ADVERTISEMENT

Player post-game interviews yesterday (link)

I also liked how Jason Cabinda gave credit to the secondary. Troy Reeder looks like he could still be in high school.

I also liked how Jason Cabinda gave credit to the secondary. Troy Reeder looks like he could still be in high school.

My issue with the secondary is they seemed to play a soft zone and gave up a fair number of 10-15-yard completions. However, they covered very well deep.

Is my criticism regarding the soft zone unfair?

My issue with the secondary is they seemed to play a soft zone and gave up a fair number of 10-15-yard completions. However, they covered very well deep.

it might be more a criticism of Shoop because that was the D he called and the secondary still correctly carried out their responsibilities under those circumstances. Shoop most likely, he is highly competent, could explain why he called a zone in those situations. An O will always get some completions. It was all moot once the DLine could into the flow of the game on passing situations. The pummeled Lunt. At a certain point you could see that he was a beaten man when he would come back to the sideline after another failed series. We could see it well because we sit in WE and he walked off the field right in our view.. He was shell shocked.

By the way, did you see the one play where #5, who was a bruiser, was in the open field and Marcus Allen squared up and drilled him 2 yards backwards. I watched #2 quite a bit yesterday. He looks like he has what it takes to play on Sundays some day.

Last edited:

And for years, I used to yell at Paterno because he played soft zone on the corners. Apparently, that is a Penn State tradition.

And for years, I used to yell at Paterno because he played soft zone on the corners. Apparently, that is a Penn State tradition.

It's funny, but I was thinking the same thing at yesterday's game. It shows that Franklin is a Joebot. ;)

It's funny, but I was thinking the same thing at yesterday's game. It shows that Franklin is a Joebot. ;)
It's funny. My friend and I were discussing that at the game yesterday. Joe has had more than just a little influence on James Franklin.

it might be more a criticism of Shoop because that was the D he called and the secondary still correctly carried out their responsibilities under those circumstances. Shoop most likely, he is highly competent, could explain why he called a zone in those situations. An O will always get some completions. It was all moot once the DLine could into the flow of the game on passing situations. The pummeled Lunt. At a certain point you could see that he was a beaten man when he would come back to the sideline after another failed series. We could see it well because we sit in WE and he walked off the field right in our view.. He was shell shocked.

By the way, did you see the one play where #5, who was a bruiser, was in the open field and Marcus Allen squared up and drilled him 2 yards backwards. I watched #2 quite a bit yesterday. He looks like he has what it takes to play on Sundays some day.

All good points. I didn't intend to imply that it was the players' fault.

Lunt definitely took a beating yesterday. Last year, the game changed when they replaced Lunt with more of a runner. The back-up beat Penn State with his arms and legs. Maybe he graduated or was hurt because Illinois left Lunt in there, despite his ineffectiveness.

I don't recall Allen's big hit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT