ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: On the field - who was the toughest, meanest s.o.b. to ever suit up for PSU?

Of these, who was the toughest, meanest, most fearless...

• Chet Parlevecchio

Votes: 23 16.4%
  • Sean Farrell

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Mike Reid

Votes: 15 10.7%
  • LaVar Arrington

Votes: 23 16.4%
  • Paul Pozlusny

Votes: 7 5.0%
  • Ron Heller

Votes: 14 10.0%
  • Julius Contz

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Bruce Clark

Votes: 16 11.4%
  • Trey Bauer

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • Ray Isom

Votes: 20 14.3%

• Total voters
That was Dickie Mo (Maginnis) - rest his soul. Dick had never been further than Harrisburg, and he went to visit RH one summer. They went to Jones Beach w/ 2 cases and were laying out doing their thing. After awhile Dick has to take a leak and doesn't understand when Ronnie tells him to go in the ocean - everyone does it. A few minutes go by and Heller hears screams. Looks down and sees Dickie in knee deep water taking a piss.
Thanks thats right...cuz Heller is from LI and knows Jones beach well...lol great story.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Don't think so, but Steve Sefter did - he was an AA HWT Wrestler as well as being a starting DE.

Heller did wrestle at PSU in 1983 .... went 2-0 according to the PSWC Website

also, see the article linked earlier by MTNittany ... he filled in for Sefter

A couple of others who come to mind:

Bill Dugan, OL from late 70s, early 80s who played for the Seahawks for a few seasons. He was no fun to deal with at fraternity parties... even his teammates couldn't calm him down at times. Finally had to go right to JVP for help. Dugan didn't give us any trouble after that.

Someone mentioned guest list issues with ball players - sometimes as pledges we just had to ask forgiveness later for letting someone in rather than make a scene then and there. Some of our own players were no help anyway.

John Ebersole (I think it was) had a rep for being nasty on the field. Late 60s.

Hartenstine was legendary for his nastiness on and off the field.
Ron Heller's on-field rep matched his, from what I understand.

A Millen story, told by Millen during one of his fireside chats at Fiji when he came to visit - at Kentucky in 1978 (PSU won, 30-0, in what was supposed to be a decent game). Opening kickoff, the Kty returner gets run out of bounds and into the PSU bench after a good return. He runs right at Millen, who is waiting to take the field with the defense, and who forearms him off his feet, 2 or 3 yards out of bounds but away from the refs' noticing. The guy gets up and thinks about starting something, the PSU players are already all around him, and Millen just glares at him. He turns and trots off. Message sent. 30-0.

Someone mentioned Steve Sefter. Very nice family. Chris was a Fiji when I was there, John used to come by when home from Princeton. Their Dad and mine enjoyed talking when they were both at the house for a function. My Dad was a railroad (PRR/Conrail) engineer, and Mr. Sefter had an interest in that either as another railroad guy or just as an area of interest.
They were from New Cumberland before moving to State College, or vice-versa?, iir.
Vice-versa. John was a state champ for State College, Steve for Cedar Cliff.

Reactions: mn78psu83 and Bob78
Didnt Heller also wrestle at PSU?

Don't think so, but Steve Sefter did - he was an AA HWT Wrestler as well as being a starting DE.

Just saw the article someone posted saying he did wrestle in the 1983-1984 season (i.e., Heller's Sr. Season - he was drafted in the 1984 NFL Draft and graduated PSU May/June 1984) -- did not know this. Article references that it was the 4th year in a row Lorenzo had started a Starting FB Player @HWT on the Wrestling Mat (the other 3 years are referring to Steve Sefter I'm pretty sure).

Just saw the article someone posted saying he did wrestle in the 1983-1984 season (i.e., Heller's Sr. Season - he was drafted in the 1984 NFL Draft and graduated PSU May/June 1984) -- did not know this. Article references that it was the 4th year in a row Lorenzo had started a Starting FB Player @HWT on the Wrestling Mat (the other 3 years are referring to Steve Sefter I'm pretty sure).
Wrong again. The article is in January and he wrestled his junior year. He also didn't graduate in 1984 (read Letters To Joe). He came back and graduated after his first year w/ the Bucs.

Wrong again. The article is in January and he wrestled his junior year. He also didn't graduate in 1984 (read Letters To Joe). He came back and graduated after his first year w/ the Bucs.

Aaahhhh, got it......did not realize he wrestled one year for Sefter - that was news to me and I used to go to virtually all the wrestling matches at Rec Hall because I knew many wrestlers from Erie (one for WVU, one for Lehigh, etc....) who competed against PSU....and I liked wrestling in general having wrestled as a youth.... Knew Heller's last year on the FB Team was the 1983 Season (i.e., went in 1984 NFL Draft), did not realize he had to finish classes to get his degree (but there's no way I'd really know that anyway.....).

Shane was too good of a guy. Bauer got the nod over him for hitting Michael Irvin in the back of the head w/ a football during warmups for the Fiesta Bowl.
Not disputing Shane was a good guy off the field. The poll is on the field, and in that regard I still vote for Shane.

For the name alone, I want to say Steve Smear, Reid's line mate, but I know better.

---
Hey! "You yadda yadda'd over the best part"

.Hafta ask the commissioner for a ruling to see if that is a flag?!?

Hafta admit, without remembering precisely what all the notes said (and "doodles" accompanying them), they were highly entertaining....probably caught me a little off-guard......and my reaction was highly entertaining to this gal and her friend.... Being completely honest, I was a little apprehensive that the lecturer was going to ask what the hell the problem was because they were laughing so hard and I really didn't want that to happen because I wouldn't have known how to respond, so I was alternatively reading the notes which had absolutely caught my full attention while simultaneously looking up repeatedly trying to act serious-like and that I was actually paying attention to the lecturer and what he had to say.....this of course only made them laugh harder which would draw glances over and gesticulations from me like "knock it off.....not now....".

You don't even have him listed....Steve Wisniewski not only has the reputation of being the meanest, nastiest player to ever play for PSU, but potentially one of the meanest, nastiest players to ever play in the NFL.
More than Bill Romanowski? Not a Penn Stater, but he'd get my vote.

Mike Reid was the first name in my mind.

More than Bill Romanowski? Not a Penn Stater, but he'd get my vote.

Mike Reid was the first name in my mind.

Wiz & Bill's NFL careers largely overlapped, and Wiz typically "beat" him in player polls for dirtiest player.

My guess, that's the primary reason that the guy isn't in the HOF now. It's tough for lineman as they don't have the measurables, but I think it's a no brainer that he should be in.

I'll re-do the poll in a couple of weeks or so w/ the appropriate additions/subtractions. I literally gave it 5 minutes thought, and was trying to grab guys from different time periods. Truth is they were all pretty much from 69-85.

I have a bone to pick with the OP of this thread.

I pride myself on having a pretty decent memory of most things related to PSU football, however I had no recollection of a player named "Contz," with exception of Bill, who was a damn good OT from Belle Vernon in the early eighties. Knowing I'm far from infallible I checked the all-time letterman list. Didn't find another Contz. Is this an early start on next April Fools day?

http://www.netitor.com/photos/schools/psu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/letterwinners.pdf

I have a bone to pick with the OP of this thread.

I pride myself on having a pretty decent memory of most things related to PSU football, however I had no recollection of a player named "Contz," with exception of Bill, who was a damn good OT from Belle Vernon in the early eighties. Knowing I'm far from infallible I checked the all-time letterman list. Didn't find another Contz. Is this an early start on next April Fools day?

http://www.netitor.com/photos/schools/psu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/letterwinners.pdf
Julius is Bill's real name. If you wanted to see how tough he was, call him by it. BTW, he taught Heller everything he knew.

True funny story on this topic - you'll get a kick out of it and probably understand it.... Had this class where this really hot girl and her friend were always sitting next to me in class - I usually sat near some people I knew, but no really close friends or even acquaintances were in the class (which happened on occasion due to the size of campus). Anyway, this girl missed a class and asked if she could borrow my notebook so she could take notes from my notes (this was before copying machines were readily available)....and she'd give it back to me the next class. Of course, I said, "yea sure, no problemo....".

So she gives me the notebook back before class the next class and the lecturer starts class, so I open my notebook leafing to a clean page and I notice that this girl has written little notes in the margins of the last couple of written pages and on the top of the first clean page. Without going into too much detail, it basically says, "hey dumb@ss, when are you going to ask me out on a date....?". So I'm reading this as class is starting and this girl (and her friend) are laughing their @ss off as they can see my facial expressions while reading these notes.... After class is over, I'm talking to them as we leave and out in the hallway....and we all have a good laugh at my expense....and of course I invite her to Highway Pizza to meet up and then either go to the movies, Docs or whatever....

Go to Highway Pizza and completely by coincidence Steve Sefter saw me there....and catches me going to the bathroom.....effectively says, "What the heck are you doing with....you know that she's been going out with Ron Heller recently?". So I explained what happened, that I didn't know she was going out with anyone (didn't even know her at all before this class), and that she'd basically asked me out, not vice versa. So he more-or-less says, "look do yourself a favor, have a nice meal with her - there's no harm in that, especially because you have this class together - but don't go out on the town on a date with her". So later when we were done eating, I told her I wasn't feeling very good and would have to give her a rain-check on the night out....she said she was going to stay downtown and find some friends.....and that was that.

Obviously we still saw each other in class and eventually I essentially asked her if she was dating RH.....she basically said, "on occasion, but not exclusively or anything.....he doesn't own me...". I told her to let me know if she ever broke it off with RH.....we remained friendly, but honestly I only saw her a handful of times after that class together (and yes, this transpired after the Fiji fight I witnessed - although I don't think it was the same girl, so my actions are quite understandable for all those who would say they would have done differently!).
We always knew you were a pussy.

:)

Thanks thats right...cuz Heller is from LI and knows Jones beach well...lol great story.
I see Ron's father about once a week. He is a golf ranger at Bethpage State Park golf courses. Saw him yesterday. Always asks me about the team. Ron was one tough dude - in the league with Wisnieski and Hartenstine. But there is one that is left out it seems - Dave Robinson. He played two ways - tight end and defensive end. I saw him almost decapitate Roger Staubach. His helmet came flying off because of the hit and alot of us were worried that his head might be in it!!!!

We always knew you were a pussy.

:)

Ummmm, when it came to a potential confrontation with Heller - everyone I knew in West Halls, including his teammates, was a pussy (and oh yea, as I mentioned initially to MtNittany, he lived directly below me in West Halls). :)

Last edited:
Ummmm, when it came to a potential confrontation with Heller - everyone I knew in West Halls, including his teammates, was a pussy. :)
I can't say that I knew him the way you did. I have only good memories of him. When I worked in Zeno's he was dating one of the waitresses and when last call had come and gone, he would stand over the tables of those who were slow to leave the bar and give them a little encouragement to go home and get some rest. Not once did anyone challenge him and we both appreciated and got a kick out of his assistance. He was a house.

Last edited:
I can't say that I knew him the way you did. I have only good memories of him. When I worked in Zeno's he was dating one of the waitresses and when last call had come and gone he would stand over the tables of those who were slow to leave the bar and give them a little encouragement to go home and get some rest. Not once did anyone challenge him and we both appreciated and got a kick out of his assistance. He was a house.
There were never any problems at the V.I.P. or the Den when he was in there. Another RH story is the bet. Contz was in town and he bet him $50 he couldn't drink a case of 16 oz. beers w/out taking a piss. It was February and they did it outside on lawn chairs. RH drank all the beer, took a 10 minute piss, and we all went to the Den.

Reactions: mn78psu83
We had a police report/arrest record of RH driving a 4WD Scout on the ice (maybe Whipple Dam?), doing "doughnuts", annoying the ice fisherman on our refrigerator door. I think that's when JVP wanted to take his captainship away.

Ronnie was also proud of his 5th ranking in the dirtiest player in the NFL poll (by the players) after his rookie season. He always pointed out that the top 4 were defensive players and he was the dirtiest offensive player in the league.

I haven't seen him since his Dolphin days. I know he was let go by the Jets in 2014. Not sure if he's coaching anywhere.

Another funny story - as I told you before, he lived directly below me in West Halls. One night, my roommate, some friends and I are drinking pretty heavily (the "beer fridge" where people could buy beer - i.e., "the floor bar" - was in our room as we had fake ID's and had established credibility at the bottle shop right next to the "blue course" on Atherton that was a short walk from West Halls) - so drunken rough-housing was not that unusual occurrence in our room... Rocky Washington used to come up and complain that he was trying to do homework and we were to knock off our rough-housing immediately (he was a strange combination of a trash-talking "I'm from the hood" -- reborn Christian kind of guy. Fortunately, he wasn't that intimidating as he was a WR/FL, and a smaller one at that - certainly in shape, but didn't go more than 175 lbs and well under 6 foot). Most of the time, we'd stop but then start up again.....and we'd only hear from Rocky one time. Well on this one occasion, Rocky had come up and we stopped (went across the hall to somebody else's room or some such thing), but eventually we were all back in my and my roommate's room as that is where "the bar" was....and we get this banging on the door - we figured it was Rocky again. My roommate opens the door and its Ron - he looks at us and says, "Next time I come up here, I'm going to kick your ass.". Then he says, "Give me a beer.", which we did and he turns and leaves.

There were never any problems at the V.I.P. or the Den when he was in there. Another RH story is the bet. Contz was in town and he bet him $50 he couldn't drink a case of 16 oz. beers w/out taking a piss. It was February and they did it outside on lawn chairs. RH drank all the beer, took a 10 minute piss, and we all went to the Den.

Oh yea, Greg Montgomery lived on my dorm floor maybe 6 doors from me (well before he got booted and transferred to MSU - what precipitated that is a story for another day).... Anyway, Montgomery is without question the craziest MFer - as in stupid crazy - I ever ran into (even Steve Sefter and his roommate Rusty Haukberg [sp?] thought this guy's antics were "off the reservation" and would often be the ones that would tell him that if he didn't knock it off, they were going to beat his @ss). This guy was utterly nuts - are you familiar with any of Greg's (and his roommates) antics??? They were legendary....

Greg Buttle deserves mention. This from the '74 Pitt game:

Donchez, the former Penn State running back who lives in Bethlehem, gave such a spirited pre-game speech before the 1974 game at Three Rivers Stadium that he threw his helmet across the locker room in anticipation.

His helmet hit Greg Buttle, a future all-American linebacker, in the head, producing a gash and knocking him cold. Buttle eventually came to and played a fearsome game, which Penn State won 31-10 on its way to the Cotton Bowl.

"His head was split open, and there was blood all over his jersey," Donchez said. "The Pitt guys were taken aback. They looked like, 'Who is this guy, why is he bleeding, and why is he making all these tackles?'"

LINK
Agree on Buttle

This guy was utterly nuts - are you familiar with any of Greg's (and his roommates) antics??? They were legendary....
Different part of West. I lived above Blackledge/Warner. W/ Cips. Ronnie and I lived together at Heritage Oaks 2 years later.

Different part of West. I lived above Blackledge/Warner. W/ Cips. Ronnie and I lived together at Heritage Oaks 2 years later.

"Cips" (as in brother of Dario?). Yes, you were on the very lower-end of Hamilton and Ron was at the absolute other end of Hamilton on the quad (upper parking lot was in back of our dorm rooms).

Reactions: MtNittany
Oh yea, Greg Montgomery lived on my dorm floor maybe 6 doors from me (well before he got booted and transferred to MSU - what precipitated that is a story for another day).... Anyway, Montgomery is without question the craziest MFer - as in stupid crazy - I ever ran into (even Steve Sefter and his roommate Rusty Haukberg [sp?] thought this guy's antics were "off the reservation" and would often be the ones that would tell him that if he didn't knock it off, they were going to beat his @ss). This guy was utterly nuts - are you familiar with any of Greg's (and his roommates) antics??? They were legendary....
I'm only know the sex on the shower room floor antics. Wasn't that what triggered it?

"Cips" (as in brother of Dario?). Yes, you were on the very lower-end of Hamilton and Ron was at the absolute other end of Hamilton on the quad (upper parking lot was in back of our dorm rooms).
We had Jon and Skeeter next door. Jon's uncle Abe would come on weekends. It would get real smokey down that end of the hallway.

From this article on Heller:

``Ron Heller is the type of guy who doesn`t ask your name, doesn`t act friendly, he`ll just throw you down,`` said tight end Keith Jackson, who played alongside Heller in Philadelphia. ``It`s going to be a contrast to what we`re used to. He doesn`t care who is in front of him. He`ll get you down and spit on you and then he doesn`t help pick anybody up. You`ve heard about good sportsmanship? That`s not exactly Ron.``

But the insinuation that Heller is of the Doebler breed irks him. He points out that he has never gotten a personal foul in his career. No, he doesn`t help his foes up. But that`s also not the point.

``The game is too important to be helping the other guy up,`` said Heller, a 10-year veteran who has been slated to take over as the starting right tackle. ``You work all day to knock the other guy over. You don`t want to just help him up. You want him to remember getting knocked down.``

Reactions: Phil's Rug
Didn't check all of the post and he might have already been mentioned - Ken Kelley played with a mean streak.

We had Jon and Skeeter next door. Jon's uncle Abe would come on weekends. It would get real smokey down that end of the hallway.

Wasn't Skeeter's last name Nichols iirc?

Knew and was very friendly with Skeeter. He used to hang out quite a bit with another OL (i.e., not RH) who lived near you all on that end of Hamilton, but whose name is currently escaping me...

Last edited:
Yeah - it seemed he was doing them a favor so Sefter could redshirt. I know he didn't wrestle in 84.

I had just graduated and was working with Steve's dad in Harrisburg that year. As I recall, Steve was pretty dinged up from the football season - no serious injuries but the season definitely took a toll on him and he didn't feel he could compete at his best level. His buddy Heller filled in for him.

Steve came back and contended for a NC the next year but came up short. He was pretty svelt (even though he was a lineman at a PSU) and was usually 40-50 pounds lighter than his opponent.

I haven't thought about the Sefters in a long time. Steve's dad (Jack) also graduated from Penn State. He used to tell me some pretty interesting stories from his time there in the 50's. He was friends with the well known Rathskeller chef "Spider".

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT