ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt

GreatBear71

May 9, 2005
Franklin said that a neutral site game was a possibility with Pitt some day. Sounds like 2025 is it with VT backing out. If you go on FBS future schedules, VT is scheduled almost completely in the 2020's decade, so if a home and home became available, it would be in the NEXT decade.

Pitt could also come up to State College in 2025, and PSU to Heinz Field in in 2028.

So Virginia, as well as Virginia Tech, has dissed PSU. Pitt will not do that.

Discuss.

No thanks. Rather not play Pitt. Find a relevant team nationally and schedule a home/ home with them.

That said, I expect Sandy’s ‘Associate Assistant Athletic Director in charge of last minute football game scheduling’ to get the call to schedule a Northwest Idaho Tech type team.

Like I said, they would have have to move WVU or ND to schedule at PSU in 25, and host PSU in 28, or seriously look into a neutral site game at the Linc in Philly, Fed Ex in DC, or M &T in Baltimore,

Franklin said a neutral site game. I think that would be ideal for PSU in 25, if they want a 1 and done.

Reactions: BBrown
No thanks. Rather not play Pitt. Find a relevant team nationally and schedule a home/ home with them.

That said, I expect Sandy to go the easiest path and schedule a Northwest Idaho Tech type team.
Relevant are we a relevant team nationally right now ??????

That said, I expect Sandy to go the easiest path and schedule a Northwest Idaho Tech type team.
You need your P5 School. Sandy will not schedule a lower level game. Big 10 requires 1 Power 5 on the schedule.

Like I said, they would have have to move WVU or ND to schedule at PSU in 25, and host PSU in 28, or seriously look into a neutral site game at the Linc in Philly, Fed Ex in DC, or M &T in Baltimore,

Like you said?? Where?? There would be no incentive for WVU to move their game to accommodate Penn State. And the Notre Dame game is part of the ACC deal so that won't be moved either. A home and home with a high profile team east of the Mississippi would be great. I'd pass on Pitt.

A neutral site game would be funded by Penn State fans selling out the stadium. Why should Pitt get rewarded for that??

Relevant are we a relevant team nationally right now ??????

In terms of national title or playoff- no. In terms of national interest for yearly big game match ups- yes.

In either case who cares? Just schedule someone remotely interesting. Pitt is not that team.

Reactions: doctornick
Have a hard time seeing someone forking over$3.5mm-4.5mm per team, which is what neutral site games pay these days, for a match up with ASWP. Otherwise, I don't see this making financial sense for PSU.

You need your P5 School. Sandy will not schedule a lower level game. Big 10 requires 1 Power 5 on the schedule.

I’m sure the Big ten will change the rules and make an exception for us.......

If not, then just have Sandy send some associate AD to mail the repeat request postmarked Columbus, Ohio. ;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Global Fan
Lots of NFL stadiums are conducive to neutral site games. Philly, DC, or Baltimore would be fine. Maybe the Meadowlands in New Jersey.

If we end up doing a neutral site game in 2025, I'd be fine with that, but I would hope it would be a far better/more interesting team than Pitt. Financially for the school, I don't think a neutral site game would be all that bad and going with 6 home games - it would be the town and business that would suffer more from losing the 7th home game.

Ideal world: Play a "neutral" game in Philadelphia and then get out of the stupid Temple home and home. Then we could play a real non- conference opponent in 2026/27

Neutral site games eliminate having to return a game. Schedule either in 25, or odd years, when PSU can still have 7 home games, like in 27, 29.

Lots of NFL stadiums are conducive to neutral site games. Philly, DC, or Baltimore would be fine. Maybe the Meadowlands in New Jersey.

That's nuts. Neutral site games are typically between two teams from different regions. A Penn State/Pitt neutral site game would involve a lot of unnecessary logistics considering how it's only a 2.5 hour drive from Pittsburgh to State College. It would make more sense for Pitt to accept a one and done payout for playing in Beaver Stadium. See Arizona @ Penn State in 1999 which I believe was funded in part by one of the networks.

As an aside, I could see the Va Tech game shifting to a neutral site (say, FedEx Field) in 2025 which might be considered palatable for both teams.

In terms of national title or playoff- no. In terms of national interest for yearly big game match ups- yes.

In either case who cares? Just schedule someone remotely interesting. Pitt is not that team.

Exactly. It’s Pitt who is begging to do play PSU not vice versa.

Reactions: psu00 and BBrown
Would much rather play a whole host of other schools to replace the VT game than Pitt.

Problem is looking at teams who have an opening in 2025 the best ones are schools like Tennessee, Virginia, etc. USC has an opening but is already playing ND and Ole Miss, so I dont think they would want to add another big game to their schedule.

Unless another series is cancelled you are probably getting a mediocre-to-ok game at best. If I were the AD I would be trying to get Tennessee.

That's nuts. Neutral site games are typically between two teams from different regions. A Penn State/Pitt neutral site game would involve a lot of unnecessary logistics considering how it's only a 2.5 hour drive from Pittsburgh to State College. It would make more sense for Pitt to accept a one and done payout for playing in Beaver Stadium. See Arizona @ Penn State in 1999 which I believe was funded in part by one of the networks.

The Arizona game was part of the Pigskin Classic series, which shifted to a home field when the game lost its main sponsor, Disney, a few years before.

Neutral site games eliminate having to return a game. Schedule either in 25, or odd years, when PSU can still have 7 home games, like in 27, 29.

Finding a venue isn't a major problem. Finding someone to underwrite the game is.

I'm trying to think of a good neutral site for Pitt-Penn State
The obvious joke here is that Heinz Field is neutral site because PSU always buys up all the tickets. But in all seriousness, PSU fans will dominate the stands regardless of where this is played.

FedEx might make some sense (big stadium, reasonable drive for both fans bases, both fan bases have decent (Pitt) to big (PSU) presences in the DC metro area.

And as much as I hate WFT games at FedEx, I had a good experience there when I saw the PSU-IU game.

Screw a neutral site game.....Pitt owes us decades of home games just to catch up from the imbalance over the many years. Heck, even prior “neutral” games were played in Pittsburgh making the imbalance even greater.

Re: Tennessee, they owe us from 1970-71. Time for them to visit Happy Valley.

Find a team that will do a one-and-done from a P5 conference. In 2008 Oregon State did it. Arizona did it in 99. Maybe a Wazzu, or a Utah type team would do it.

Find a team that will do a one-and-done from a P5 conference. In 2008 Oregon State did it. Arizona did it in 99. Maybe a Wazzu, or a Utah type team would do it.

Then Pitt doesn’t play PSU. Works foe me.

Penn State didn't "find" either of those opponentss. The Arizona game was put together by NACDA as that year's Pigskin Classic. Oregon State was arranged by ESPN who paid the Beavers a then hefty fee to come get beat up.

Would much rather play a whole host of other schools to replace the VT game than Pitt.

Problem is looking at teams who have an opening in 2025 the best ones are schools like Tennessee, Virginia, etc. USC has an opening but is already playing ND and Ole Miss, so I dont think they would want to add another big game to their schedule.

Unless another series is cancelled you are probably getting a mediocre-to-ok game at best. If I were the AD I would be trying to get Tennessee.
I would think Virginia would be better. At least that is in PSUs heavier recruiting grounds. Plus at least recently VA has had better teams than Tennessee.

I suggest we play Pitt at Pittsburgh Central Catholic HS. They get the entire ticket package and we get all the TV revenue. That way we don’t contribute anything to their budget and they still get about the same number of ticket sales as their usual home games. Down side is they will still get some national TV coverage but since it will be an ass kicking it won’t help their recruiting much.

Reactions: LemonEars
Screw a neutral site game.....Pitt owes us decades of home games just to catch up from the imbalance over the many years. Heck, even prior “neutral” games were played in Pittsburgh making the imbalance even greater.

Re: Tennessee, they owe us from 1970-71. Time for them to visit Happy Valley.
wow how do you want your pound of flesh there Shylock

Give me someone who we haven't seen.

TCU, BYU, Stanford. 2008 Oregon State was an interesting matchup, and ended up being a good win as they upset USC 2 weeks later.

Reactions: RickinDayton
ADVERTISEMENT