ADVERTISEMENT

Players the are poised to possibly play a bigger role this year.....

LaJolla Lion

May 29, 2001
Cumberland line
I think JJ is a given, but here are a few more.

Charles - Physical freak, loads of talent...needs to calm down and just start playing football. Bad Special teams penalites, holding calls, and some simple drops. Some guys just get inside their own head early on and some can bounce back strong. Mike G should be his role model.

S. Toney - From everything I have read since he has arrived the guy is just super quick and hard to block because of it. I can see him in a Farmer type role on 3rd and longs and getting after a QB from OLB or a stand up DE.

Gonzo - Forgotten man along the OL that filled in quite well for a RS frosh last year. Does he make a permanent push at OG? Some interesting battles in the interior OL. Menet is the other guy poised to possibly make a push this year.

Wade - How early and where does he make his impact. Special teams, nickel CB...does he end up starting by game 4-5?

Simmons - We know he is fast off the edge, but will he start making his mark this year or next?

Sanders - Assuming this offense can play 4 quarters instead of 2 this year, does he take a step forward and get 5-6 carries a game or more. We all know SB is the man, but it sure would be nice to keep him fresh and healthy all year long. Same goes for A Rob.

Cam Brown - I think he comes on by the end of the year and really starts to make an impact.

Monroe - Seems to have the range we have been waiting for and the nose for the ball....does it show up this year?

T Stevens - If this team can put teams away a bit earlier...hopefully he starts to see more snaps.

Would like to see Polk, Thompkins or Sanders play a bigger role in the return game- punt and kickoffs try to make those weapons as well. Lot's of talent on that list Franklin is bring in the talent to beat OSU and Michigan.

Would like to see Polk, Thompkins or Sanders play a bigger role in the return game- punt and kickoffs try to make those weapons as well. Lot's of talent on that list Franklin is bring in the talent to beat OSU and Michigan.
Sleeper pick is with an outside shot...Journey Brown. There just aren't many guys who possess that type of speed...not just in the B1G, but anywhere in the nation. If they keep the shirt on I look for Polk to possibly make a dent there.

Last edited:

Charles - Physical freak, loads of talent...needs to calm down and just start playing football. Bad Special teams penalites, holding calls, and some simple drops. Some guys just get inside their own head early on and some can bounce back strong. Mike G should be his role model.

S. Toney - From everything I have read since he has arrived the guy is just super quick and hard to block because of it. I can see him in a Farmer type role on 3rd and longs and getting after a QB from OLB or a stand up DE.

Gonzo - Forgotten man along the OL that filled in quite well for a RS frosh last year. Does he make a permanent push at OG? Some interesting battles in the interior OL. Menet is the other guy poised to possibly make a push this year.

Wade - How early and where does he make his impact. Special teams, nickel CB...does he end up starting by game 4-5?

Simmons - We know he is fast off the edge, but will he start making his mark this year or next?

Sanders - Assuming this offense can play 4 quarters instead of 2 this year, does he take a step forward and get 5-6 carries a game or more. We all know SB is the man, but it sure would be nice to keep him fresh and healthy all year long. Same goes for A Rob.

Cam Brown - I think he comes on by the end of the year and really starts to make an impact.

Monroe - Seems to have the range we have been waiting for and the nose for the ball....does it show up this year?

T Stevens - If this team can put teams away a bit earlier...hopefully he starts to see more snaps.
I believe that ALL returning players will step it up a notch, as well as true freshmen like Lamont Wade, and redshirted sophs like Menet. This can very well be a National Championship season folks!

Sharif Miller - looks poised to have a breakout season. I believe that he will be our best pass rusher.

Curtis Cothran - was our best DT at times last year, I think he had a monster senior season and gets looks as a 3-4 DE by the NFL.

Koa Farmer - becomes a solid LB for us and entrenches himself as a starter.

Nick Scott - wins the job opposite of Allen and improved throughout the season.

Jon Holland - shows he is a capable #2 to Gesicki in the passing game.

TJ Johnson - gets rotated into the secondary and plays multiple positions.

Miles Sanders - learns to hold onto the football and gets the most carries behind Barkley

Lemont Wade - plays nickel and flashes

Reactions: 83wuzme

Good List.
I'll add...

Andre Robinson- gets over shadowed by Barkley and Sanders but is very, very good.

Tommy Stevens- possibly the best backup QB in the B1G. If he gets a shot, look out.

Nick Scott- May finally find his role as a safety and we need him, Apke is adequate but I really expected a lot more out of him.

Good List.
I'll add...

Andre Robinson- gets over shadowed by Barkley and Sanders but is very, very good.

Tommy Stevens- possibly the best backup QB in the B1G. If he gets a shot, look out.

Nick Scott- May finally find his role as a safety and we need him, Apke is adequate but I really expected a lot more out of him.

I think Scott starts or pushes Apke early on. He was a terror on ST's last year.

Reactions: BBrown

This might be the year we finally see both the kick and punt return units become a factor. (I've only been hoping for that for about 10 years). LOL.

Miles Sanders as well. Barkley is not going to have to carry the ball 30 times or more (like the IU game). I look for Sanders to cut into Robinson's carries and become the clear #2. I would not be shocked to see him still returning kickoffs, and I would also bet that he takes one to the house this year. ST has a lot of highly ranked guys that can not quite crack the starting lineup, which means they are hungry to prove that they can play, and that leads to return TD's.

Does he stay at CB ?

Good question. My guess is CB or Safety. I heard he was around 6'2" 195 so he could probably play
either position. I've also heard he's a big hitter.
Caveat: all these things "I've heard" are what people who know him and have seen him play have said. I've only seen
his actual play in the B&W game. so take it for what its worth.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Good question. My guess is CB or Safety. I heard he was around 6'2" 195 so he could probably play
either position. I've also heard he's a big hitter.
Caveat: all these things "I've heard" are what people who know him and have seen him play have said. I've only seen
his actual play in the B&W game. so take it for what its worth.
I liked what he did in the spring game. He seemed to be around the ball a lot for a CB. If he has CB athleticism but LB size and instincts you naturally think safety.

super quick may still be an understatement...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT