ADVERTISEMENT

Philadelphia featured in Early American Life Magazine

fairgambit

Aug 20, 2010
I am a long time subscriber to Early American Life Magazine. The August issue has 30 pages about Philadelphia, divided between two articles. The first is 6 pages, "Visiting Philadelphia", and the 2nd (24 pages) focuses on traditional American crafts at Elfreth's Alley, which is America's oldest continually occupied neighborhood. Lots of great information and photos. If you have an interest in Colonial America, or historical Philadelphia, you should pick up this issue. The magazine is available by subscription, but you can often find it wherever magazines are sold. Early American Life is a great magazine that publishes 7 times a year. It's got lots of great information about Colonial times...homes, furniture, recipes, weapons, clothing, etc. You may want to check it out.

Last edited:
I am a long time subscriber to Early American Life Magazine. The August issue has 30 pages about Philadelphia, divided between two articles. The first is 6 pages, "Visiting Philadelphia", and the 2nd (24 pages) focuses on traditional American crafts at Elfreth's Alley, which is America's oldest continually occupied neighborhood. Lots of great information and photos. If you have an interest in Colonial America, or historical Philadelphia, you should pick up this issue. The magazine is available by subscription, but you can often find it wherever magazines are sold. Early American Life is a great magazine that publishes 7 times a year. It's got lots of great information about Colonial times...homes, furniture, recipes, weapons, clothing, etc. You may want to check ot out.

I assume the author was not Glov.

and the 2nd (24 pages) focuses on traditional American crafts at Elfreth's Alley, which is America's oldest continually occupied neighborhood.

Just a note on this.

Elfreth's Alley is America's oldest continuously inhabited residential street. It's 32 residences, built between 1728 and 1836, on a single street in the Old City neighborhood of Philadelphia.

Residents and historians formed the Elfreth's Alley Association in 1934 to try to preserve the street (which also led to the street reverting back to the name Elfreth's Alley -- it had been changed to Cherry Street during a street-name simplification project). The street was named a National Historic Landmark in the 1960s.

So while it's nice that the magazine fair mentioned has info on Elfreth's Alley, it's a street, not a neighborhood.

It is a nice street to walk down. The current residents are more embracing of the historical nature of the block, and stage a number of events each year on the street. To some extent, I think that's a reaction to the situations in the 60s/70s/80s, where the residents became frustrated with the constant knocks on their doors by tourists, as many of them thought the houses were museums, and could be toured.

Just a note on this.

Elfreth's Alley is America's oldest continuously inhabited residential street. It's 32 residences, built between 1728 and 1836, on a single street in the Old City neighborhood of Philadelphia.

Residents and historians formed the Elfreth's Alley Association in 1934 to try to preserve the street (which also led to the street reverting back to the name Elfreth's Alley -- it had been changed to Cherry Street during a street-name simplification project). The street was named a National Historic Landmark in the 1960s.

So while it's nice that the magazine fair mentioned has info on Elfreth's Alley, it's a street, not a neighborhood.

It is a nice street to walk down. The current residents are more embracing of the historical nature of the block, and stage a number of events each year on the street. To some extent, I think that's a reaction to the situations in the 60s/70s/80s, where the residents became frustrated with the constant knocks on their doors by tourists, as many of them thought the houses were museums, and could be toured.

I have always been VERY disappointed at Philadelphia's lack of self promotion regarding it's history as our founding city. The Independence Mall area could be marketed in a very impressive way. It seems that the local leadership has little or no interest in such. Imagine a "Williamsburg" type environment with REAL history not a recreation !!
Then the ugliest building in the world to display the "Liberty Bell" :-(

I have always been VERY disappointed at Philadelphia's lack of self promotion regarding it's history as our founding city. The Independence Mall area could be marketed in a very impressive way. It seems that the local leadership has little or no interest in such. Imagine a "Williamsburg" type environment with REAL history not a recreation !!
Absolutely agree. It should be a destination city for that reason alone. The Colonial Williamsburg foundation does a great job of promoting. I've been a member for years. I get their magazine, buy stuff at their online gift shop, visit the town, etc. If Philly has anything similar, I am not aware of it. Pittsburgh too, could do better with Fort Pitt.

Was the crack about the Liberty Bell building necessary?;)

When I worked in center city I would get out and walk at lunch just to seek out different historic sites. I used to tell my coworkers, most of whom lived here all their lives, how fortunate they were to grow up here.

As proud as I am about my Pittsburgh heritage, Philly is great, and I'm really happy to live here.

When I worked in center city I would get out and walk at lunch just to seek out different historic sites. I used to tell my coworkers, most of whom lived here all their lives, how fortunate they were to grow up here.

As proud as I am about my Pittsburgh heritage, Philly is great, and I'm really happy to live here.
Pennsylvania is fortunate to have 2 great cities. Some states have none. I understand friendly banter between the denizens of each, but I think it should stay friendly. After all we share the Steagles.:)
SteaglesLogo.jpg

I am a long time subscriber to Early American Life Magazine. The August issue has 30 pages about Philadelphia, divided between two articles. The first is 6 pages, "Visiting Philadelphia", and the 2nd (24 pages) focuses on traditional American crafts at Elfreth's Alley, which is America's oldest continually occupied neighborhood. Lots of great information and photos. If you have an interest in Colonial America, or historical Philadelphia, you should pick up this issue. The magazine is available by subscription, but you can often find it wherever magazines are sold. Early American Life is a great magazine that publishes 7 times a year. It's got lots of great information about Colonial times...homes, furniture, recipes, weapons, clothing, etc. You may want to check it out.
I ordered a subscription to the magazine as I love history, especially American history. I'll know who to blame if it sucks. ;)

Reactions: fairgambit

Absolutely agree. It should be a destination city for that reason alone. The Colonial Williamsburg foundation does a great job of promoting. I've been a member for years. I get their magazine, buy stuff at their online gift shop, visit the town, etc. If Philly has anything similar, I am not aware of it. Pittsburgh too, could do better with Fort Pitt.

Two different approaches to historic preservation, both of which are now frowned upon by most folks in the field.

Williamsburg is, for the most part, recreations of historical buildings. It was spearheaded by Reverend Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin, who eventually recruited John D. Rockefeller Jr. to bankroll the process. The demolished a lot of buildings (most that were older than 1790), and in some cases took existing buildings down to their foundations, then rebuilt them, and then presented them as originals. Nowadays in historical preservation, "newer" buildings would not be demolished, buildings would not be taken to their foundations/rebuilt/presented as original, and only in very rare cases (and still frowned upon) would former buildings be recreated.

While Independence National Historical Park is a newer creation than is Colonial Williamsburg, it still suffered from outdated preservation procedures. It has a twisted history. The Historic Sites Act of 1935 started the process, and Independence Hall was named a National Historic Site in 1943. During the late '30s, the concept of a mall for 3 blocks north of Independence Hall was conceived. The National Park Service (NPS) didn't like the idea -- they only were interested in a mall 1 block north of the Hall. Backers of the larger idea took it to the PA legislature, which was interested but never fully backed it. Eventually, the city of Philadelphia and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania agreed to create Independence Mall, and then turn it over to the NPS. They purchased all the buildings in the 3-block area north of the Hall, and demolished all but 1 -- the Free Quaker Meetinghouse. The reason that survived is that it was the only building in the 3 block square that pre-dated 1776, and even it didn't survive unscathed -- it was moved 30 feet to accommodate the widening of 5th Street (one of the boundaries of the present Mall). Included in the buildings that were demolished were the walls of the house owned by Robert Morris that served as the President's house when Philadelphia was the national capitol.

The problem with the Mall approach is that the Pennsylvania State House (now known as Independence Hall) never existed with a 3-block expanse to its north that was mostly devoid of buildings. It was built in an urban area, and as such had buildings across the street, and in the 3-blocks to its north. The area south of Independence Hall was, as is now, mostly free of buildings. Interestingly, the 3-block mall has changed a great deal since the NPS took control of it. The Liberty Bell is now housed in a building on the western side of the 1st block. A visitor's center now exists on the western side of the 2nd block. Lastly, the Constitution Center was built across the majority of the 3rd block of the Mall.

As for recreations, the NPS did build City Tavern a few blocks from Independence Mall in the mid-70s. It was an important building in the historical process -- the initial meeting of the First Continental Congress took place there, before they decided to meet at Carpenters Hall. They also recreated the Graff House (also called the Declaration House) in the mid-70s, which is the boarding house that Thomas Jefferson stayed at during the Second Continental Congress, and where he wrote the initial draft of the Declaration of Independence. In time, the NPS did adopt more modern historical preservation techniques, which can be seen at Franklin Court (where Ben Franklin lived), or at the President's House Memorial, which opened in 2010 on Independence Mall.

As for dawg's comment about the building that houses the Liberty Bell, it's better looking than its previous building (which was built for the Bicentennial), and far more accommodating for tourists than where the Liberty Bell was stationed for decades -- at the bottom of the stairwell of the Independence Hall tower. I don't have a problem with the current building that houses the Liberty Bell. It's big enough to accommodate the huge number of tourists that visit it, and it affords one a view of Independence Hall while looking at the bell.

Reactions: fairgambit
I ordered a subscription to the magazine as I love history, especially American history. I'll know who to blame if it sucks. ;)
I'm glad to hear that. I've been getting it for years and really enjoy it. I'd be interested to know your opinion after you've read a couple of issues.

Reactions: PSUPride1
Two different approaches to historic preservation, both of which are now frowned upon by most folks in the field.

Williamsburg is, for the most part, recreations of historical buildings. It was spearheaded by Reverend Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin, who eventually recruited John D. Rockefeller Jr. to bankroll the process. The demolished a lot of buildings (most that were older than 1790), and in some cases took existing buildings down to their foundations, then rebuilt them, and then presented them as originals. Nowadays in historical preservation, "newer" buildings would not be demolished, buildings would not be taken to their foundations/rebuilt/presented as original, and only in very rare cases (and still frowned upon) would former buildings be recreated.

While Independence National Historical Park is a newer creation than is Colonial Williamsburg, it still suffered from outdated preservation procedures. It has a twisted history. The Historic Sites Act of 1935 started the process, and Independence Hall was named a National Historic Site in 1943. During the late '30s, the concept of a mall for 3 blocks north of Independence Hall was conceived. The National Park Service (NPS) didn't like the idea -- they only were interested in a mall 1 block north of the Hall. Backers of the larger idea took it to the PA legislature, which was interested but never fully backed it. Eventually, the city of Philadelphia and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania agreed to create Independence Mall, and then turn it over to the NPS. They purchased all the buildings in the 3-block area north of the Hall, and demolished all but 1 -- the Free Quaker Meetinghouse. The reason that survived is that it was the only building in the 3 block square that pre-dated 1776, and even it didn't survive unscathed -- it was moved 30 feet to accommodate the widening of 5th Street (one of the boundaries of the present Mall). Included in the buildings that were demolished were the walls of the house owned by Robert Morris that served as the President's house when Philadelphia was the national capitol.

The problem with the Mall approach is that the Pennsylvania State House (now known as Independence Hall) never existed with a 3-block expanse to its north that was mostly devoid of buildings. It was built in an urban area, and as such had buildings across the street, and in the 3-blocks to its north. The area south of Independence Hall was, as is now, mostly free of buildings. Interestingly, the 3-block mall has changed a great deal since the NPS took control of it. The Liberty Bell is now housed in a building on the western side of the 1st block. A visitor's center now exists on the western side of the 2nd block. Lastly, the Constitution Center was built across the majority of the 3rd block of the Mall.

As for recreations, the NPS did build City Tavern a few blocks from Independence Mall in the mid-70s. It was an important building in the historical process -- the initial meeting of the First Continental Congress took place there, before they decided to meet at Carpenters Hall. They also recreated the Graff House (also called the Declaration House) in the mid-70s, which is the boarding house that Thomas Jefferson stayed at during the Second Continental Congress, and where he wrote the initial draft of the Declaration of Independence. In time, the NPS did adopt more modern historical preservation techniques, which can be seen at Franklin Court (where Ben Franklin lived), or at the President's House Memorial, which opened in 2010 on Independence Mall.

As for dawg's comment about the building that houses the Liberty Bell, it's better looking than its previous building (which was built for the Bicentennial), and far more accommodating for tourists than where the Liberty Bell was stationed for decades -- at the bottom of the stairwell of the Independence Hall tower. I don't have a problem with the current building that houses the Liberty Bell. It's big enough to accommodate the huge number of tourists that visit it, and it affords one a view of Independence Hall while looking at the bell.

Thanks for the info. The old location for the Bell was not visitor friendly (kind of fun though). I just feel the architecture for the "new" building is out of character for the area. In my opinion a colonial design would have been more in keeping.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT