ADVERTISEMENT

Phila Inquirer with a great front page article today

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
The article which dominates the front page of the Philadelphia Sunday Inquirer is about the health of the sports programs at Penn State and how the school rebounded so quickly and successfully from the sanction period. It goes into some detail on the one team concept brought in by BOB, the financial health - 40 million profit from football plus 39 million in NLC contributions last year, and all the success and championships won over the last several years by all the PSU sorts teams. Maybe someone who isn’t a nitwit can find a way to link the article in a response. It was a very encouraging piece authored by Fitzsimmons.

Last edited:
Not bad for a department led by a screwface dumbshit.

:eek:

Seriously, kudos to everyone in the athletic department for not just holding it together, but for excelling.

Reactions: TJD88
Were those profits before or after providing for the salaries of the assistant and associate athletic directors?

I wonder if any of Penn State;s power brokers have an ownership interest in this newspaper and would benefit from such a story
Does someone have a link to proof that Lubert owns a share of the Inquirer? I’ve looked in the past and haven’t found evidence (tech nitwit though). I keep hearing this, I keep asking for a link, nobody ever responds.

Last edited:
Does someone have a link to proof that Lubert owns a share of the Inquirer? I’ve looked in the past and haven’t found evidence (tech nitwit though). I keep hearing this, I keep asking for a link, nobody ever responds.
Gerry Lenfest owns the Philadelphia Media Network. The Philadelphia Media Network owns the Inky, Philly Daily News and philly.com (the web portal for both).

Gerry Lenfest owns the Philadelphia Media Network. The Philadelphia Media Network owns the Inky, Philly Daily News and philly.com (the web portal for both).
Mn, I know all of that but I keep seeing posters state that Lubert has a piece of the companies. They also post that he has editorial influence. This has been going on for at least a year and the ones making the assertions never respond. I’m certainly no fan of Lubert but if they can’t prove that he has some ownership they need to stfu or prove it.:mad::)

Mn, I know all of that but I keep seeing posters state that Lubert has a piece of the companies. They also post that he has editorial influence. This has been going on for at least a year and the ones making the assertions never respond. I’m certainly no fan of Lubert but if they can’t prove that he has some ownership they need to stfu or prove it.:mad::)
Lenfest donated the Philadelphia Media Network to the Institute for Journalism in New Media. The Institute is controlled by the nonprofit Philadelphia Foundation.

Lenfest’s gift agreement stipulates: “The editorial function and news coverage of PMN shall at all times remain independent of the institute, and the institute shall not attempt to influence or interfere with the editorial policies or decisions of PMN.”

Philadelphia Foundation
https://www.philafound.org/AboutUs/MeetOurLeadershipStaff.aspx

I don't see Lubert anywhere. Could he still have editorial influence? Maybe. He's obviously well-connected. As you state, however, let's see the evidence.

The article which dominates the front page of the Philadelphia Sunday Inquirer is about the health of the sports programs at Penn State and how the school rebounded so quickly and successfully from the sanction period. It goes into some detail on the one team concept brought in by BOB, the financial health - 40 profit from football plus 39 million in NLC contributions last year, and all the success and championships won over the last several years by all the PSU sorts teams. Maybe someone who isn’t a nitwit can find a way to link the article in a response. It was a very encouraging piece authored by Fitzsimmons.
It was the classic example of a kiss ass article

Lenfest donated the Philadelphia Media Network to the Institute for Journalism in New Media. The Institute is controlled by the nonprofit Philadelphia Foundation.

Lenfest’s gift agreement stipulates: “The editorial function and news coverage of PMN shall at all times remain independent of the institute, and the institute shall not attempt to influence or interfere with the editorial policies or decisions of PMN.”

Philadelphia Foundation
https://www.philafound.org/AboutUs/MeetOurLeadershipStaff.aspx

I don't see Lubert anywhere. Could he still have editorial influence? Maybe. He's obviously well-connected. As you state, however, let's see the evidence.
That’s the same information I found when I looked around. I’m not sure if it’s the same poster who makes the assertion but it’s annoying because there’s never any proof. They’re full of crap is what I think.

Thanks, mn.

With all due respect, sir. I answered a question asked in this thread.
Sorry if I misunderstood your post. Anyway it was great to see such a prominent strongly positive article for once in any major city newspaper. It was the most prominent article on the Sunday edition front page and followed by a full page in Section 1. They handled the BOT bull crap accurately and offered a good historical report on how and why the sports programs are so successful when the NCAA expected them to whither. Kudos to Fitzsimmons for writing this.

Reactions: EPC FAN
The photo on the front page shows Trump with PSU wrestling and Rugby and says they were at the WH on Friday. First I heard of that and great to hear!

Reactions: Nitwit
The article which dominates the front page of the Philadelphia Sunday Inquirer is about the health of the sports programs at Penn State and how the school rebounded so quickly and successfully from the sanction period. It goes into some detail on the one team concept brought in by BOB, the financial health - 40 profit from football plus 39 million in NLC contributions last year, and all the success and championships won over the last several years by all the PSU sorts teams. Maybe someone who isn’t a nitwit can find a way to link the article in a response. It was a very encouraging piece authored by Fitzsimmons.

Thank you Dave Joyner, Ira Lubert and the BOT.

The "new" article discussed by the original poster is a month old, and was posted - and discussed - on this Board at that time.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...joe-paterno-jerry-sandusky-ncaa-20171101.html

But, it sure is nice to once again illustrate the degree of conviction with which the "people" will refuse to engage so much as one synapse of reason or intelligence when digesting their "information". Staggeringly pathetic.

Exhibit A (from the article):
"The financial engine of the department, football made a $40 million profit in 2016"

1) Now, what impression is the author trying to make with that statement? I don't think it takes a brain surgeon to answer. But go ahead - answer that question for yourself.

2) Does the information he uses actually mean - or have even the slightest resemblance to - the impression that is being conveyed to the casual reader? It SHOULDN'T take a brain surgeon to answer that question either. But give it a second of critical thought.
Better yet - why wouldn't the author cite the ACTUAL INFORMATION that he is clearly trying to convey with the disingenuous information? There are two possible answers here - but both lead to the same end.

3) Why then, is THAT statement - which means nothing with regard to the message that the author is clearly trying to convey to the reader, and when, in fact, the truth is quite the opposite - being used?
Think about that for just a second - if you've got anything firing above the neck it shouldn't take much effort.

All that said, what is the fraction of the reached demographic (readers of the Inky) who would even bother to engage their God-given intelligence for even five seconds to understand what is going on - and say "Wait a F-ing minute?"

Hell, does anyone have any idea how costly a front page to a section of the Sunday Inky is?
Why would they rerun the same propaganda piece twice in month?
Who would make such a decision? And, why?
Would the "pondering" of THAT question even cause a synapse or two to ignite?.
I doubt it.

Unfortunately, I think that number is also fairly easy to approximate (start with 0%, and you won't be far off :) )

If Marx were alive today, his observation that "Religion is the opium of the people", would be adjusted by removing "Religion" and inserting "Sports".
Of that there is little doubt.

Exhibit A (among many):
Most "Penn Staters" (or most Sports Fans, for that matter)

More pathetic? Or, more sad?
That's a tougher question. Maybe a toss-up. :)
This just reminds me of billy Madison and the puppy that lost its way...

The "new" article discussed by the original poster is a month old, and was posted - and discussed - on this Board at that time.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...joe-paterno-jerry-sandusky-ncaa-20171101.html

But, it sure is nice to once again illustrate the degree of conviction with which the "people" will refuse to engage so much as one synapse of reason or intelligence when digesting their "information". Staggeringly pathetic.

Exhibit A (from the article):
"The financial engine of the department, football made a $40 million profit in 2016"

1) Now, what impression is the author trying to make with that statement? I don't think it takes a brain surgeon to answer. But go ahead - answer that question for yourself.

2) Does the information he uses actually mean - or have even the slightest resemblance to - the impression that is being conveyed to the casual reader? It SHOULDN'T take a brain surgeon to answer that question either. But give it a second of critical thought.
Better yet - why wouldn't the author cite the ACTUAL INFORMATION that he is clearly trying to convey with the disingenuous information? There are two possible answers here - but both lead to the same end.

3) Why then, is THAT statement - which means nothing with regard to the message that the author is clearly trying to convey to the reader, and when, in fact, the truth is quite the opposite - being used?
Think about that for just a second - if you've got anything firing above the neck it shouldn't take much effort.

All that said, what is the fraction of the reached demographic (readers of the Inky) who would even bother to engage their God-given intelligence for even five seconds to understand what is going on - and say "Wait a F-ing minute?"

Hell, does anyone have any idea how costly a front page to a section of the Sunday Inky is?
Why would they rerun the same propaganda piece twice in month?
Who would make such a decision? And, why?
Would the "pondering" of THAT question even cause a synapse or two to ignite?.
I doubt it.

Unfortunately, I think that number is also fairly easy to approximate (start with 0%, and you won't be far off :) )

If Marx were alive today, his observation that "Religion is the opium of the people", would be adjusted by removing "Religion" and inserting "Sports".
Of that there is little doubt.

Exhibit A (among many):
Most "Penn Staters" (or most Sports Fans, for that matter)

More pathetic? Or, more sad?
That's a tougher question. Maybe a toss-up. :)

WRONG. METRICS. :eek:

THE last I heard the Inquirer and Daily Fishwrap were owned by Brian Tierney and Bruce Toll No ties to PSU.

ADVERTISEMENT