ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Martelli let go by St Joe - With Updates

I believe Dunphy reached out Curley before Dechellis was hired. Curley never called him back. This comes from someone who worked at his golf club (Rolling Green)

Fran is retiring this year and Aaron Mckie is taking over.
Rolling Green is a great course that often gets overlooked in the pantheon of great Philly area courses.

Feinstein is a great writer. Always a good read.

Re: Martelli, well, firing on the Feast of St. Joseph was a bit tone deaf. It could have been handled better, that's for sure.

My understanding is that they wanted him to resign and bow out with grace. Even some former players thought it was time for that. The last few years have been a bit rough.

They offered Phil the chance to resign/retire. He declined. So, they fired him. Not sure how you make that work out in a "good" way. They wanted to him out, he wanted to stay. It was not going to end well.

an interesting update on Martelli. His wife and he are lifelong Philadelphia area residents; wonder if he's willing to move

Also, an interesting interview with the relatively new AD at St. Joe's, Jill Bodensteiner, who fired Martelli.

Also, an interesting interview with the relatively new AD at St. Joe's, Jill Bodensteiner, who fired Martelli.

Interesting read. Sobering in what many university's going forward will be facing. It's an arms race in regards to facilities. St. Joe's does need to upgrade. Alumni will need to come forward and donate. With declining enrollment it will be an uphill battle. Guess I look at as she fires the 3 most well known people at St. Joe's. Was it to save money? Did she see them as a threat to her? Both? What is her salary? Any bonus incentives? Granted Martelli and his recruiting have fallen off the last few years. She has put herself squarely in the cross hairs going forward if there is not improvement in all different levels. The 1 area where I think Martelli could have helped was raising money. Phil is a very personable person. If they had handled letting him go better or ease into retirement they could have used him in that way, but that ship has sailed and no way now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob78 and LionJim
Interesting read. Sobering in what many university's going forward will be facing. It's an arms race in regards to facilities. St. Joe's does need to upgrade. Alumni will need to come forward and donate. With declining enrollment it will be an uphill battle. Guess I look at as she fires the 3 most well known people at St. Joe's. Was it to save money? Did she see them as a threat to her? Both? What is her salary? Any bonus incentives? Granted Martelli and his recruiting have fallen off the last few years. She has put herself squarely in the cross hairs going forward if there is not improvement in all different levels. The 1 area where I think Martelli could have helped was raising money. Phil is a very personable person. If they had handled letting him go better or ease into retirement they could have used him in that way, but that ship has sailed and no way now.
College enrollment down for the seventh year in a row.

https://thehill.com/homenews/446107...llment-declines-for-the-seventh-year-in-a-row

It says SJU fans want SJU to be like Gonzaga and Villanova. But the problem is that it's a zero sum game or at least close to it. Every game has a winner and a loser. If SJU becomes like Gonzaga and Villanova then some other school(s) must do less well than it's doing now.

So SJU pours more resources into basketball and does better. But then the schools that SJU start beating are by definition doing worse and in response they pour more resources into basketball and start doing better and start beating SJU again. And SJU responds by putting more resources into basketball. As someone very aptly said, it's an arms race.

Reactions: LionJim
Big time college sports is on a path of mutual destruction. The money needed and the money received are continually growing.
Maybe there is no limit to consumer demand, but my mind tells me the opposite.
The other side of the story: look at how Villanova’s student body profile changed with its success in basketball.

Reactions: FightOnState

I agree that Phil M would have helped there if the split was more amicable but wants to continue coaching so that made a magnanimous split impossible. Locally, for Temple and SJU, certainly, it’s all about Villanova envy. I don’t see Wright giving anyone an opening just yet.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
Feinstein is a great writer. Always a good read.

Re: Martelli, well, firing on the Feast of St. Joseph was a bit tone deaf. It could have been handled better, that's for sure.

My understanding is that they wanted him to resign and bow out with grace. Even some former players thought it was time for that. The last few years have been a bit rough.
“Feinstein is s great writer.”

LOL

Big time college sports is on a path of mutual destruction. The money needed and the money received are continually growing.
Maybe there is no limit to consumer demand, but my mind tells me the opposite.
The other side of the story: look at how Villanova’s student body profile changed with its success in basketball.
Villanova has been successful in basketball dating back to the 50s, but I get your point.

Reactions: NovaPSULuvr
I agree that Phil M would have helped there if the split was more amicable but wants to continue coaching so that made a magnanimous split impossible. Locally, for Temple and SJU, certainly, it’s all about Villanova envy. I don’t see Wright giving anyone an opening just yet.
‘Villanova envy’

Other than Penn, it’s been that way since the 60s when I started there. But the basketball was very competitive then, unlike now.

Last edited:
Reactions: delcoLion
Phil Martelli to Michigan

He is joining Howard’s basketball staff as an assistant. While a capable coach the word out on him was that he had stopped recruiting. I’m not sure what he can bring to their program at this point.

Reactions: NedFromYork
He is joining Howard’s basketball staff as an assistant. While a capable coach the word out on him was that he had stopped recruiting. I’m not sure what he can bring to their program at this point.

Howard has no NCAA coaching experience. Martelli brings maturity, experience, understands the college game, strong recruiting contacts in the East, knows the NCAA, etc. Not a bad guy to have on your staff for 1-2 years.

The dreaded Wolverines trying to delve into Philly, who has loads of talent every year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT