ADVERTISEMENT

Players not knowing the situation

republion

Mar 24, 2009
When Michigan broke off that last run for a first down to seal the game, PSU players need to understand the game is 100% over if UM gets the first down. You don’t chase the RB down from behind, 7 yards beyond the line to gain, to tackle him around the 10 yard like. At that point, you let him go and hope he’s dumb enough to score the TD. With 1:30 left in the game and no timeouts, your only shot after giving up the first down is to let him score and then try to score a quick TD, recover an onside kick, and score another TD. Absolute long shot, but gives you a better chance than tackling the RB and giving them 1st and 10/goal and no time outs.

I think it is only Penn State/ James Franklin that would go ahead and score a touchdown in that situation, and then lose the game. I only ever saw it happen one time.

I think it is only Penn State/ James Franklin that would go ahead and score a touchdown in that situation, and then lose the game. I only ever saw it happen one time.
2 totally different situations. Indiana was only down by 8 after that play.

UM would have gone up by 11 making it a 2 score game not one score. probably have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than scoring 2 times with 1:30 on the clock and 1 time out.

the Indiana play happened the same weekend in an NFL game. Vikings game if I remember correctly. rare but it happens

ADVERTISEMENT