ADVERTISEMENT

Plenty of OSU fans predicting blowout

I live in Ohio and the OSU fans I know are very concerned about this game. The white out might be the best home field advantage in CF - certainly top 2 or 3

Reactions: Sharkies
In my opinion if a blowout, we would be on the losing side.

We need turnovers on defense and big plays on offense to win. I would take a flukey win.

I can't see it being a 63-14 type blowout because we will score on them.

However, I could see something like 49-31 or 56-34. Not a total blowout, but not really competitive either.

PSU needs to score 50 points to have a chance for the win.

We need turnovers on defense and big plays on offense to win. I would take a flukey win.
If it’s a game where we trade big plays, we will be out of it by mid third quarter. We need long sustained drives, ball control and clock control/ field possession. We need to keep our defense off the field.

We will hang tough. Can we stop them when we need to is the concern. With our graduations, they are the better team. Hence the ranking.

I'm worried about the Penn State defense against the high powered tOSU offense. Their QB is far better than Barrett, and Barrett shredded the Lions in the 4th quarter last year.

But the Penn State coaching staff seems to have the Buckeyes' number. A solid win in 2016 and a one-point loss in the 'Shoe last year. That one-point loss took so much out of them that they got blown out by Iowa the following week, which kept them out of the playoffs.

Reactions: Roswell-Blue
The majority seem to be saying something along these lines:
They’ll be a few point favorite
Our defense is soft, but the offense is good
McSorley will cause them fits
They’re concerned by their LBer play and our running game
Whiteouts are tough
Haskin, weber and dobbins are going to light us up
It will be a shootout

Reactions: JoeFi
If it’s a game where we trade big plays, we will be out of it by mid third quarter. We need long sustained drives, ball control and clock control/ field possession. We need to keep our defense off the field.

Wrong decade. I agree with your concern about the defense, but there’s no way we should take an offense that’s averaging 55 points a game and try to go into some conservative Paterno era ball control game plan.

That’s a recipe for a certain loss. Franklin loves explosive plays so I think it’s a safe bet he won’t turtle up the offense out of fear of Ohio St. Thats a losers mentality.

OSU blowout seems pretty likely to me. Not sure how this defense slows them down at all. Strange things happen in whiteouts though, like Sickels coming out of nowhere in 2016 to embarrass their O-line over and over again in a performance nobody saw coming. I'm hopeful, but not optimistic.

I will say one thing - there is a difference right now between the OSU fanbase and that of PSU. Since the start of the 2016 season PSU is 26-5, OSU is 27-4. We have played twice, each team won a tight game at home. Yet OSU fans expect to win every game. They believe they are a top 10, maybe top 5 or top 3 program and their confidence reflects that. Makes no difference if they give up 31 points to Oregon State or 500 yards to TCU. They still expect their guys to win. Conversely the PSU fanbase, with some exceptions, believes we have achieved this 2 and a half year run with smoke and mirrors. The wins over Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Washington, were all just a perfect storm and the more accurate picture of the program is a tough half of football against Illinois or Pitt.
So I have no issue at all with any OSU fan who expects they will win big. That's what fans of a big time football power should think. Sometimes they will be proven wrong, such as against Clemson and PSU and Iowa the past few years, but for the most part they do win big regardless of opponent or venue. As a PSU fan I would hope we soon get to that place soon where we act like we've been there before and expect to win every week against every opponent. I can already imagine the terror some must have thinking about playing Michigan because they looked awfully good against Western Michigan and Nebraska.

I will say one thing - there is a difference right now between the OSU fanbase and that of PSU. Since the start of the 2016 season PSU is 26-5, OSU is 27-4. We have played twice, each team won a tight game at home. Yet OSU fans expect to win every game. They believe they are a top 10, maybe top 5 or top 3 program and their confidence reflects that. Makes no difference if they give up 31 points to Oregon State or 500 yards to TCU. They still expect their guys to win. Conversely the PSU fanbase, with some exceptions, believes we have achieved this 2 and a half year run with smoke and mirrors. The wins over Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Washington, were all just a perfect storm and the more accurate picture of the program is a tough half of football against Illinois or Pitt.
So I have no issue at all with any OSU fan who expects they will win big. That's what fans of a big time football power should think. Sometimes they will be proven wrong, such as against Clemson and PSU and Iowa the past few years, but for the most part they do win big regardless of opponent or venue. As a PSU fan I would hope we soon get to that place soon where we act like we've been there before and expect to win every week against every opponent. I can already imagine the terror some must have thinking about playing Michigan because they looked awfully good against Western Michigan and Nebraska.
Fans expecting a win or a loss have never influenced the outcome of a game....and never will.

Ohio State is certainly capable of winning this game, but I don't see why so many think we won't be competitive. OSU has pounded Rutgers (who hasn't?), they beat TCU (Texas pasted TCU last night), they had a laugher against Tulane (big deal) and they hung 77 on Oregon State (while Oregon State put 31 up on tOSU).

Has Ohio State really been that scary? No.

Well put. Michigan, PSU, and OSU are paying their coaches a ton of money for results and their fans should expect wins.

Reactions: Carl Spackler
Meh. They had a fluke (OSUs definition not mine) win against a tcu team that got throttled by a mediocre Texas squad. We always play up during the whiteout. They haven’t blown us out the last two with larger talent gaps, they won’t this year either.

Reactions: ralphster
Wrong decade. I agree with your concern about the defense, but there’s no way we should take an offense that’s averaging 55 points a game and try to go into some conservative Paterno era ball control game plan.

That’s a recipe for a certain loss. Franklin loves explosive plays so I think it’s a safe bet he won’t turtle up the offense out of fear of Ohio St. Thats a losers mentality.
Did you watch the game Friday?
What did our offense actually look like? What were our rushing vs passing totals up until the time that Sanders left the game? How many offensive possessions did Illinois get the second half?

You make a good point, but defense still wins championships and big games. Right now we are not good enough on that side of the ball.

disrespect?
Nah, I think the Buckeyes will only lose by a couple a touchdowns of Penn State. Seriously though, I think it will be a tight game that Penn State will have to maximize opportunities (turnovers, special teams, sure tackling) in order to win.

Absolutely there are some fans predicting an OSU blowout over PSU. A tiny minority. They tend to post such things on fan message boards.

I live in Ohio and the OSU fans I know are very concerned about this game. The white out might be the best home field advantage in CF - certainly top 2 or 3
Agree. Especially without Bosa. I see a high scoring game with OSU winning by 10

Maybe I'm misinterpreting you, but I see no correlation between big plays on offense and a fluky win. We're a splash plays team now (that said, seeing our OL road grade a Big 10 defense Friday night was a lot of fun).

Reactions: JJTopp99
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT