ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Inbounds Pass

Last edited:
Pitt and Boston College are just a bad fit for the ACC. The ACC is UNC and Duke, with cameo appearances by Miami and NC State now and then, which is why Maryland bolted for the B1G. Pitt and the others have about as much chance of success in the ACC as the Washington Generals have against the Harlem Globetrotters. If Pitt were smart (ha) they would pull the plug on football and go back to the Big East.

Pitt and Boston College are just a bad fit for the ACC. The ACC is UNC and Duke, with cameo appearances by Miami and NC State now and then, which is why Maryland bolted for the B1G. Pitt and the others have about as much chance of success in the ACC as the Washington Generals have against the Harlem Globetrotters. If Pitt were smart (ha) they would pull the plug on football and go back to the Big East.
They'd struggle just as badly in the new Big East. They have no one left that could rekindle the recruiting pipelines that went away when the joined the ACC. They'd be better served dropping to the Atlantic 10 where they may be able to compete in basketball and other sports.

The ACC was supposed to be their ticket to big time college sports but both Pitt and the ACC really screwed the pooch on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

What happened to maryland? Did leaving the ACC hurt their program? The wrong coach?

Pitt and the others have about as much chance of success in the ACC as the Washington Generals have against the Harlem Globetrotters.

Just curious why Pitt is such a failure in the ACC but so many feel Penn State would be a better fit in the ACC than the B1G.

If the people running Pitt were smart, they'd have jobs at Penn State.

Reactions: nittany dave
That's funny. I watched two games this weekend: 7th grade girls B team and 8th grade girls deep B team. I didn't see an inbounds pass as bad as that.

I get that Penn State > Pitt. But this was the original post.

The ACC is UNC and Duke, with cameo appearances by Miami and NC State now and then, which is why Maryland bolted for the B1G.

If the ACC is Duke and North Carolina, what gives us a chance to succeed? I realize this is a basketball statement. But why would we be able to compete with FSU and Clemson for top talent in ACC territory? To me it has always seemed like we are a lot more like the B1G schools and athletic departments than the ACC. So just curious what others think.

If the ACC is Duke and North Carolina, what gives us a chance to succeed? I realize this is a basketball statement. But why would we be able to compete with FSU and Clemson for top talent in ACC territory? To me it has always seemed like we are a lot more like the B1G schools and athletic departments than the ACC. So just curious what others think.
Prior to the addition of Maryland and Rutgers we were on an island within the B1G. The geography was obvious but a large portion of our alumni base was outside of the conference footprint. One of the main arguments for being in the ACC was being able to connect with alumni. Maryland (22,000+) and New Jersey (29,000+) are home to two of the largest alumni populations outside of PA so that problem is somewhat remedied.

From strictly an athletics point of view, the B1G is far and away better for Penn State than is the ACC. It has nothing to do with the competitiveness of either conference as a whole but rather the sports which are sponsored and the potential of any school to be competitive in a given sport. Obviously the B1G is a great showcase for wrestling and ice hockey, not so much for the ACC. And imagine Penn State baseball and softball in the ACC. The advantages of being a warm weather school in those sports are easy to understand. Being with schools which face the same weather issues evens the playing field.

Last edited:
Reactions: WDLion and MJG-90

Penn State is a lot more like the B1G schools academically as well, aside from similar origins. Without having to name names, some of the ACC schools are nowhere near Penn State.

Penn State is a lot more like the B1G schools academically as well, aside from similar origins. Without having to name names, some of the ACC schools are nowhere near Penn State.

FSU and Clemson are the only football schools in the ACC. Maybe VT. I cant think of another. Recruitng probably wouldnt be hard.

ADVERTISEMENT