college level. We also have a new OC. Rahne will be a great OC, but I expect some 1st year roadbumps. Trace will still get this team to 10-2 or 9-3.

Give Shorter, Kurtz, Slade, Parsons and crew another year or two and these guys will dominate. Natty in 20 ( just typing 2020 makes me feel old)

Carnac.jpg

Name four consecutive years that will rival Penn State's best ever.

I vote for 2019. Take a look at the spring roster. The only player of significance that we lose this year is Trace. We should be scary good in 2019 with Tommy at QB and everyone else back. We might lose one or 2 to the draft but we should have redshirts and 2019 recruits to fill their shoes. I'm really excited about 2019.

Hard to argue against 2018. The overall talent level might be higher in 2019 and onwards, but 2018 is the only season where we know that we have one of the best quarterbacks in the country taking snaps for us at the most important position on the field.

not sure what Trace has to do to get better, but i'll bet he does

I expect 2019. I think we are weak on defense next year...hope to be wrong on that. And 2019 is predicated on Stevens staying.

Not enough information about 21 and beyond. Who will play QB? Have no idea, but we should be solid everywhere else.

If TS stays, we kill it in 19. Period. A year of OJT for Parsons and Shorter and if TS does what he's shown should be expected... and then there's the TE's who will be improved.. the OL ditto.. the D in general... and my fave, the RB's. Imagine another year for Sanders and a year of training for Slade.

If Bucky stays on the DL (at DE) for his final year... wow. The schedule is a breeze (relatively speaking) with the only questionable games being AT msu and AT osu on Tgiving weekend. If ur going to win the damned thing, you should have to go thru Columbus... and I think we will.. like a freight train. First year I've seen in ages where I'm clicking W next to every game.

I vote for 2019. Take a look at the spring roster. The only player of significance that we lose this year is Trace. We should be scary good in 2019 with Tommy at QB and everyone else back. We might lose one or 2 to the draft but we should have redshirts and 2019 recruits to fill their shoes. I'm really excited about 2019.
Right. Aside from Juwan (assuming he leaves) and Trace going we might be scary good in 2019. Most of the OL back and the young defense with a year under it's belt. Biggest question marks are WR and QB and if you tell me that Stevens is sticking around it's really a matter of Shorter or someone else becoming the go to guy.

Right. Aside from Juwan (assuming he leaves) and Trace going we might be scary good in 2019. Most of the OL back and the young defense with a year under it's belt. Biggest question marks are WR and QB and if you tell me that Stevens is sticking around it's really a matter of Shorter or someone else becoming the go to guy.
And 2019 will likely be the last season we will ever play pitt in football. It will be quite fitting to score at least 70 against their gaggle of Akron rejects. It would remind us of many of the wins that Joe had against the hapless pitters.

Last edited:
And 2019 will likely be the last season we will ever play pitt in football. It will be quite fitting to score at least 70 against their gaggle of Akron rejects. It would remind us of many of the wins that Joe had against the hapless pitters.
Good riddance to them and this stupid series we signed. Hopefully we never have an AD who thinks this was a good idea.

2018 has a schedule set up for them nicely to get to a great bowl game again and win the BIG....2019 breaking in a new qb may be challenging but from 2020 on I think you're going to be looking at an Alabama type run if the recruiting keeps up this pace.

Problem with the 'Bama type run is that in 2020 'Bama will still be 'Bama. Plus with OSU within our division that makes it very difficult to consistently get to the B1G Champ Game, as opposed to 'Bama which can pretty much bank on getting to the SEC Champ Game on a yearly basis.

Problem with the 'Bama type run is that in 2020 'Bama will still be 'Bama. Plus with OSU within our division that makes it very difficult to consistently get to the B1G Champ Game, as opposed to 'Bama which can pretty much bank on getting to the SEC Champ Game on a yearly basis.

And when Bama doesn't get to the SEC championship game, they get put in the playoff anyway..

Sorry.. as for the topic.. as long as our offensive and defensive lines are good, we'll have the ability to re-load. I'll go with 2018 because of Trace, solid offensive and defensive lines and the return of John Reid to anchor the young but very talented secondary. Still waiting on our linebackers to return to the elite level but if young Parsons lives up to expectations, we might be close.

I think 18 will be the toughest. We did lose some really quality players, and someone who is in my opinion the most dynamic player I’ve ever seen at the college level. We also have a new OC. Rahne will be a great OC, but I expect some 1st year roadbumps. Trace will still get this team to 10-2 or 9-3.

Give Shorter, Kurtz, Slade, Parsons and crew another year or two and these guys will dominate. Natty in 20 ( just typing 2020 makes me feel old)

2018 will likely be one small step back from the last two years - perhaps a 9-3 type year.

Saquon was simply the best offensive player to ever play football at Penn State. At the same time, we had the best catching tight end in the history of Penn State and a receiver who played very close to the level of a Bobby Engram, Deion Butler, Allen Robinson, and Chris Godwin. You don't lose that type of talent and realistically think you can be as good or better the following year, regardless of the returning linemen and qb (how did Louisville do with Lamar Jackson last year who statistically was better than his prior year??).

Defensively, we are losing one of the best safeties to ever play at PSU who made up for the softness of our LB crew. I don't see any Poz, Bowman, or Lee types returning to play LB this year - perhaps Parsons will eventually develop to that level, but it is asking a lot to think he will step on campus and immediately play at that level in a ML spot as a true freshman - give the kid some time.

2019 looks loaded with talent AND experience everywhere except QB - who knows whether that will be Stevens or one of the new ones.

Reactions: PaFootbalGuy
Our WRs really underperformed in 2018. We lost two really, really close games in Sparty and tOSU. It could have been an awesome year. We lost a lot to the NFL on the OL and the portal, not to mention Trace. I would have said 2019 but I am concerned about the OL and DTs. I am also a little concerned at RB...not that we are weak but we are certainly inexperienced. Assuming we don't get portaled again, 20200 or even, 2021 with an experienced QB.

2018 will likely be one small step back from the last two years - perhaps a 9-3 type year.

Saquon was simply the best offensive player to ever play football at Penn State. At the same time, we had the best catching tight end in the history of Penn State and a receiver who played very close to the level of a Bobby Engram, Deion Butler, Allen Robinson, and Chris Godwin. You don't lose that type of talent and realistically think you can be as good or better the following year, regardless of the returning linemen and qb (how did Louisville do with Lamar Jackson last year who statistically was better than his prior year??).

Defensively, we are losing one of the best safeties to ever play at PSU who made up for the softness of our LB crew. I don't see any Poz, Bowman, or Lee types returning to play LB this year - perhaps Parsons will eventually develop to that level, but it is asking a lot to think he will step on campus and immediately play at that level in a ML spot as a true freshman - give the kid some time.

2019 looks loaded with talent AND experience everywhere except QB - who knows whether that will be Stevens or one of the new ones.
This guy nailed it.

ADVERTISEMENT