ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: If Penn State makes the Citrus Bowl this year are you happy with that?

If Penn State makes the Citrus Bowl this year are you happy with that?

• Yes

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • No

Votes: 38 63.3%

• Total voters
OK but in that stretch we've won 11 3 times.
But 2 playoffs in 8 years without a playoff win. Is that good enough for you?
And don't think I'm saying this just to you--I say the same thing to Penn State fans when they pretend Penn State was relevant after 1994.

But 2 playoffs in 8 years without a playoff win. Is that good enough for you?
And don't think I'm saying this just to you--I say the same thing to Penn State fans when they pretend Penn State was relevant after 1994.

Given our academics I don't know how much better we can do frankly.

Not saying this with any arrogance it's just that we rarely get undergrad transfers either leaving or entering. Guys who want to come complain they lose too many credits we won't accept. We've only had 2----a kid from Navy who we made sit a year ( currently with the Chargers ) and a kid this year who came from Northwestern.

Hard to win at a high level in the CFB of today without a transfer or two.

We do not run guys who are mistakes out . You sign them they get 4 years is the AD's mandate. Any Assistant who suggests a kid would be better off elsewhere will get a pink slip .

Grad Transfers we can get-----but you have to get accepted into a grad program and this takes time. We've lost several guys in both football and hoops because they couldn't wait.

What is our fault is that we haven't brought in high end QB's. There's no reason for that IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: LfthandGolf

Not saying this with any arrogance it's just that we rarely get undergrad transfers either leaving or entering. Guys who want to come complain they lose too many credits we won't accept. We've only had 2----a kid from Navy who we made sit a year ( currently with the Chargers ) and a kid this year who came from Northwestern.

We do not run guys who are mistakes out . You sign them they get 4 years is the AD's mandate. Any Assistant who suggests a kid would be better off elsewhere will get a pink slip .

Grad Transfers we can get-----but you have to get accepted into a grad program and this takes time. We've lost several guys in both football and hoops because they couldn't wait.

What is our fault is that we haven't brought in high end QB's. There's no reason for that IMO.
I'd definitely take ND's success over the past 10 years. You guys are in the mix. As a PSU fan, I just want to be in the mix most years. I feel like Franklin got us into the mix in 2016, 2017, 2019. Covid took a dump on 2020. I'm not judging him for a 9 game empty stadium season starting in late October. 2021 was on the right path until injuries and close losses derailed the season. OSU is the measuring stick and when we're on the field with them we aren't outclassed anymore. We have to beat them to get over the hump. If we flip the one point losses to one point wins in 2017 and 2018 does that change the perspective of Franklin? College football is pretty chaotic right now with the NIL and transfer portal taking over. I think Franklin is a pretty good guy to navigate that type of chaos. For me, New Year's 6 is a nice consolation, but conference championship and playoff are what we're shooting for every year. The players and coaches are thinking that. You can tell by the way they come off a huge loss.

Reactions: john4psu
Penn State made the Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl and Cotton Bowl in the last six seasons. Anyone unhappy with that should go root for Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, Clemson or Oklahoma. Sheesh.
Only because OSU opened up a space for everyone else. The rest of the big has very little draw besides maybe UM.

Feasting on below average teams. By my count only three of those wins were against quality opponents.
That is Franklin's MO. Unless he has considerably more talent on hand than the opponent, he loses a lot more than he wins.

Is this the early 2000s and we're lowering expectations?
There is no reason a program like Penn State shouldn't be competing for titles yearly with Bama Georgia Ohio State and Michigan.
Actually there is one big reason Penn State isn't competing for titles. His name is James Franklin.

You lost me at the first sentence. ND has more than enough money fro that to be irrelevant. Same excuse our fans falsely use.

Actually there is one big reason Penn State isn't competing for titles. His name is James Franklin.
Do you buy tickets and continue to support the program? If so, you're encouraging them to keep Franklin. That stadium should be half empty right now.

That is Franklin's MO. Unless he has considerably more talent on hand than the opponent, he loses a lot more than he wins.
Sadly that's been the case. It seems to me that a team's record should be commensurate with a team's recruiting and that hasn't happened at PSU the last few years.

Sadly that's been the case. It seems to me that a team's record should be commensurate with a team's recruiting and that hasn't happened at PSU the last few years.
Injuries can affect some teams more than others.

I have no idea if Franklin can "get them there or not". I do know this. If they can block, the rest is gravy. The offensive line has been a disaster for decades

ADVERTISEMENT