ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburgh Pirates 2021 Season Thread

“The Pirates traded still-somehow-promising at 29 but oft-broken starter Jameson Taillon to the Yankees today, where he will join another lost Pirate jewel, Gerrit Cole, in their rotation. The actual trade of Taillon doesn’t amount to much more than urinating on the ashes of a burned-down house.”

2003 pirates payroll -54 million
2021 projected payroll - 54 million or so.

It’s tough being a Pirates fan that’s for sure.
The people need to very publicly organize a boycott. Show up opening day to protest and announce boycotting the games, the sponsors, the team clothing and swag, tv and radio shows. Cut up their Giant Eagle membership cards on tv, burn other sponsor’s logos. Have a website set up. Enroll people all day long.

Boycott his ski resorts and any other business he or his family own or operate. Hit them hard in the wallet. It’s the only way.

Reactions: TheGLOV
The people need to very publicly organize a boycott. Show up opening day to protest and announce boycotting the games, the sponsors, the team clothing and swag, tv and radio shows. Cut up their Giant Eagle membership cards on tv, burn other sponsor’s logos. Have a website set up. Enroll people all day long.

Boycott his ski resorts and any other business he or his family own or operate. Hit them hard in the wallet. It’s the only way.

Cole Dr's the baseball.

It's actually a pretty good trade but like any trade for prospects they need to develop and that's where the Pirates have the issue

That's something that was identified as a problem. And hopefully the guys Williams and Cherington have hired can turn that around. Scouting was the other huge problem. The old regime couldn't evaluate properly. Thus bad draft picks and horrible trades. Hopefully that is fixed now as well.

Cole Dr's the baseball.
He does but you could also clearly see mechanical changes and pitch selection changes once he went to the Astros. Watch the change in his glove hand and front side from pirates to astros. Ray searage changed him and made him worse in the burgh

He does but you could also clearly see mechanical changes and pitch selection changes once he went to the Astros. Watch the change in his glove hand and front side from pirates to astros. Ray searage changed him and made him worse in the burgh

Ray Searage was fine when taking an older pitcher and getting more mileage out of him. He was horrible with young pitchers. Changed them to the point of making them ineffective.

I'm hoping that when MLB decides to expand to 32 teams, that they will consider putting a major league team in Pittsburgh and Baltimore.
The county, as owner of the stadium, should sue Nuttjob for breach of contract. I am sure the contract calls for the Pirates to field a major league team. Sue them for breach of contract for failure to provide such, for failure to put on a competitive team, with theft of services for using the stadium in poor faith, for negotiating in bad faith, and should consider criminal charges of fraud.

MLB needs to step in and withhold their revenue sharing until Nutting spends enough to field a competitive team. Set a minimum of 60 wins as a floor for receiving the payout. 60 isnt good, but it isnt God awful like this team will probably be.

They are doing the right thing. A pitcher having much left after two Tommy Johns is iffy. It will suck for a couple years- but they will get the next two Number one overall picks, plus a loaded farm system with lots of pitching. They might get lucky in a few years. They are going to have to play it like Tampa- load up, hopefully get good, sign no one into free agency, trade good players for good prospects, repeat. Its their only shot. If they can buy out a year of free agency, that's the best they can hope for.

Just read an article stating that 13 players individual payrolls will be higher than the pirates. Trevor Bauer just signed to make $40m next season for the Dodgers. He will make more than three teams entire patrol including the Indians.

Bucs win! Bucs win!

Pirates given permission to start printing playoff tickets!

Official Pittsburgh Pirates Website | MLB.com
The Cubs strategy failed due to their own inability to hit against Pirates pitching. They were trying to walk as many people hitting in front of Polanco as possible knowing that he would strand the runners by either striking out at balls in the dirt or hitting into double plays. That, predictably, worked like a charm. It just wasn't enough yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV
The Cubs strategy failed due to their own inability to hit against Pirates pitching. They were trying to walk as many people hitting in front of Polanco as possible knowing that he would strand the runners by either striking out at balls in the dirt or hitting into double plays. That, predictably, worked like a charm. It just wasn't enough yesterday.
I know, I know. Go easy on me. Dumb question.Do you think they will have fireworks night this year. Good reason to go to games

All I can say is this GM is doing the right thing. It's going to be a rough couple of years, but with the amount of hugh end young talent he is getting, not to mention a couple #1 picks, they could be relevent in three years. It sucks, but it is there only hope.
Ben Cherington is married to the daughter of a good friend of mine. After he parted ways with Boston (winning a WS in 2013) he also left Boston with a stable of young talent like Mookie Betts and Brock Holt that emerged in 2018 Championship run. He and his wife Tyler had a home near me and I would run into them now and then. He had several offers after leaving Boston and chose to teach at Columbia instead. I'm pretty sure he turned down the Mets GM job a few years ago. I sense that he is the kind of guy that won't stick around if he isn't able to implement his plan and see light at the end of the tunnel.

I saw the title of this thread and immediately jumped to the end, because nothing I could read here would make the Pirates any more palatable. Their 2021 season is already over, but then it was over before it began. I won’t waste my time watching them play but will check the scores dutifully each morning out of an ongoing (almost 30 year’s) sense of morbid curiosity..

Where have you gone, Roberto, Willie, Maz, Blass, et al. from my youth?

ADVERTISEMENT