ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt's Recruiting Class is horrible thus far

Well, for what it is worth Pitt's class is better than Rutgers. I "hate" Pitt but when all is said and done they will have a decent class. Why, there are a ton of 3 stars hoping to get into bigger time programs. When those doors are closed due to numbers they will sign up for the next best which will be the Pitt's of the world. In short, not "winning" many recruiting battles against the big boys, just the Rutger's types.

Is this serious? Rutgers beat pitt on 9 recruits so far this year. They have owned pitt in recruiting. Only loss was Bryce Hargrove, an Ohio kid.
These Rutgers commits had pitt offers:
rashawn battle (pa) lb
phil campbell (nj) s
jarod hewitt (fla) dt
elijah johnson (md) ol
Nick Krimin (nj) ol
solomon manning (nj) Lb
justin morgan (ny) ol
tymir oliver (pa) De
elias reynolds (ny) lb

Whats with the lying?

Chris Dokish is a wannabe journalist. Pitt won't reach a bowl game this year. Losses to Iowa, ND, Louisville, GT, Miami, UNC are guaranteed. They'll lose a 7th in there somewhere.

Is this serious? Rutgers beat pitt on 9 recruits so far this year. They have owned pitt in recruiting. Only loss was Bryce Hargrove, an Ohio kid.
rashawn battle (pa) lb
phil campbell (nj) s
jarod hewitt (fla) dt
elijah johnson (md) ol
Nick Krimin (nj) ol
solomon manning (nj) Lb
justin morgan (ny) ol
tymir oliver (pa) De
elias reynolds (ny) lb

Whats with the lying?

Agree, his comment didnt make alot of sense to me, either. Pitt has to be on their plan D recruits at this point.

Now, now be nice. I'm sure Narwhale has a ton of sleeper 2 star recruits waiting to commit, so he can coach 'em up to first round draft pick status.

Seriously, maybe they're involved with a bunch of decent recruits who are waiting to commit until later. They have room to take some good kids and raise that ranking. It's a long time until February, as you know.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
Wow, the Pitt guy just got owned by RUTGERS.

Whats with the lying?

Goes to show that no matter how bad Rutgers fans can get, they have nothing on Pitt fans. That guy literally sounded crazy. He really needs to step back and evaluate his life. The ironic thing is, that when PSU rolls in a top ten class... "stars don't matter". Yet Pitt is a sleeping giant because of stars.

Chris Dokish is a wannabe journalist. Pitt won't reach a bowl game this year. Losses to Iowa, ND, Louisville, GT, Miami, UNC are guaranteed. They'll lose a 7th in there somewhere.

I like it better when they do reach a bowl. They've provided some of the funniest bowls in recent memory. Shady McCoy leading them to a 3-0 sun bowl loss, and of course last year, the biggest comeback in bowl history, giving up like 27 points in 6 minutes.

I like it better when they do reach a bowl. They've provided some of the funniest bowls in recent memory. Shady McCoy leading them to a 3-0 sun bowl loss, and of course last year, the biggest comeback in bowl history, giving up like 27 points in 6 minutes.

That program really is a train wreck. No one is better at choking away every opportunity. They are a national joke.

I mentioned it a few months ago. The B1G is swallowing Pitt. Pitt is on an Island surrounded by B1G teams in B1G country now. It is going to be tough for them to land kinds they want and it's only going to get worse.

I mentioned it a few months ago. The B1G is swallowing Pitt. Pitt is on an Island surrounded by B1G teams in B1G country now. It is going to be tough for them to land kinds they want and it's only going to get worse.

They won't do what they should... drop football, but they seriously should consider dropping down to FCS. There they could consistently compete. Otherwise you are right, it's only going to get worse and worse for them. They are too proud to do it, and it's a great thing, because we get to laugh as their program withers and dies.

They have to go back ten year's to have Wanney's recruiting classes averaged in to the mix. Wanney's obviously wasn't the best game day coach but firing him was a big mistake on Pitt's part. At least he recruited well and was a loyal Pitt guy. Now Pitt is merely a stepping stone for guys planning to bail at the first chance to coach big time football

rashawn battle (pa) lb
phil campbell (nj) s
jarod hewitt (fla) dt
elijah johnson (md) ol
Nick Krimin (nj) ol
solomon manning (nj) Lb
justin morgan (ny) ol
tymir oliver (pa) De
elias reynolds (ny) lb

Whats with the lying?

So, this post now has Rutgers fans arguing that their recruiting class in better than Pitts on a PSU message board. That's funny.

Reactions: WeR0206
They have to go back ten year's to have Wanney's recruiting classes averaged in to the mix. Wanney's obviously wasn't the best game day coach but firing him was a big mistake on Pitt's part. At least he recruited well and was a loyal Pitt guy. Now Pitt is merely a stepping stone for guys planning to bail at the first chance to coach big time football

You're forgetting that Pitt is a sleeping giant and Wanny was the one supplying the Ambien. Just ask anyone. HE NEEDED TO GO.

rashawn battle (pa) lb
phil campbell (nj) s
jarod hewitt (fla) dt
elijah johnson (md) ol
Nick Krimin (nj) ol
solomon manning (nj) Lb
justin morgan (ny) ol
tymir oliver (pa) De
elias reynolds (ny) lb

Whats with the lying?

there's really no debate here....Rutgers is killing Pitt in recruiting. I'm not sure that it means that much though....all those players you listed are from Philly, NJ, NY....so Rutgers should typically win those battles.

that being said, Pitt used to pluck a few studs out of those areas back in the day......but we're not back in the day:)

Reactions: CappyToCJF
They won't do what they should... drop football, but they seriously should consider dropping down to FCS. There they could consistently compete. Otherwise you are right, it's only going to get worse and worse for them. They are too proud to do it, and it's a great thing, because we get to laugh as their program withers and dies.

Actually, dropping down to FCS is not a bad idea. They could probably strike up a good rivalry with Delaware.

there's really no debate here....Rutgers is killing Pitt in recruiting. I'm not sure that it means that much though....all those players you listed are from Philly, NJ, NY....so Rutgers should typically win those battles.

that being said, Pitt used to pluck a few studs out of those areas back in the day......but we're not back in the day:)

ru comparing itself to pitt. Now we're getting somewhere. ;)

Reactions: bmw199
So, this post now has Rutgers fans arguing that their recruiting class in better than Pitts on a PSU message board. That's funny.

Im not even arguing that, since we won't know how these players will shake out in the future. My response was only on the topic of pitt beating rutgers for recruits, which just flat out isn't happening. Rutgers is murdering pitt in recruiting and over the last 10 years Rutgers has a 5-3 record against pitt on the field.
I know you guys hate pitt, but they aren't that bad on the field and they usually have a few really good players.

As far as this conversation between pitt and ru recruiting; it just happened to come up on this message board. Im sure as members of this board you would like as much factual information as possible, whether it come from your own fans or others.

To the poster who said Pitt is in a tough spot recruiting now since they are surrounded by B1G teams.. I agree. Its going to be hard for them to pull their A/B kids. The rise of the B1G will kill Pitt, Uconn, Cuse and maybe even Boston College.

See you guys in september.

Really nothing new or unexpected. Horrible fan base. Horrible facility situation - rent a stadium. Horrible campus. Horrible record for the past 30 years. Horrible coaching continuity. All this produces a horrible recruiting class.

I keep saying it. In 10 years Pitt will be a basketball only school like Georgetown. Football will be in the same class as Robert Morris and Duquesne. They will play their football games at a high school stadium, just like they play their spring game. The Steelers will get their stadium back.

Actually, dropping down to FCS is not a bad idea. They could probably strike up a good rivalry with Delaware.

Pitt doesn't have the history of Delaware. I mean... Joe Flacco went to Delaware.

Last edited:
Im not even arguing that, since we won't know how these players will shake out in the future. My response was only on the topic of pitt beating rutgers for recruits, which just flat out isn't happening. Rutgers is murdering pitt in recruiting and over the last 10 years Rutgers has a 5-3 record against pitt on the field.
I know you guys hate pitt, but they aren't that bad on the field and they usually have a few really good players.

As far as this conversation between pitt and ru recruiting; it just happened to come up on this message board. Im sure as members of this board you would like as much factual information as possible, whether it come from your own fans or others.

To the poster who said Pitt is in a tough spot recruiting now since they are surrounded by B1G teams.. I agree. Its going to be hard for them to pull their A/B kids. The rise of the B1G will kill Pitt, Uconn, Cuse and maybe even Boston College.

See you guys in september.

So now you're arguing about whether or not you were arguing, and in your reply you admit that you were arguing. That's even funnier. I don't disagree that Rutgers is beating Pitt in recruiting this year and really don't care about your head to head results. I just find it funny that you're doing it on a PSU massage board, followed by denying that you're doing it.

Reactions: ruready07
So now you're arguing about whether or not you were arguing, and in your reply you admit that you were arguing. That's even funnier. I don't disagree that Rutgers is beating Pitt in recruiting this year and really don't care about your head to head results. I just find it funny that you're doing it on a PSU massage board, followed by denying that you're doing it.

They R always here monitoring, lurking and reporting back. Hilarious that the addition of Rutgers is now quoted as the rise of the B1G: " The rise of the B1G will kill Pitt, Uconn, Cuse and maybe even Boston College". Nice list of some of the teams Rutgers hates and still obsesses over. Of course, nothing comes close to their obsession with Penn State. Their hate for TTFP is so profound that they rarely recognize any other team in the Conference, which by the way, they will drag down to the gutter, with their last gasp of life. It's what they did to every conference they were ever associated with. Vile fan base.

Sorry guys...but it's time to start worrying about our place in the B1G and quit dwelling on 50 years ago.

Were all 5 of those years when Pitt was still coached by Wanny? How about just looking at the last 5 years, when the coaching problems were really problems?

WVU to the B12 has to suck for them also.

Funny u said that, as Flacco started his college career at Pitt...

That was the point. He left for greener pastures.

Were all 5 of those years when Pitt was still coached by Wanny? How about just looking at the last 5 years, when the coaching problems were really problems?

I never mentioned 5 years, not sure what you are asking.

Reactions: m48tank
Some of the Pitt posters believe that it's still early and that they still will have a great recruiting class....can't make this stuff up!

That was the point. He left for greener pastures.

I never mentioned 5 years, not sure what you are asking.
I'm talking about Dokish's quote. Basically making the same point broey is at the top of the second page of the thread. I accidentally hit reply to your post.

The thread they made mirroring this one is just pure gold, Jerry. Of course the mods deleted it, because it was realistic about their recruiting, even though made by one of their own.

"We still have 6 months"
"These guys will get more stars this year"
"rankings don't matter"
"we've only signed 7 guys, of course our ranking is low" -not sure how that is a justification
"snake oil salesman"

Almost as good as them all buying season tickets next year so penn state can't get tickets. "I expect 55,000 season tickets sold." Absolutely classic. at $100 for season tickets Pegula should just buy them all and give them away to psu.

The thread they made mirroring this one is just pure gold, Jerry. Of course the mods deleted it, because it was realistic about their recruiting, even though made by one of their own.

"We still have 6 months"
"These guys will get more stars this year"
"rankings don't matter"
"we've only signed 7 guys, of course our ranking is low" -not sure how that is a justification
"snake oil salesman"

Almost as good as them all buying season tickets next year so penn state can't get tickets. "I expect 55,000 season tickets sold." Absolutely classic. at $100 for season tickets Pegula should just buy them all and give them away to psu.

You're forgetting the "our average stars in middle of the pack in the ACC" in the same post that claims that "stars don't matter".

Sorry guys...but it's time to start worrying about our place in the B1G and quit dwelling on 50 years ago.

They are on our schedule next year, so...did you say mean to say we should not dwell on one year into the future?

I mean, I'd prefer not to have them on our schedule. But, it is what it is.

Some of the Pitt posters believe that it's still early and that they still will have a great recruiting class....can't make this stuff up!

My current favorite poster on Pantherlair is 9Nationalchampionships who every time someone mentions Pitt's current recruiting class being poor posts the current date and the signing day date.......it's like the person is clueless and has no idea that the majority of Pitt's higher ranked targets have already committed elsewhere. You can make all the excuses you want about Pitt only having 8 verbal commits and once they get more their ranking will go up, but the fact that you have 8 and a lot of targets are gone means you will be landing 10 or so targets that were not your main guys. You can see it with who they are competing with for remaining recruits...mostly MAC teams, low level P5, and IVY league. If they do not land Hamlin, their class is going down the shitter in a hurry!

Isn't that sort of like arguing who is the tallest midget?
They are on our schedule next year, so...did you say mean to say we should not dwell on one year into the future?

I mean, I'd prefer not to have them on our schedule. But, it is what it is.

Sorry, but I'm more concerned about how we play against teams in our conference. I realize for the over 50 crowd this is your chance to be young again. However, reveling over the poor recruiting of a low level out of conference opponent is wasted energy in my opinion. I mean it isn't like they have been a threat recruiting either...so what is the fascination?

You have to give them credit for their optimism. Their recruiting class thus far is abysmal, and yet they think that they can wrestle Hamlin and Ford away from OSU, ND, and us. No problem.

They could end up with a few WPIAL kids like Wheeler and Hudson, since they apparently missed their window to commit to us. Of course, we could probably flip those kids if the situation warranted, which would be humorous. If God has a sense of humor, He will allow JF to flip one or two Pitt kids every February, like last year.

If a team needs a free message board quote from random fans of the opposing team to get fired up for the game, then they have already lost.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT