ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting **PODCAST: Where Penn State Football improved ft. special guest Steve Jones**

Great content! Steve Jones is the best!
Two things surprised me about what he said regarding DT and WR.

1) No mention of Zane Durant. I thought he was coming along nicely and was a guy to watch but maybe too young and unproven to warrant a shout out by Steve.

2) He reeled off a bunch of WRs as the second group after KLS, Wallace, Evans and Cephus but NO mention of Kaeden Saunders. This is disappointing given how how highly ranked he was out of high school. Still hopeful he can make meaningful contributions for us.

1) No mention of Zane Durant. I thought he was coming along nicely and was a guy to watch but maybe too young and unproven to warrant a shout out by Steve.

2) He reeled off a bunch of WRs as the second group after KLS, Wallace, Evans and Cephus but NO mention of Kaeden Saunders. This is disappointing given how how highly ranked he was out of high school. Still hopeful he can make meaningful contributions for us.
This isn’t a Biden press conference where Jones was given the questions to study in advance. He was rattling off names as best he could to hype some kids. I bet five minutes after it concluded he was kicking himself for not mentioning some other players.

This isn’t a Biden press conference where Jones was given the questions to study in advance. He was rattling off names as best he could to hype some kids. I bet five minutes after it concluded he was kicking himself for not mentioning some other players.
Yeah probably. I see that with Durant but he was going deep into the depth chart at WR. In fact Saunders may have been the only one omitted that is not a Freshman.

Did jones fall down steps and need support to move in proper directions as well?

Two things that I think are in play with Saunders, first is that he didn’t really play wide receiver in high school, so he has a steep learning curve for the position. I know some will say that because he was a quarterback it shouldn’t take a lot of time, but if he never ran the routes, he’s probably having trouble getting off the ball and getting where he needs to be. the second kind of goes along with that in that he’s not a very big kid. I’m guessing that he’s not able to handle himself in the weight room like he should.

Two things that I think are in play with Saunders, first is that he didn’t really play wide receiver in high school, so he has a steep learning curve for the position. I know some will say that because he was a quarterback it shouldn’t take a lot of time, but if he never ran the routes, he’s probably having trouble getting off the ball and getting where he needs to be. the second kind of goes along with that in that he’s not a very big kid. I’m guessing that he’s not able to handle himself in the weight room like he should.
Welp, whatever it is then it seems he is not poised to make much of an impact for us. Why was he so highly regarded as a WR if he never played it much? Did everyone think that just because he was a QB and a good athlete he would make a seamless transition? OSU totally passed on him, correct?

Welp, whatever it is then it seems he is not poised to make much of an impact for us. Why was he so highly regarded as a WR if he never played it much? Did everyone think that just because he was a QB and a good athlete he would make a seamless transition? OSU totally passed on him, correct?
OSU, i believe wanted him more as a DB...he wanted to play WR and PSU gave him that chance...as a senior he did play a lot of QB because his team needed that but i think he played WR prior to that...it seems he admitted that he was out of shape and not totally focused his first year...this year is different (according to him)...remember he had a pretty good Blue-White game, which is encouraging

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT