ADVERTISEMENT

Place Your Bets — A Wrestling for Life Fundraiser

slushhead

Mar 10, 2014
We can be assured there will be ugliness on the boards over the next several days as the big PSU vs Iowa dual comes and goes. But we can also do some good with our fanaticism and prognostications . . .

Wresting for Life could use our dollars, and it is a great cause. If you like putting your money where your mouth is and would like to do so on predicted outcomes in the PSU vs Iowa dual, let’s try doing so here with proceeds going to Wrestling for Life.

We can be rivals and work together at the same time.

We can be assured there will be ugliness on the boards over the next several days as the big PSU vs Iowa dual comes and goes. But we can also do some good with our fanaticism and prognostications . . .

Wresting for Life could use our dollars, and it is a great cause. If you like putting your money where your mouth is and would like to do so on predicted outcomes in the PSU vs Iowa dual, let’s try doing so here with proceeds going to Wrestling for Life.

We can be rivals and work together at the same time.
Sorry slushy, dont see an option for this on that link.

Sorry slushy, dont see an option for this on that link.
I guess I could have described it better — the concept is to make bets in this thread with other board users. So, for example, if a Hawkeye fan were here and wanted to bet that Iowa wins the dual, a particular Hawkeye wins a match, Hawks win a minumum number of matches, etc., someone here takes the bet and posts the terms. After the dual, the loser donates the agreed-upon dollar amount to Wrestling for Life.

I just provided the link in case anyone wasn’t familiar with the organization or wanted to know in advance how their donation portal is set up.

I created an anlogous thread at tHR.

@jmadden1998 my young padawan, are you willing to step up?
giphy.gif

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
@WildTurk in Sept of 2020 there was a special match between Shakur and Sammy Brooks. Hawkeye Wrestling got $50 from me because of a bet we had. Want to do one for Wrestle For Life? It doesn't have to be $50, make an offer.

And because of that donation I get emails all the time. I was actually invited to the pre-match social this Friday afternoon, should @hlstone and myself attend? LOL

Last edited:
@WildTurk in Sept of 2020 there was a special match between Shakur and Sammy Brooks. Hawkeye Wrestling got $50 from me because of a bet we had. Want to do one for Wrestle For Life?

And because of that donation I get emails all the time. I was actually invited to the pre-match social this Friday afternoon, should @hlstone and myself attend? LOL
I gave the same but musta clicked something you missed.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
Strait up, or you need points? Lol
No chance on straight up. LOL! Nobody except perhaps my colleagues on HR are predicting Iowa to win. In fact, Intermat is predicting a score of 21-9 Penn State. Also, if there are scratches that throws off everything, so even with points it would suck for one of us if Cael or Tom sits one or more starters. How about we pick a few matches at say $25 each? How about 125, 141 and 174? I'm thinking PSU is favored in close matches at all three weights, but I think my Hawks will win at least one of them. If I lose all three it's for a good cause. Also, can we say bets are only good at the respective weights if the starters are on the mat?

You good with that proposal? Perhaps a counter-offer?

Reactions: Gray52
No chance on straight up. LOL! Nobody except perhaps my colleagues on HR are predicting Iowa to win. In fact, Intermat is predicting a score of 21-9 Penn State. Also, if there are scratches that throws off everything, so even with points it would suck for one of us if Cael or Tom sits one or more starters. How about we pick a few matches at say $25 each? How about 125, 141 and 174? I'm thinking PSU is favored in close matches at all three weights, but I think my Hawks will win at least one of them. If I lose all three it's for a good cause. Also, can we say bets are only good at the respective weights if the starters are on the mat?

You good with that proposal? Perhaps a counter-offer?
15 each on your three, 5 for each bonus point (all matches) and 10 for a U.C.

What about some prop bets?

O/U PSU match wins (5.5)
O/U Total Bonus wins (1.5)
O/U when Iowa fans start pleading for stall calls (the national anthem)
Interesting that you went with 5.5 for O/U. That's exactly the number I was thinking of throwing at StandWithPride. However, I'd rather go with individual matches just in case one of the coaches sits one or more of the starters. If Iowa sits any of it's starters things will likely get ugly in a hurry. PSU is already predicted to win 21-9 (per Intermat), so without starters...who knows?

Let’s bet 133, 141, 174, 197 and HWY. $20 if you’re guy loses. If one of the starters doesn’t go we can either cancel it or lower to $10.
I have another idea. How about a confidence bet for $10/weight class. You select the wrestler you feel is the best lock, then I pick. We alternate until we have picked all 10. $100 max exposure but unlikely. I'll let you choose your first lock. Interested?
giphy.gif

I have another idea. How about a confidence bet for $10/weight class. You select the wrestler you feel is the best lock, then I pick. We alternate until we have picked all 10. $100 max exposure but unlikely. I'll let you choose your first lock. Interested?
giphy.gif

With the first pick I select Aaron Brooks. I can choose Penn St wrestlers, right?

@WildTurk in Sept of 2020 there was a special match between Shakur and Sammy Brooks. Hawkeye Wrestling got $50 from me because of a bet we had. Want to do one for Wrestle For Life? It doesn't have to be $50, make an offer.

You know, I had some fun over on HR once upon a time playing "20 questions" to identify a wrestler who beat the crap out of me in high school. Somehow, I did not get on a mailing list, but I got a very nice, hand-written thank you card from (wait for it) Thomas Gilman. Classy.

Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
ADVERTISEMENT