ADVERTISEMENT

Philip Rivers

I've heard Brees is gone as well. Ben?
Amazingly, all the Pittsburgh media talking experts say it is time for Ben to go. The way they fawned over him for years I find it surprising. Thought they would say ‘he had major surgery, give him one more year’. His huge contract is one reason.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Ben goes nowhere next year. Restructure, make one more run at it and let the chips fall.

All I know is the team better start getting some nuggets in place to replace him though. Mason "The Nerd" Rudolph will not be the answer.

I also don't think where the team is drafting that they will find an ample replacement.

Haskins is my choice to bring in and sit behind Ben for his last year. What does it hurt?

• Haha
Reactions: PearlSUJam
Someone should find Rivers’ announcement and post it here. Class personified.

"I am grateful to the Chargers for 16 seasons, and the Colts for the 17th season," Rivers said in his statement. "Thank you to all my coaches that helped me grow as a player and person. Thanks to the support staff. I appreciate the opposing defenses making it challenging physically and mentally every week. ... I also enjoyed the banter. I appreciate the referees for putting up with all my fussing. I think I was right most of the time dadgummit!

"Thanks to the fans in San Diego and around the nation that both cheered and booed. Special thanks to my teammates. Without a doubt my favorite part of the game, being a teammate. Thank you for being mine.

"Lastly, thank you to my wife and best friend Tiffany, and our children Halle, Caroline, Grace, Gunner, Sarah, Peter, Rebecca, Clare, and Anna. Could not have done it without y'all's unwavering support.

"As my playing career comes to an end, the next chapter begins."

"I am grateful to the Chargers for 16 seasons, and the Colts for the 17th season," Rivers said in his statement. "Thank you to all my coaches that helped me grow as a player and person. Thanks to the support staff. I appreciate the opposing defenses making it challenging physically and mentally every week. ... I also enjoyed the banter. I appreciate the referees for putting up with all my fussing. I think I was right most of the time dadgummit!

"Thanks to the fans in San Diego and around the nation that both cheered and booed. Special thanks to my teammates. Without a doubt my favorite part of the game, being a teammate. Thank you for being mine.

"Lastly, thank you to my wife and best friend Tiffany, and our children Halle, Caroline, Grace, Gunner, Sarah, Peter, Rebecca, Clare, and Anna. Could not have done it without y'all's unwavering support.

class.

he's also two kids short of fielding his own team!

“I was right most of the time, dadgummit!” That alone gives him free lifetime membership to the BWI McAndrew board! :p

We will occasionally play a game in our family and among friends where you name three people you would like to have dinner with. You can have restrictions -- must be living, from a certain time period, etc. Yes, we may be losers, but it is kind of fun. I still get teased about including Katie Perry one time... Anyway, I would put Philip Rivers on my list at some point. Cool guy, in that he was/is supremely comfortable in his own skin. He knows who he is and likes it. I wish him all the best in future endeavors.

Last edited:
We will occasionally play a game in our family among friends where you name three people you would like to have dinner with. You can have restrictions -- must be living, from a certain time period, etc. Yes, we may be losers, but it is kind of fun. I still get teased about including Katie Perry one time... Anyway, I would put Philip Rivers on my list at some point. Cool guy, in that he was/is supremely comfortable in his own skin. He knows who he is and likes it. I wish him all the best in future endeavors.

Larry Csonka Jay Leno and Dave Grohl

He said he couldn't wait to start his new job as a Head Coach of the local football Team in Alabama - good thing he made a lot of coin over the years to feed that tribe he has - seems like a good dude.

IDK what it is/was about him but I never liked him and it goes all the way back to his days at NC State. 🤷‍♂️

Rivers drove a beat up station wagon the whole way through college. He was focused on school, football, and his girlfriend (turned wife). He was a perfect example of a student athlete. I have been a fan of him his whole career. And how he is going to be a HS FB coach. Hard not to like him.

IDK what it is/was about him but I never liked him and it goes all the way back to his days at NC State. 🤷‍♂️

If it makes you feel any different...nice guy, a gym rat and study film all of the time type, son of a coach, met his wife very young, sort of football's version of Don Mattingly -- just likes to play the game. When he was at State, he was not a partier or really interested in the scene. My team worked on NC State's web properties and I met him a few times. Down to earth, all about the game.

I can't stand him.
Also, it's amazing he has been as successful as he is with that throwing motion. Didn't work for Terrelle Pryor.

Reactions: bison13 and BBrown
I don't know if he is a hall of fame guy, but I think the reference to Don Mattingly is accurate. Lots of QB turnover coming to the NFL. Brady just keeps going.

I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing, but you really think that's class personified?
I see nothing wrong w/ it. But to me it reads like a template version of a retirement letter w/ a couple southerisms tossed in for effect.

Reactions: psuro
I doubt Frank Reich will be interested in Wentz after how Doug Pederson was dumped in Philly (with Wentz being central). Doug had Frank's back in 2016 when Jeff Lurie reportedly wanted Reich fired after an iffy season.

People are quick to connect Reich with Wentz based on 2017 when the stronger connection is likely between the coaches.

The Eagles will be a fascinating situation to watch. It will be hard for them not to over correct to a disciplinarian after Doug's emotional style went south. How will Wentz and the veteran roster react?

I'm with you. Apparently a great guy off the field, and the coaching HS is pretty cool, but on the field he seemed to bitch about everything all the time. Plus, I just can't stand to look at that side-armed delivery. How did he not get 50% of his passed batted down? I'm shocked he's 5th (FIFTH!!!) on the all time passing yardage list???? Of course, obligatory to add - he never won anything.

Last edited:
Reactions: PearlSUJam
I'm with you. Apparently a great guy off the field, and the coaching HS is pretty cool, but on the field he seemed to bitch about everything all the time. Plus, I just can't stand to look at that side-armed delivery. How did he not get 50% of his passed batted down? I'm shocked he's 5th (FIFTH!!!) on the all time passing yardage list???? Of course, obligatory to add - he never won anything.
Golly gee ref you suck! 🤣

Rivers was a great teammate, leader, smart, fiery competitor and loved the game. Sat being Brees for two years and then never missed a start including playing with a torn ACL. Colts fans who were not on board with him joining their team last year quickly became happy with Philip as their QB and team leader. He had a great year with no preseason with a new team and personnel. So glad he remembered San Diego on retirement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT