ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA Football Championships Thread

And there sits Tom Reisenweber (Erie Times News), dutifully looking away, or at least ardently defending the Prep narrative (bs). Ever read his running Friday night blogs during football season? Don't you dare complain, tsk, tsk. It's all very fair.

Yeah.

Move up, Prep. Do the right thing.

Said journalist always backs the Preppies and their VM little sisters. The Erie All-Stars get him an all-expenses paid trip to the Hershey chocolate factory once or twice a year. He probably collects plenty of candy bars with his meal money. Yum-Yum.

I have no issue if publics and privates want to schedule each other in scrimmages or regular season, but all teams should be playing by the same set of rules when it comes to any type of championships: league, district, state.

Reactions: Carl Spackler
Private schools like Prep should be forced to play 6A at the very least. They've ruined the old Erie County league.

I've seen lots of debate in this thread about what the PIAA should do, or mention of what other states do, with regard to public and private participation in state championships. As I've posted in the past, the PIAA doesn't have a lot of leeway, or doesn't feel they have a lot of leeway. Act 219 of 1972, which was passed by the PA Legislature, basically forces the PIAA to allow private schools to be part of the PIAA. The PIAA feels that they do not have the ability to set up public and private championships. Others feel that Act 219 doesn't prevent that; it just allows the private schools to be part of the PIAA. And so, it becomes a circular argument.

Below are links to some recent articles about the situation, and the frustration that is out there in the Commonwealth.

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: School administrators will take public/private playoff fight to state legislature

York Dispatch: PIAA continues to stand behind Act 219, passed in 1972, in public vs. private battle
(credit to the Scranton Times-Tribune, where this article originated)

Allentown Morning Call: It's time for PIAA to give private, charter schools their own tournaments

Allentown Morning Call: District 11 leaders still back PIAA in boundary vs. non-boundary issue

GoErie.com: Erie County superintendent tackles PIAA

Reactions: Nittany Ned2
Essentially, private schools are doing exactly what colleges and universities are doing; i.e.using athletic success to create a brand to keep the academics alive.

It’s a totally different model from the run of the mill public HS.

Which is precisely why the pro-private school legislature will NEVER change the current setup.

ADVERTISEMENT