ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt to begin national search for new MBB coach. (nfm)****

I hear they're closing in a candidate.

12530659_1301257103224860_1178939929_n.jpg

Reactions: FightOnState
I hear they're closing in a candidate.

12530659_1301257103224860_1178939929_n.jpg

I'm sure pitt athletic supporters are convinced that pitt offers everything required to attract the best coaching candidates. Thus, they all will be calling pitt. pitt won't have to chase them down, let alone beg them.

Could be. A crook like Miller is just what pitt needs. Maybe he will find a way to snatch Pa taxpayer money and feed to players. Maybe that will set the stage for pitt hiring Mike Haywood to replace Narduzzi when he fails in a couple of years. If they can hire a crook for a basketball coach then why not hire a wife beater as the football coach?

Didn't they already try that?

Stalling is actually a great guy...feel sorry for him but screw Pitt. His 9 million dollar buyout should help him get over not coaching at that crud school...
Pitt does not want to pay him the $9mm owed, it seems they are firing him 'for cause'. Cause they dont have the money I guess, but because he yelled at a Louisville fan during a game....

http://footballscoop.com/news/football-coaches-pay-attention-college-basketball-firing/

Stalling’s contract — which Pitt offered to Stallings as incentive to lure him away from Vanderbilt — calls for him to be payed a $9.4 million buyout if fired without cause. Pitt doesn’t want to pay that, because paying a guy $9.4 million for going 0-fer is a tough sell to boosters and the public.

So the school is reportedly trying to fire him for cause. According to Pittsburgh radio host Colin Dunlap, Pitt has presented Stallings with an offer to take a $4.8 million payment (half his contractually-obligated buyout) or be fired with cause and walk away with nothing. And here’s the rub. According to Dunlap, the reason for which Pitt is trying to fire Stallings for cause is completely ridiculous:

January 2 loss at Louisville, Stallings turned to a heckling fan behind the Pitt bench and said “at least we didn’t pay our guys $100,000.” He also exclaimed loudly: “we didn’t pay our guys 100 grand, though.” The comments came after Louisville’s highly-publicized pay-for-play scandal.

Stalling’s representatives all but confirmed Dunlap’s report with this statement.

Pitt does not want to pay him the $9mm owed, it seems they are firing him 'for cause'. Cause they dont have the money I guess, but because he yelled at a Louisville fan during a game....

http://footballscoop.com/news/football-coaches-pay-attention-college-basketball-firing/

Stalling’s contract — which Pitt offered to Stallings as incentive to lure him away from Vanderbilt — calls for him to be payed a $9.4 million buyout if fired without cause. Pitt doesn’t want to pay that, because paying a guy $9.4 million for going 0-fer is a tough sell to boosters and the public.

So the school is reportedly trying to fire him for cause. According to Pittsburgh radio host Colin Dunlap, Pitt has presented Stallings with an offer to take a $4.8 million payment (half his contractually-obligated buyout) or be fired with cause and walk away with nothing. And here’s the rub. According to Dunlap, the reason for which Pitt is trying to fire Stallings for cause is completely ridiculous:

January 2 loss at Louisville, Stallings turned to a heckling fan behind the Pitt bench and said “at least we didn’t pay our guys $100,000.” He also exclaimed loudly: “we didn’t pay our guys 100 grand, though.” The comments came after Louisville’s highly-publicized pay-for-play scandal.

Stalling’s representatives all but confirmed Dunlap’s report with this statement.

I thought "cause" meant that you were in violations of breaking the law or NCAA rules? What law/rule did Stallings break?

I thought "cause" meant that you were in violations of breaking the law or NCAA rules? What law/rule did Stallings break?

None as far as we know. This appears to be pitt simply trying to get out of paying the buyout.

If his comments at Louisville were so offensive (they weren’t) then pitt should have fired him then, not 1-2 months later.

I don’t know how the pitt lawyers are allowing this to continue. Future coaches have to be noticing that pitt and their AD don’t honor contracts. Plus, when all is done, pitt may be paying out more than the $9 million.

Let's see... $9.4MM + attorneys fees + interest + misc court costs + loss of goodwill with future coaches + higher buyouts with more explicit language in future contracts = better than just paying the contractually obligated $9.4MM in Pitts eyes. I've seen only one bot worse than these bozos.

Let's see... $9.4MM + attorneys fees + interest + misc court costs + loss of goodwill with future coaches + higher buyouts with more explicit language in future contracts = better than just paying the contractually obligated $9.4MM in Pitts eyes. I've seen only one bot worse than these bozos.

Yup, whoever made that decision just shot Heather Lyke in both feet when it comes to her coaching search, not that she didn't have a tough task to begin with.

Reactions: bison13
Pitt does have some good young talent.
Marcus Carr is a 6’2” 170 pound guard originally from Canada. He played for Florida prep powerhouse, Montverde Academy last season. Montverde is among the top five high school basketball programs in the country. Carr checks in as a four-star by Scout.com, and is a three star by the likes of Rivals, ESPN, and 247.

Carr chose Pitt over offers from other programs such as Baylor, Cincinnati, and Virginia Tech. He became the third player of Kevin Stallings first recruiting class joining point guard Aaron Thompson and power forward Terrell Brown. There are still two open scholarships to fill in this recruiting class.

Carr is similar to Aaron Thompson in stature, but their games are a little different. Carr appears to be more of a “combo-guard” and is capable of playing off the ball, and that is likely the role he will play here at Pitt.
So far he looks good, and will probably blosson next season.

Pitt does have some good young talent.
Marcus Carr is a 6’2” 170 pound guard originally from Canada. He played for Florida prep powerhouse, Montverde Academy last season. Montverde is among the top five high school basketball programs in the country. Carr checks in as a four-star by Scout.com, and is a three star by the likes of Rivals, ESPN, and 247.

Carr chose Pitt over offers from other programs such as Baylor, Cincinnati, and Virginia Tech. He became the third player of Kevin Stallings first recruiting class joining point guard Aaron Thompson and power forward Terrell Brown. There are still two open scholarships to fill in this recruiting class.

Carr is similar to Aaron Thompson in stature, but their games are a little different. Carr appears to be more of a “combo-guard” and is capable of playing off the ball, and that is likely the role he will play here at Pitt.
So far he looks good, and will probably blosson next season.

Maybe Penn State should look at him since he has asked for a release from Pitt.

Reactions: mlvnsmly
Under Stallings, Pitt became an armPitt of basketball. Pitt happens when you get spoiled, and dumb.

That's so beautiful, it brings a tear to my eye.

From: http://www.star-telegram.com/latest-news/article204184964.html

"Two years after Dixon left Pitt for TCU, the Panthers are a perfectly fine mess, and the Horned Frogs are running toward their first NCAA Tourney since 1998."

I have to give pitt credit. They managed to destroy their basketball program in just two years. Kudos.

None as far as we know. This appears to be pitt simply trying to get out of paying the buyout.

If his comments at Louisville were so offensive (they weren’t) then pitt should have fired him then, not 1-2 months later.

I don’t know how the pitt lawyers are allowing this to continue. Future coaches have to be noticing that pitt and their AD don’t honor contracts. Plus, when all is done, pitt may be paying out more than the $9 million.
Are the Surma brothers on the Pitt Bot?

Reactions: psu00 and 91Joe95
I think Hurley goes to UConn and Pitt gets Tom Crean. Most articles have similar thoughts on Pitt. Its not an overly attractive job, and that they are not going to get a talented rising star.

I agree, I think Hurley is going to be able to get better jobs than Pitt. Only way Pitt can get Hurley is to throw out a pretty ridiculous contract to him, something in the neighborhood of 6 years, $20 million type contract that I just don't think they can do. But Crean isn't going to come cheap either.ncaa

I agree, I think Hurley is going to be able to get better jobs than Pitt. Only way Pitt can get Hurley is to throw out a pretty ridiculous contract to him, something in the neighborhood of 6 years, $20 million type contract that I just don't think they can do. But Crean isn't going to come cheap either.ncaa

Six years, at a salary more than what Jay Wright makes? If Heather Lyke has that kind of money to throw around, she could have made Barbour a better offer to continue the football series and received better return on investment.

If Hurley comes to Pitt, he just might be getting a pretty good team. Parker Stewart is getting a lot of notice lately for 3 pt scores.
Stewart apparently broke the old record of 58 set by some guy named Sean Miller.

This has been a bad year. Actually, it’s been downright miserable. But one of the few bright spots has been the emergence of Stewart, who’s gone from a wildly inconsistent shooter to one of the team’s most reliable scorers, contributing at least ten points in ten of Pitt’s 15 ACC games. And as the tweet above points out, he’s been even better in league play than he was in the non-conference.

I’d also argue that his play has been the most surprising aspect of the team. He was desired by a good many schools, including Georgetown, Kansas State, Georgia Tech, LSU, NC State, Wisconsin, and several others, but he wasn’t a highly-touted recruit at all. To see him contributing this much is kind of surprising - particularly after the slow start he had.

Stewart also has three more regular season games, so he’ll have plenty of time to pad his totals even more. Given that the record stood for 30 years and that he has the chance to add significantly to that total, it could stand for a very long time.

If Hurley comes to Pitt, he just might be getting a pretty good team. Parker Stewart is getting a lot of notice lately for 3 pt scores.
Stewart apparently broke the old record of 58 set by some guy named Sean Miller.

This has been a bad year. Actually, it’s been downright miserable. But one of the few bright spots has been the emergence of Stewart, who’s gone from a wildly inconsistent shooter to one of the team’s most reliable scorers, contributing at least ten points in ten of Pitt’s 15 ACC games. And as the tweet above points out, he’s been even better in league play than he was in the non-conference.

I’d also argue that his play has been the most surprising aspect of the team. He was desired by a good many schools, including Georgetown, Kansas State, Georgia Tech, LSU, NC State, Wisconsin, and several others, but he wasn’t a highly-touted recruit at all. To see him contributing this much is kind of surprising - particularly after the slow start he had.

Stewart also has three more regular season games, so he’ll have plenty of time to pad his totals even more. Given that the record stood for 30 years and that he has the chance to add significantly to that total, it could stand for a very long time.

Oh ya he asked for his release too. Poor Pitt

Do you have an original thought???

https://www.cardiachill.com/2018/2/...rgh-panthers-2018-sean-miller-kevin-stallings

Pitt is expecting Devin Danielson to explode as a DT this fall. Word is that he is now a solid 325 lbs with 4.8 speed.

Danielson becomes the fourth WPIAL lineman from the 2018 class to pick Pitt. Butler's Jake Kradel and Belle Vernon's Blake Zubovic chose the Panthers over other Power 5 schools.

The 3-star Rivals recruit's list of scholarship offers included West Virginia, Iowa and Wisconsin, along with Louisville, Michigan State, UCLA and others. What swayed Danielson toward Pitt was his confidence in Narduzzi's staff.

"They're bringing Pitt up to a new level," he said. "It's getting back to where it was. I think they're doing good and it's a program I want to be a part of."

Pitt is expecting Devin Danielson to explode as a DT this fall. Word is that he is now a solid 325 lbs with 4.8 speed.

Danielson becomes the fourth WPIAL lineman from the 2018 class to pick Pitt. Butler's Jake Kradel and Belle Vernon's Blake Zubovic chose the Panthers over other Power 5 schools.

The 3-star Rivals recruit's list of scholarship offers included West Virginia, Iowa and Wisconsin, along with Louisville, Michigan State, UCLA and others. What swayed Danielson toward Pitt was his confidence in Narduzzi's staff.

"They're bringing Pitt up to a new level," he said. "It's getting back to where it was. I think they're doing good and it's a program I want to be a part of."

2063482_1.jpg

I have got to believe you are a Penn State Fan who is just messing with us - even a Pitt Fan can't be this stupid, or can he/she??????????

Danielson, Kradel and Zubovic -- that makes three. Is the fourth not worth mentioning? That forgettable? Who is the fourth?

What has hurt Pitt Basketball was the end of the Big East. That conference was and I95 corridor conference, which means most of the talent from New England, NYC, Philly, NJ,DC and Baltimore went to the Big East schools. Teams like Pitt, Syracuse, West Virginia UCONN could go into NYC, Pilly, DC and get the best players in the city. Now look what has happened to Pitt, Syracuse UCONN not even close to what they were a decade ago

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT