ADVERTISEMENT

PITT beats Ohio State in Covelli center

PSUwrestling

May 19, 2023
I have been closely monitoring FLO for this headline and so far they just can't do it. It was an awesome dual (way better than Iowa vs Iowa State). PITT has some brawlers from PA and OSU's young bucks need to buck up. I don't have anything against the athletes on this team. And have really appreciated the fight they brought to our competition in the Synder Bo Jordan days. But God do I love watching Tan Tom eat crow.

The most satisfying result is Cole Matthews over Jesse Mendez to slow down the Mendez hype train a little. Matthews came in 3-3 with losses to Danny Pucino, Kal Miller and josh Koderhandt,
Shit, takes a bit of the drama away from BoBar/Mendez meeting.

Nice win by Pitt

No. 19 Pitt 21, No. 5 Ohio State 13

125: Colton Camacho (Pitt) dec. No. 22 Brendan McCrone (OSU), 14-9 (Pitt leads, 3-0)

133: No. 12 Nic Bouzakis (OSU) dec. No. 23 Vinnie Santaniello (Pitt), 5-2 (Tied, 3-3)

141: No. 20 Cole Matthews (Pitt) dec. No. 3 Jesse Mendez (OSU), 4-2 (Pitt leads, 6-3)

149: No. 5 Dylan D'Emilio (OSU) dec. No. 19 Finn Solomon (Pitt), 12-11 (Tied, 6-6)

157: No. 13 Paddy Gallagher (OSU) maj. dec. Jared Keslar (Pitt), 17-3 (OSU leads, 10-6)

165: No. 8 Holden Heller (Pitt) maj. dec. No. 20 Isaac Wilcox (OSU), 10-2 (Tied, 10-10)

174: No. 9 Carson Kharchla (OSU) dec. No. 19 Luca Augustine (Pitt), 11-7 (OSU leads, 13-10)

184: No. 20 Reece Heller (Pitt) maj. dec. No. 15 Gavin Hoffman (OSU), 12-2 (Pitt leads, 14-13)

197: No. 17 Mac Stout (Pitt) dec. No. 22 Luke Geog (OSU), 7-1 (Pitt leads, 17-13)

285: No. 14 Dayton Pitzer (Pitt) maj. dec. Hogan Swenski (OSU), 12-2 (Pitt wins, 21-13)

That would conflict with their documentary about the Young Bucks and Ryan's 'historic' recruiting class.

The funny thing is, Haines and Messenbrink might be the two top wrestlers in that class.
Of their big name recruits, Mendez (despite this loss) and Feldman look like the best. The most disappointing is obviously Paddy, but plenty of other guys like Bouzakis, Kilkeary, and Geog have been a bit disappointing, and Kharchla has been inconsistent with some stretches of looking like a hammer. Their track record isn't real good overall, though. I want to see Rogotzke. That dude is a pinning machine like a bigger version of Andonian.

Reactions: goldenanimal
Wow, there were a lot of chokes for the Bucks.

Still if Hogan could have pulled off an upset, and Hoffman might have not gotten majored, and Geog not gotten upset, we might have been talking about Hogan's Heroes.

Moving Hoffman to 184 isn't working out so well.
Hoffman looks pretty sucked down at 184. If the couldn't beat out Geog at 197, that's also telling. He's also now a 6th year guy, so maybe HEW is a factor?

Overall, wouldn't be surprised if Tan Tom soon turns to Shumate at 184.

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
I know it’s fun to s*** (poop) on Pitt. But darn, I really enjoy hearing about them beating up on tOSU and the greatest recruiting class ever.
So far Mendez has been as good as advertised, Finished 6th at 133 last season as a true freshman and has looked great so far in 2023-24 (until the Pitt dual). He controlled the bout against Matthews, but got careless in the final 5 seconds, giving up a very late TD to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Still, I would take Mendez all day in a rematch against Matthews and consider him a legit title contender at 141. Maybe not the favorite, but a legit contender,

Bouzakis took a RS last season and took a few surprising loss early in 2023-24. But he's come on of late and won around eight in a row in pretty convincing fashion. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he AAs in March.

Feldman got dinged up recently and didn't wrestle against Pitt. This after a neck injury that had him miss most of last season.

I appreciate your pleasure of heaping abuse on tOSU, but it's way too early to dismiss the 2022 tOSU recruiting class.

Reactions: backdrft76
Are McCrone, Wilcox and Swenski considered starters for this yr?
HWT: Swenski, definitely no. Feldman is the starter if healthy.

125: Kilkeary is the alternative at 125, but his tournament results definitely don't justify pulling his shirt.

165: Wilcox appears to be the starter unless Kharchla can go back down and they pull Rocco's shirt (Rocco MFF'd out of the Cleveland St tournament, though, so I don't know if he might be hurt or just wanted out).

184: If they are going to move Hoffman back up and bench Geog, please let it be for Rogotzke, not Shumate. He's 10-1 with 9 pins (including Shumate) after setting pin records in high school, too. I really want to see him go.

The most satisfying result is Cole Matthews over Jesse Mendez to slow down the Mendez hype train a little. Matthews came in 3-3 with losses to Danny Pucino, Kal Miller and josh Koderhandt,
Not sure if Matthews has been struggling with his weight this season or what, but I watched Miller toss him for 7 the other week. Nice to see him bounce back.

I know it’s fun to s*** (poop) on Pitt. But darn, I really enjoy hearing about them beating up on tOSU and the greatest recruiting class ever.

You should have been on campus when we wore buttons that said "Shi** on Pitt"..

So far Mendez has been as good as advertised, Finished 6th at 133 last season as a true freshman and has looked great so far in 2023-24 (until the Pitt dual). He controlled the bout against Matthews, but got careless in the final 5 seconds, giving up a very late TD to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Still, I would take Mendez all day in a rematch against Matthews and consider him a legit title contender at 141. Maybe not the favorite, but a legit contender, Bouzakis took a RS last season and took a few surprising loss early in 2023-24. But he's come on of late and won around eight in a row in pretty convincing fashion. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he AAs in March. Feldman got dinged up recently and didn't wrestle against Pitt. This after a neck injury that had him miss most of last season. I appreciate your pleasure of heaping abuse on tOSU, but it's way too early to dismiss the 2022 tOSU recruiting class.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT