ADVERTISEMENT

Plans to merge state universities

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
SIAP - I just saw this in the Inquirer online. The Pennsylvania State system of higher education is planning to merge 6 state university campuses into 2. They’re not closing them. (Yet) These plans if implemented after necessary public comment periods and various approvals, are intended to reduce staff and save money through resulting operational and administrative efficiencies. Here is a snippet:
By merging six of its 14 universities into two new entities, the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education estimates it can save $18.4 million after five years and put the schools on a path to growth and financial sustainability, according to nearly 400 pages of planning documents released Monday.
Under the plans released as part of the board’s meeting agenda, Bloomsburg, Mansfield, and Lock Haven universities would become one new entity and California, Clarion, and Edinboro in Western Pennsylvania would become another. All six campuses would remain open and report to one of two leadership teams with integrated enrollment strategies, curriculum, and faculty
The goal will be to reduce the cost of a degree for students by 25% through “expanded program availability, high school dual enrollments, lower student fees, additional fund-raising achievements,” and other factors

Last edited:
Reactions: blair10 and Ski
SIAP - I just saw this in the Inquirer online. PSU is planning to merge 6 commonwealth campuses into 2. They’re not closing them. (Yet) These plans if implemented after necessary public comment periods and various approvals, are intended to reduce staff and save money through resulting operational and administrative efficiencies. Here is a snippet:
By merging six of its 14 universities into two new entities, the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education estimates it can save $18.4 million after five years and put the schools on a path to growth and financial sustainability, according to nearly 400 pages of planning documents released Monday.
Under the plans released as part of the board’s meeting agenda, Bloomsburg, Mansfield, and Lock Haven universities would become one new entity and California, Clarion, and Edinboro in Western Pennsylvania would become another. All six campuses would remain open and report to one of two leadership teams with integrated enrollment strategies, curriculum, and faculty
These are state universities not commonwealth campuses, but CC's should consolidate as well.

Any mention of the sports programs? Cal U is good at football. Clarion has always been really good at wrestling.

With online schooling the future, this is just a start.

SIAP - I just saw this in the Inquirer online. PSU is planning to merge 6 commonwealth campuses into 2. They’re not closing them. (Yet) These plans if implemented after necessary public comment periods and various approvals, are intended to reduce staff and save money through resulting operational and administrative efficiencies. Here is a snippet:
The goal will be to reduce the cost of a degree for students by 25% through “expanded program availability, high school dual enrollments, lower student fees, additional fund-raising achievements,” and other factors
Are the title and first sentences incorrect, or at least misleading?

Reactions: BBrown
Might want to take PSU out of this post.

Reactions: ThePennsyOracle
Those institutions are NOT affiliated with PSU in any way. Those are the PASSHEE schools.

So we could have WPU (western PA University, edinboro campus etc.). i guess all would stay independent sports wise and field their own teams. Hmmm....money wise it does make sense.

SIAP - I just saw this in the Inquirer online. The Pennsylvania State system of higher education is planning to merge 6 state university campuses into 2. They’re not closing them. (Yet) These plans if implemented after necessary public comment periods and various approvals, are intended to reduce staff and save money through resulting operational and administrative efficiencies. Here is a snippet:
"The goal will be to reduce the cost of a degree for students by 25% through “expanded program availability, high school dual enrollments, lower student fees, additional fund-raising achievements,” and other factors"

Save money for the students my ass! I'll believe it when I see it.

Reduce the cost of a degree by 25%. Right, believe it when I see it.

No consolidation necessary for PSU branch campuses. Some flat out need to close up shop.
My understanding is that the state legislature has long been the barrier to consolidation. ie any campus closures will likely prompt a reduction in state appropriation. Pennslyvania is already bottom 5 in public higher ed spending per capita, so cutting campuses would end up put PA in the realm of Louisiana and Mississippi

"The goal will be to reduce the cost of a degree for students by 25% through “expanded program availability, high school dual enrollments, lower student fees, additional fund-raising achievements,” and other factors"

Save money for the students my ass! I'll believe it when I see it.
I agree. The reduction of cost will just be a reduction of increased cost. Fiscal responsibility does not exist in those institutions.

Reactions: lionbacker
Funny how they never talk about reducing staff when enrollment goes down - and as mentioned does $18M really move the needle much?

Reactions: KanePoster
The entire thing is about reducing staff.
They do talk about reducing staff when you read the whole thing. The Professors and administrative staff are not happy and there will be a of resistance and political battles over this. No state rep wants to lose good jobs in his district.

A little off-topic....
I have a vague recollection that back in the 70s, Shipp had plans to rename and re-brand itself as the University of Southern Pennsylvania.
Anyone else recall that? Was that a real thing, or was it just sarcasm, or did I fall and hit my head (again!)?

Anyway, they could be thinking of re-brand along those lines: Univ. of Northern PA, Western PA, Central PA, etc., with distinct campuses of each. But probably not.
The big USP-Shipp vs. UCP (or UNP?) Bloom rivary games will be a can't miss!

We can rename the Mansfield, Lock, Bloom mess Commonwealth Universities of the Northern Tier, and make a mint off merchandising.

Discussion with the guidance counselor:

”Is my son a good fit for CUN- ?”

Everyone is in favor for reducing the government until its their job, or their relative's job that is in jeopardy. Bottom line, this proposal is a consolidation/reduction in name only.

Everyone is in favor for reducing the government until its their job, or their relative's job that is in jeopardy. Bottom line, this proposal is a consolidation/reduction in name only.
Agreed - no way they get rid of anyone - the PLCB laughs at you.

So the extent of the saving is consolidation of upper management (sorry, "leadership teams")? All campuses remain open so no cutting programs/faculty? All infrastructure costs remain? And that will reduce costs by 25%?

So the extent of the saving is consolidation of upper management (sorry, "leadership teams")? All campuses remain open so no cutting programs/faculty? All infrastructure costs remain? And that will reduce costs by 25%?
Except that none of what you just stated is in the plan.

Except that none of what you just stated is in the plan.
Sorry, I misread "All six campuses would remain open and report to one of two leadership teams with integrated enrollment strategies, curriculum, and faculty"

The whole plan becomes a big band-aid to save academic jobs in majors that have literally few to no enrollments at the individual campuses. Instead of eliminating the majors and saving the costs, they will use "remote learning" and other tricks to validate keeping deadwood majors floating. Lock Haven's enrollment in the science majors such as biology and chemistry are in the single digits, yet by using "remote learning" to bring in students from the other campuses, they can justify keeping the major, (and the funding), for a few more years.

I find it funny that some of the people are concerned what it will do to the community. If a business is hemorrhaging money like some of these colleges are they probably should close. No offense to my friends up north but who really wants to go to Mansfield? A number of years ago I had the University as a customer, they would accept anyone just to get them on campus and have a ton transfer or not even finish the first semester.

The entire thing is about reducing staff.
They are giving incentives to get faculty and staff that are at the upper salary levels to retire. For faculty they are offering an incentive of paying 2.5x of your unused sick days if you retire before July 1. For some people that is not an insignificant amount. At IUP they have been combining colleges in order to reduce administrative costs. They have also cut some majors that have small numbers of students. $hits getting real and getting ugly there. My wife saw the handwriting and took the buyout. She was there almost 30 years and it got worse every year. IUP also made the decision to go to a per credit system instead of the traditional system which has hurt them because you could go to Slippery Rock or one of the other PASSHE schools and get essentially the same education for less money. IUP also went on a building spree a few years ago that is going to come back to bite them. Building new suite based dorms when you have a declining enrollment and charging more for tuition just isn't a great idea.

Agreed - no way they get rid of anyone - the PLCB laughs at you.
Another degradation of the PLCB? Where we as PA residents get pretty much the best prices in the country on liquor and wine???
Why should I complain about the state stores again???

We can rename the Mansfield, Lock, Bloom mess Commonwealth Universities of the Northern Tier, and make a mint off merchandising.
So they'll be going all female then?? 💄

Yeah, that was chauvinistic but when the door is hanging wide open I tend to walk through it.

ADVERTISEMENT