ADVERTISEMENT

Please end all "Time of Possession" arguments now.

BisbeeMike

Jul 6, 2017
40 minutes of time of possession tonight. It is not a weakness of this team. And with ALL of that time of possession, it took a heroic final play to win the game with no time left on the clock.

Time of possession is irrelevant.

Reactions: VaLion'92
40 minutes of time of possession tonight. It is not a weakness of this team. And with ALL of that time of possession, it took a heroic final play to win the game with no time left on the clock.

Time of possession is irrelevant.

On average, across college football it's relevant. For some teams, though, there is more context needed. PSU has scored quickly in the first three game...which doesn't mean they can't sustain a drive. Today, they absolutely do I noted Iowa....yet still almost didn't win. It happens sometimes.

On average, across college football it's relevant. For some teams, though, there is more context needed. PSU has scored quickly in the first three game...which doesn't mean they can't sustain a drive. Today, they absolutely do I noted Iowa....yet still almost didn't win. It happens sometimes.
I disagree. In PRO football it's relevant because the professional game has FAR fewer total plays and possessions per game. In college football these games are marathons.

I think a more important statement would be that time of possession is irrelevant statistically if you aren't scoring points. It's a big point to if you wear a team down and win, but it's worthless if you lose.

I didn't see anyone wear out in that game on either side. Amazing game. Probably the most stressful game I've seen in a long time.

Reactions: RochLion
That is why I said last week the bottom line is to have more points than your opponent in the end. When we don't own time of possession, then it may be a bad thing with this offense. Imagine if we scored TD's in the first half. Game over at half time.

Reactions: BisbeeMike
Well, I'm a great believer in winning TOP, but as I said last night, I'll stop saying anything more about it.

However, I invite you to look at this stat sheet from last night. Incredible. PSU should have won by 3 touchdowns.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...o_pdf/2017-18/box_score/stats_20170924aaa.pdf
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...o_pdf/2017-18/box_score/stats_20170924aaa.pdf
Some highlights: PSU won TOP in every quarter (it's a fact, Jack), 579 total yards offense and 99 offensive plays (Iowa 273 and 45 respectively). 29 first downs to Iowa's 11. OK, only 6 of 18 on 3rd down conversions (still better than Iowa) but 3 of 4 on 4th down. That stat sheet is just a thing of beauty.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Well it's officially official, TOP is irrelevant because Gunny said so.

FACT!
LOL, Gunsy....
Female-Bodybuilder.gif

Reactions: mn78psu83
I felt that Moorhead had a great gameplan yesterday, and for the most part we executed that game plan and did own the time of possession. Where we had problems of course had to do with blocking issues on the right side, particularly tackle, which blew up our plays, and Iowa's length on the D line gave us more problems. We just didn't get those key touchdowns that would have finished Iowa off early.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT