ADVERTISEMENT

Pirates doing all they can to give this one away.

Wow, do they know they are the home team?
All the a-holes in the crowd making those stupid hyena sounds should be a dead giveaway. God I hate that. And it seems no one has latched onto it more than Pirate fans. It's even worse when you're actually at the game. That and the Pirates defense can put anyone in a bad mood.

8 - 6 now.
Up 5 in the 8th......walk 2 guys

Up 2 in the 9th.....2 errors

Then you get the leadoff man on in the 9th.....swing at ball 4....leaving one-on-one out instead of 2 on none out.....then Cutch strays too far off second - when, if the ball gets through the infield he can walk home

Its hard to imagine a team working any harder to lose a game.

They've used up all their pinch hitters......they've used up Melancon and Watson.....they made their defensive substitutions (so that they could get their better glove to 3rd Base - and he commits an error, and their better glove to 1st Base - and HE commits an error.

If they win this one I will be flabbergasted.

Up 5 in the 8th......walk 2 guys

Up 2 in the 9th.....2 errors

Then you get the leadoff man on in the 9th.....swing at ball 4....leaving one-on-one out instead of 2 on none out.....then Cutch strays too far off second - when, if the ball gets through the infield he can walk home

Its hard to imagine a team working any harder to lose a game.

They've used up all their pinch hitters......they've used up Melancon and Watson.....they made their defensive substitutions (so that they could get their better glove to 3rd Base - and he commits an error, and their better glove to 1st Base - and HE commits an error.

If they win this one I will be flabbergasted.
Even if they do win, I'll take no great satisfaction from it. Nothing I hate watching more than bad defense and garbage fundamental play. In fact, I don't even like when opposing teams play that way. If this Pirate team were playing in an earlier era of baseball, I doubt it would even contend.

Even if they do win, I'll take no great satisfaction from it. Nothing I hate watching more than bad defense and garbage fundamental play. In fact, I don't even like when opposing teams play that way. If this Pirate team were playing in an earlier era of baseball, I doubt it would even contend.
They're not a borderline contender. They have the 3rd best record in baseball. If they're not worthy, no one behind them is either.

Reactions: wbcincy and TheGLOV
They're not a borderline contender. They have the 3rd best record in baseball. If they're not worthy, no one behind them is either.
Not the point. In general, it's a bad brand of baseball we watch in this era. And that is why a team of the Pirates caliber can manage to be a contender. Anyone that witnessed baseball in the 50's through the early 70's knows this.

Not the point. In general, it's a bad brand of baseball we watch in this era. And that is why a team of the Pirates caliber can manage to be a contender. Anyone that witnessed baseball in the 50's through the early 70's knows this.
It's a different game. More speed. More specialization. Less fundamentals. The Pirates are built for this era. If they were playing in the 70's the team would reflect that. I liked the golden era as much as anyone, but the game is what it is and I still enjoy it.

Knocker, faith don't win ballgames. Result's do.

Pirates, win or lose this game, have sheet the bed two nights in a row.

Pisses me off more than one particular jag-off poster it does!!

I learn something new every day.
medium-smiley-112.gif

Reactions: TheGLOV
It's a different game. More speed. More specialization. Less fundamentals. The Pirates are built for this era. If they were playing in the 70's the team would reflect that. I liked the golden era as much as anyone, but the game is what it is and I still enjoy it.
Agree, but I'll put the best teams of that era against the best of the current one and I have no doubt as to which would come out ahead over the long haul. And it wouldn't even be close.

Agree, but I'll put the best teams of that era against the best of the current one and I have no doubt as to which would come out ahead over the long haul. And it wouldn't even be close.
That's probably true, but the talent is so diluted today with so many teams. On a related note, I think I heard them say tonight that if the World Series goes 7 games it would finish on November 4th. If I heard that correctly, it is insanity.

Reactions: nits74
That's probably true, but the talent is so diluted today with so many teams. On a related note, I think I heard them say tonight that if the World Series goes 7 games it would finish on November 4th. If I heard that correctly, it is insanity.
You did. Nothing better than a 7th game in November in say, Kansas City or New York.

I was at the game last night where Hurdle went into his lineup gyrations. He stupefies me sometimes. Although gotta give credit where due - he's pushed a lot of right buttons.
Well, not so much tonight. I mean the defensive moves didn't work out and they were left with a popcorn offense and no bench. Floriman came through to his credit. Cervelli with four hits tonight. He's been amazing. Also, another great outing for Blanton.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
8 - 6 now.
Speaking of "trying to give a game away":

After spending 6 hours at the ballpark (including a long rain delay).....and after blowing a 6-2 lead, and then coming back to retake the lead 10-6.......

Up by four in the bottom of the ninth, Tigers bring in their closer to face the Cubs.

Guy walks TWO batters (both 5 pitch walks), an error, a passed ball, and the Cubs score two in the ninth without the benefit of a hit. Tigers do manage to hold on 10-8.

How in the world can a major league pitcher.....in a situation where walking a guy is equal to giving up a home run.....walk not only ONE guy, but TWO guys, and both on FIVE pitches???
If he had cost them that game, after all the Tigers had been through.........

I fell asleep around 11 pm - forget the inning, but McCutchen was leading off the next inning for the Bucs so I knew that it would not be over that soon.

Woke up this morning, MrsDibbs asks if the Pirates won/lost and I could only say that I thought they won, but wasn't sure. She (being technologically proficient) not wanting to wait if the morning news would report the score looks on her smartphone and tells me that Cervelli was driven in by a triple (no, make that a trip ... trip... triple) by Florimon. I ask "who hit the triple? and she repeats Florimon (with a slight edge to the voice).

My only response was that miracles do happen because when I last saw, the young guy was batting 0.063 which wasn't even half way to the famous Mendoza line.

I'll be here most of the day.

To fairgambit ...

Couple days ago, you posted my Bandwagon picture (thank you). I went to the game on Monday and watched that snoozer to the end and considered leaving the bandwagon. Last night, after watching the defensive replacements commit 2 errors in the ninth inning to allow the Dbacks to tie the game, I was looking for the nearest station to jump off.

How am I going to survive the last 6 weeks of the baseball season with the Pirates and focus on the Penn State football team?

Reactions: fairgambit
Gulf Coast Lion: "Right after his 3000th Hit. I was there on the first base side in the box seats. Age 14 and knowing what an iconic, historic moment it was to witness. Arriba Roberto. "

GulfCoastLion, I was there as well, behind home plate. Less than 14,000 of us were there. I was in my early 20's then. Penn State played Iowa at home that day (September 30, 1972) and I could have gone to the football game or the baseball game. I picked Roberto and never regretted it. I listened to Penn State on a transistor radio (we won ). I've mentioned this before but I cannot find my ticket to that game which, in good condition, goes for about $1,000 at auction. Still, I have the memory which, as they say, is priceless.
otl_clemente-14_876.jpg

To fairgambit ...
Couple days ago, you posted my Bandwagon picture (thank you). I went to the game on Monday and watched that snoozer to the end and considered leaving the bandwagon. Last night, after watching the defensive replacements commit 2 errors in the ninth inning to allow the Dbacks to tie the game, I was looking for the nearest station to jump off.
How am I going to survive the last 6 weeks of the baseball season with the Pirates and focus on the Penn State football team?
You will do it because you are a a true fan of both and because you have lots of company here. Keep the faith, Mr. Dibbs! Keep the faith!

To fairgambit ...

I remember that picture. That bandwagon is designed such that you can never leave. Jumping off that monstrosity will result in broken legs. I think the only way you can get on that wagon is to jump off an overpass as it passes below.

Reactions: fairgambit
All the a-holes in the crowd making those stupid hyena sounds should be a dead giveaway. God I hate that. And it seems no one has latched onto it more than Pirate fans. It's even worse when you're actually at the game. That and the Pirates defense can put anyone in a bad mood.

Actual text sent from wbcincy to a friend at 10:57 last night: "Everyone yelling 'woooo' at the Pirates game should be shot, every game, until they're all gone."

Reactions: bjf1984
Actual text sent from wbcincy to a friend at 10:57 last night: "Everyone yelling 'woooo' at the Pirates game should be shot, every game, until they're all gone."
Thank you! It almost made me turn the game off (well, the sound anyway). These aren't fans that really care about the game.

I certainly would support treating them like the termites they are. At the same time things could always be worse. I haven't seen thunder sticks in Pittsburgh.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT