ADVERTISEMENT

Plenty of OSU fans predicting blowout

I will say one thing - there is a difference right now between the OSU fanbase and that of PSU. Since the start of the 2016 season PSU is 26-5, OSU is 27-4. We have played twice, each team won a tight game at home. Yet OSU fans expect to win every game. They believe they are a top 10, maybe top 5 or top 3 program and their confidence reflects that. Makes no difference if they give up 31 points to Oregon State or 500 yards to TCU. They still expect their guys to win. Conversely the PSU fanbase, with some exceptions, believes we have achieved this 2 and a half year run with smoke and mirrors. The wins over Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Washington, were all just a perfect storm and the more accurate picture of the program is a tough half of football against Illinois or Pitt.
So I have no issue at all with any OSU fan who expects they will win big. That's what fans of a big time football power should think. Sometimes they will be proven wrong, such as against Clemson and PSU and Iowa the past few years, but for the most part they do win big regardless of opponent or venue. As a PSU fan I would hope we soon get to that place soon where we act like we've been there before and expect to win every week against every opponent. I can already imagine the terror some must have thinking about playing Michigan because they looked awfully good against Western Michigan and Nebraska.
Hallelujah Ceasar! The Nit Nation should expect to win and when we don’t we need to be pissed just like all elite programs....

I have a feeling that Psu has been holding back some defensive formations.Micah Parsons meet Dwayne Haskins.Watching him run down the Illinois qb in the second half gives you an idea how fast he is.

And what about OSU's defense impresses you?
Their history so far of making more stops and creating more turnovers than our defense. I have no doubts that we will move the ball and score points. That’s not the problem IMO.

Ohio State is certainly capable of winning this game, but I don't see why so many think we won't be competitive. OSU has pounded Rutgers (who hasn't?), they beat TCU (Texas pasted TCU last night), they had a laugher against Tulane (big deal) and they hung 77 on Oregon State (while Oregon State put 31 up on tOSU).

Has Ohio State really been that scary? No.

I'd say Haskins is a big reason for the optimism.

76% completions...16 TDs/1 Interception.

We haven't had a passing QB like this. We've always had the running game. But when that struggled, we rarely could pass our way out of it.

The defense is another story, giving up chunk plays.

I'd say Haskins is a big reason for the optimism.

76% completions...16 TDs/1 Interception.

We haven't had a passing QB like this. We've always had the running game. But when that struggled, we rarely could pass our way out of it.

The defense is another story, giving up chunk plays.

Haskins has very good numbers, but against Rutgers, Tulane and Oregon State. In the TCU game, your D was responsible for a large chunk of your points.

Reactions: ralphster and Grass
I will say one thing - there is a difference right now between the OSU fanbase and that of PSU. Since the start of the 2016 season PSU is 26-5, OSU is 27-4. We have played twice, each team won a tight game at home. Yet OSU fans expect to win every game. They believe they are a top 10, maybe top 5 or top 3 program and their confidence reflects that. Makes no difference if they give up 31 points to Oregon State or 500 yards to TCU. They still expect their guys to win. Conversely the PSU fanbase, with some exceptions, believes we have achieved this 2 and a half year run with smoke and mirrors. The wins over Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Washington, were all just a perfect storm and the more accurate picture of the program is a tough half of football against Illinois or Pitt.
So I have no issue at all with any OSU fan who expects they will win big. That's what fans of a big time football power should think. Sometimes they will be proven wrong, such as against Clemson and PSU and Iowa the past few years, but for the most part they do win big regardless of opponent or venue. As a PSU fan I would hope we soon get to that place soon where we act like we've been there before and expect to win every week against every opponent. I can already imagine the terror some must have thinking about playing Michigan because they looked awfully good against Western Michigan and Nebraska.
This

Speaking as a Buckeye;

I would think the odds of tOSU blowing out PSU are super low. I COULD see it happening, but like 5% chance. I think the more likely Buckeye-win-scenario is a game where we win by 10-14 points, and don't lock it down until sometime mid-late 4th quarter.... or something akin to the last few years where it's a <3 game.

The OSU offense is arguably the best in my lifetime (born 1985). Haskins is on par to set tOSU passing yards and TD's single season records at OSU... in ten or eleven games. The Buckeye offense is going to score points, and while I wouldn't put a turnover in the impossible column, if you're banking on beating us from offensive turnovers you'll likely be disappointed.

For PSU to win they need to take advantage of our very suspect linebacker play. Short passes into the middle, and successful running back play. If you depend too much on McSorley passing downfield the solid-secondary paired with brutal pass rush (even without Bosa there are probably 2 first round picks on that d-line) will eventually make you pay. I believe someone earlier called it right; PSU will need sustained long drives that take advantage of our linebackers and keep our offense off the field. If you try to get into a horse race and chuck it down field for fast scores every drive, your odds of winning are going to drop tremendously.

Either way hoping for a great game. I think these are the two best teams in the conference this year, and PSU is easily (IMO) the best team on our schedule.

Reactions: pkg5002 and map-#1
I was in Venice, Italy last week and bumped into an elderly woman and her husband . They said the we're long standing OSU season ticket holders. They said they consider Penn State their toughest opponent and they hate the fact that this year's game is a whiteout.

Reactions: m48tank
Well said....we tend to dwell on the negatives all the time while other fan bases look at the positives. If we don’t believe in our team, why should anyone else?

Reactions: Howie'81
After Army taking OU to OT and ODU beating VT, what college football fan in their right mind would predict an OSU blowout of Penn St?

If anything, last year should give OSU fans something to worry about, especially on the road.

The OSU offense is arguably the best in my lifetime (born 1985). Haskins is on par to set tOSU passing yards and TD's single season records at OSU... in ten or eleven games. The Buckeye offense is going to score points, and while I wouldn't put a turnover in the impossible column, if you're banking on beating us from offensive turnovers you'll likely be disappointed.
But too soon to be annointing them the best in your lifetime. They haven’t played anyone.

Haskins has very good numbers, but against Rutgers, Tulane and Oregon State. In the TCU game, your D was responsible for a large chunk of your points.

I'll grant you most of the competition is sub-par; but trust us... Haskins is the real deal. I've been watching the Buckeyes since the mid 90's and he is easily the best passer we've had in that time. Even TCU he still went 63% with ~350 yards and 2 TD's. He may not be the best overall QB we've had in the last X years, but that arm.

Those numbers would be good vs. air. And he hasn't played a lot in 2 of the halves.

He has a huge arm and great accuracy.

Obviously the numbers won't be quite as gaudy vs. better defenses.

He threw for 350 against TCU.

But too soon to be annointing them the best in your lifetime. They haven’t played anyone.

That's where the arguably comes in. They definitely look the part. In years past where tOSU has turned out to be one of the best offenses, they didn't put up these kinds of passing #'s in the early tune-ups. IF (and it is definitely an IF) they keep this up.... Buckeye fans will be talking about this offense for years to come.

The last 2 years I was a lot more confident in this game. I’m concerned our defense may have trouble getting off of the field. Haskins has been lights out and getting pressure has been an issue. A 14-20 point loss is most realistic unfortunately.

Now if we are +2 or better in the turnover battle and Trace plays lights out we can win the shootout but I feel that’s what it’s going to take. I just don’t know if PSU is there as a program yet. It’s obvious on the roster talent that it won’t be very long though! Therefore I’m ok with it.

I can't see it being a 63-14 type blowout because we will score on them.

However, I could see something like 49-31 or 56-34. Not a total blowout, but not really competitive either.

PSU needs to score 50 points to have a chance for the win.

This is kind of the way I see it. We will get lots of points but will get stopped occasionally, probably trying to throw it deep unsuccessfully or getting sacked. On the other side, we won't stop them defensively nearly as much as they are able to stop us.

Anything could happen though -- some defensive stars suddenly align and we make some stops/turnovers. Light bulb goes on in some young guys, etc.

I agree with the poster that said we should attack their linebackers in the short middle. Rahne laid out the right plays at the start of the Illinois game. It worked well except for the fluke helmet to the ball and fumble. Why he got away from this I'm not sure. Hope we see those types of plays again for this game.

I wouldn't know where to begin on the defensive side. Haven't re-watched the game yet, but I will.

Reactions: PSUFBFAN
I can see 4 and 7 whiffing on Dixon and Campbell on those wide receiver screens about 7 times. Every one of those plays might go for touchdowns.

I have a feeling that Psu has been holding back some defensive formations.Micah Parsons meet Dwayne Haskins.Watching him run down the Illinois qb in the second half gives you an idea how fast he is.
I was thinking about that play where he tackled the QB at the sideline. It was after the game was in hand, and this wasn’t Michael Vick, but he really closed on a pretty athletic guy, and finished when he could have let him run out of bounds with a little push. I don’t think he has the instincts of an elite LB just yet, but he is going to be a great player for Penn State.

I think the key is gonna be special teams and PsU oline play. We finally have some dudes and they are looking to inflict pain. If we can sustain drives and keep haskins and dobbins of the field we pull it out late.

Those numbers would be good vs. air. And he hasn't played a lot in 2 of the halves.

He has a huge arm and great accuracy.

Obviously the numbers won't be quite as gaudy vs. better defenses.

He threw for 350 against TCU.

With a great year he could be a one and done.

Great insight into the psyche of a fan base. Unfortunately I am in the group of fans cringing about our deficiencies, rather than our strengths! Thanks for the post reminding me of my insecurity...I think

Final score psu 51 osu 48. A shootout we can stay with any team and osu defense has been shredded so far, they are young and inexperienced. I actually think Haskins will struggle with the noise and environment. It is his first time in a place where it is not friendly and all the pressure of a big game is on him. If he does then we win 51-31. There is said it!

Thought never seen day where where PSU fans would say the team needs 40 to 50 points to win a game. I really do miss watching a dominate defense.

Thought never seen day where where PSU fans would say the team needs 40 to 50 points to win a game. I really do miss watching a dominate defense.
But I don’t miss watching a boring offense that basically shut down once we got in FG range.

Reactions: m48tank
24-17 OSU at the half... final score 42-34 PSU

I think a good TCU defense, essentially at home, left it all on the table in a high profile Saturday night game, and OSU still scored 40 on them. TCU comes out flat the week after and loses to Texas. No surprise.

People are saying TCU lost to Texas, so the OSU win wasn't that great. Not sure I buy the logic. The state of the team is a big factor, and that gets influenced by what happened the week before.

If the TCU defense gives up 40 what makes you think our defense holds them to just 10 in the second half? Loud, white stadium?

If our defense does do some things to keep it close by the half, OSU certainly has the staff to make the adjustments at half time and score more than 10. They put up 20 in the 3rd against TCU.

When has tcu ever had a good defense. What a joke . I laughed when the commentators were saying that. They didn’t come out flat against Texas since they are in the same division they knew the stakes of a
Division win or loss . Osu is overrated! Now we need to play a solid game and get the win!

Reactions: ralphster
Possibly Caesar but I would counter that most of us on the BWI Board who discuss football (you, me and a few dozen on the premium board during weekdays) tend to call it as we see it. If we assesss the other squad’s experience, depth chart etc. and determine a loss is coming we say it. Conversely, I’ve never met a Michigan fan, for example, that has said they won’t win a game. We even joke that our own Nate is the only rivals guy who will pick against his home team. FWIW, I think it’s always been that way among PSU fans.

Reactions: Carl Spackler
Wrong decade. I agree with your concern about the defense, but there’s no way we should take an offense that’s averaging 55 points a game and try to go into some conservative Paterno era ball control game plan.

That’s a recipe for a certain loss. Franklin loves explosive plays so I think it’s a safe bet he won’t turtle up the offense out of fear of Ohio St. Thats a losers mentality.

if you just look at how our DEF has played against 4 pretty average to weak teams, it would appear that tOSU will easily score on more than 50% of their possessions. i could see them scoring somewhere in the range of 49-63 pts. it will be a track meet if we can pass consistently. It is hard to see us running the ball without a pass game.

I think a good TCU defense, essentially at home, left it all on the table in a high profile Saturday night game, and OSU still scored 40 on them. TCU comes out flat the week after and loses to Texas. No surprise.

People are saying TCU lost to Texas, so the OSU win wasn't that great. Not sure I buy the logic. The state of the team is a big factor, and that gets influenced by what happened the week before.

If the TCU defense gives up 40 what makes you think our defense holds them to just 10 in the second half? Loud, white stadium?

If our defense does do some things to keep it close by the half, OSU certainly has the staff to make the adjustments at half time and score more than 10. They put up 20 in the 3rd against TCU.

TCU defense gave up 26. OSU had two defensive scores. You can say TCU has the best defense in the Big 12, but that doesn’t make them an elite defense.

Something about a Whiteout makes Urban coach scared. Instead of playing to win, he plays not to lose. He did it in both ‘14 and ‘16. I think it could be a comeback win for the good guys.

TCU defense gave up 26. OSU had two defensive scores. You can say TCU has the best defense in the Big 12, but that doesn’t make them an elite defense.

Something about a Whiteout makes Urban coach scared. Instead of playing to win, he plays not to lose. He did it in both ‘14 and ‘16. I think it could be a comeback win for the good guys.
I agree. I think Penn State’s defense is better than TCU’s. But it wasn’t defense that cost TCU that game, it was the turnovers.

TCU's defense only gave up 26 points. Sac, fumble in endzone and a pick 6 shovel pass accounted for the other 2 TDs. The surrender cobras were coming out among the OSU fans in the stadium until TCU imploded.

Reactions: ralphster
Lotta people here afraid of osu. Talent level is on par... coaching is on par. This is gonna be a good game. Home field is a huge advantage. Stop living in the past and get the osu boogyman out of your heads. I swear, some of you think we would never beat osu. People here think osu is on par with saban era Bama, osu is about 10 rungs down the ladder from matching what Bama has done.

Possibly Caesar but I would counter that most of us on the BWI Board who discuss football (you, me and a few dozen on the premium board during weekdays) tend to call it as we see it. If we assesss the other squad’s experience, depth chart etc. and determine a loss is coming we say it. Conversely, I’ve never met a Michigan fan, for example, that has said they won’t win a game. We even joke that our own Nate is the only rivals guy who will pick against his home team. FWIW, I think it’s always been that way among PSU fans.
Good point Apex but more than a few posters were convinced we were going to lose to Putt. They based that on what they thought they saw in the App State game. It seemed none of them saw a good solid App State team,just a terrible PSU defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT