ADVERTISEMENT

Plenty of OSU fans predicting blowout

Going back to the win in 2016, the game was primarily won by our DL, ST’s and QB / WR’s.
The biggest surprise of all was the DL. Our DL playing well this game would also be a big surprise based on everything we’ve seen so far this season.

I have a feeling that Psu has been holding back some defensive formations.Micah Parsons meet Dwayne Haskins.Watching him run down the Illinois qb in the second half gives you an idea how fast he is.
Some defensive schemes, probably......., tacking has been a problem....I certainly don't believe we're holding back in that respect.

Reactions: m48tank
OSU blowout seems pretty likely to me. Not sure how this defense slows them down at all. Strange things happen in whiteouts though, like Sickels coming out of nowhere in 2016 to embarrass their O-line over and over again in a performance nobody saw coming. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic.

Blowout, likely? If you think a blowout is likely you might be listening to a little too much ESPN / BTN hype. The level of competition, TCU included, that OSU has faced this year is not that high. Could it end up a blowout, sure, anything is possible. We might not win but I will be shocked if we get embarrassed. At home in front of an energized crowd our team will focus and play their best game so far this season. Don't sell our guys short. OSU will be the best team we see all season but they are not unbeatable.

Reactions: m48tank and LionJim
Speaking as a Buckeye;

I would think the odds of tOSU blowing out PSU are super low. I COULD see it happening, but like 5% chance. I think the more likely Buckeye-win-scenario is a game where we win by 10-14 points, and don't lock it down until sometime mid-late 4th quarter.... or something akin to the last few years where it's a <3 game.

The OSU offense is arguably the best in my lifetime (born 1985). Haskins is on par to set tOSU passing yards and TD's single season records at OSU... in ten or eleven games. The Buckeye offense is going to score points, and while I wouldn't put a turnover in the impossible column, if you're banking on beating us from offensive turnovers you'll likely be disappointed.

For PSU to win they need to take advantage of our very suspect linebacker play. Short passes into the middle, and successful running back play. If you depend too much on McSorley passing downfield the solid-secondary paired with brutal pass rush (even without Bosa there are probably 2 first round picks on that d-line) will eventually make you pay. I believe someone earlier called it right; PSU will need sustained long drives that take advantage of our linebackers and keep our offense off the field. If you try to get into a horse race and chuck it down field for fast scores every drive, your odds of winning are going to drop tremendously.

Either way hoping for a great game. I think these are the two best teams in the conference this year, and PSU is easily (IMO) the best team on our schedule.

Best offense in your lifetime? TCU actually held Haskins in check for most of the game and they aren't even considered an elite defense. PSU's defense is far from elite, but beating up on Oregon State, Rutgers and Tulane was pretty much what most people expected. OSU scored 2 TD's on defense and blocked a punt that gave Haskins a short field to work with against TCU. You need to see a bigger sample size on Haskins before you can call that offense the best in your lifetime. The combined record of your opponents this year is 5-11. That's not even taking into consideration how awful those opponents actually are. It will be a dogfight Saturday and OSU is the favorite, but hold the brakes on the best offense talk.

Reactions: Louisville JD
Speaking as a Buckeye;

I would think the odds of tOSU blowing out PSU are super low. I COULD see it happening, but like 5% chance. I think the more likely Buckeye-win-scenario is a game where we win by 10-14 points, and don't lock it down until sometime mid-late 4th quarter.... or something akin to the last few years where it's a <3 game.

The OSU offense is arguably the best in my lifetime (born 1985). Haskins is on par to set tOSU passing yards and TD's single season records at OSU... in ten or eleven games. The Buckeye offense is going to score points, and while I wouldn't put a turnover in the impossible column, if you're banking on beating us from offensive turnovers you'll likely be disappointed.

For PSU to win they need to take advantage of our very suspect linebacker play. Short passes into the middle, and successful running back play. If you depend too much on McSorley passing downfield the solid-secondary paired with brutal pass rush (even without Bosa there are probably 2 first round picks on that d-line) will eventually make you pay. I believe someone earlier called it right; PSU will need sustained long drives that take advantage of our linebackers and keep our offense off the field. If you try to get into a horse race and chuck it down field for fast scores every drive, your odds of winning are going to drop tremendously.

Either way hoping for a great game. I think these are the two best teams in the conference this year, and PSU is easily (IMO) the best team on our schedule.

On defense you have 4 returning starters from last year so hardly a strong defense. As far as the best offense in your lifetime? You were alive in 1994 right when psu had the greatest offense of all time.

This game willl be a shootout and whoever makes fewer mistakes like tcu gifting a shuttle pass td to your lineman to turn the game around will make the difference.

So are you going to the game? Whiteout? Best atmosphere and game day experience there is in sports don’t miss out on it if you haven’t been to state college.

TCU defense gave up 26. OSU had two defensive scores. You can say TCU has the best defense in the Big 12, but that doesn’t make them an elite defense.

Something about a Whiteout makes Urban coach scared. Instead of playing to win, he plays not to lose. He did it in both ‘14 and ‘16. I think it could be a comeback win for the good guys.
Maybe Urban will forget how to win!

Reactions: Bertway0
When has tcu ever had a good defense. What a joke . I laughed when the commentators were saying that. They didn’t come out flat against Texas since they are in the same division they knew the stakes of a
Division win or loss . Osu is overrated! Now we need to play a solid game and get the win!

TCU’s D held tOSU to 26 pts.....do you honestly think PSU does that Sat night?

TCU’s D held tOSU to 26 pts.....do you honestly think PSU does that Sat night?
Considering Penn State’s defense is better than TCU’s, I think it’s absolutely possible. I see it as a 34-28 type of game, one way or another.

Best offense in your lifetime? TCU actually held Haskins in check for most of the game and they aren't even considered an elite defense. PSU's defense is far from elite, but beating up on Oregon State, Rutgers and Tulane was pretty much what most people expected. OSU scored 2 TD's on defense and blocked a punt that gave Haskins a short field to work with against TCU. You need to see a bigger sample size on Haskins before you can call that offense the best in your lifetime. The combined record of your opponents this year is 5-11. That's not even taking into consideration how awful those opponents actually are. It will be a dogfight Saturday and OSU is the favorite, but hold the brakes on the best offense talk.

I was unaware that putting up 350 yards and 2 TD's with a 63% ratio was being held in check. I'll take note. Haskins has barely seen a snap in the second half (aside from TCU) this year and he's on par to set tOSU single season passing record by mid November. Yesterday he went 21-24, and one was a throwaway and another was dropped by the receiver. That's great no matter who you are playing against.

Haskins also saw significant playing time last year, most notably he saved the day vs M*chigan in the Big House; came in for the injured Barrett and came back from two scores down with numerous clutch throws, putting up almost 100 yards in around a quarter of play.

To clarify though; best Ohio State offense of my lifetime, not all offenses ever. But that take is a general consensus on the Ohio State boards; this may well be the best OSU offense going back several decades.

On defense you have 4 returning starters from last year so hardly a strong defense. As far as the best offense in your lifetime? You were alive in 1994 right when psu had the greatest offense of all time.

This game willl be a shootout and whoever makes fewer mistakes like tcu gifting a shuttle pass td to your lineman to turn the game around will make the difference.

So are you going to the game? Whiteout? Best atmosphere and game day experience there is in sports don’t miss out on it if you haven’t been to state college.

The back 7 of our defense is most definitely our weak point. To win PSU must exploit that (especially the linebackers).

To clarify; I mean best Ohio State offense in my lifetime. Most the Buckeye fans will agree with that statement too.

I do live in Philly now, and my neighbor (PSU family) suggested he may be able to scrounge some tickets to go together; but I believe his brother in law scooped them up. Aside from with PSU friends it's unlikely I'll go to State College for a Buckeye game; I've heard far too many horror stories from friends about the more rancorous fans. This year we're going back to Columbus for the Nebraska game with some Nebraska-Alum friends. That chewed up our budget for tickets.

Some students maybe but no different than going to a buckeye game So you should really go and spend the money and sit with alumni on the press box side. I went to Columbus again last year and spent the money due to past experiences and sat with the alumni. It was a good time .

The back 7 of our defense is most definitely our weak point. To win PSU must exploit that (especially the linebackers).

To clarify; I mean best Ohio State offense in my lifetime. Most the Buckeye fans will agree with that statement too.

I do live in Philly now, and my neighbor (PSU family) suggested he may be able to scrounge some tickets to go together; but I believe his brother in law scooped them up. Aside from with PSU friends it's unlikely I'll go to State College for a Buckeye game; I've heard far too many horror stories from friends about the more rancorous fans. This year we're going back to Columbus for the Nebraska game with some Nebraska-Alum friends. That chewed up our budget for tickets.

Talk about the kettle calling the pot black.....visitors to games in Columbus are treated far far worse than visiting fans in any other Big 10(14) town.....and it’s not even close.

Reactions: step.eng69

You sound like the Pitt fans with Pickett. You might want to wait until Haskins gets a few real games under his belt before you anoint him and the offense the greatest ever.

I can't see it being a 63-14 type blowout because we will score on them.

However, I could see something like 49-31 or 56-34. Not a total blowout, but not really competitive either.

PSU needs to score 50 points to have a chance for the win.
Do you people believe your own bullshit! Unbelievable!

I will say one thing - there is a difference right now between the OSU fanbase and that of PSU. Since the start of the 2016 season PSU is 26-5, OSU is 27-4. We have played twice, each team won a tight game at home. Yet OSU fans expect to win every game. They believe they are a top 10, maybe top 5 or top 3 program and their confidence reflects that. Makes no difference if they give up 31 points to Oregon State or 500 yards to TCU. They still expect their guys to win. Conversely the PSU fanbase, with some exceptions, believes we have achieved this 2 and a half year run with smoke and mirrors. The wins over Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Washington, were all just a perfect storm and the more accurate picture of the program is a tough half of football against Illinois or Pitt.
So I have no issue at all with any OSU fan who expects they will win big. That's what fans of a big time football power should think. Sometimes they will be proven wrong, such as against Clemson and PSU and Iowa the past few years, but for the most part they do win big regardless of opponent or venue. As a PSU fan I would hope we soon get to that place soon where we act like we've been there before and expect to win every week against every opponent. I can already imagine the terror some must have thinking about playing Michigan because they looked awfully good against Western Michigan and Nebraska.
This is the post of the year so far!

This game (as so many) will come down to the QBs. And as much as Haskins looks like a gamer, he will be challenged and pressured more than he has ever been in his career. McSorley is a proven winner and betting against him would be a folly bet. Penn State by 4.

This feels a lot like 2012.....except the opposite. If you remember, that year Penn State was favored to win......even the Buckeye faithful felt we had an edge. Didn't quite work out that way. I see a similar result in 2018, but this time Penn State comes out on top!

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Last edited:
Agree. Especially without Bosa. I see a high scoring game with OSU winning by 10
Buckeye fan here and come in peace. Most I know and talk to believe this will be a high scoring and very close game. Like some already stated, difficult to go into this venue and get a blowout. Both D's are suspect in the back 7 though believe O-line and D-line depth secures a late TD for a 10 point Buckeye victory. I'm just pumped to watch actual competition rather than blow outs. Best of luck Saturday night and hope for no injuries on either side. Bosa injury was killer.

Some students maybe but no different than going to a buckeye game So you should really go and spend the money and sit with alumni on the press box side. I went to Columbus again last year and spent the money due to past experiences and sat with the alumni. It was a good time .

I suspect living out here I'll make my way there eventually. Especially with all the PSU neighbors/co-workers/etc.

Talk about the kettle calling the pot black.....visitors to games in Columbus are treated far far worse than visiting fans in any other Big 10(14) town.....and it’s not even close.

Having attended probably 50-60 OSU tailgates/homegames/etc, I can only recount 1 situation where I saw a visiting fan accosted in any way. Some poor guy (PSU fan ironically enough) was trying to call someone standing on the sidewalk next to an OSU student party. An incredibly drunk guy game up and tried to throw his drink at the guy, totally unprovoked. The other OSU fans immediately swarmed the drunken fool, dragged him away, and offered the poor guy a beer and apologies.

Beyond that the worst I've seen is a few boos or "your team sucks" types of things. And I'd say 90% of that was directed at M*chigan fans.

Admittedly I've never attended a game at PSU; but I have probably half-dozen acquaintances/friends who had batteries thrown at them, were verbally accosted/sworn at (with their children in tow) more than once per visit, and one friend who was in tOSU marching band when they had bags of urine thrown at them. Mind you 2 of those acquaintances were fans of other Big Ten schools, one going all the way back to the 90's.

I don't mean to imply the entire PSU fan base are jerks. In fact most of the PSU grads/fans I know out here are pretty great. But that reputation for some of the folks at the games precedes itself.

You sound like the Pitt fans with Pickett. You might want to wait until Haskins gets a few real games under his belt before you anoint him and the offense the greatest ever.

We're "waiting"... But it's hard not to be excited. Just looking at his motions, his accuracy, his distance, zip, etc.... He may not be the best QB Ohio State has had in the last 50 years, but it's hard to argue he's not at least in the argument for the best passer we've had. Pair that with two 1000+ yard halfbacks, a solid O-line, and the most talented (if not yet totally proven) receiving core Ohio State has had since at least the Cooper era.

You're right we should wait to "anoint" him; but ya gotta see this kid play.

Admittedly I've never attended a game at PSU; but I have probably half-dozen acquaintances/friends who had batteries thrown at them, were verbally accosted/sworn at (with their children in tow) more than once per visit, and one friend who was in tOSU marching band when they had bags of urine thrown at them. Mind you 2 of those acquaintances were fans of other Big Ten schools, one going all the way back to the 90's.

It seems everyone who are fans of OSU have a friend that was in the marching band and had piss balloons thrown at them. Kinda like every Democrat has a friend that Kavanaugh sexually assaulted in high school.

Reactions: razpsu
We're "waiting"... But it's hard not to be excited. Just looking at his motions, his accuracy, his distance, zip, etc.... He may not be the best QB Ohio State has had in the last 50 years, but it's hard to argue he's not at least in the argument for the best passer we've had. Pair that with two 1000+ yard halfbacks, a solid O-line, and the most talented (if not yet totally proven) receiving core Ohio State has had since at least the Cooper era.

You're right we should wait to "anoint" him; but ya gotta see this kid play.

Bro, we get it. You are in love with Haskins and believe he is the next Tom Brady. I'm just saying that you have to look at who he is putting up those numbers against. Oregon State, Rutgers and Tulane are awful competition and OSU most likely puts up 50 points with your 2nd team. Those teams are that bad. Rutgers just got blown out by Buffalo and Kansas.

I have watched Haskins now in all four games and he is an excellent drop back passer when he has all day to throw and his first option is wide open. That has been the case in about 80% of the plays they have run this year, with the exception of maybe a quarter and a half against an average TCU defense.

When he is forced out of the pocket, in those rare occasions, the play is over and aborted: He is zero threat to run. That also applies to the RPO portion of their offense in which he gives the ball to the RB about 95% of the time. He cannot run, and he cannot throw on the run with accuracy.

Whether Penn State can change that, or not, is up for debate. The defense has not looked like it has any consistent nature, and at times has given up huge chunks, and at other times has not rushed the passer. Ohio State has a good quality offensive line but they are not Wisconsin either. Can Penn State put any pressure on Haskins? Will Penn State gamble as they have on other occasions and often been burned? Or will Penn State come out in base defense with zone, and force Ohio State to be perfect for 10 or 11 plays in a white out with a silent count? I'm hoping my last sentence is the way Pry chooses to start the game. They score on us, fine, but make them be perfect in order to do it. The best option here, is to make that bet, that at some point, Haskins first option might not be open, or someone breaks free in a lane and gets him out of the pocket. STAY IN YOUR LANES linebackers, and front four, DO NOT OVER SHOOT YOUR ANGLE from the DE pass rush. He isn't going anywhere, so go DIRECT to the quarterback as if you are playing Minnesota or Northwestern. That's how to play defense against him.

This system shut out Clayton Thorson last year, by the way. No, we wont stop Dixon or Campbell or McLaurin, they'll get theirs, but we want to LIMIT them to smaller gains and no YAC either.

As to the fan issue, I witness the most egregious behavior of a visiting fan family of four buckeyes years ago while tailgating. We saw them park their vehicle and the attitude reeked off of them. The waked through, better said barged through PSU tailgates right and left as we watched them apparently attempting to provoke something. I believe our fans were so surprised at their behavior no one reacted to it. Glad they didn't. This went on for 45 mins. As to the fan issue in general. I cut it up into two groups. General fans and Alumni. General fans, many who didn't attend any college look at PSU as another pro team from my perspective. More demanding of the program, the staff, demanding this and that, etc. Alumni generally are more subdued, not all, but generally. This holds true for buckeyes, wolverines, and hoosiers too. Having the tie to your school puts a different spin on your view of the entire program, its goals, intent, measures of success, etc. Just my thoughts on observing and speaking to various fans and alums of different programs over the years. Adding copious amounts of alcohol to the game day experience, particularly for a night game, only exacerbates the entire situation.

I have watched Haskins now in all four games and he is an excellent drop back passer when he has all day to throw and his first option is wide open. That has been the case in about 80% of the plays they have run this year, with the exception of maybe a quarter and a half against an average TCU defense.

When he is forced out of the pocket, in those rare occasions, the play is over and aborted: He is zero threat to run. That also applies to the RPO portion of their offense in which he gives the ball to the RB about 95% of the time. He cannot run, and he cannot throw on the run with accuracy.

Whether Penn State can change that, or not, is up for debate. The defense has not looked like it has any consistent nature, and at times has given up huge chunks, and at other times has not rushed the passer. Ohio State has a good quality offensive line but they are not Wisconsin either. Can Penn State put any pressure on Haskins? Will Penn State gamble as they have on other occasions and often been burned? Or will Penn State come out in base defense with zone, and force Ohio State to be perfect for 10 or 11 plays in a white out with a silent count? I'm hoping my last sentence is the way Pry chooses to start the game. They score on us, fine, but make them be perfect in order to do it. The best option here, is to make that bet, that at some point, Haskins first option might not be open, or someone breaks free in a lane and gets him out of the pocket. STAY IN YOUR LANES linebackers, and front four, DO NOT OVER SHOOT YOUR ANGLE from the DE pass rush. He isn't going anywhere, so go DIRECT to the quarterback as if you are playing Minnesota or Northwestern. That's how to play defense against him.

This system shut out Clayton Thorson last year, by the way. No, we wont stop Dixon or Campbell or McLaurin, they'll get theirs, but we want to LIMIT them to smaller gains and no YAC either.

The only REAL thing I would challenge you on is Haskins going for his first option. What I've seen is a guy that often gets to his third check down before deciding who to throw too. I would challenge the throwing-while-running remark; but honestly we haven't seen a ton of it. He's had solid enough protection that for the most part he's only had to throw while running if it was a designed screen. This will probably be the most pressure he'll face until the post-season so it will definitely be enlightening.

He definitely doesn't have the legs of the other Meyer-era QB's at tOSU. Don't get me wrong; he might make a great 10 yarder for a first down once a game when forced out... and his legs are good enough to extend a play for a bit... But he's not going to put up 100 like Barrett, or Jones, or Miller. He'll be lucky to break 20, and I can guarantee he will be taken down for a yard or two loss while trying to evade at least a few times.

I maintain your best overall bet is to have long methodical drives of your own that abuse our linebackers and keep our offense off the field. Looking forward to it.

It seems everyone who are fans of OSU have a friend that was in the marching band and had piss balloons thrown at them. Kinda like every Democrat has a friend that Kavanaugh sexually assaulted in high school.

Guy I lived with for a year or so starting my JR year. Played trumpet. Ohio States marching band refused to go to Happy valley for 9 years after that until the University offered them extra security.

Again I'm not trying to insult the entire PSU fan base here; my guess is it's just a couple of a-holes. But living out here in Philly and how everyone talks about tossing batteries and stuff at Eagles games... Doesn't seem like much of a stretch. Honestly it wouldn't shock me if Ohio State fans would have grown up doing something similar if the pro teams were worth throwing anything about.

disrespect?

Yawn....as if their opinion matters one iota to the actual outcome of the game? lol, they also think Urban Liar is Captain Righteous and an awesome representative of duhO$U... You just cant make up absurdity like this - welcome to the b1g shizhole, home of the teaveling homer clown show (aka Bill O'Neill's Crew).

Guy I lived with for a year or so starting my JR year. Played trumpet. Ohio States marching band refused to go to Happy valley for 9 years after that until the University offered them extra security.

Again I'm not trying to insult the entire PSU fan base here; my guess is it's just a couple of a-holes. But living out here in Philly and how everyone talks about tossing batteries and stuff at Eagles games... Doesn't seem like much of a stretch. Honestly it wouldn't shock me if Ohio State fans would have grown up doing something similar if the pro teams were worth throwing anything about.

Bud, you sound like you still think there are wooly mammoths out west. Even Philly doesn't throw batteries (anymore). Ive brought many buckeyes to Happy Valley. The tailgate is unmatched and the white out is one of the best venues in sports. Even as a Buckeye, you will have an awesome time. Check it out.

Bro, we get it. You are in love with Haskins and believe he is the next Tom Brady. I'm just saying that you have to look at who he is putting up those numbers against. Oregon State, Rutgers and Tulane are awful competition and OSU most likely puts up 50 points with your 2nd team. Those teams are that bad. Rutgers just got blown out by Buffalo and Kansas.

My last fanboy Haskins post.

It's more than just the gaudy stats. It's the way he goes through his progressions, his placement of the ball in tight windows, his touch on the deep ball. He's something we haven't seen in Columbus in a long time, if ever.

Does this mean he'll light it up in HV? No.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT