ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt fans say the darndest things

PSU playing Pitt in football, nowadays, is like sex with your ex. It's just a bad idea. It seems OK at the moment, perhaps, but after reflection the participants are full of self-loathing.

Well, at least we are. Pitt's like the ex who hopes that by having sex, they will win back their estranged lover. It never works out that way.

You have no one to blame for 15 years of no games but the Pitt AD. In the 90s, Pitt refused longer term series (with games shifted to PSU to make the economics work), and short term series. Joe Paterno could not make Pitt want to play. Joe was the coach when Pitt finally caved and the current series was scheduled. Face it, Pitt prefers pretending they want to play and complaining about it not happening, to actually playing. History proves that.

Why would Pitt ever want to play PSU? PSU has won 9 of the last 11 games. Pitt's only wins were against one of the worst PSU squads ever (2000), and against an injury depleted roster that still should have won the game (2016), but twice handed it to Pitt. 2019 will not be kind to the Panthers either.
NO POWER SCHOOL, or BCS SCHOOL back then, is going to agree to an uneven series. Period.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Joe tried doing this, uneven series, with all of the old Eastern Independents. The only one who agreed to that was Temple. Your 2 for 1 with them became 5 for 2. Joe offered Syracuse a 6 for 4. It never happened. You have not played WVU for a long time. I will be 32 yrs when you finally play a home and home in the next decade.

PSU playing Pitt in football, nowadays, is like sex with your ex. It's just a bad idea. It seems OK at the moment, perhaps, but after reflection the participants are full of self-loathing.

Well, at least we are. Pitt's like the ex who hopes that by having sex, they will win back their estranged lover. It never works out that way.
That is if your ex is fat and ugly.

Reactions: krichards
You have no one to blame for 15 years of no games but the Pitt AD. In the 90s, Pitt refused longer term series (with games shifted to PSU to make the economics work), and short term series. Joe Paterno could not make Pitt want to play. Joe was the coach when Pitt finally caved and the current series was scheduled. Face it, Pitt prefers pretending they want to play and complaining about it not happening, to actually playing. History proves that.

Why would Pitt ever want to play PSU? PSU has won 9 of the last 11 games. Pitt's only wins were against one of the worst PSU squads ever (2000), and against an injury depleted roster that still should have won the game (2016), but twice handed it to Pitt. 2019 will not be kind to the Panthers either.
Steve Pederson, our AD at the time, wanted to sign a 30 game contract home and home

NO POWER SCHOOL, or BCS SCHOOL back then, is going to agree to an uneven series. Period.

1) We are talking about Pitt, not a “POWER SCHOOL”.

2) Name any other pair of schools that have a such an unbalanced history of where the games where played, and one of this schools currently plays a 9 game conference schedule. I’ll wait.

Steve Pederson, our AD at the time, wanted to sign a 30 game contract home and home

Maybe, but it was probably unfair to PSU, with both schools getting equal home games, ignoring the history of the series. Link?

Why should PSU sacrifice for the sake of Pitt? You really think PSU should take a hit on their OOC schedule and give up revenue for Pitt? Most of the games have been played in Pittsburgh, PSU has sacrificed enough for the series. PSU has also dominated it... its time to walk away.

The series is over. Most at PSU don't care about it. You are like a stalking ex. Move on. I hope you and yours enjoy the last game. It will give you something to talk about for the next 20 years since playing PSU is SO important. Imagine if Pitt wins and how your life will be changed forever. Pitt will become a legitimate BCS power for the next 20 plus years, and your recruiting will become top 10 every year. Then I am sure that PSU will come begging Pitt for a 30 game home and home. Oh wait, that happened with the first game of the series and nothing happened.

1) We are talking about Pitt, not a “POWER SCHOOL”.

2) Name any other pair of schools that have a such an unbalanced history of where the games where played, and one of this schools currently plays a 9 game conference schedule. I’ll wait.

Maybe, but it was probably unfair to PSU, with both schools getting equal home games, ignoring the history of the series. Link?

Why should PSU sacrifice for the sake of Pitt? You really think PSU should take a hit on their OOC schedule and give up revenue for Pitt? Most of the games have been played in Pittsburgh, PSU has sacrificed enough for the series. PSU has also dominated it... its time to walk away.
Pitt IS a Power School.

Way back, Penn State wanted to play in Pittsburgh for recruiting, and Pitt split the revenue with Penn State.
Really? Care to share a link to this sPitt made-up legend. I'll wait...but while I'm waiting do you care to explain why sPitt wouldn't back JoePa's Eastern Conference proposal, which ultimately lead to sPitt becoming totally irrelevant. Any BS you decide to type needs to backed up by data that isn't some spitt supporters fantasy.

Cool Lurker, I see where your comming from. You're a proctologist, right? :p

Reactions: GulfCoastLion
Way back, Penn State wanted to play in Pittsburgh for recruiting, and Pitt split the revenue with Penn State.

Link to your Pitt myths? The truth is that PSU did what they had to do to make the game happen. Today, Pitt wants to play Penn State for recruiting. But they won't do what is necessary to make it happen, and they've likely lost their chance. The truth is, Pitt would rather not play PSU, but pretend they want to, so they can complain about it. I think Pitt also understands that the novelty of the series will wear off very fast. Pitt fans get sick of 45 point home losses in a stadium half full of PSU fans, PSU fans get sick of Pitt fans. The demand for the 2018 game was significantly less than in 2016. If there was a 2020 game the trend would continue.

As for revenue. Pitt's schedule is putrid, playing in the worst P5 division, and let's not forget powerhouses Ohio and Delaware. Their actual attendance is on the order of 1/3 to 1/2 capacity for most games. Playing PSU at home brings in a ton of revenue for Pitt. Not only does it guarantee a sell-out and increased concessions for one game, but since they screw everyone by making people buy season tickets to get PSU tickets... it has an effect on the entire season's ticket sales. So while I don't believe that Pitt split revenue with PSU, there is no need for PSU to split revenue with Pitt. Especially when you consider how Pitt is screwing PSU fans who want to buy tickets.

Pitt IS a Power School.

"...Said nobody ever."

Link to your Pitt myths? The truth is that PSU did what they had to do to make the game happen. Today, Pitt wants to play Penn State for recruiting. But they won't do what is necessary to make it happen, and they've likely lost their chance. The truth is, Pitt would rather not play PSU, but pretend they want to, so they can complain about it. I think Pitt also understands that the novelty of the series will wear off very fast. Pitt fans get sick of 45 point home losses in a stadium half full of PSU fans, PSU fans get sick of Pitt fans. The demand for the 2018 game was significantly less than in 2016. If there was a 2020 game the trend would continue.

As for revenue. Pitt's schedule is putrid, playing in the worst P5 division, and let's not forget powerhouses Ohio and Delaware. Their actual attendance is on the order of 1/3 to 1/2 capacity for most games. Playing PSU at home brings in a ton of revenue for Pitt. Not only does it guarantee a sell-out and increased concessions for one game, but since they screw everyone by making people buy season tickets to get PSU tickets... it has an effect on the entire season's ticket sales. So while I don't believe that Pitt split revenue with PSU, there is no need for PSU to split revenue with Pitt. Especially when you consider how Pitt is screwing PSU fans who want to buy tickets.

"...Said nobody ever."
Duzz may have tried to say it.....but his tongue gets twisted and he becomes incoherent.

Go read the Last One Left Please Turn Out The Lights thread where Pitt fans discuss the state of journalism in the U.S. It is rich — when you think about it the Sandusky scandal.

GreatBear71 is correct, WE ARE despicable. WE ARE totally responsible for the agonizing demise of Pitt football. As such the BOT should immediately self report us to the NCAA and ESPN. Concurrently they should cut a check for $500 million payable to the Pitt athletic dept. Furthermore, Franklin and his staff must devote all future recruiting efforts solely towards Pitts 2020 class. Also as a condition of acceptance and continued good standing, all PSU students must attend all Pitt home games and continuously chant “ Penn State Sucks “. PSU students must also pay for their beverage at the games conclusion. Only then may we begin to cleanse our bodies and souls of the damage we have caused the Pitt football program.

Reactions: Lefty Hill
Pitt IS a Power School.

IMG_8359.jpg

No doubt.

"...Said nobody who is sane ever."

Now they’re saying their defense will be as good as Clemson and Miami because Duzz finally has all his guys. I guess it doesn’t matter if a coach recruits one and two stars as long as they’re his guys.

Now they’re saying their defense will be as good as Clemson and Miami because Duzz finally has all his guys. I guess it doesn’t matter if a coach recruits one and two stars as long as they’re his guys.
For those of us that love a good laugh there will be scores of these boundlessly enthusiastic proclamations until early September. That’s when reality hits and the roof caves in.

Last edited:
For those of us that love a good laugh there will be scores of these boundlessly enthusiastic proclamations until early September. That’s when reality hits and the roof caves in.

RaleighPittFanSophomore

We realistically might not give up more than 21 points the entire year. From top to bottom we are stacked with playmakers. Good luck to opposing offenses against us.

I'm guessing you're in either Alaska, California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont, Washington, or DC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cannabis_by_U.S._jurisdiction

daminals76Heisman Candidate

Great post. Definitely a talent level that has steadily improved/matured. I am still not convinced that this style of defense is appropriate for ACC football. I hope I am wrong about that. If they can’t shut down the pass in cover 1 with the current talent pool, might be time to re-evaluate the defensive philosophy.

Exactly... it may work in the Little 10, but the ACC is a different beast with better programs, better talent, and much better QB play.

daminals76Heisman Candidate

Great post. Definitely a talent level that has steadily improved/matured. I am still not convinced that this style of defense is appropriate for ACC football. I hope I am wrong about that. If they can’t shut down the pass in cover 1 with the current talent pool, might be time to re-evaluate the defensive philosophy.

Exactly... it may work in the Little 10, but the ACC is a different beast with better programs, better talent, and much better QB play.
Yeah, the bozo’s at the Lair are really going to have to work hard to top that one. However they still have four months left to engage in fantasy and dreams. I imagine that this one won’t even be in the top ten by then.

Yeah, the bozo’s at the Lair are really going to have to work hard to top that one. However they still have four months left to engage in fantasy and dreams. I imagine that this one won’t even be in the top ten by then.
They seem really optimistic this year. They don't think they'll give up more than 20 points to any opponent all year. Guess we're in trouble.

Unfortunately, Penn State’s refusal to continue the series will lead to what will be known as the Great Keychain Drought of Western PA.
Of course continuing to play would also lead to a keychain drought considering recruiting trends.

A keychain isn't big enough to have this engraved.."We lost as many as we won.....and still got a trophy."

ADVERTISEMENT