ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA postseason

El-Jefe

Jul 27, 2012
Sectionals this weekend, and some big news already. First, returning 182 AA finalist Dom Fundy (Beth Center) is out with a hand injury. And now this:

Reactions: jayhawks65
who is expected to be his main competition at states?

wonder if dapperDan will try to match him aginst rby again

or Teske for that matter

who is expected to be his main competition at states?

wonder if dapperDan will try to match him aginst rby again

or Teske for that matter
Probably himself.

The only AA lightweight who might hold him to a decision is Southern Columbia's Jaret Lane (last year's 113 champ), who's at 120.

Next best guy is Benton's Cole Rhone (120 2nd), who bumped up to 132. Smart move -- Teaz teched Rhone 17-2 at Powerade.

Stick a gun to my head and I'll guess Teaz's finals victim will be Upper Dauphin's Bronson Garber (120 4th), who's undefeated this year ... and not nearly in the same class.

Dapper Dan USA team was announced.some time ago Teasdale will get yet another match with Pat Glory -- and they've had a bunch of battles in the past. RBY will go 138, opponent not yet announced but most likely Pitt commit Cole Matthews (Reynolds). Iowa will face WPIAL in the preliminary, so Teske might get a match there -- absolutely no idea who the opponent would be, I don't think there are any SR returning placers from the Pgh area at 120.

Probably himself.

The only AA lightweight who might hold him to a decision is Southern Columbia's Jaret Lane (last year's 113 champ), who's at 120.

Next best guy is Benton's Cole Rhone (120 2nd), who bumped up to 132. Smart move -- Teaz teched Rhone 17-2 at Powerade.

Stick a gun to my head and I'll guess Teaz's finals victim will be Upper Dauphin's Bronson Garber (120 4th), who's undefeated this year ... and not nearly in the same class.

Dapper Dan USA team was announced.some time ago Teasdale will get yet another match with Pat Glory -- and they've had a bunch of battles in the past. RBY will go 138, opponent not yet announced but most likely Pitt commit Cole Matthews (Reynolds). Iowa will face WPIAL in the preliminary, so Teske might get a match there -- absolutely no idea who the opponent would be, I don't think there are any SR returning placers from the Pgh area at 120.
I’ve heard rumors that both Mathews and Mulligan have gotten invites if they win states.

Rumors aside, Matthews is my going in assumption. He would be a 2x champ, not seeing any other real contenders there, and he's going to Pitt.

Mulligan would be an interesting choice. If he repeats, he would also be a 2x champ. However, he lost 10-1 to Tim Wallace, who's a likely AAA 182 finalist and possible champ. All other things being equal, committee tends to favor AAA guys and guys with Pittsburgh ties. (Should note: Wallace is not a lock to win -- Josh Stillings will be a formidable obstacle.)

AA SW Regional brackets posted:
http://live.pa-wrestling.com/2017-2018/region-south-west-aa/

Teasdale has a cakewalk to the finals. Best wrestler in his half of the bracket has 8 losses. Guessing his finals victim will be Everett JR Garett Cornell, D5 champ, 29-2; other potential finalists: Freedom JR ZJ Ward, Derry SR Shawn Broadway (lost to Teaz 18-4 at D7 finals).

Other wrestlers of note: 120 Zach Witmer, 138 Caleb Dowling (state 4th) 145 Tyler Griffiths (state finalist), 145 Alex Caldwell (state 5th), 152 Justin McCoy (state champ, Virginia commit), 152 Connor Law (brother of Cody and Triston), 152 Thayne Lawrence (state 3rd), 160 Jared McGill (state 4th, Army commit), 170 Robbie Patrick (state finalist, Virginia commit), 220 Anthony Walters (state finalist, Drexel commit), 285 Josiah Jones (state finalist, Oklahoma commit), 285 Bishop McCoy (state 5th).

The 152 (McCoy-Lawrence) and 285 (Jones-McCoy) finals look like possible state finals previews.

It would be nice if they had two-120 pound bouts, with the second being between Lane and Teske.
They did pick 2 guys at 120 for Team USA, Melendez and McKee.
http://wrestlingclassic.com/ -- go to the press releases at the bottom.

Lane will almost certainly get one of them. The other will probably go to the AAA 120 champ -- and Brandon Meredith is in the running for that.

Reactions: Sullivan
AAA D1 Central brackets posted:
http://live.pa-wrestling.com/2017-2018/district-1-aaa-central/

Brandon Meredith will win this going away, and might bonus every match.

Meredith should pin his way through his district. He will not face any competition until the SE Regional when he gets Zapf and Hanson-Ashworth. But honestly, his results at regionals are rather inconsequential, because he is going to make it through to Hershey and the 120 bracket will be the deepest in AAA with about 10 kids by my count with the talent to stand at the top of the podium. The #3 out of the SE might face an easier path than the #1 if the #1 happens to catch the #3 or #4 out of NE or SW this year. I'd probably rather face the SC or NW champ than any of the top 3 or 4 out of SE, NE or SW at 120 this year in AAA, so this is one bracket that the seeding changes made are not going to help. Going to be a lot of fingers crossed when the brackets are released.

As an aside: I might not be able to do any preview this year. Friday's storm knocked out my power, am still living with the in laws.

Friday's storm knocked out my power, am still living with the in laws.

that's unfortunate. PECO indicated they expected to have power back to 99% of customers by tonight, with power fully restored by mid-weed. Here's hoping you get power back today, and are able to generate your preview.

Reactions: jschrantz
Anyone know what's up with Julian Chlevbove?
Yes. I'm sure many do, but it's inappropriate for message board commenting. Suffice to say he didn't hit the mat this year and his future is in question at this point.

Dam, I wouldn’t wish that on anyone, The in-laws part that is
I'm quite fortunate there. They're pretty laid back, they like me, and they like my family.

Also helps that the sister in law (wife's brother's wife) is a real PITA. All I have to do is keep my mouth shut and I'm the favorite.

Plus I'm Italian by marriage, so no hard cuts the past few days.

I'm quite fortunate there. They're pretty laid back, they like me, and they like my family.

Also helps that the sister in law (wife's brother's wife) is a real PITA. All I have to do is keep my mouth shut and I'm the favorite.

Plus I'm Italian by marriage, so no hard cuts the past few days.

Hopefully for your sake the sister in law has power :)

Yes. I'm sure many do, but it's inappropriate for message board commenting. Suffice to say he didn't hit the mat this year and his future is in question at this point.
I'm really sorry to learn that. He is a tremendously talented wrestler who displayed the kind of mat instincts that you just can't teach.

Hopefully for your sake the sister in law has power :)
No, but thankfully her father lives a mile from them. So we kinda got the best of it -- nice BIL and one niece stayed with us, psycho SIL and the instigator niece stayed there.

Quick story about the SIL: she owns her own business -- florist for events. She has an event tomorrow, so losing refrigeration was an issue for her. Which made it an issue for the rest of us. She completely freaked out because Peco estimated her power being restored on Thursday -- BIL did not have her on speaker but we heard every word she said. A few hundred thousand people don't have power or heat, live electrical lines are down everywhere, trees fell on houses and cars, but she has a problem.

Later she came over for dinner, and she snapped at BIL in front of everybody (including their daughters) because he mentioned being tired. Before he could recover, she pounced, yelled at him for various other micro crimes against humanity. Again, in front of their daughters.

Like I said, all I have to do is keep my mouth shut ...

No, but thankfully her father lives a mile from them. So we kinda got the best of it -- nice BIL and one niece stayed with us, psycho SIL and the instigator niece stayed there.

Quick story about the SIL: she owns her own business -- florist for events. She has an event tomorrow, so losing refrigeration was an issue for her. Which made it an issue for the rest of us. She completely freaked out because Peco estimated her power being restored on Thursday -- BIL did not have her on speaker but we heard every word she said. A few hundred thousand people don't have power or heat, live electrical lines are down everywhere, trees fell on houses and cars, but she has a problem.

Later she came over for dinner, and she snapped at BIL in front of everybody (including their daughters) because he mentioned being tired. Before he could recover, she pounced, yelled at him for various other micro crimes against humanity. Again, in front of their daughters.

Like I said, all I have to do is keep my mouth shut ...

Yikes, poor BIL.

Public humiliation by your wife is not fun or profitable. It will bite her down the road when she least expects it. When he finally reaches his "fill line" and can take no more and explodes to her shocked surprise and then asks "what did I do to deserve this" answer, you still fog a mirror, dear.

Meredith's bracket is out. He has a pigtail against Logan Ninos (NE-4), a winnable match, but tougher than it might look on the surface. Ninos is a very tough customer, but Meredith should be favored. This will be followed by a prelim match against Macri. Tough draw, but at this weight every quarter has at least 2 top wrestlers so there are no easy paths. Actually, although I think Macri is one of the 2 or 3 best kids at this tough weight, every once in a while he has a result that has you scratching your head, so maybe not the worst draw. Additionally, Meredith will be able to match his pace, and although probably not as strong as Macri, is one of the stronger kids in the class, so Macri's advantage is lessened there.

Beat Macri and he's going to the semis for sure. But, Macri will be the favorite so if he loses there he will drop to the 3rd round consys where he should be a big favorite before moving on to the blood round where the loser of Newell/Kassis (IMO) awaits. He has beaten both of these kids this year, although Newell would be a scary matchup IMO. Kassis also presents some problems with his funk, but I saw their earlier match and I would like Meredith to repeat his earlier victory. Newell - not so sure. He basically ran out of gas after dominating the first 2 periods against Meredith. Not sure if he was sick, or it was indicative of a tank problem, which I haven't noticed before with him.

Tough go no matter how it turns out, but any medal in this weight class (120) will be well earned this year. There are at least 8 kids that could be standing on the top of the podium at the end of the day, and probably 1 or 2 more. Deepest weight at the tournament.

Streaming all 6 mats!

just a FYI, nfhs network requires a subscription. I believe it's $9.95 a month.

I don't think I mentioned this back in November, but the PIAA indicated at that time that all PIAA wrestling events (every dual, etc.) will be streamed on the NFHS Network by 2020 (or was it 2021? -- I'll have to check my notes). I was dubious when I heard that, but perhaps it will come to pass. That certainly would change the dynamics of being able to follow HS wrestlers.

I won't get around to a preview this year, but PennLive did a pretty good AA preview here:
http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/03/piaa_class_2a_wrestling_champi_1.html

... that I largely agree with, with some exceptions:
113 - Boozel 3rd
120 - Witmer 3rd
138 - Milbrand 3rd
145 - Hetrick 3rd
160 - Edsell 1st, McGill 3rd
170 - Patrick 2nd, Group 3rd
182 - Garcia 2nd, Gorring 3rd
195 - I didn't pick 2-4 -- rather, over/under Hoffman's longest match 2:00.
285 - I have no idea how to pick among the top 3. Jones should be the favorite, but he's wrestling low-scoring matches when he's capable of more. But McCoy beat him at regionals. And Scheib is scoring a lot. Any of the 3 could win. McCoy will make the finals. Jones or Scheib will take 3rd.

I also didn't go down to 4th, because that means reviewing consolations brackets, which I'm not doing.

Here is PennLive's AAA preview:
http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/03/piaa_class_3a_wrestling_champi_1.html

And where I differ:
113 - Betancourt 2nd, Bonura 3rd
120 - any of about 10 guys could win. I have 1 Macri, 2 Zapf, 3 Newell. Meredith is in the mix, but gets Macri after his pigtail.
138 - I agree with the picks, just wanted to point out that PIAA regional champ seeding is still very imperfect. Anderson is #5 nationally but got the 2 seed because he has lost to Woods (#2 at 132), #2 Kinner, and #4 Manville; and Koleno is unbeaten. IMO Levett is better than Koleno but got stuck with Anderson in the semis.
145 - Blumer 1st, Kemerer 2nd, McClenahan 3rd
170 - Wilson 2nd, Nichter 3rd

Below is a link from Lehigh Valley Live showing an article by Brad Wilson who tends to be a little slanted towards District 11 but very knowledgeable. This forum tends to follow to the Western PA wrestlers more than the Eastern PA counterparts. I think it gives a good perspective on what to expect at Hershey.

http://s.lehighvalleylive.com/qxWpygZ

I won't get around to a preview this year, but PennLive did a pretty good AA preview here:
http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/03/piaa_class_2a_wrestling_champi_1.html

... that I largely agree with, with some exceptions:
113 - Boozel 3rd
120 - Witmer 3rd
138 - Milbrand 3rd
145 - Hetrick 3rd
160 - Edsell 1st, McGill 3rd
170 - Patrick 2nd, Group 3rd
182 - Garcia 2nd, Gorring 3rd
195 - I didn't pick 2-4 -- rather, over/under Hoffman's longest match 2:00.
285 - I have no idea how to pick among the top 3. Jones should be the favorite, but he's wrestling low-scoring matches when he's capable of more. But McCoy beat him at regionals. And Scheib is scoring a lot. Any of the 3 could win. McCoy will make the finals. Jones or Scheib will take 3rd.

I also didn't go down to 4th, because that means reviewing consolations brackets, which I'm not doing.
What do you make of Garcia's chances, had he gone 170?

he got smoked by edmund earlier in the year.....

PS- the next garcia (i think its his 7th state title) and 1 other just won PJW JH states, couple others placed too

3rd/4th.

He would've been the 3 seed behind Ruth and Patrick. Tough 2nd match vs. Group, slight favorite but could go either way. Probably loses to Patrick in semis, final placement depends on rematch with Group.

Might beat Patrick but wouldn't bet on it. Patrick is much closer to Ruth than 13-5.

Ironically, Garcia might have been better off at AAA 170 than AA 170. Not beating Hidlay but did beat 2 seed Nichter twice this year and 4 seed Joll. Not sure how he'd fare vs. NE champ Wilson.

Last edited:
Returning champ Beau Bayless (Reynolds) just lost in the AA 113 semis.

Huge implications in team race -- Reynolds and Southern Columbia neck and neck for first.

Jaret Lane won 6-0 over Witmer in the 120 semis.

Ruth survived a scare, got put on his back and saved with injury time.

Rematch of last year's OT state final with Robbie Patrick tomrrow.

Here's a guy I'd love to see us get in 2019 as HWT depth behind Snacks:
http://www.papowerwrestling.com/hea...s-table-gerald-brown-class-aaa-quarterfinals/

JR, 2nd straight year as the undefeated SC Regional champ heading into Hershey. Very active, scores a lot, and especially for HWT.

His semi tomorrow vs. Erie Prep's Deboe (who would be another great HWT depth prospect next year) should be fun. Whichever one wins, the final vs. Isaac Reid should be one of the better Saturday night matches.

ADVERTISEMENT