ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: If Penn State makes the Citrus Bowl this year are you happy with that?

If Penn State makes the Citrus Bowl this year are you happy with that?

• Yes

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • No

Votes: 38 63.3%

• Total voters
This team has the talent to go 10-2. Can the coaching and team leadership get them to that point? They really should not lose more than 3 games. Time to let the walk match the talk.

Reactions: THEEHMANN
Penn State made the Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl and Cotton Bowl in the last six seasons. Anyone unhappy with that should go root for Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia, Clemson or Oklahoma. Sheesh.

If the only other possible slots were the Quick Lane, Pinstripe, Guaranteed Rate or Music City Bowls, then my answer is yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: psuno1
I think the only big mistake Franklin since coming to PSU was hiring a b1g offensive coordinator. Carioca... Talk to you are off and totally f***** the development of backup quarterbacks and the entire damn offense. What the hell was up with that man... I hope to God they didn't pay him! LOL

I think the only big mistake Franklin since coming to PSU was hiring a b1g offensive coordinator. Carioca... Talk to you are off and totally f***** the development of backup quarterbacks and the entire damn offense. What the hell was up with that man... I hope to God they didn't pay him! LOL
The only big mistake? Really? He has had many big mistakes since coming to PSU.

• Haha
Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
So did USC, Notre Dame, Texas, and Nebraska.
I believe Penn State should be playing for Championships. Yes, a Cotton, Rose, Orange Bowl are fine if they are the years between playing for Championships or those bowl games are the playoff games. Notre Dame should be off that list. 2 playoffs and played for 2012 BCS Championship in the last decade. All of your list have played for and/or won Championships more recently than the last time Penn State played for one.

Last edited:
Is this the early 2000s and we're lowering expectations?
There is no reason a program like Penn State shouldn't be competing for titles yearly with Bama Georgia Ohio State and Michigan.
9-3 would be a good season in 2022 given the limitations of our coaching staff. Realistic expectations are a good thing. Nothing in Franklin's 8 year history with the program suggests he has the coaching acumen necessary to turn Penn State into a routine playoff team. We haven't had a legit x-receiver since Godwin left. We keep whiffing on 3-tech tackles every year. We don't have a true 5-tech end on the entire roster. In 2021, we had our third radically different blocking scheme in three seasons. Most of our two deep do not project to the spread gap MY uses. At the end of the day, Franklin has not demonstrated he is capable of getting over the hump. He recruits well enough to get us to 7 to 10 wins (regular season) a year with losses that follow a pattern. Coaches like Franklin rarely get over the hump and usually get fired after players start treating the program as the easiest path to the NFL.

9-3 would be a good season in 2022 given the limitations of our coaching staff. Realistic expectations are a good thing. Nothing in Franklin's 8 year history with the program suggests he has the coaching acumen necessary to turn Penn State into a routine playoff team. We haven't had a legit x-receiver since Godwin left. We keep whiffing on 3-tech tackles every year. We don't have a true 5-tech end on the entire roster. In 2021, we had our third radically different blocking scheme in three seasons. Most of our two deep do not project to the spread gap MY uses. At the end of the day, Franklin has not demonstrated he is capable of getting over the hump. He recruits well enough to get us to 7 to 10 wins (regular season) a year with losses that follow a pattern. Coaches like Franklin rarely get over the hump and usually get fired after players start treating the program as the easiest path to the NFL.
Then the program isn't where it needs to be and Franklin needs to go. We should never be celebrating a season that doesn't result in, at minimum, a playoff appearance. Sitting here saying that "9-3 would be a good season" regardless of what follows it is why we keep a coach like Franklin. People continue to buy tickets supporting the program.

Reactions: scrivener
Enough talent on this team where only OSU is unbeatable. Turnovers by the buckeyes and boom, PSU goes 12-0, just like that.

Then the program isn't where it needs to be and Franklin needs to go. We should never be celebrating a season that doesn't result in, at minimum, a playoff appearance. Sitting here saying that "9-3 would be a good season" regardless of what follows it is why we keep a coach like Franklin. People continue to buy tickets supporting the program.
I am a realist. I have realistic expectations given our talent level, conference and coaching staff. That does not mean I am happy with the result on the field. I am not. I do think 9-3 is a reasonable best case for a Franklin coached team with his players. That is it. I would have preferred we let him walk two contract extensions ago rather than resign him and then double down on stupid and resign him again making him the most over-paid, over-rated coach in the entire country. We are more than able to hire a better coach at half the cost in an instant if Franklin were out of the picture. We'll get to the playoffs eventually, Franklin's replacement will be the one to do it though.

I'm a pro Franklin guy, I graduated during the Rip Engle years, before Paterno was ever Head Coach. This is the first year Franklin has had top-flight coordinators on both sides of the ball. I was never a fan of the former DC now at VT.

I'm a pro Franklin guy, I graduated during the Rip Engle years, before Paterno was ever Head Coach. This is the first year Franklin has had top-flight coordinators on both sides of the ball. I was never a fan of the former DC now at VT.
I wouldn't go there. I would not put MY in the "top notch" category. Top notch coordinators do not voluntarily demote themselves by moving from an offensive coordinator position at Oklahoma State to a quarterbacks coach at Ohio State. Also keep in mind, his offenses never really stepped up in games against good defenses at Oklahoma State. Diaz is a good coordinator, but I wouldn't necessary consider him top notch either. Joe Moorhead was absolutely top notch. He is the second best offensive mind in the college game behind Bill O'Brien and both are well ahead of just about everyone else.

I am a realist. I have realistic expectations given our talent level, conference and coaching staff. That does not mean I am happy with the result on the field. I am not. I do think 9-3 is a reasonable best case for a Franklin coached team with his players. That is it. I would have preferred we let him walk two contract extensions ago rather than resign him and then double down on stupid and resign him again making him the most over-paid, over-rated coach in the entire country. We are more than able to hire a better coach at half the cost in an instant if Franklin were out of the picture. We'll get to the playoffs eventually, Franklin's replacement will be the one to do it though.
Fair enough and while I agree that's the realistic perspective I'll never pretend to support them for being mediocre.

I would not be happy with a Citrus Bowl appearance. The only way I’d be satisfied is if Penn State misses a bowl altogether.

I’m kidding. Sort of. ;)

Fair enough and while I agree that's the realistic perspective I'll never pretend to support them for being mediocre.
That is pretty much my take. I don't think Franklin has IT. I don't think he ever will. There will always be uncertainty with new coaches. Given Franklin's demonstrated track record, the risk of letting him walk and bringing in a new coach and giving him the contract he has now (which will only amplify his negative traits because he can't be fired) was worth the risk.

And are they happy with the state of their programs?

Six teams have won 10 or more 5 straight years-----Bama , Ga , OSU , Oklahoma , Clemson and ND.

That's pretty good company.

We've made the Playoffs twice during that time frame----drew the eventual MNC in the 1st Rd and were outclassed just like the last 2 Big Ten Champions were when they played the MNC.

If you think Penn State could hire a better coach at HALF the cost, HALF THE COST, you are the furthest thing from a realist and far less intelligent than you think you are.

Reactions: PSUALREADYKNOW
Six teams have won 10 or more 5 straight years-----Bama , Ga , OSU , Oklahoma , Clemson and ND.

That's pretty good company.

We've made the Playoffs twice during that time frame----drew the eventual MNC in the 1st Rd and were outclassed just like the last 2 Big Ten Champions were when they played the MNC.
Okay, that's fair--ND is the one team in that group I would say shouldn't be livid with the state of their program. See USC adding Riley. 10 wins just doesn't mean what it used to for me anyway.

Reactions: RickinDayton
If you think Penn State could hire a better coach at HALF the cost, HALF THE COST, you are the furthest thing from a realist and far less intelligent than you think you are.
Or Franklin isn't half as good as you think he is. Here is a hint. He isn't. We have the most over-rated, over-paid coach in college football history calling the shots. Up until recently, PJ Fleck made slightly more than half of Franklin's salary, as did Bronco Mendenhall before he retired. Both are better coaches. Schiano, also a better coach, makes less than half. There are many more coaches out there for half the price that are better. Many more beyond that that are equal, and won't whine nonstop about everything, or blame players for his failures as Franklin is prone to do.

Or Franklin isn't half as good as you think he is. Here is a hint. He isn't. We have the most over-rated, over-paid coach in college football history calling the shots. Up until recently, PJ Fleck made slightly more than half of Franklin's salary, as did Bronco Mendenhall before he retired. Both are better coaches. Schiano, also a better coach, makes less than half. There are many more coaches out there for half the price that are better. Many more beyond that that are equal, and won't whine nonstop about everything, or blame players for his failures as Franklin is prone to do.
I agree with a lot of what you're saying but if those guys game to Penn State they wouldn't be making half as much. Mendenhall tanked at UVa and BYU has done great their past two years. I wouldn't use Mendenhall or Schiano as examples :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT