ADVERTISEMENT

Pirates doing all they can to give this one away.

I certainly would support treating them like the termites they are. At the same time things could always be worse. I haven't seen thunder sticks in Pittsburgh.

I was a Sabers-Penguins in Buffalo a few years ago on a thunder stick night. One early 20s kid was pretty incessant about using them. Halfway through the 2nd period a guy in his 50s, that undoubtedly looked like a former Marine-type, stood up, turned around, grabbed one of the thunder sticks, bent it in half til it popped and handed it back to the kid.

I was a Sabers-Penguins in Buffalo a few years ago on a thunder stick night. One early 20s kid was pretty incessant about using them. Halfway through the 2nd period a guy in his 50s, that undoubtedly looked like a former Marine-type, stood up, turned around, grabbed one of the thunder sticks, bent it in half til it popped and handed it back to the kid.
A fine job indeed!

Funny, a la John Belushi in Animal House with the Guitar.

Reactions: fairgambit
Gulf Coast Lion: "Right after his 3000th Hit. I was there on the first base side in the box seats. Age 14 and knowing what an iconic, historic moment it was to witness. Arriba Roberto. "

GulfCoastLion, I was there as well, behind home plate. Less than 14,000 of us were there. I was in my early 20's then. Penn State played Iowa at home that day (September 30, 1972) and I could have gone to the football game or the baseball game. I picked Roberto and never regretted it. I listened to Penn State on a transistor radio (we won ). I've mentioned this before but I cannot find my ticket to that game which, in good condition, goes for about $1,000 at auction. Still, I have the memory which, as they say, is priceless.

That would have been Ray Scott calling the play by plat on KDKA normally, but with a Bucco game on at the same time, I wonder if that was on KDKA FM, or some other channel picked up the Penn State radio broadcast that day. I remember Penn State playing Iowa that year, since I followed all PSU games from about 1967 when I was 9 years old and becoming an avid fan of all sports. Wasn't going to miss the Clemente 3000th hit for anything, as I was going to every game once they had the home stand late that year. Without looking it up, I believe that was post Franco and Lydell by one year, so Cappy got the football a bunch during his junior year ?

otl_clemente-14_876.jpg
Gulf Coast Lion: "Right after his 3000th Hit. I was there on the first base side in the box seats. Age 14 and knowing what an iconic, historic moment it was to witness. Arriba Roberto. "

GulfCoastLion, I was there as well, behind home plate. Less than 14,000 of us were there. I was in my early 20's then. Penn State played Iowa at home that day (September 30, 1972) and I could have gone to the football game or the baseball game. I picked Roberto and never regretted it. I listened to Penn State on a transistor radio (we won ). I've mentioned this before but I cannot find my ticket to that game which, in good condition, goes for about $1,000 at auction. Still, I have the memory which, as they say, is priceless.
otl_clemente-14_876.jpg

Reactions: fairgambit
Cappy was the leading rusher in 72. I don't remember what station had the broadcast, but like you, I was not going to miss Roberto's 3,000th hit. Thinking about great moments in Pittsburgh sports history, I was also at the Immaculate Reception game, but I missed Maz's HR in 1960. My family had season tickets in 60' and I had been to game 2 (16-3 Yankee win). My mom didn't want me missing too much school, so she said I could go to game 6 or 7. I figured we win in 6 games, so I pick game 6 and we get killed again 12-0. I miss game 7 and to add insult to injury, at the time Maz was my favorite player.

Was 2 when Maz hit his historic walk off HR vs the Yanks. Listened to the Immaculate Reception game on WTAE while playing a pickup BBall game at some neighbors. The game was blacked out in Pittsburgh since it wasn't sold out in time. Never forget listening to Jack Fleming calling the tipped pass into Franco's stretched hands minutes after Kenny 'the Snake' Stabler ran in for a TD to take a late lead against the vaunted Steel curtain defense. Historic sports memories from the 'Burgh for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT