ADVERTISEMENT

Philadelphia 76ers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be misreading things, but my suspicion is that he will be traded, and that the Spurs will get a lot less for him than they have been seeking.

At this point, the Sixers shouldn't offer any more than the Heat pick they got for Bridges and some expiring salary(ies). If he signs an extension as part of the trade, then maybe add a good young player to the mix. Otherwise, I wouldn't even consider making a trade and risk taking a huge step backward if he is one and out.

I find it kind of amusing.

The Spurs have a great player who doesn't want to play for them, and is one year from being a FA. No team likes to give away talent like that unless doing so improves the team. So, they're looking to get quite a bit of talent/draft picks in return for him.

The rest of the league realizes that 1) the Spurs have little to no leverage here, so they have little incentive to put together a blockbuster package, 2) that unless Kawhi signs an extension he'll be a 1-season rental, so without an extension agreed to as part of the trade, they have even less reason to offer a lot to the Spurs, 3) there are only a few teams that have the cap space, as well as players and future draft picks that could make a trade, so there isn't a bidding frenzy, and 4) Kawhi is a great talent at both ends of the court, but he quit on the Spurs this past season. Bottom line, Kawhi's trade value is not all that high, despite his considerable talent.

You put these two dynamics together, and it does not surprise me that new rumors appear every few days, and that no trade has been completed.

I could be misreading things, but my suspicion is that he will be traded, and that the Spurs will get a lot less for him than they have been seeking. If he were to sign an extension as part of a trade, that would increase what the Spurs would get in return, but Kawhi can likely make more on the market after next season AND get to pick which city he lives in, so there's not a lot of incentive for Kawhi/his agent to agree to that.
Only issue with this is that he can sign for the supermax with the Spurs this summer and then agree to the trade. But if you are the Lakers, that's a bad deal because you can get him 25% off next year. The sixers would probably do that deal if he signed the contract before the trade, but even then you have a question as to whether or not he's 100%. It also calls into question whether he has offered the sign and trade to the spurs with philly.

Because of the injury, the stated intention to go to LA, and the risk of departure, his value has really plummeted in the last few weeks.

At this point, the Sixers shouldn't offer any more than the Heat pick they got for Bridges and some expiring salary(ies). If he signs an extension as part of the trade, then maybe add a good young player to the mix. Otherwise, I wouldn't even consider making a trade and risk taking a huge step backward if he is one and out.
I agree. As a sixers fan, I'm much happier to keep homie, keep the chemistry of the team, and watch fultz develop than roll the dice on a one year rental that has already made it clear he wants to go to LA.

I find it kind of amusing.

The Spurs have a great player who doesn't want to play for them, and is one year from being a FA. No team likes to give away talent like that unless doing so improves the team. So, they're looking to get quite a bit of talent/draft picks in return for him.

The rest of the league realizes that 1) the Spurs have little to no leverage here, so they have little incentive to put together a blockbuster package, 2) that unless Kawhi signs an extension he'll be a 1-season rental, so without an extension agreed to as part of the trade, they have even less reason to offer a lot to the Spurs, 3) there are only a few teams that have the cap space, as well as players and future draft picks that could make a trade, so there isn't a bidding frenzy, and 4) Kawhi is a great talent at both ends of the court, but he quit on the Spurs this past season. Bottom line, Kawhi's trade value is not all that high, despite his considerable talent.

You put these two dynamics together, and it does not surprise me that new rumors appear every few days, and that no trade has been completed.

I could be misreading things, but my suspicion is that he will be traded, and that the Spurs will get a lot less for him than they have been seeking. If he were to sign an extension as part of a trade, that would increase what the Spurs would get in return, but Kawhi can likely make more on the market after next season AND get to pick which city he lives in, so there's not a lot of incentive for Kawhi/his agent to agree to that.
This is also why I think he may well have to play out the string in San Antonio next season. The Spurs feel burned and if his value is so low, then they’re better served letting Leonard play out his contract year to send Pop out instyle.

This is also why I think he may well have to play out the string in San Antonio next season. The Spurs feel burned and if his value is so low, then they’re better served letting Leonard play out his contract year to send Pop out instyle.
first, love the photo you use. I watched the great escape last night and the announcer said that steve mcqueen got 40 traffic tickets in germany during the filming of that movie. the announcer also said that his father was McQueen's attorney and once represented him for two traffic violations on the same day: one for speeding on PCH 1 and the other for driving too slow on the 101.

Anyway, SAS letting go the players that pissed Leonard off during last season (who said he didn't play hurt and abandoned the team when they needed him). But I think KL is done in SAS. The best they can do is convince him to play next season and move him before the deadline. SAS won't get much for him unless he agrees to a long term deal and that isn't going to happen to many teams not named "lakers". sixers and celtics don't want a one-year guy (assuming he won't extend there)

As a Sixers fan, I will gladly wait for the top Free Agents in 2019.

I'm with you. We have four lottery picks that have combined for barely four full seasons worth of games -- COMBINED. All four have a certain level of superstar already in their games -- including Saric and Fultz. I'm more than okay with letting those four play together for another full season and see how they respond. No need to overpay for a one year rental when it takes a good year to build a championship chemistry anyway.

Reactions: Kmase21
If what I read is accurate, he may plan so sit out next year.

I used to think a lot of him, really admired his talent and his work ethic. Now? I really don’t understand what’s happened. Strange story all around.

first, love the photo you use. I watched the great escape last night and the announcer said that steve mcqueen got 40 traffic tickets in germany during the filming of that movie. the announcer also said that his father was McQueen's attorney and once represented him for two traffic violations on the same day: one for speeding on PCH 1 and the other for driving too slow on the 101.

Anyway, SAS letting go the players that pissed Leonard off during last season (who said he didn't play hurt and abandoned the team when they needed him). But I think KL is done in SAS. The best they can do is convince him to play next season and move him before the deadline. SAS won't get much for him unless he agrees to a long term deal and that isn't going to happen to many teams not named "lakers". sixers and celtics don't want a one-year guy (assuming he won't extend there)
McQueen was an interesting guy.
I'm with you. We have four lottery picks that have combined for barely four full seasons worth of games -- COMBINED. All four have a certain level of superstar already in their games -- including Saric and Fultz. I'm more than okay with letting those four play together for another full season and see how they respond. No need to overpay for a one year rental when it takes a good year to build a championship chemistry anyway.
100% agree. The Sixers aren’t in a desperate situation. There’s no rush to try and win a championship now. They may end up much better off letting these young lotto picks develop.

Reactions: colt21 and Obliviax
Serb forward Nemanja Bjelica has backed out of his agreement and wont be playing for the Sixers this season. Bolden's play this Summer makes it a bigger loss. Not to be Debbie Downer, but the offseason has been kind of underwhelming. Also, sounds like the GM job is getting alot of "no thanks" due to the management by committee model the Sixers roll with.

Serb forward Nemanja Bjelica has backed out of his agreement and wont be playing for the Sixers this season. Bolden's play this Summer makes it a bigger loss. Not to be Debbie Downer, but the offseason has been kind of underwhelming. Also, sounds like the GM job is getting alot of "no thanks" due to the management by committee model the Sixers roll with.
What a clusterf*ck. Bjelica had been touted as their best signing this summer. It really does feel like nobody wants anything to do with the Sixers right now. Maybe that will change with another good season under their belts. As of today, I'd have to candidly color them as a candidate to take a step back next year. They lost key role players in their 2nd half resurgence.

Their four best players are back. One of those four has played two full seasons. Another has played parts of two seasons. The third has one full season. And the fourth has less than 20 games played. This team will improve just by having those four healthy and on the court at the same time for a full season.

I'm pretty sure Nemanja Bjelica's reasons for reneging on his deal have nothing to do with "nobody wants anything to do with the Sixers right now".

They added Wilson Chandler, who doesn't shoot like Belinelli, but he's a much better defender. I think that's an even trade at worst. Ilyasova isn't a loss at all. I didn't like his game the first time around -- thought he was taking minutes that should have gone to Saric. And I didn't think he did much the second time around either.

I don't know what's up with the GM position. Frankly, not having Colangelo in that seat is an addition all on its own. So no real need to panic there at this point.

Not to be Debbie Downer, but the offseason has been kind of underwhelming.

I'm glad they didn't overpay just to make a "big" move. That would have been more damaging to the franchise than having an underwhelming offseason. LeBron was never going anywhere other than LA. George was going to LA or staying in OKC. Leonard was the only true option. But he is too expensive without a long term contract. There might be other moves to be made once that situation shakes out.

What a clusterf*ck. Bjelica had been touted as their best signing this summer. It really does feel like nobody wants anything to do with the Sixers right now. Maybe that will change with another good season under their belts. As of today, I'd have to candidly color them as a candidate to take a step back next year. They lost key role players in their 2nd half resurgence.

Based on? Morey and this Bajilica, who averaged 6 points a game last year?

Belli was terrible in the Boston series. Unplayable by the end. Completely worked on the defensive end of the floor. And while Illy had a good regular season, you can't pay a guy like that 3 years $21 million.

If Fultz is who Brown thinks he is, and his work with Hanlan pays off, you're adding a #1 overall talent to the team. Along with Ben and Joel and Dario, who will get better. Way too early to start waving the white flag.

Reactions: MJG-90

Ummm yeah. What are you talking about?

On a positive note, this is the first time in Embiid's college or pro career where has has been 100% healthy in the Summer and do a full workout program and play without restrictions.

Based on? Morey and this Bajilica, who averaged 6 points a game last year?

Belli was terrible in the Boston series. Unplayable by the end. Completely worked on the defensive end of the floor. And while Illy had a good regular season, you can't pay a guy like that 3 years $21 million.

If Fultz is who Brown thinks he is, and his work with Hanlan pays off, you're adding a #1 overall talent to the team. Along with Ben and Joel and Dario, who will get better. Way too early to start waving the white flag.
I’m not waving the white flag. This is a team that got hot and rode an historic win streak into the playoffs. That made things seem rosier than they probably should be. People now expect 60 wins next year, when it could easily wind up being 50.

I love the squad’s long-term potential, but they flopped in adding Brown’s impact veteran this offseason. That’s a fact.

I’m not waving the white flag. This is a team that got hot and rode an historic win streak into the playoffs. That made things seem rosier than they probably should be. People now expect 60 wins next year, when it could easily wind up being 50.

I love the squad’s long-term potential, but they flopped in adding Brown’s impact veteran this offseason. That’s a fact.

Two years ago they won ten games. You don’t win championships when your stars are 21 and 24. They will have $40 million in cap space for another free agent run next offseason. They have a 10+ year window where they will be a top team.

They were mediocre or worse for 30 years. They finally have promising young talent and people are ready to wet the bed over one offseason.

On a positive note, this is the first time in Embiid's college or pro career where has has been 100% healthy in the Summer and do a full workout program and play without restrictions.
That's right and he even was playing pick up games in South Philly!

But they also made it clear that if they struck out on Lebron (PG was never an option) and the Kawhi price was too high, they’d have cap room (more than just about anyone else) to go in big in the 2019 FA class. If you pull Klay away from golden state, you’ve got a championship roster and it cost you nothing but money and time.

Bjelica left because he was going to be marginalized by the end of the season. With embiid and Amir, Saric and cov and chandler, with the fultz, redick, Simmons, Zhaire and maybe Furkan and McConnell, he was never going to be a legit contributor in the end game.

The sixers just need to eat crow and hire hinkie back. All going after morey proves is that hinkie never should have been pushed out. Silver is a jerk for sticking his nose in the business of a franchise. They were going to get better on their own and colangelo got to take credit for it. Hinkie built it with the team that’s there. Let him finish the job.

And lastly, let’s talk about fultz. If he can come back and be what he was in summer league before last season, he’s a future all star. He can be the end game finisher the sixers need. His potential is through the roof and if I’m the sixers I stick to my guns. Kawhi on a rental (or even a max deal) isn’t worth Saric and fultz plus whatever else.

Two years ago they won ten games. You don’t win championships when your stars are 21 and 24. They will have $40 million in cap space for another free agent run next offseason. They have a 10+ year window where they will be a top team.

They were mediocre or worse for 30 years. They finally have promising young talent and people are ready to wet the bed over one offseason.
We're both on the right side of the equation here. The reaction stems from the franchise's bold pronouncement that a max-type veteran was needed to take the next step. But,
But they also made it clear that if they struck out on Lebron (PG was never an option) and the Kawhi price was too high, they’d have cap room (more than just about anyone else) to go in big in the 2019 FA class. If you pull Klay away from golden state, you’ve got a championship roster and it cost you nothing but money and time.

Bjelica left because he was going to be marginalized by the end of the season. With embiid and Amir, Saric and cov and chandler, with the fultz, redick, Simmons, Zhaire and maybe Furkan and McConnell, he was never going to be a legit contributor in the end game.

The sixers just need to eat crow and hire hinkie back. All going after morey proves is that hinkie never should have been pushed out. Silver is a jerk for sticking his nose in the business of a franchise. They were going to get better on their own and colangelo got to take credit for it. Hinkie built it with the team that’s there. Let him finish the job.

And lastly, let’s talk about fultz. If he can come back and be what he was in summer league before last season, he’s a future all star. He can be the end game finisher the sixers need. His potential is through the roof and if I’m the sixers I stick to my guns. Kawhi on a rental (or even a max deal) isn’t worth Saric and fultz plus whatever else.
Good post. I’d be ecstatic if Hinkie came back, but I doubt the nba would let it happen.

Kawhi on a rental (or even a max deal) isn’t worth Saric and fultz plus whatever else.

At this point, I wouldn't give the Spurs anything more than that Heat pick.

What is the starting lineup this year if everyone is healthy and Fultz has his shot back? Simmons, Fultz, Embiid, Saric and ??? Is it Covington and bring Reddick of the bench for that offensive burst? Or is it the same as last season and Fultz is the sixth man?

I’d be ecstatic if Hinkie came back, but I doubt the nba would let it happen.

Why would the NBA care at this point? The negative part of "the process" is over.

At this point, I wouldn't give the Spurs anything more than that Heat pick.

What is the starting lineup this year if everyone is healthy and Fultz has his shot back? Simmons, Fultz, Embiid, Saric and ??? Is it Covington and bring Reddick of the bench for that offensive burst? Or is it the same as last season and Fultz is the sixth man?

Why would the NBA care at this point? The negative part of "the process" is over.
It’s pure conjecture on my part. The thought is that they frown on The Process - even more so now that it appears to have worked. Why would they want to glorify that? I also think it takes a big owner to admit he was wrong. Is Harris that big a man?

To be clear I think Harris never closed the door on hinkie. It was made pretty clear by all sides that silver stepped in and made that happen. I don’t think that bridge is entirely burned. I also think it’s a pipe dream as a fan, even though I’d really like to see it happen.

As far as starting lineup, Brett brown cited often at the end of the year how their starting five was the most efficient starting five in the nba last year. When they had Saric, embiid, Simmons, redick, and Covington on the floor, they were excellent. I think you’ll see them play more of the time management at the end of games where redick comes in on offense and Covington comes out. I’m not in love with Covington at the end of games or in the playoffs. Fultz can be the upgrade there. That said, there’s a case to take out just about anyone other than Simmons or embiid.

Reactions: WestSideLion
I wanted Mitchell Robinson in the draft so bad as an insurance policy to Embiid, looks like I was right.

Only issue i see with the Sixers right now is no back-up at the power forward position for Saric. Looking at Holmes and Bolden to maybe take those minutes or they go 'small' and play Covington or Chandler at the 4 for periods of time. Illysova also played some back-up 5 to Embiid when Amir was getting outmatched on occasion which cannot happen (or Holmes again). Gotta believe Sixers will be looking to pick somebody up during the year to fill that role.

If it includes DeRozan, Toronto may have just blown up their team for a one year rental. That may have even been the fall back intention too. If they can’t win this year, and if kawhi leaves, a rebuild gets easier.

It does. You have to wonder about the move, the only thing that were holding the Raptors back in the playoffs were the Cavs. With LeBron moving on, you would think they moved to the 3rd/4th favorites in the East.

There's probably 3 unhappy players in this. Kawhi, DeRozen and Lowry. I always enjoyed the friendship between DeMar and Kyle, especially in press conferences.

What a joke.

Zach Lowe, ESPN:

Philadelphia's potential package of Robert Covington, Dario Saric, and the Heat's unprotected 2021 pick didn't move the needle. It's unclear if the Spurs had interest in Markelle Fultz; the two sides never discussed him seriously, and the Sixers would not have parted with him, sources say. The Spurs made it clear any deal with Philly would require Ben Simmons or Joel Embiid (likely Simmons), and the Sixers weren't going anywhere near that, league sources say.

Talks with Boston and Philly stalled weeks ago. There was no frenzied last call Monday or Tuesday.

Reactions: bmw199 and jrs1024
What a joke.

Zach Lowe, ESPN:

Philadelphia's potential package of Robert Covington, Dario Saric, and the Heat's unprotected 2021 pick didn't move the needle. It's unclear if the Spurs had interest in Markelle Fultz; the two sides never discussed him seriously, and the Sixers would not have parted with him, sources say. The Spurs made it clear any deal with Philly would require Ben Simmons or Joel Embiid (likely Simmons), and the Sixers weren't going anywhere near that, league sources say.

Talks with Boston and Philly stalled weeks ago. There was no frenzied last call Monday or Tuesday.
If I’m Brett brown and San Antonio asked for Simmons or embiid, I’d still be laughing into the phone right now. These are guys that have the upside of Hakeem and magic. You don’t trade guys like that. And fultz? If he can get anywhere back to what he was, he’ll be a perfect fit on the roster and a perfect complement to Simmons and embiid. Even the idea of Saric, Covington, and Miami 2021 seemed like a pretty hefty price to me, particularly given that Kawhi could be a rental. He will be in LA next year and the sixers will bring the dump truck of cash to Klay Thompson’s house.

Reactions: Judge Smails
The Sixers still have Bayless to unload. I feel another deal is coming but don’t know what to might entail. Perhaps they will package him with some others, or even the drift pick they picked up and do something more major. I can’t see them going into next season without another acquisition.

The Sixers still have Bayless to unload. I feel another deal is coming but don’t know what to might entail. Perhaps they will package him with some others, or even the drift pick they picked up and do something more major. I can’t see them going into next season without another acquisition.

Read a couple articles that have them talking to Cleveland to get Korver for Bayless. Would love to see them make this happen somehow.

76ers Trade Rumors: Jerryd Bayless-Kyle Korver Swap Has Been Discussed - Bleacher Report https://apple.news/AAevyziL4QN-Nhz2Rulf2xg

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT