ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA to Approve NIL Deals for PA Highschool athletes. Terrible idea

BrockBronson

May 20, 2021
Thoughts on this? The PIAA won’t allow girls wrestling but will allow this. Are there any current Highschool wrestlers across the country who have a current/Real NIL deal? I don’t mean the ones where they give codes for the kids to sell their products and make peanuts.
Blades sisters and Feldman are the only ones that come to mind.

The PIAA and NCAA are both money driven entities that unfortunately have zero commonsense. They end up hurting the very athletes that they should be protecting.

Reactions: therod and Ski
The PIAA and NCAA are both money driven entities that unfortunately have zero commonsense. They end up hurting the very athletes that they should be protecting.
Common sense says IMG Academy Football is the target here.

The NCAA has zero to do with enabling NIL. In fact, they did everything they could to completely ignore the topic and pretend it didn't even exist.
As long as the NCAA pockets are getting lined they really don't care about the athletes. They were ok with the transfer portal without a waiting year, which in my opinion truly ruined college athletics as we knew it. With NIL + portal it definitely is the haves and have nots in college sports. Just my op.

As long as the NCAA pockets are getting lined they really don't care about the athletes. They were ok with the transfer portal without a waiting year, which in my opinion truly ruined college athletics as we knew it. With NIL + portal it definitely is the haves and have nots in college sports. Just my op.
SMU, Lawrence Phillips, Art Briles and Dave Bliss, Len Bias and Lefty Driesell, Jerry Sandusky, paid hookers at Louisville and Colorado, funneling athletes into non-majors at UNC and Oklahoma and God knows where else ...

None of these things ruined college athletics. But an athlete who doesn't sit a year after transferring? That's too much.

Why are you mad at the NCAA?

You seem to be completely in agreement with them when it comes to preventing athletes from making money.

Love it!

Keep the transfer rules in place… but let the athlete make some money without having to get a job on top of practicing several hours a day and competing for hours upon hours on the weekend!

Reactions: hlstone
Love it!

Keep the transfer rules in place… but let the athlete make some money without having to get a job on top of practicing several hours a day and competing for hours upon hours on the weekend!
What transfer rules? Who the hell follows that. Will the finally have to follow it in D11? Did they finally put something in.

Well, if you let males compete against females why not NIL money. The whole world is screwed up, and PA is leading the way. My family has been in PA since before 1776. They fought for what was right. My ancestors were condemned to hang during the Freeze Rebellion (later commuted by the Governor). We’re proud of our heritage. This all is such an embarrassment and a repudiation of what’s right and. wrong in our world today. High school kids selling their image? How soon before Middle School kids? Not everything should be held for sale.

If you’re a really good musician in high school, you can put together a band and get paid to play.

But if you’re a great athlete, don’t accept the $25 age group prize at the local 5k.

The rules suck. Let folks make what they’re worth.

If you’re a really good musician in high school, you can put together a band and get paid to play.

But if you’re a great athlete, don’t accept the $25 age group prize at the local 5k.

The rules suck. Let folks make what they’re worth.
All true. It's the corruption behind it that causes the concern.

And.

There will be corruption.

There always is.

Well, if you let males compete against females why not NIL money. The whole world is screwed up, and PA is leading the way. My family has been in PA since before 1776. They fought for what was right. My ancestors were condemned to hang during the Freeze Rebellion (later commuted by the Governor). We’re proud of our heritage. This all is such an embarrassment and a repudiation of what’s right and. wrong in our world today. High school kids selling their image? How soon before Middle School kids? Not everything should be held for sale.
NY did it also

As of 6/16:

HSMap_071322-980x551.jpg

California was the first to adopt it.

Source:

Reactions: goldenanimal
If you ask me, the more unelected, quasi-government agencies restricting the earning ability of law-abiding citizens, the better.

• Haha
Reactions: amattaro and mcpat
As of 6/16:

HSMap_071322-980x551.jpg

California was the first to adopt it.

Source:
Truthfully, I’m mildly surprised Texas wasn’t one of the first ones to adopt it. Especially considering their well-known track record of high profile football players being recruited to various school districts regardless of whether or not they actually live within said district.

I guess I need to whip out my speech again. True NIL is where businesses legitimately pay athletes to promote their business and expect some return on that money. It also can take the form of kids selling autographed items, etc. There is a regional component to it, meaning Joe’s cars in Omaha probably isn’t thinking about sending money to little Johnny in Pottstown, PA, but otherwise it’s largely irrelevant where Little Johnny goes to high school. That is, Mary’s Cookies in Mechanicsburg probably could use Johnny as much as Bob’s RVs in Camp Hill when Johnny goes to Cumberland Valley which sits kind of in between.

Fanboy NIL is provided by fans in an effort to get a kid to go to the fan’s favorite school in an effort to amass talent to improve the chance of success so the fan can feel better about himself due to a void in his life.

I’m okay with true NIL at any level. I just wonder how much there really would be. The fanboy NIL is checked to a large extent by the transfer scrutiny, right or wrong, that is done at the state level. I guess with careful projection and planning fanboy NIL could drive a change in the competitive landscape, but I’ll have so see it. Otherwise I don’t think this is a huge deal in a state where student athlete movement is scrutinized.

Your post lead me to look up the Fries (Spelling on Wikipedia for what that is worth) Rebellion and I loved this quote

President John Adams pardoned Fries and others convicted of treason. Adams was prompted by the narrower constitutional definition of treason, and he later added that the rebels were "obscure, miserable Germans, as ignorant of our language as they were of our laws" [2] and were being used by "great men" in the opposition party.

So your Ancestors were miserable Germans used by great men...

It was the third tax rebellion of its type in the 18th Century, and the second in PA. The first in PA was the Whiskey Rebellion that I learned about when I did a distillery tour at Wiggle Whiskey in Pittsburg.

Your post lead me to look up the Fries (Spelling on Wikipedia for what that is worth) Rebellion and I loved this quote

President John Adams pardoned Fries and others convicted of treason. Adams was prompted by the narrower constitutional definition of treason, and he later added that the rebels were "obscure, miserable Germans, as ignorant of our language as they were of our laws" [2] and were being used by "great men" in the opposition party.

So your Ancestors were miserable Germans used by great men...

It was the third tax rebellion of its type in the 18th Century, and the second in PA. The first in PA was the Whiskey Rebellion that I learned about when I did a distillery tour at Wiggle Whiskey in Pittsburg.
Miserable?
Germans. Yes,
And they apparently weren’t very good spellers, either.😉

Btw, that ancestor later fell from his wagon (probably drunk) delivering whiskey to Philly and was trampled to death by his team. Every family has an Uncle Joe.

Most of the NIL crap I am seeing is glorified salesmen. The Jersey kids act like they have NIL and basically getting paid by how much people buy from the company.

I guess I need to whip out my speech again. True NIL is where businesses legitimately pay athletes to promote their business and expect some return on that money. It also can take the form of kids selling autographed items, etc. There is a regional component to it, meaning Joe’s cars in Omaha probably isn’t thinking about sending money to little Johnny in Pottstown, PA, but otherwise it’s largely irrelevant where Little Johnny goes to high school. That is, Mary’s Cookies in Mechanicsburg probably could use Johnny as much as Bob’s RVs in Camp Hill when Johnny goes to Cumberland Valley which sits kind of in between.

Fanboy NIL is provided by fans in an effort to get a kid to go to the fan’s favorite school in an effort to amass talent to improve the chance of success so the fan can feel better about himself due to a void in his life.

I’m okay with true NIL at any level. I just wonder how much there really would be. The fanboy NIL is checked to a large extent by the transfer scrutiny, right or wrong, that is done at the state level. I guess with careful projection and planning fanboy NIL could drive a change in the competitive landscape, but I’ll have so see it. Otherwise I don’t think this is a huge deal in a state where student athlete movement is scrutinized.

iu

Reactions: PSU Mike

Let's suppose a state university in the midwest is recruiting a PA wrestler who looks to be the next Cary Kolat or Spencer Lee and two fanboys of said university decide to be of help. One offers the PA wrestler 10K to wear a Nationwide Insurance T-shirt and the other offers 25K to pose for photographs of the wrestler eating burgers and fries at Wendy's.

Is this where NIL for high school athletes is going? Good idea? Bad idea?

Granted this situation may be rare as it applies to wrestling and is much more likely to occur in a basketball or football context.

Let's suppose a state university in the midwest is recruiting a PA wrestler who looks to be the next Cary Kolat or Spencer Lee and two fanboys of said university decide to be of help. One offers the PA wrestler 10K to wear a Nationwide Insurance T-shirt and the other offers 25K to pose for photographs of the wrestler eating burgers and fries at Wendy's.

Granted this situation may be rare as it applies to wrestling and is much more likely to occur in a basketball or football context.
40 years after Eric Dickerson's cars, we're arguing about whether reality should be out in the open.

Reactions: nitlion6

That’s just an example related to the allowable timing of college fanboy NIL. I thought people were mostly concerned here about the effect on the HS competitive landscape, and your example would have little impact on that.

ADVERTISEMENT